Mogworld?

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Menacing Spike

Mogworld?

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:57 pm UTC

I'm surprised there isn't a topic on this; just read the book in one sitting, it's pretty awesome.
The plot is basically about an undead mage that wants to die, in a permanent fashion.

What I enjoyed most about it was that while it somewhat erred toward cliches, it was always jestingly, and it often steered clear. For instance, there is a character that would clearly be a love interest. "No. God no. We don't have glands. How would that even work?"
Their relation still grows in an interesting fashion.
Spoiler:
Yet she embraces deletion when she learns the Truth.

And ah well, it's also pretty damn witty.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Re: Mogworld?

Postby GhostWolfe » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:51 pm UTC

Mogworld is very reminiscent of Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett. It's not quite up there in quality, but it's Yahtzee doing his thing for however many pages, and I enjoyed it. If you've played any RPGs (though WoW in particular), there's some good use of references that made me laugh.

I can see a lot of Yahtzee in the protagonist, Jim.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Cinead

Postby Cinead » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:12 am UTC

Just finished reading it myself, and I found it a pretty good book. Not anything spectacular, but amusing enough and fairly original. Definately feels like Yahtzee himself, which I guess is the point. However I felt the 'Deus Ex Machina' moment towards the end was a bit of a cheap cop up, if you know what bit I'm thinking of.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:45 am UTC

Just finished it. I thought the writing was very amateurish, but the book had some awesome ideas and got stronger as it progressed, rather than petering out towards the end like a lot of mediocre books. Wish people would stop comparing Croshaw to Pratchett, and Adams though. I can see what they mean, but it's only skin deep.

Cinead wrote:However I felt the 'Deus Ex Machina' moment towards the end was a bit of a cheap cop up, if you know what bit I'm thinking of.

The way it is though, you can pretty much ignore it completely if you want. The story ended when
Spoiler:
Jim was deleted
and everything after that was just
Spoiler:
two guys dicking around with backups
That's if I'm thinking the same event as you.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:32 am UTC

I finally got around to reading this. It's definitely not bad, but it's also got a lot of rough edges, which kind of makes me wonder what sort of editors Dark Horse has working for them, if they have any. The inconsistency of the world was particularly jarring (at one point he brazenly tosses out "correctional fluid"), to which the obvious response is that Mr. Croshaw probably didn't want to let consistency get in the way of a good joke. Which is fine, I guess, although the jokes don't quite seem to hit hard enough to make the sacrifice worthwhile. Nonetheless, I'll probably buy his new book if a convenient opportunity arises.

For some reason it never occurred to me that he would do the audiobook himself. Has anyone here checked it out?

Return to “Books”