Recomend me some Sci-Fi !

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

CivilDefense700

Re: Recomend me some Sci-Fi !

Postby CivilDefense700 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:37 pm UTC

Yeahhhhh... I read Brave new world in high school... didn't think it was that great.
All I have to say about it is odd... just odd. :?
"I happen to have access to one of the sexiest lasers on the eastern seaboard."

Malice

Postby Malice » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:36 pm UTC

CivilDefense700 wrote:Yeahhhhh... I read Brave new world in high school... didn't think it was that great.

Brave New World's unique among the dystopian fiction I've read, in that I was actually pretty ambivalent for most of it. I mean, you read 1984 and it's relentless horror--there's little or nothing to suggest that any part of the totalitarian regime was a good thing. But in Brave New World, there were things to like about it; yeah, they were oppressed, but they were also happy. I was conflicted for most of it, and that made it interesting.

procrastinator

Postby procrastinator » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:29 pm UTC

I just went and spent 30 quid on amazon thanks to this thread. :oops:

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:18 am UTC

Probably (definitely) been said already, but:

Anything by Philip K. Dick
Ender's Game and most of the accompanying series
Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy and all the related series

...in no particular order.

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:37 am UTC

Start with Ender's Game. If you start with Philip K. Dick, you head asplode.
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

Aerol

Postby Aerol » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:23 am UTC

Aluminus wrote:Start with Ender's Game.

QFT

I'm sorta surprised to hear the negative feelings about Neuromancer. I think that's one of the best sci-fi books around.

LTerminus

Postby LTerminus » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:54 am UTC

Two pages and no mention of David Weber? For shame! His Dahak series is really good, and so is the Honor Harrington[sp?] series. And both are available online (somewhere) as free ebooks...

pixelfehler

Postby pixelfehler » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:26 pm UTC

Eazy1980 wrote:If you really must know what happened on that smuggling run (try and read it again first! and if you can track down the Greg Mandell series DO SO) it's under the spoiler tag ---->
Spoiler:
It's actually quite simple, i figured it out before Syrinx (sp?) did. He had another ship following him, under full stealth. Hence why the jumps were taking so long. Just before their final jump in system, they dumped the coils into space for their partner to pick up. EASY!
Thanks! Another loose end tied up :)
Spoiler:
Oh, meh, I briefly thought it was something like that, but then decided Edenist tech would be superior to any Adamist tech like stealth or, well, jettising cargo in space...
And now I am supposed to read another series? :P At the moment I prefer stand alone works, though I tolerate re-use of a thought up universe, given the other books are not essential (Banks Culture meta-series). E.g. the entire Nights Dawn trilogy would have been 6 books here in Europe and each would have been useless on its own.

Malice wrote:Brave New World's unique among the dystopian fiction I've read, in that I was actually pretty ambivalent for most of it. I mean, you read 1984 and it's relentless horror--there's little or nothing to suggest that any part of the totalitarian regime was a good thing. But in Brave New World, there were things to like about it; yeah, they were oppressed, but they were also happy. I was conflicted for most of it, and that made it interesting.
I would certanly like to read more dystopian sci-fi, or in general see more gloomy settings which make deeper points (and don't push for a deux ex machina happy end). E.g. Brave New World's Is there a right to remain ignorant and happy on a "chemical" level?, come to think of it, much the Culture is not that different in that regard.
"Say something witty and the world will remember you forever" --Anonymous

Enneract

Postby Enneract » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:15 pm UTC

Charles Sheffield. Anything of his, anything, including but not limited to (in my personal order of preference)

Brother to Dragons
The Web Between Worlds
The Mind Pool
The McAndrew Chronicles

Cold as Ice
The Ganymede Club
Dark as Day

(The Heritage Universe)
Summertide
Divergence
Transcendence
Convergence
Resurgence

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:58 pm UTC

Aluminus wrote:Start with Ender's Game. If you start with Philip K. Dick, you head asplode.

I meant the list was in no particular order, I didn't mean there wasn't one.

FoodSciGuy06

Postby FoodSciGuy06 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:19 am UTC

I'm currently reading Out of the Silent Planet by CS Lewis. While he may be most well known for his fantasy titles and theological writings, he had a less popular sci fi series that I find rather fascinating. There is some evidence of rational thought about the laws that govern the alien world, however, like most sci-fi works, it helps to no think too hard about some of the forces at work. It's also really short (at least the first book is) so if you decide you didn't like it, you wouldn't have wated too much time.

clayasaurus

Postby clayasaurus » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:58 am UTC

Aluminus wrote:Phillip K. Dick (Lots of Mars colonization, lots of psychedelic drugs, lots of androids)

indeed, highly recommend Flow my tears, the policeman said and Do androids dream of electric sheep
I lie down in fields and listen to Underworld a lot.

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:09 pm UTC

I agree with all of the people who said Night's Dawn Trilogy, Ender's Shadow, and Snow Crash. Those books are must reads.

My additions that I would consider classics/must reads of the genre are:

"The Book of the New Sun" series by Gene Wolfe
"Forever War" / "Forever Peace" by Joe Haldeman

Fun reads:
"Armor" by John Steakley
"Vampire$" by John Steakley (dollar sign was intentional)
"Altered Carbon" (all Takeshi Kovacs novels actually, this is the first) by Richard Morgan
"Market Forces" by Richard Morgan
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:14 am UTC

I thought "Dying of the Light" by George R.R. Martin was very good. While he is more well known for his recent fantasy stuff, some of his older sci-fi works are probably better, imo. Especially that one.

Nyssa

Postby Nyssa » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:37 am UTC

I read Neuromancer two weeks ago, and I wasn't overly impressed. I think the major issue with that book is that he created all these terms and never defined them in the book. Now some of these items or practices exist under different names and most of the battle in that book is determining what means what. While it may not be his intent (or his writing style to define self-created terms), it smacks of elitism, catch your own ride, if you don't get it, tough for you. I'm still going to read it again, just to clear the fog, but I can completely understand why there is negative criticism about it.

Anyhow, back on topic, I throughly recommend the Riverworld Series by Phillip Jose Farmer. Admittedly, after the first two books, it weakens a bit, but those first two are still amazing.

1: To Your Scattered Bodies Go
2: The Fabulous Riverboat
3: The Dark Design
4: The Magic Labyrinth
5: Gods of Riverworld

Also, David Gerrold (who, oddly enough, wrote The Trouble with Tribbles episode of Star Trek), wrote a great series called "The War Against the Chtorr". It was supposedly going to be seven books, but he stopped after the fourth. Very interesting, self- and world-reflections (along with the usual action, fighting, survival, etc) of a world slowly being invaded by hostile aliens.

1: A Matter for Men
2: A Day for Damnation
3: A Rage for Revenge
4: A Season for Slaughter
I've been sent to give you a singing mammogram.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:24 am UTC

Nyssa wrote:I read Neuromancer two weeks ago, and I wasn't overly impressed. I think the major issue with that book is that he created all these terms and never defined them in the book. Now some of these items or practices exist under different names and most of the battle in that book is determining what means what. While it may not be his intent (or his writing style to define self-created terms), it smacks of elitism, catch your own ride, if you don't get it, tough for you. I'm still going to read it again, just to clear the fog, but I can completely understand why there is negative criticism about it.

An interesting interpretation. Much the same could be said for his take on steampunk, "The Difference Engine", which for some reason only included a much-needed glossary of terms and people ("The Difference Dictionary") in foreign-language versions.

Starglider

Recommend me some good Science Fiction.

Postby Starglider » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:23 am UTC

I don't know where to start. What is some good Sci-Fi about humanity, not just dumb fantasy worlds or whatever.

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:45 pm UTC

For Social Fiction (humanitarian speculative fiction) read Island by Huxley. (Warning: contains use of psylocybin mushrooms)
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

Starglider

Postby Starglider » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:45 pm UTC

Aluminus wrote:For Social Fiction (humanitarian speculative fiction) read Island by Huxley. (Warning: contains use of psylocybin mushrooms)

Heh, it's funny you recommend that, because I'm 2/3 of the way through it right now :P

Gravitas Shortfall

Re: Recommend me some good Science Fiction.

Postby Gravitas Shortfall » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:38 pm UTC

Starglider wrote:I don't know where to start. What is some good Sci-Fi about humanity, not just dumb fantasy worlds or whatever.

A good place to start when looking for good SF is to just check the list of Hugo award winners and nominees. They are all for the most part quality literature, and the not the "dumb fantasy worlds" that much of the population seems to associate with science fiction. There some exceptions (*cough*HarryPotter*cough*), but they're easy enough to avoid. Actually, the 2007 winner, Rainbows End, is one of the best books I've read in some time, and I think would fit what you're looking for.
We come from people who brought us up to believe that life is a struggle. And if you should ever feel really happy, be patient. This will pass.
- Garrison Keillor -

nsmjohn

Re: Recommend me some good Science Fiction.

Postby nsmjohn » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:09 pm UTC

Starglider wrote:I don't know where to start. What is some good Sci-Fi about humanity, not just dumb fantasy worlds or whatever.

I recommend the short story collection "Endangered Species" by Gene Wolfe. The overall collection is a little over 500 pages but contains 30+ different stories. While not all of them are set on Earth, or near modern times, few of them spend time exploring strange lands or aliens. The stories instead explore different aspects of humanity and what it means to be human. I found the whole collection compelling and read it cover to cover as I would a regular novel in a few days. He is also one of Neil Gaiman's favorite authors and is higly acclaimed in the writer community.
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

Starglider

Postby Starglider » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:46 am UTC

Thanks for the help. I just want to clarify something: I'm not asking for books that don't involve other planets and stuff--by all means, be as outlandish as possible--I just want that to be a tool for exploring humanity, rather than the entire point of the book. For example, I've read the Dune books, and loved them, because the intricate universe was used to show patterns in humanity as a whole, rather than standing for itself.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:55 pm UTC

Coyote and Coyote Rising are quite good books. Some of the science and logic is a bit off but it's not too noticeable. There's a third book in the series but I haven't got round to reading it yet (haven't visited the library in months and I have plenty of books I need to read before it anyway).

Nyssa

Postby Nyssa » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:52 pm UTC

Starglider wrote: just want to clarify something: I'm not asking for books that don't involve other planets and stuff--by all means, be as outlandish as possible--I just want that to be a tool for exploring humanity, rather than the entire point of the book. For example, I've read the Dune books, and loved them, because the intricate universe was used to show patterns in humanity as a whole, rather than standing for itself.

Which is exactly why I like the Riverworld Series and the War Against the Chtorr series, though the Riverworld series is more about groups of people and individuals rather than humanity as a whole. Chtorr, though, is great for humanity as a whole and individual interpretation. It has some amazing philosophies stashed in it.

zomgmouse

Postby zomgmouse » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:00 am UTC

Starglider wrote:Thanks for the help. I just want to clarify something: I'm not asking for books that don't involve other planets and stuff--by all means, be as outlandish as possible--I just want that to be a tool for exploring humanity, rather than the entire point of the book. For example, I've read the Dune books, and loved them, because the intricate universe was used to show patterns in humanity as a whole, rather than standing for itself.

Vonnegut, Vonnegut, Vonnegut.
Kilgore Trout :wink: .
"Alf Todd," said Ukridge, soaring to an impressive burst of imagery, "has about as much chance as a one-armed blind man in a dark room trying to shove a pound of melted butter into a wild cat's left ear with a red-hot needle." P.G. Wodehouse

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:10 am UTC

Malice wrote:
CivilDefense700 wrote:Yeahhhhh... I read Brave new world in high school... didn't think it was that great.

Brave New World's unique among the dystopian fiction I've read, in that I was actually pretty ambivalent for most of it. I mean, you read 1984 and it's relentless horror--there's little or nothing to suggest that any part of the totalitarian regime was a good thing. But in Brave New World, there were things to like about it; yeah, they were oppressed, but they were also happy. I was conflicted for most of it, and that made it interesting.

The Giver was like this as well. Everyone was happy, everyone had their purpose in an evironment that is so structured you're STILL learning about it 3/4 of the way through the (imo, entirely too short) story.

If you don't mind having some of the softer sciences (anthropology, sociology, psychology, linguistics) tossed into your sci-fi i suggest the Riverworld series by Philip Jose Farmer. the basic premise is everyone on earth who has died at X-point in time has been resurrected on a strange planet or in a strange place, and they don't know why. Its like a grand social experiment, but it follows Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) as the main character. i haven't finished all of them yet, so i'm afraid i can't give you any more info other than so far its BAD ASS. not lasers and monsters bad ass but very interesting.

for lasers and monsters bad ass i suggest the alien vs predator books.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:57 pm UTC

I read the first two or three Riverworld books and enjoyed them, but if the INTERNET is to be believed, the series apparently falls apart shortly after where I stopped reading.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Nyssa

Postby Nyssa » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I read the first two or three Riverworld books and enjoyed them, but if the INTERNET is to be believed, the series apparently falls apart shortly after where I stopped reading.

The internet would never lie to you. The internet is your friend.

And they do. I completely lost interest because it was so bad I could shove through it just to finish off the series.

Pathway
Leon Sumbitches...?

Postby Pathway » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:03 am UTC

CivilDefense700 wrote:Good recommendations so far.

Dune though I'm not sure about, I've seen the movie and if it's anything like the actual novels I don't think I'd get very into it. A little to fantasy-ish for me (riding giant sand worms, life altering substance, strange powers).

Was it the 1984 David Lynch version, with Sting? You should read the book in any case, it's nothing like the movie in many important ways. I don't know what I can say without ruining things for you. But start with the original Dune--this is mandatory. Read it slowly--this is also mandatory.

A lot of Dune is ecology, politics, and religion, which quite frankly does sound really boring to the uninitiated. But that's why you have to read Dune: to find out why it's not.

LTerminus wrote:Two pages and no mention of David Weber? For shame! His Dahak series is really good, and so is the Honor Harrington[sp?] series. And both are available online (somewhere) as free ebooks...

David Weber is a decent worldbuilder, but he's formulaic, unoriginal, and heavy-handed, and he fails pretty badly at English 101. I've read a lot of his stuff, and while it is great fun, I would look elsewhere if I wanted to be challenged or really intrigued. It's just space opera with ambition, minus any sense of how words should fit together.

And he also misuses the word "know." (Hint: You can't know something that's not true. You can think you know it, but that's something entirely different.)

He doesn't even get to be named explicitly in the same paragraph as Heinlein, Herbert, Clarke, Asimov, Bradbury, or Card (who is getting worse in his old age, but who has always been able to string a sentence together with some poetic vision), all of whom are/were not only good SF writers, but just good writers more generally.

Which is not to say don't read him. Just... read those others first.
SargeZT wrote:Oh dear no, I love penguins. They're my favorite animal ever besides cows.

The reason I would kill penguins would be, no one ever, ever fucking kills penguins.

Enneract

Postby Enneract » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:33 am UTC

Whoever recommended Peter F Hamilton - thanks, really enjoying Night's Dawn trilogy.

Reid

Postby Reid » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:05 pm UTC

I've always been a big fan of Aristoi, by Walter Jon Williams.

The early Man-Kzin Wars books were pretty enjoyable as well, although I think the best stories in the bunch were also published in a seperate book called Inconstant Star.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:20 pm UTC

Hamilton's Fallen Dragon is a great book. Unless you develop a taste for epic space opera, don't go for the series.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:51 am UTC

Dune is indeed mandatory and should be first on anyone's list. After that, check out
Greg Bear. Eon (not "aeon") and Eternity are both pure brilliance. Also, I loved The Forge of God. All are good, hard SF with a focus on humanity. The writing is very, very good too...not only are the ideas fun to think about, but the books are great to read.

Ati
Location: I'll give you a hint: it's dry, and slightly radioactive.

Postby Ati » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:30 pm UTC

(In no particular order)

Illium and Olympos, by Dan Simmons
The Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams
The Foundation Series, by Isaac Asimov
Rendevouz with Rama, by Arthur C. Clark
So You Want to Be a Wizard (borderline fantasy), by Diane Duane
Shade's Children , by Garth Nix
Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card
Ender's Shadow, by Orson Scott Card
Galatea 2.2, by Richard Powers
The Diamond Age, by Neal Stephenson
Snow Crash, by Neal Stephenson
Accelerando, by Charles Stross
Singularity Sky, by Charles stross,
Glasshouse, by Charles Stross
Iron sunrise, by Charles stross
A fire upon the deep, by Vernor Vinge (have not finished this one yet, but it looks promising)
A Wrinkle in Time (borderline fantasy) by Madeline L'engle
Lord of Light, by Roger Zelazny
Escape Pod (an SF podcast that does some really excellent short stories in audiobook format)
Sphere, by Michael Crichton
Prey, by Michael Crichton
The Terminal Man, by Michail Crichton
Jurassic Park, by Michael Crichton
Timeline, by Michael Crichton
Feed, by M.T. Anderson (caveat emptor, this book left me feeling physically ill by the time I finished it)
Cat's Cradel (and really, anything else written by Kurt Vonnegut)

And, finally, in the interest of complete shamelessness, I'll recommend my latest novel and my sci-fi short stories:
http://www.posthumanparables.com

Best of luck!
Ati
I can kill you with my brain.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:59 pm UTC

More stuff that's been said already:
1984 by George Orwell
Dune by... Frank Herbert?

Sinten

Postby Sinten » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:27 am UTC

Try out Vonnegut's The Sirens of Titan

l33t_sas

Postby l33t_sas » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:43 am UTC

I've just discovered this author called Kage Baker and she's very good. I randomly picked up her book at the library, saw praise by Ursula Le Guin on the front cover and decided to read it. Was not disappointed. If you're into the whole soft people-based SF then give this a read.
You're thinking of a Pegasus. Unicorns don't fly, they just sort of... plummet.

Kabann

Postby Kabann » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:50 am UTC

Excellent thought-provoking classic scifi: The Left Hand of Darkness By Ursula LeGuin.

Excellent and very unusual: Nova by Samuel Delaney

All-around phenomenal: Cyteen, Downbelow Station by C.J. Cherryh
My goal in life is to have money, power, fame, wisdom, and love.
So far, I've got a sense of humor.
It's a good start.

oldogre

Postby oldogre » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:20 am UTC

Marbles wrote:Kind of weird and obscure one: Piers Anthony's Mode series. They sort of wander between sci-fi and fantasy... But I really enjoyed them. I have yet to ever meet anyone else who has read them, though.

Read any Piers Anthony, but avoid the Xanth novels unless you love bad puns as much as I do.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

Nyssa wrote:I read Neuromancer two weeks ago, and I wasn't overly impressed. I think the major issue with that book is that he created all these terms and never defined them in the book. Now some of these items or practices exist under different names and most of the battle in that book is determining what means what. While it may not be his intent (or his writing style to define self-created terms), it smacks of elitism, catch your own ride, if you don't get it, tough for you. I'm still going to read it again, just to clear the fog, but I can completely understand why there is negative criticism about it.

Nah, read Pattern Recognition. It is brilliant!
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Return to “Books”