Books fleeting thoughts

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Re: Books fleeting thoughts

Postby PAstrychef » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:35 pm UTC

Nope, in Room the characters are captives, who are not part of the bad guys deeds. They are not used to lure in others, or made to choose life or death for others. It was an ok read, but didn’t use this plot device.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:00 am UTC

Just finished A Canticle for Leibowitz. Kinda hated it.
Spoiler:
it's a story about civilisation rebuilding after nuclear war, and somehow the exact same power structures as were present in nineteen hundredwhenever materialize in the new world. The heroes of the book are the monks of an abbey for St Leibowitz, who saved books from the old world. It feels to me like the monks also brought all the old world's ills with them into the new world since the new one so perfectly copied the old one.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:13 pm UTC

I’m listening to some of P.D. James’s mysteries, which are set in the late 1990s. Still excellently written, they have taken on a sheen of history-many of them are concerned with the movement of women out of the home and into professions. Indeed, one of them is titled An Unsuitable Job For A Woman. (It’s about a young woman becoming a PI.)
It’s curious how quickly some things age. All of those decades of USA vs USSR Cold War spy thrillers became historical diction almost overnight.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:21 pm UTC

Kewangji wrote:Just finished A Canticle for Leibowitz. Kinda hated it.

I quite enjoyed it
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:08 pm UTC

doogly wrote:
Kewangji wrote:Just finished A Canticle for Leibowitz. Kinda hated it.

I quite enjoyed it

I wanted it to be weirder and less Catholic.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Return to “Books”