Dealing with ebook DRM

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Phasma Felis

Dealing with ebook DRM

Postby Phasma Felis » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:31 pm UTC

(Maybe this should go in Help Desk? I'm really not sure.)

I like reading books on my phone. It's always in my pocket, it's smaller even than a small paperback, and I can read it on a park bench at night. I'm grown-up enough and well-paid enough that I don't mind paying for books, either.

And yet I still find myself pirating ebooks. Why? Because Amazon's Android reader is shit, Google's is better but still doesn't let me copy stuff to quote or Google it, and both of them are fully DRM-encumbered.

I want to pay for books, and I want a better selection than the slim pickings on the Pirate Bay. I know there are tools to strip ebook DRM, but in my experience so far they are not easy to use, and they produce filenames that look like a hex editor threw up, and they tend to strip at least some of the formatting, which is not cool. I want to see chapter headings and italics as the author intended.

Help me figure out a workflow to automate this. Ideally, I would like to have a scripted process that watches the relevant folders on my PC, autoconverts incoming ebooks to .epub (or, I guess, .mobi) and uploads them directly to my Moon+ Reader library--or, failing that, to Dropbox. Something that works on Windows would be nice, but I have Cygwin on my Windows desktop and OS X on my laptop and I'm pretty decent at bash scripting, so that may be more practical. I've heard good things about Calibre as a utility; I didn't like the interface for actual reading, but I suppose I could change my mind.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Re: Dealing with ebook DRM

Postby no-genius » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:28 pm UTC

The humble e-book bundles are drm-free in ePub, mobi, PDF and it looks like it's going to be a new one fortnightly from now on.

Edit: Just found out about story bundle, the current bundle has both Trial Of The Clone books.
Last edited by no-genius on Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Phasma Felis

Postby Phasma Felis » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:47 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:The humble e-book bundles are drm-free in ePub, mobi, PDF and it looks like it's going to be a new one fortnightly from now on.

Sure, and there's always Project Gutenberg and various other ways to get free+libre books. Right now, though, I'm mainly looking for a solution to "I want to read book X, let's see if it's on Amazon" rather than "I want something to read, let's see what available this week."

PracticalM

Postby PracticalM » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:09 pm UTC

There are tools like epub converter to remove DRM from books you've bought from Amazon. http://www.epubconverter.com
I prefer to just not buy any books that have DRM. (Which means the paper version mostly.)

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:17 pm UTC

For books from amazon I use calibre to convert them and remove drm. It needs plugins to do that however and I forgot which ones but I suppose it shouldn't be hard to find them. However once it works it is quite easy. Use kindle for the pc to download the books (copying from the kindle doesn't work), drag and drop them in the calibre window and convert them.

Return to “Books”