Books like Structure of Scientific Revolutions/How to solve

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

ahazaq2

Books like Structure of Scientific Revolutions/How to solve

Postby ahazaq2 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:56 pm UTC

Hey guys. I'm trying to go on a dual (history of science)/ (books on cognition) binge.

For the first, I'm more interested in the history of how breakthroughs are made than I am in biographies of particular people, but I'm sure many instances of the latter will yield inductive knowledge of the former. For the second, I'm more interested in books along the lines of How to Solve It by Polya, than I would be in a book about the biological basis of cognition, for example.

Any suggestions?

LaserGuy

Re: Books like Structure of Scientific Revolutions/How to so

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

Have you read The Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Brison. It's sort of along the lines of what you're looking for, maybe.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:44 pm UTC

Eurekas and Euphorias - the Oxford book of scientific anecdotes is a really interesting read for how some discoveries where made (there was one where the key was a change in the night janitor of the lab which affected the circadian rhythms of the chickens and stopped the ones which had been experimented on from dying as the new janitor didn't (or did) turn the lights off when they left (I think, I wish this book wasn't at my grandmother's house!).
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Puppyclaws

Postby Puppyclaws » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:15 pm UTC

I might recommend Feyerabend's "Against Method." Slightly polemical in nature (much like Structures of Scientific Revolutions) but he does show scientific discoveries throughout, though generally only in the context of important discoveries being made in ways that transgress our typical approach to scientific methods.

Steven Jay Gould's popular science writings may also appeal to you, and are considerably less driven by philosophical argument (unlike Structures or Against Method).

Mambrino

Postby Mambrino » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:20 pm UTC

Puppyclaws wrote:I might recommend Feyerabend's "Against Method." Slightly polemical in nature (much like Structures of Scientific Revolutions) but he does show scientific discoveries throughout, though generally only in the context of important discoveries being made in ways that transgress our typical approach to scientific methods.

Claiming there's no scientific method and it's impossible to find one, thus science can't objectively be distinguished from pseudoscience only slightly polemical? Okay, I I don't remember if all that was in "Against Method". However he has a point in that the history of science isn't all victorious triumph and ironclad progress of heroic galileos, newtons and einsteins scrupulously applying the empiricist-rationalist scientific method given by Gods of Science. You might also be interested in some critique on Kuhn's theory of scientific revolutions, though I can't help with any English titles.

Return to “Books”