Dream find?

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Ended

Dream find?

Postby Ended » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:07 pm UTC

Somewhat along the lines of 'Brag about your boots!', but (I think) different enough to warrant its own topic:

What would you most like to find when browsing through an obscure second-hand bookshop?

(Personal dream-finds rather than simply the most valuable.)

I was staying in someone's house a while ago and noticed they had a first (Canadian) edition of 1984. I showed it to my dad, who pretended to read an inscription from the fly leaf: 'To dearest Aldous Huxley, with all my love, G. Orwell'.

A mint first print of the British first edition of 1984 with that inscription would pretty much make my day.
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

AKAnotu

Postby AKAnotu » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:47 pm UTC

first drafts of the scripts from the first season of star trek

man, those would be worth soo much on ebay
Abraham Lincoln wrote:If you are racist, I will attack you with the north.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:09 pm UTC

I expect all answers to be:

"Jesse".

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:22 am UTC

In a tiny shack on Cape Cod I found some of the first printings of the first three Hardy Boys. Pity I hate the Hardy Boys.

djn

Postby djn » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:03 am UTC

A first print of Hamsun's Sult would be high on the list. It's an odd and interesting book, and being his breakthrough, the first edition isn't too common.

I'd like an old, leather-bound of The Origin of the Species, as well. For actual reference, something from after the most important changes were made would be preferable. Late 1870s, perhaps?

Severus Severance

Postby Severus Severance » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:15 am UTC

Hmm... first edition of Carrie, and some vintage Sherlock Holmes collections. Ooh, and the book I really really want is a collection of Twilight Zone-themed stories that's at my grandma's house in Arkansas. Love. That. Book. Mint condition, preferably.

And some Poe. Leather-bound, please.

*heart*

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:56 am UTC

Jes....

I mean, uh... like, a .. uh.. old book and stuff... with junk.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:28 am UTC

Copy of the Neverending Story as it's described in the book: shimmering, iridescent silk cover, embossed or, even better, metal Auryn on the cover.

When I was very young we had a copy with the embossed Auryn, but then my grandfather lost it. It's been my goal ever since to find one.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

Malice

Postby Malice » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:02 am UTC

Severus Severance wrote:Hmm... first edition of Carrie

That reminds me of that tiny edition they did of King's "Firestarter", bound in asbestos.

Of course, it'd be poisonous to read, so perhaps that's not the best idea...

Ended

Postby Ended » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:14 pm UTC

djn wrote:A first print of Hamsun's Sult

Word. One of my favourite novels. I've even considered learning Norwegian just so I can read it in the original. (I've read two of the English translations and they differ quite a bit).
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

the Cow
Today India, tomorrow the world!

Postby the Cow » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:28 pm UTC

Jesster wrote:I expect all answers to be:

"Jesse".

Not customers?
...the whim of a hat.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:20 pm UTC

They interrupt me when I'm playing Morrowind.

djn

Postby djn » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:03 am UTC

Ended wrote:
djn wrote:A first print of Hamsun's Sult

Word. One of my favourite novels. I've even considered learning Norwegian just so I can read it in the original. (I've read two of the English translations and they differ quite a bit).

Hamsun is just new enough to be close to modern Norwegian, too. It's also not - I think - the hardest language around. It's a reasonable germanic language with a much reduced rule set compared to German.
Dig into this some day, and ignore everything marked nynorsk, dative, or optative as irrelevant. (Nynorsk is a variant, bit like Scots vs. English. Dative only lingers in some obscure dialects. Optative is fossilized in a few expressions.)

Ended

Postby Ended » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:23 am UTC

^Thanks djn, useful stuff.

I'd also like a first edition of 'A Mathematician's Apology'. Very cool book (although I don't agree with everything in it).
-dubsola

teamcorndog

Postby teamcorndog » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:53 am UTC

The best thing (at least for comedic value) I've found at a garage sale is a science book from 1851. it's fun to laugh condescendingly at the cute little scientific ideas the world had back then.
But as for what I'd like to find....hmm...I like seemingly-innocent looking children's books that are actually full of shocking who-the-eff-reads-this-to-their-kids material. usually very old or in a foreign language.

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:23 am UTC

Ok so it's not a huge deal, but I'd really like to get my hands on the 10th and last edition of Mindwarp. Used to be a pretty cool series when I was young and I'd like to just finish off my collection of the series, you know? What's weird is that books #1-9 sell for like $3 but the cheapest abebooks.com has for #10 is in the hundreds. I really don't get it.
Belial wrote:Time to hide in the CAVE OF AWESOME.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:28 am UTC

marshlight wrote:Ok so it's not a huge deal, but I'd really like to get my hands on the 10th and last edition of Mindwarp. Used to be a pretty cool series when I was young and I'd like to just finish off my collection of the series, you know? What's weird is that books #1-9 sell for like $3 but the cheapest abebooks.com has for #10 is in the hundreds. I really don't get it.

What was it's title? I can dig through my bookshop and see what is buried beneath the piles.

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:36 am UTC

Hmm! As unlikely as it is that you would have it (and further, that I could afford it) it's called Meltdown and it's by Chris Archer (cheesy picture). Thank you!

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:38 am UTC

Check your PM's.

Don't get your hopes up, but maybe I might've helped.

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:04 am UTC

I LOVE YOU JESSTER.

You win this thread!

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:05 am UTC

Haha, so it suits then?

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:10 am UTC

I never would have thought to look at Australian sites. Sure, the shipping is a pain but it's still wayyyy cheaper than anything else I've seen. So yeah, definitely suits me!

Still don't understand why it's so hard to find when it's just a kid book, and a relatively normal one at that, but it doesn't matter now! Wheee!

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:13 am UTC

Some books just get like that when they're out of print. Kids books are usually the worst because kids don't look after them, and parents don't bother. Just throw them out when the kid gets older.

That Australian site is my last resort, when a book is out of print, they will often do a special one-off publishing of it just for your order.

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:24 am UTC

Wow, that's amazing. It's always good to know backup sites like that... I've been searching for a few books this summer because I actually have income (now success looks complete!), and I'm sure the need will arise again, so I will definitely save those sites. Again, you rock.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:25 am UTC

Yay, I helped someone.

My superhero status is resumed.

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:51 am UTC

the Cow wrote:
Jesster wrote:I expect all answers to be:

"Jesse".

Not customers?

Did anyone else get a picture of dozens of Jesses perusing a bookstore as customers?

Anyway, my two goals are stories in Latin (Harry Potter or Cat in the Hat or something) and a book of cummings. I'd like to avoid ordering them off the internet (finding book is like a project for me, a treasure hunt, so the internet feels like cheating) and as there is only one bookstore in my (16000+ pop.) town, I'll have to wait until I get to the city until I can complete my quest.

meta

Postby meta » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:05 pm UTC

Jesster wrote:That Australian site is my last resort, when a book is out of print, they will often do a special one-off publishing of it just for your order.

*blinks*

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:49 pm UTC

meta wrote:
Jesster wrote:That Australian site is my last resort, when a book is out of print, they will often do a special one-off publishing of it just for your order.

*blinks*

I realsie there was no site in these posts, I PM'ed her some links.

If you're blinking at the one-off publishing, it happens quite often, although there's often a minimum order so you are added to a queue and once enough orders ar ebuilt up they run a one-off print.

meta

Postby meta » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:28 pm UTC

I was indeed blinking at the one-off publishing, mostly because I hadn't considered the minimum order thing. I thought you meant they'd fire up the presses for one single copy of the book you were looking for, which would be rather astounding.

My dream find would be a copy (original or fascimilie) of the manuscript of Wittgenstein's Tractatus. For some reason I am unbearably curious to know what it looked like as he put it down on paper.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:37 pm UTC

I really want to read Seduction of the Innocent by Fredric Wertham, just to laugh at his claims and read a piece of Comics' history.

Return to “Books”