Have you published any books?

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

tendays

Have you published any books?

Postby tendays » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

I hope there isn't already a topic like this? I looked at the first two pages. I suppose I should have used the search function :oops:

Browsing through the topic it seems most threads are about reading books rather than writing (or do those belong to the your art and links forum maybe? I shall have a look over there afterwards).

Anyway, to the topic of this thread.

Have you guys published fiction? If yes did you go through the traditional publisher route by submitting your manuscript to publishers until one accepts it (or if you are awesome enough, picked a publisher who published it right away). Or did you go the easier but (potentially less lucrative and gratifying?) self-publication.

I have done exclusively self-publication so far (with lulu.com) but am starting of thinking of hunting "traditional" publishers, since my books only sell to my friends and family to whom I tell about them (and their friends and families, but as far as I can tell it doesn't go beyond that).
<Will> s/hate/love/
Hammer wrote:We are only mildly modly. :D
Beware of the shrolymerase!

Tyndmyr

Re: Have you published any books?

Postby Tyndmyr » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:04 am UTC

I wish...completing a book has thus far eluded me. Self publishing seems awesome if you've basically already nailed the other aspects of traditional publishers(editing, publicity, etc, etc), but given the level of effort required to complete a book, the added support from a traditional publisher still seems pretty valuable for most people.

Honestly, if you're only selling to friends and family now, you probably don't have much to lose by submitting it to a publisher.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:44 pm UTC

I have 3 published collections of my comic series "Moo & Keo". I know they're graphic novels and not novels as such but a lot of the behind the scenes stuff is essentially the same.

My first two books were published by an indie publisher which is an imprint of Markosia and did quite well. I was lucky in the fact that I met the guy that runs the studio through a friend and he saw how well I sold other stuff at conventions and took a chance on me.

My third book is where I took the leap and set up a small publishing house myself. I bought a block of ISBN numbers and got quotes from printers, etc.

Personally I'm a big advocate of doing as much stuff for yourself as you can. Things like Lulu are great for making things easy but the costings are horrendous! My personal aim is to never have anything for sale where the RRP I set is below double what it cost me to make AND what I feel is a good deal for the punter. So far with my current books I'm doing even better than that.

The key is pretty much the same for whatever printer you go to in terms of how to get the best price for printing though........ volume.

The more you print the less each unit is but then again the more you have to sell before you cover your costs. You may get an awesome deal where each of your books cost you peanuts but if you have to buy several thousand of them to get that price then you may never see the money back.

In a way I almost wish I was doing novels sometimes with pricing as another big cost can be colour on internal pages.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. If you have any questions I may be able to answer just ask away :)

tendays

Postby tendays » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:35 am UTC

Oops, sorry this thread had slipped off my mind :)
keozen wrote:I have 3 published collections of my comic series "Moo & Keo". I know they're graphic novels and not novels as such but a lot of the behind the scenes stuff is essentially the same.

My first two books were published by an indie publisher which is an imprint of Markosia and did quite well. I was lucky in the fact that I met the guy that runs the studio through a friend and he saw how well I sold other stuff at conventions and took a chance on me.
Nice!

My third book is where I took the leap and set up a small publishing house myself. I bought a block of ISBN numbers and got quotes from printers, etc.

Personally I'm a big advocate of doing as much stuff for yourself as you can. Things like Lulu are great for making things easy but the costings are horrendous! My personal aim is to never have anything for sale where the RRP I set is below double what it cost me to make AND what I feel is a good deal for the punter. So far with my current books I'm doing even better than that.
Well I'm not really hoping to make a profit from my books as I have a dayjob so I set the price for my book nearly as low as possible. I get about half a euro per sold copy while it costs about seven and a half euro to print which is about the price of a regular book.

So yeah I don't really care about income but I would be happy if people other than friends and family would read it, and that clearly won't happen by itself just by putting it in lulu :)

The key is pretty much the same for whatever printer you go to in terms of how to get the best price for printing though........ volume.

The more you print the less each unit is but then again the more you have to sell before you cover your costs. You may get an awesome deal where each of your books cost you peanuts but if you have to buy several thousand of them to get that price then you may never see the money back.

In a way I almost wish I was doing novels sometimes with pricing as another big cost can be colour on internal pages.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. If you have any questions I may be able to answer just ask away :)
Thanks:) I don't really have questions, it was more about hearing about experiences of other people...

(My book is at http://www.lulu.com/shop/maxime-gamboni ... 97205.html , and there is another one linked from the same page, if you want to look but it's in French so I'm not really expecting to find readers through xkcd:) )
<Will> s/hate/love/
Hammer wrote:We are only mildly modly. :D
Beware of the shrolymerase!

scotty2haughty

Postby scotty2haughty » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:21 pm UTC

Yes...if self-publishing counts.

My brother and I spent a summer selling alarm systems door-to-door in Kansas City, and we compiled a book about all the crazy stuff that happened there. It is called "Get the Hell off my Porch".

http://www.amazon.com/Get-Hell-off-Porch-Adventures/dp/1479190039

We published it through createspace.com and so far we haven't had any complaints about working with them.
There is a free sample on amazon if you are interested. It has a few good reviews on there so far...
/s/

Paul in Saudi

Postby Paul in Saudi » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

I am the overly-proud author of "Codeword Dictionary," Operation Overlord and all that sort of thing. They paid me $3,000 for it, but nowadays it would be a minor website at best.

tomandlu

Postby tomandlu » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:38 am UTC

I wrote a book, currently self-published and working on some revisions (as well as the sequel).

More info at http://louiegage.blogspot.co.uk/

Currently self-published, but I live in hope and, once the revisions I'm working on are finished, I plan on making more of an effort to try and interest a traditional publisher. The main problem with self-publishing, apart from generating enough publicity, is the lack of a decent editor.
How can I think my way out of the problem when the problem is the way I think?

scotty2haughty

Postby scotty2haughty » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:32 pm UTC

tomandlu wrote:I wrote a book, currently self-published and working on some revisions (as well as the sequel).

Currently self-published, but I live in hope and, once the revisions I'm working on are finished, I plan on making more of an effort to try and interest a traditional publisher. The main problem with self-publishing, apart from generating enough publicity, is the lack of a decent editor.

Who did you self publish through? I went through CreateSpace (an amazon.com company). I agree - an editor is a must and I wish I had just scraped together the $250 to get one to spend a couple hours on my book for me. But live and learn, and publish a new book next fall.
/s/

tomandlu

Postby tomandlu » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:53 am UTC

scotty2haughty wrote:
tomandlu wrote:I wrote a book, currently self-published and working on some revisions (as well as the sequel).

Who did you self publish through? I went through CreateSpace (an amazon.com company). I agree - an editor is a must and I wish I had just scraped together the $250 to get one to spend a couple hours on my book for me. But live and learn, and publish a new book next fall.

Lulu, but I used other services as well (e.g. for Kindle and various other ebook sites).
How can I think my way out of the problem when the problem is the way I think?

Muz

Postby Muz » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:06 pm UTC

Self-publishing definitely counts, especially these days. There are far more tools out there online to help self-publishing authors, and given the way e-publishing has changed the industry, it's gotten a little easier to succeed AS a self-published author. (That said, there are also a lot more self-published authors out there to compete with, with books ranging from absolutely excellent to, um, not so much.)

I've self-published two sci-fi books. The first I did in 2007 before Kindle was really a thing, so it was just a print-on-demand paperback deal that I did just to get it out into the world and move on to something else. I revised it and put it out on Kindle in 2013, with its sequel following soon thereafter, as the ebook got a LOT more exposure. (I also offered book 1 for free for a long while in order to build an audience, since I had book 2 available for purchase.) I got mixed results, but it's generally a good strategy if you can hook people with a good first book.

Self-publishing was a good experience, and I learned a lot, but I still wanted to have a publisher behind me so I could say "Hey, someone ELSE believes in my work enough to take a financial stake in my writing!" Then last January I got the news from an independent Seattle publisher (Booktrope) that they wanted to publish my comedic fantasy novel, which I'm excited to say came out last July. Now they're wanting to take on my first two self-pubbed novels as well. I'm excited!!

(I don't want to self-promote too much here without being asked, but the links in my sig can tell you more about my books if you're interested.)

I've got another novel that I'm still pitching to agents in hopes of getting it into one of the big New York publishing houses, but that's slow-going...
Author of the Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, the epic comedic fantasy where reality TV heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!

Website: Michaelgmunz.com Twitter: @TheWriteMunz Facebook: MichaelGMunz

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:43 pm UTC

Addendum: Not "my" book, per se, but I'm credited on Shadows over Estern. Roleplaying game, helped a bit with the localization to English from French of the core book. 'lil side job thing a while back. Guess it hit at least niche levels, I'm seeing additional books in distribution and what not.

Return to “Books”