I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

addams

Re: I'd like to know the name of this book/short story/comic

Postby addams » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:35 pm UTC

I read an old book.
I liked that book.
I can find no trace of it on The Internet.

a walk on kilimanjaro, a novel, about WWI prisoners that escaped a German Prison in Africa during WWI.
They escaped, walked up Kilimanjaro, then turned themselves back in. Weird Book. I liked it.

Can you find a trace of it?
It might have been fiction.
It was most likely fiction.

It was a story of a walk.
Walkers and Fishermen are both liars.

How big was That Fish?
You said, you walked How Far?
Is that Miles or Kilometers?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:26 am UTC

Could it possibly be "On to Kilimanjaro" by Brian Gardner?

http://www.amazon.com/On-Kilimanjaro-Br ... B000JWQFKI

Can't find a single word of summary, besides the cover.

addams

Postby addams » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:47 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Could it possibly be "On to Kilimanjaro" by Brian Gardner?

Thank you, The Egyptian Sneeze;
The cover has a few words of summery.

That is not the book I read.
The book I read was about the other side of the mountain.

It was written about walking up from the rain shadow side.
There was a description of Huge Lobelia plants.

Thank you for bringing that Title forward.

I am stunned by the variety of WWI stories we have in books.
It is to be expected for us to lose a few. Mine may be lost.

This moment vaguely reminds me of 'Fahrenheit 451'.
oops. Is that the Rum?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

nairb89

Postby nairb89 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:11 am UTC

Hi all,

So there's a book I remember reading (unless I dreamt the whole thing!) maybe in middle school or so (which puts it over ten years ago). I have a vague recollection of the plot, and then more detail on the climax, with fairly high confidence that said plot and said climax came out of the same story. If anyone can find the book I will be very happy.

The story is set in a more old-fashioned society, with farmers and warriors and the like. (Think King Arthur-era.) There are two societies (small kingdoms?) with different traditions, one more settled and peaceable, the other warlike and nomadic. A girl from the peaceable kingdom moves to the other kingdom and tries to learn their customs. The hardest part for her is to learn the ways of battle; she has to learn to fight with sword on horseback. (I think it's also unusual in that kingdom for a *girl* to be doing that sort of thing. I don't remember what the main character's motives were or anything.) Anyway, she works hard and learns well and rises in the ranks of her new kingdom.

Then the kingdom has an annual festival, which is a big swordfighting competition. Nobody's going to get hurt. Instead, every contestant wears a sash over their usual dress. Contestants pair off. The goal is to slice through the opponent's sash, ideally with a clean cut that severs the sash but does not touch the garments underneath. That is the mark of skill. Anyway, our hero is winning everything until the final round, when she meets someone she just cannot beat. Her opponent is masked so she can't see who he is, but she can tell that his skill is far superior to hers; in fact she senses that he is simply toying with her. After some time he cuts her sash, winning the tournament; and then removes his mask to reveal that he is the king.

I think maybe they get married, and she becomes the queen.

Anyway if I can find this book again I'll be really happy.

maydayp

Postby maydayp » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:05 pm UTC

The blue sword

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:09 am UTC

My wife and I are trying to remember the name of a fantasy book or short series we once read. All we recall is that if some highly-emotional thing happened, it could be inscribed on the area, and periodic magical storms would "bring them out" and make them visible, replaying the events over and over for a short while.

My wife thinks one of the main characters was a woman, but that's about all else we can remember. Any help?
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

maydayp

Postby maydayp » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:22 am UTC

Trying to find a fictional series written before 2008. I think it has about 4 books. The setting is alt earth type place, with medieval england/scotland being invaded. Things I remember, but don't remember which main character does them.
(yearly?) Fighting contest (part of a festival?) where main character wins (possibly with swords).
Character crosses the ocean and participates as a gladiator, wins. But finds out that the court system is rigged because of bribes, which his people don't use.
In the first book the main character finds out who is father actually is, and they eventually have to raise an army to defend their land (the father is a rich noble). He was raised by his aunt, and a man who is either one handed or one eyed, iirc. That character is in love with the aunt. The aunt and the father pool their fortune together to pay/ bribe the opposing army to fight for them. (though it's not enough before hand they figure it will be with all the casualties.)
There is also a Magical woman, who is the local seer/healer, and a peddler/merchant who help the MC. The MC falls in love with two or three women. The first is raped and never marries, but sleeps with the MC a couple times (separated by some time), and is a prostitute. Gives birth to the other main character. The wife is killed by the main character's enemies while the MC cheats on her. MC cannot face the prostitute because of this. Magic woman has a kid with the peddler (who dies) and eventually looses and regains her magic

In the second or third book the MC changes and is the previous MC's son. He travels with the magic woman's son and they fight off another attack. At the end of the books the magic woman's son travels (via magic) to another land, in hopes of saving them. They seem to be the equivalent of the Native Americans. He tells them not to let the conquerors land without a fight. And the natives refuse, because that's not part of their believe system (it's the opposite).

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:30 am UTC

Xanthir wrote:My wife and I are trying to remember the name of a fantasy book or short series we once read. All we recall is that if some highly-emotional thing happened, it could be inscribed on the area, and periodic magical storms would "bring them out" and make them visible, replaying the events over and over for a short while.

My wife thinks one of the main characters was a woman, but that's about all else we can remember. Any help?

This sounds like C.S. Friedman's Black Sun Rising. It may one of her other books, but definitely Friedman.
Last edited by PAstrychef on Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

The Moomin

Postby The Moomin » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:42 pm UTC

addams wrote:
Djehutynakht wrote:Could it possibly be "On to Kilimanjaro" by Brian Gardner?

Thank you, The Egyptian Sneeze;
The cover has a few words of summery.

That is not the book I read.
The book I read was about the other side of the mountain.

It was written about walking up from the rain shadow side.
There was a description of Huge Lobelia plants.

Thank you for bringing that Title forward.

I am stunned by the variety of WWI stories we have in books.
It is to be expected for us to lose a few. Mine may be lost.

This moment vaguely reminds me of 'Fahrenheit 451'.
oops. Is that the Rum?

Could it be "No Picnic on Mount Kenya"?
The plot seems to match the one you describe, it's just a different mountain.
Also, a quick google search shows that there are Lobelias on Mount Kenya.
I possibly don't pay enough attention to what's going on.
I help make architect's dreams flesh.

DanD

Postby DanD » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:35 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:Anybody remember a scene where a Catholic gentleman catches himself humming a Kyrie to himself while shaving and wonders if that's sacrilegious?

I thought maybe it was Graham Greene's The Human Factor, which makes the Catholicism/shaving connection, but that doesn't seem to be it.

It's not a book, but it sounds very much like a scene that "Father Ted" would have done.

Wildcard
Candlestick!

Postby Wildcard » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:57 am UTC

There's an old book I read many years ago; can't find it on my shelf or remember the name and it's driving me crazy.

It's not a sci-fi book, just fiction. It's a kid's book from perhaps the 50s (?); it had the 50s feel to it and I had it from an old collection of my mom's from when she was a kid.

It was one of those where each chapter is a different mini-story. Very nice light reading. Here are the bits I remember:

- There are two men who both have gigantic balls of string they've created across many years. The balls are the same size (around 6 feet), but one man insists that the other man started his ball of string with a walnut in the middle and has forgotten over the years. So they unroll the balls of yarn, going around and around a race track rolling the balls, to find out whether there is indeed a walnut in the middle.

- Another chapter, the streets are all being renamed in the town, and all the houses look the same except one very old victorian (?) mansion right in the center of town. After a town meeting (?), the people realize that with all the houses the same they can't figure out which house is which! But the people who live next door to the mansion can of course find their houses, and then the people who live one street over from the mansion figure it out, and they all work out which street is which. :)

There are other stories like that in the book, all very light reading, very pleasant and funny. I guess it sounds like a book of short stories, but it's not really, since the stories are all in the same town with the same cast of characters.

Ring a bell for anyone??
There's no such thing as a funny sig.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:11 pm UTC

well, was there a walnut in the ball?
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby plytho » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:18 pm UTC

I believe you're looking for this book: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/766917.Homer_Price
Not easy to google.
he him his

Wildcard
Candlestick!

Postby Wildcard » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:23 am UTC

plytho wrote:I believe you're looking for this book: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/766917.Homer_Price
Not easy to google.

AHA! Yes, I am indeed! Thank you so much! :D

It's downright impossible to Google.

Spoiler:
Yes, there was something in the ball. :wink: I don't remember if it was a walnut or something else, though.
There's no such thing as a funny sig.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:39 am UTC

Yep, Homer Price is pretty great (really, did Robert McCloskey ever do anything that wasn't?) - that and The Mad Scientists' Club and John D. Fitzgerald's Great Brain series were mainstays of my childhood. That and ohmygod that site has a related-link to Henry Reed, Inc. which I've been trying to remember the name of for years. Now if I can just find out the name of the little jet-age paperback about a Lunarian child who makes friends with a couple of astronauts' kids I'd pretty much have the missing books of my childhood all sewn up (finally remembered Gone-Away Lake last year...)
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:47 pm UTC

I read some book and forgot the name:

The main character is apparently a kind of humanoid lizard, his mother was the leader of the lizard and for some reason (seer stuff I think) she arranges that he (as a child) ends up with travelling um traders I think. He grows up, trader group gets massacred by some criminal organization, he sets out to kill as many of that organization as he can. A few years later he is in an arragnement where the criminal organization mostly controlls which criminals he kills but a while later he wipes out the ones in his town. Also of course he is a very deadly fighter and later on he can fly to some degree.

There is also some girl who has some POV chapters, part of some religious order that doesn't kill, meet the lizard guy at some point but afterwards they don't have contact and she doesn't do much in this book but I assume they will have more contact in later books (and she will be his love interest).

plytho

Postby plytho » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:48 am UTC

I tried googling it last week and got nothing but conspiracy theories about lizard people. Trying again today got me Child of the daystar.
he him his

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:31 pm UTC

Ah that is it thank you. Yeah I find it hard to google for books sometimes, I mean that he is some lizard like humanoid is the most useful identifying feature but what do you google for? (IBM should just use watson to build a book database so that it can answer such questions!)

plytho

Postby plytho » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:31 pm UTC

PeteP wrote:Ah that is it thank you. Yeah I find it hard to google for books sometimes, I mean that he is some lizard like humanoid is the most useful identifying feature but what do you google for? (IBM should just use watson to build a book database so that it can answer such questions!)

What did it in the end was "main character is a lizard" (including quotes). I tried looking at the tv tropes page for humanoid lizards, but it wasn't mentioned there.
he him his

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:06 pm UTC

Ah wow second result seems convenient that someone used that exact phrase in their review.^^

plytho

Postby plytho » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:18 pm UTC

I was hoping for that. It made sense that someone would describe it that way.
he him his

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:51 pm UTC

Ok, folks, here goes. Long novel. Published in the 1980s. Fantasy. Ends with the release of the angel Uriel from some kind of captivity. Uriel has forgotten that he is an angel and not constrained by physics. Maybe Clive Barker? I don't think Tim Powers. My books are in storage or I could just look at them and find it. Help me, you're my only hope!
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:56 pm UTC

Clive Barker's Weaveworld?
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up i am with this.
- Tomlidich the second

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:42 pm UTC

That was my first thought, but the reviews I could find made me think I was wrong. I will check with a copy from the library. I only need to read the last chapter, after all.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:50 pm UTC

There's a book I heard about that I don't remember the name or author of. I think it's a male Canadian author. The book is (probably!) a non-fiction account of this Big Idea: that shifts in energy sources are accompanied by shifts in how we humans view ourselves. Under coal, you are your work (what you do). Under nuclear, you are your purchases (what you buy). And under renewable energy, you are your charges (what you steward/save), or something. I'd like to read it or at least parts of it. It was probably written in the last ten years -- I think I heard about it in 2014. Ring a bell for anyone?
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:01 pm UTC

Changes its form depending on the observer.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:33 am UTC

Yes! :D That seems very much to be it. Thank you, I was hoping you'd help with this. May I ask how you found it?
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Deva

Postby Deva » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:45 pm UTC

According to Google account activity:

1. Book Energy Humans Self-perception. Found nothing useful.
2. Book Energy Source Humans Self-perception. Clicked on "Understanding the human dimensions of sustainable energy transition" (on a .gov site). Described energy use and beliefs. Checked "Barry Lord, Energy and Self-Perception – The Gradient" on page two. Came quite close. Listed Art and Energy: How Culture Changes there.
3. Barry Lord. Confirmed them to be Canadian. (Would have continued prodding, even if not.)
4. Barry Lord Art Energy. Published the book in 2014.

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:48 pm UTC

I gave up after step one.
He wondered could you eat the mushrooms, would you die, do you care.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:40 pm UTC

I didn't even get so far as to abstract it into "self-perception". Possibly I was stuck on my native tongue's word "förhållningssätt" which I can never translate adequately.

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:05 pm UTC

It's more subtle than simply "approach", then?
He wondered could you eat the mushrooms, would you die, do you care.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:34 pm UTC

Liri wrote:It's more subtle than simply "approach", then?

Indeed, although approach ... approaches the meaning. And is adequate. But doesn't include "perception" as a closeish synonym. "Way of relating to..." is also close, but loses some meaning. "Way of interacting with..." is maybe closer still, but if you get too close without hitting the mark you somehow perceive the inaccuracies more acutely: the intentionality and intension of, say, "approach" gets lost.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:55 pm UTC

Well, this is infuriating.

I'm looking for a science fiction story about some museum curators taking care of a room full of rugs. The story starts with the junior curator killing a rat, after which the senior curator decides to show him a particular rug. There's a lot of talk about how the tightness and feel of the knots clearly tell the story of someone growing up, falling in love, having a child, losing the child, and then moving into isolation, after which the knots change completely and it is clear that something with inhuman fingers took up the task of finishing the rug. (The ending revelation is that the rug maker was clearly blind – just like the curators themselves.)

Attempting to Google keeps getting caught on The Carpet Makers, and that isn't it. I believe I read it in some kind of Amazing Stories anthology.

Deva

Postby Deva » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:42 pm UTC

Resisted search efforts. (Expected as much from an old story in an anthology.) Opted to look up Amazing Stories anthologies instead. Found them through the Wikipedia page. Sees no obviously correct title among them. Might jog your memory, though.

The Best of Amazing Stories: The 1926 Anthology
- The Man from the Atom
- The Man Who Saved the Earth
- Into the Abyss
- Whispering Ether
- The Eggs from Lake Tanganyika
- The Telepathic Pick-Up
- Through the Crater’s Rim
- The Runaway Skyscraper

The Best of Amazing Stories: The 1927 Anthology
- The Retreat to Mars
- Radio Mates
- The Man with the Strange Head
- The Plague of the Living Dead
- Advanced Chemistry
- The Fate of Poseidonia
- The Four-Dimensional Roller-Press
- The Machine Man of Ardathia
- The Tissue-Culture King
- The Colour Out of Space

The Best of Amazing Stories: The 1928 Anthology
- The Miracle of the Lily
- The Revolt of the Pedestrians
- The Metal Man
- The Appendix and the Spectacles
- Sub-Satellite
- Flight to Venus
- A Visitor from the Twentieth Century
- The Comet Doom

The Best of Amazing Stories: The 1929 Anthology
- A Baby on Neptune
- The Captured Cross-Section
- The Chamber of Life
- The Superperfect Bride
- The Worm
- The Undersea Tube
- The Last Man
- Vampires of the Desert
- Futility

The Best of Amazing Stories: The 1940 Anthology
- The Voyage That Lasted 600 Years
- Truth Is A Plague
- The Living Mist
- Paul Revere And The Time Machine
- Monster Out Of Space
- The Day Time Stopped Moving
- The Mathematical Kid
- The Strange Voyage Of Dr. Penwing
- The Three Wise Men Of Space
- Sons Of The Deluge

Amazing Stories: Giant 35th Anniversary Issue (Note: A reprint of the 1961 issue. Presumably reprinted old stories in all anniversary issues.)
- I, Robot
- John Carter and the Giant of Mars
- Armageddon: 2419 A.D.
- Devolution
- I, Rocket
- Out of the Sub-Universe
- The Flying Fool
(Note: Listed six stories "and more" in the Amazon description. Left off one story, based on an Amazon review.)

Amazing Science Fiction Anthology: The Wild Years 1946-1955
- You Could be Wrong
- Breakfast at Twilight
- Operation RSVP
- Satisfaction Quaranteed
- Restricted Area
- Peacebringer
- The Little Creeps
- The Draw
- A Way of Thinking
- Skirmish
- They Fly So High
- Chrysalis

Amazing Science Fiction Anthology: The War Years 1936-1945
- Robot AL-76 Goes Astray
- Devolution
- The Four-Sided Triangle
- The Voyage That Lasted 600 Years
- Adam Link’s Vengeance
- The Living Mist
- Phoney Metero
- The Council of Drones
- Shifting Seas
- I, Rocket

Amazing Science Fiction Anthology: The Wonder Years 1926-1935
- The Metal Man
- The Jameson Satellite
- The Man Who Saw the Future
- The Machine Man of Ardathia
- The Tissue-Culture King
- The Voice from the Ether
- The Coming of the Ice
- The Miracle of the Lily
- The Man with the Strange Head
- Omega
- The Plutonian Drug
- The Last Evolution
- The Colour Out of Space

Amazing Stories: 60 Years of the Best Science Fiction
- The Revolt of the Pedestrians
- The Gostak and the Doshes
- Pilgrimage
- I, Robot
- The Strange Flight of Richard Clayton
- The Perfect Woman
- Memento Homo
- What Is This Thing Called Love?
- Requiem
- Hang Head, Vandal!
- Drunkboat
- The Days of Perky Pat
- Semley’s Necklace
- Calling Dr. Clockwork
- There’s No Vinism Like Chauvinism
- The Oögenesis of Bird City
- The Man Who Walked Home
- Manikins
- In the Islands

The Best from Amazing Stories
- No Charge for Alterations
- The Augmented Agent
- The Misfit
- The Dowry of Angyar
- Placement Test
- The Horn of Time the Hunter
- Phoenix
- Rogue Psi

The Best of Amazing
- Pilgrimage
- The Metal Man
- The Runaway Skyscraper
- The Worm
- The Lost Machine
- Marooned Off Vesta
- Anniversary
- Sunfire
- Try to Remember

Edit: Could grab titles from normal issues too.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:24 pm UTC

Goodness, how thorough of you. Thank you for your efforts. I hope they were at least entertaining.

If it is in the anthology I'm thinking of, then I'm pretty sure the last story was something called "The Last Laugh", or something along those lines – a tale of two smugglers on a space ship, one of whom is murdered by the other, except that in anticipation of the betrayal, the victim has programmed the ship to self-destruct. The anthology was sparsely illustrated – only I can't recall any illustration accompanying this carpet-story, so I could be mistaken entirely.

Deva

Postby Deva » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:00 pm UTC

Scrolled through Amazing Stories titles. Checked from 1981 to present. Returned empty-handed. Declined to manually search the remaining issues. Switched back to Google searches. Omitted essays in all cases. Credits ISFDB for images (and usually titles).

Alchemy Press Book.jpg
Alchemy Press Book.jpg (11.58 KiB) Viewed 615 times

The Alchemy Press Book of Pulp Heroes (September 2012)
- Origins
- House Name
- Eyes of Day, Eyes of Night
- Ripples in the Ether
- The Perfect Murder
- Ivy's Secret Origin
- Crossing the Line
- Jean Marie
- Currier Dread and the Hair of Destruction
- The Going Rate
- No Way but the Hard Way
- The Vogue Prince
- Upon a Granite Wind
- The Last Laugh (Author: Milo James Fowler)
- In the Margins
- Heroes and Villains
- The Return of Boy Justice

Startling Stories.jpg
Startling Stories.jpg (11.19 KiB) Viewed 615 times

Startling Stories (November 1941)
- The Gods Hate Kansas
- Last Laugh (Author: Robert Bloch)
- The Boneless Horror
- Trail’s End

Yearbook Number 3.jpg
Yearbook Number 3.jpg (9.78 KiB) Viewed 615 times

Science Fiction Yearbook Number 3, 1969
- Button, Button
- Silent Eden
- Definition
- Tame Me This Beast
- The Demons of Darkness
- The Guided Man
- The Muralist
- The Unforgiven
- My Old Venusian Home
- The Wheel
- Last Laugh (Author: Robert Bloch)
- Throwback

Other Worlds.jpg
Other Worlds.jpg (8.63 KiB) Viewed 615 times

Other Worlds Science Stories (March 1951)
- Last Laugh (Author: Theodore Sturgeon. Variant title of Special Aptitude.)
- The Wedding Present
- The Plot Machine
- Eye of the Temptress
- Angus MacAuliffe and the Gowden Tooch
- Test Piece
- The Switcheroo
- The Solution
- The Wallpaper

Planet Stories.jpg
Planet Stories.jpg (11.21 KiB) Viewed 615 times

Planet Stories (November 1951)
- Swordsman of Lost Terra
- Halftripper
- Palimpsest
- Grim Green World
- The Last Laugh (Author: Bryce Walton)
- The Illusionaries
- Wreck Off Triton
- The Conquistadors Come
- The Pit of Nympthons

Destinies.jpg
Destinies.jpg (9.01 KiB) Viewed 615 times

Destinies (April – June 1979)
- Spirals
- The Pilot
- The Story Writer
- Encounter
- Computerized Fireflies
- Malthus' Last Laugh (Authors: Eric Vinicoff and Marcia Martin)
- Fleas

Will add The Appleby Story (from The Union Club Mysteries) by Isaac Asimov. Appeared as The Last Laugh in Gallery (December 1981). Description by someone else: "A jokester is killed by drug dealers when he accidentally picks up some of their heroin." Knows nothing else.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:36 pm UTC

Hmm. It's not Bryce Walton (which turned up over here), the Fowler story looks to be some sort of western, and I can't seem to find the Bloch story, but it looks like it would be Lovecraftian horror.

Thinking back on when I read the book and spurned forth by your extensive efforts, my muse whispered to me, "Wasn't it subtitled 'of fantasy and the future'?" And of course it was.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/879 ... the-future

At least I was right about "The Last Laugh". I suppose the carpet story I'm thinking of must be either "The Alien" or "The Persistence of Yesterday"; unfortunately, ISFDB does not suggest they were published anywhere else. (And if it's not in that anthology at all, I haven't a clue where to look.)

ETA: Balls, I tried to find a download and I think I sold my soul to the shadiest usenet "provider" in existence. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Return to “Books”