Bloc.

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Dream
WINNING

Bloc.

Postby Dream » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:16 pm UTC

Bloc. So. Anyone else "attend"? I saw Nicholas Jaar, who was boring, Bang on a Can All Stars, who didn't do Steve Reich justice, and Doom, who was embarrassingly bad. And I saw Amon Tobin: ISAM, which for the second time was mind blowing.

Then I asked a nice policeman what the fuck he was doing with a barrier across half the festival, and I caught the last train home at 1am before the madness/bullshit/grr.

Most people here probably don't care, but in London last weekend one of the best electronic lineups ever assembled for a festival was shut down after only about four hours, because of terrible crowd control. People are irate.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

dubsola

Re: Bloc.

Postby dubsola » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:09 pm UTC

I almost went, but decided it was just too much money. I can imagine how upset you were. You even missed the impromptu shipping container drumming.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/jul/09/bloc-weekend-2012

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:59 pm UTC

I did indeed miss the container drumming, but I was on the wrong side of the cordon to have seen it anyway, had I stayed.

Yeah, I was very upset. I took two days off work, paid for accommodation and travel, and saw about three hours of music in total. Though I did get to spend World Pride Day in Soho, which was pretty cool. And don't believe anyone who says the festival was overcrowded. It wasn't. There was loads of space across the entire location, and never any crushing or stampedes. Except for the queues. They made everyone get in and out of tents like they were ordinary venues, queuing for ages to get past a single security guard checking everyone individually. It was 100% the fault of whoever designed the queue/security system, plus 20% the fault of whoever booked tents that were a bit too small. (Yes, for 120% blame, this was a very bad situation.) Both inside and outside the tents was totally chilled and cool. It was the entrances that were totally fucked up.

And I never made it on to the boat. I really wanted to get on to the boat.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:43 am UTC

Dream wrote:Except for the queues. They made everyone get in and out of tents like they were ordinary venues, queuing for ages to get past a single security guard checking everyone individually.

As far as I can tell, this is a new thing in festivals, where tents or arenas are sold to external organisations (eg Resident Advisor) and queued. It is incredibly shit.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:09 pm UTC

It's becoming widespread? It's madness. The whole point of a festival is that I don't have to stay in one place. I can leave Jon Hopkins and go to Numbers if I can't choose between the two.

I also didn't see any articles on the fiasco up on RA, which I wondered about considering their tent sponsorship.

Return to “Music”