Guitarists: show us your setup!

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Account20151023

Guitarists: show us your setup!

Postby Account20151023 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:05 pm UTC

Hey, I looked through the board and saw threads that touched on this, but not one dedicated to it. So I think we could stand to use a thread that details what we're all playing. Give us a list of what you use, and map it out in paint/hypersnap/snagit/whatever you like. If you have any odd choices in your layout, say why. Include the type of music you play. I'll start.

Noise rock and punk. Some metal.

Schecter Hellraiser
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Digitech Whammy
Boss OC-2 Octave
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss OS-2 Over-Drive/Distortion
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MG412A
Marshall MG412B

You may notice that I lean towards boss. It is because I like Boss. The things are goddamn tanks, and I stomp hard. I laid them out approximately in the way I have them on my pedal board.
Attachments
My current setup.jpg

Midnight

Re: Guitarists: show us your setup!

Postby Midnight » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:22 am UTC

marshal mgggggggggg. come now. Come. Now.
I've sold like, all my shit, though, so I can't really talk. and if I had a job, I'd probably buy a lot more stuff.
I do have a bass, a boss gt-10b, and a peavy TKO soon-to-be-replaced.

the bass (aka: my firstborn son):
AW YEAH. 1972 GIBSON LES PAUL TRIUMPH. The Most Valuable Thing I Own. Sooooooo soooooooo sweet.

into the boss:
into the amp
uhhhh fuck.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:01 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:marshal mgggggggggg. come now. Come. Now.

I don't think I get what you're implying here. It's hella sturdy and blisteringly loud. I'm not looking for clarity, I'm looking for grind. @your G10-TB, how easy is it to use? What settings do you use?

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:16 pm UTC

TUBEZ 4 LYFE, MAN. The MG distortion is a bit too static-y or whatever, for me. Same reason I use the Boss pedalboard instead of the Line 6 one; the fuzzes were fizzy, not sludgy. I want Electric Wizard, not Static X.
The boss pedalboard, I don't use to its fullest potential. I think I have one custom preset that uses the a/b effects chains to L/R outputs, but I don't have 2 cabs or a stereo cab. Still, the wahs are pretty good, and there's some weird like "electric => acoustic" or "fretted => fretless" settings that sound pretty nice and warm. It simulates warmth really well for a digital unit. I usually toss on some compression, reverb, maybe a bit of delay (boss does them delay pedals well) for most of the stuff I do, but the drive settings are solid. The looper function is totally awesome.

Overall, it's one of those "pretty easy to pick up with 5 minutes spare time; impossible to totally master without 5 days" devices.
uhhhh fuck.

Retne

Postby Retne » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:36 am UTC

I'm kind of embarrassed by my guitar setup mostly because I've been playing long enough I really should have upgraded. Well here we go for the lols:

Epiphone DR-100
or
ESP EC-50
Line 6 Spider 3 15W

I know, I know, so much shame. I just don't play for a band or anything other than fun so I can't justify dropping more than maybe 200 on a new guitar. If I did drop 200 on one it would be an acoustic but it wouldnt be a big enough upgrade so whatever.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:01 pm UTC

I used to play rock. Less ridiculous rock than that, though, but it's the only example I could find. Now I mostly use my guitar in the improvisation band I'm in.

My rig:
Epiphone G400
Sometimes (maybe half the time) a cheap Behringer distortion pedal, something like a failed big muff copy.
Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and
Eminence something something speaker

I wish I had a picture of the box I keep my speaker in.

Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:58 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:TUBEZ 4 LYFE, MAN. The MG distortion is a bit too static-y or whatever

This is a very valid concern. The MG series does not do syrupy pretty distortion. I play noise, though, so it's exactly what I need it to be.

Retne wrote:I'm kind of embarrassed by my guitar setup mostly because I've been playing long enough I really should have upgraded. Well here we go for the lols:

Epiphone DR-100

This is what Falco from Future of the Left plays. Well, all four of his guitars are this. So there is nothing to be ashamed about.

I'm picking up a red howler mic after work tonight. It's a harmonica mic that I'm putting in a gas mask. Could be fancy.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:02 pm UTC

Don't gas masks have mics in them?

Also, get a hyperion fuzz O_O. Boss is really solid but the world of fuzzes is absolutely, somewhat oddly large.
For more versatility than the hyperion (which is nigh exclusively Electric Wizard-level fuzz), the way huge swollen pickle is off the chain.
uhhhh fuck.

Dirk

Postby Dirk » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:51 pm UTC

- A 30 euro amplifier that makes a lot of noise. The sound is raw and for from good quality. But it feels good, dirty in a good way.

- A guitar I bought second hand from a teacher of mine that collects them, nice and cheap

Have no picture of this one

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:07 pm UTC

hahaha, GA-10 4 lyf.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

Dirk

Postby Dirk » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:24 pm UTC

ChocloManx wrote:hahaha, GA-10 4 lyf.

:P

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:20 pm UTC

my other bass amp, an ibanez that's like 30 watts, 10", has been cranked up with all knobs dimed for years now. After being a terrible piece of shit, it has finally entered the realm of "so bad it's good." I have thus dubbed it The Room.
uhhhh fuck.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:48 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:I have thus dubbed it The Room.

A+++++ 10/10 would do business again.

I made my mic. I will upload a picture of it soon. It outputs to quarter inch, so I have it running through a switcher that outputs through the same pedal string as my guitar goes through up above. If you put on the octave, you sound like James Earl Jones. If you yell and then rock the whammy treadle up, it sounds like the tormented howls of the damned. Me gusta.

JoeyJo0

Postby JoeyJo0 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:47 am UTC

I don't have this setup yet, but because I have €400 to spend, I'm going to buy this:

I already have a guitar, I'm going to plug it right into a Line6 UX1:
Spoiler:

Which is an USB interface for my PC.
The L and R line outputs go into my mixer, a Behringer XENYX 1002B:
Spoiler:

Which plugs right into a focusrite Saffire, another USB interface:
Spoiler:

Oh, I also have a Roland Cube 20W.
Ell (to Hintss) wrote:No, you can't see who has foed you. Be glad, because the list would probably be long enough to give you carpal tunnel if you tried to scroll through it.

Phill

Postby Phill » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:47 pm UTC

My setup is pretty woeful at the moment. I have a Squier Stratocaster running into a Peavey Rage 258 amp. I also have a Zoom G1X effects unit but it's broken at the moment.

I really want to get a decent amp but it's just a question of $$ at the moment!

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:44 pm UTC

I am a dirty heathen. I plug my guitar into my computer through rakarrack. It can aproximate most any effect dubiously. And my PC speakers are inadequate. Still sounds better than playing through my cheap bass amp though. When I'm a better guitarist I'm going to buy myself a nice small amp.

Return to “Music”