Dubsteppin'

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Mumpy

Re: Dubsteppin'

Postby Mumpy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:54 am UTC

Jeeze, just wanted to say thanks Dubsola, and Golden Calf. Stuck and addicted to what you guys recommended (I always love a bit of Pinch, bristol has the best sounds).

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:49 am UTC

I haven't even listened to that new Pinch + Shackleton album, I really should as I like Pinch and love Shackleton.

Firebird

Postby Firebird » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:22 pm UTC

I love Dubstep. I fell in love with it when I came across an Excision track back in 2008. Since then I've become a party DJ that specializes in it. I have to agree that the lack of evolution in this genre recently is a bit frustrating but It still has come a long way from what it was. At least its not stuck in a loop like some popular music is. Below are two of the many tracks I love(Dubstep makes up about 500 tracks of my 2000+ track collection).

The Others - First Flight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvhpab9As4Y

Subvert - Heart Stopper
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E4x0xEhnZE
Heart Stopper is a sub-genre of Dubstep called Drumstep. It's DnB with the half-time beat and heavier synth of Dubstep. It's usually around 175BPM.

RahulKolasseri

Postby RahulKolasseri » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:32 pm UTC

Three words. The Glitch Mob.
Xeio wrote:Small amounts of cancer are definately worth the awesome.

ndkid

Postby ndkid » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:58 am UTC

Klaypex is pretty cool. I've been trying to find someone who sounds like them for a while now and i still haven't found anyone quite as good as them.

Sgt.Artemis

Postby Sgt.Artemis » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:52 pm UTC

My personal favourite artist is and will always be Dubba Jonny. Home VIP is simply fantastic, and What Have You Got and New Day are not far behind.

Flux Pavillion; Cracks, I Can't Stop and Daydreamer deserve a mention.

I only very recently, thanks to VitalDubstep, found a new artist. Wobscure. Inexperienced, but still produces quality tracks, For Those Who Care and I'm Obscure are examples of this.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

piwakawaka42

Postby piwakawaka42 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:42 pm UTC

This is interesting stuff (although the video is a bit too hipster-twee for my tastes)-take dubstep, play a violin over the top:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHjpOzsQ9YI
The difference between magic and technology is quite simple: If it works, it's technology; if it doesn't work, we call it magic and get all mushy about it-Theodore Gray

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:16 am UTC

PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:53 am UTC

Everything by Nero. my favorite is Doomsday.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:36 am UTC

What are some good dubstep artists that are a little more... dubby? Most of the dubstep I've heard so far is either brostep (which is too aggressive for my tastes and kinda gets on my nerves), or is more of the original London dubstep that can get a little too vacant and spacy for me (if that makes any sense). But I've heard some that's a lot closer to reggae or rocksteady, with either singers or pretty extensive vocal samples, and I thought it was pretty great. Does anybody know what I'm talking about? I don't know any artist names so I'm not sure where to start looking.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:37 am UTC

Something like this?

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:05 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:Something like this?

Exactly like that, actually. :D

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:57 pm UTC

Cool, I was hoping that was the case. I've got loads. You'll have to find them on youtube as I'm going from memory, and when I've just mentioned artists it's because I can't think of the specific songs that are most like this, but believe you might find something you want there. Let me know if anything sticks out for you, good or bad.

Let's start with LV, as they've the most stuff like this:
LV feat. Errol Bellot - Globetrotting
LV feat. Dandelion - CCTV
LV feat. Josh Idehen - 38 Ep
LV feat. Okmalumkoolkat: Sebenza
Portico Quartet "City of Glass (LV Remix)"

...and then:
Pinch - Get Up
Pinch - One Blood
Africa Hitech - Light the Way (the album this comes from is amazing, definitely worth getting)
Boxcutter

Moving away from the dubstep template, but definitely worth checking out:
Bonobo feat. Andrea Triana - Eyes Down
DVA feat. Fatima - Just Vybe
Jamie XX - Far Nearer
Bass Clef - Rollercoasters of the heart
Falty DL

choginga

Postby choginga » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:00 pm UTC

I remember discovering Toasty - the knowledge in 2004 and having to order it online because the vinyl store here had never heard of dubstep.That tune blew my mind. This was when breakstep, nuskool breaks and 2-step still existed side by side and I just considered it another sub genre of. Discovering a new sound like this was magical for me. Breakbeat/bass culture was my world and suddenly it had a new continent to explore.

I liked how it evloved and gained a new hard edge harsh sound not found in other genres. It also moved in the other direction too breaking new grounds for texural and thoughtful sounds. But then I guess when it got to skrillex I was maybe too saturated and maybe too set in my ways, no longer such an explorer of new frontiers. When I hear people talk about dubstep now I cringe slightly but then try and remember how I felt when I first heard it, how shattering it was to me back then for even someone deep in bass culture and imagine how shattering it must be for kids these days to hear this in the world of homoginized pop music. I hope it is the same. If so, I can't fault it.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:35 pm UTC

High Rankin is good for Mumbathon sort of stuff. Some of the stuff he makes essentially take the piss out of Dubstep and it's fans, which is pretty awesome. "Don't act like a rudeboy when daddy's got a yacht", "Meow Meow" that sort of thing.

Also he has a magnificent moustache and does his shows dressed like a guy from A Clockwork Orange. So there's that.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:53 am UTC

Right now, I've got Mr. G (Original Mix) stuck in my head. Much better than Skrillex
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:41 am UTC

recently discovered Knife fight from watching breaking bad. Bonfire is good, and so is Sleaze. that first one is more of that reggae-like stuff, and that's just awesome.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

scipi0

Postby scipi0 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:05 pm UTC

eculc wrote:recently discovered Knife fight from watching breaking bad. Bonfire is good, and so is Sleaze. that first one is more of that reggae-like stuff, and that's just awesome.

It's knife party, and yah they are awesome. http://youtu.be/A2GSyQBdeEQ is sick but if your looking for a great video, don't go to knife party, unless you hate sleep. go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cOt9UcYGOU.

BRNMan

Postby BRNMan » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:59 am UTC

Just listened to Klaypex-Ready to Go

For some reason abrupt pauses give me the chills and make me laugh... I love it.

Return to “Music”