What's up with minimalism?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

PlayingMonkey

What's up with minimalism?

Postby PlayingMonkey » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:37 am UTC

I'm just curious, it seems like every wanna be musician now loves minimalism. I agree it's cool, but I'm wondering when it got so big? It seems like everyone/everything wanting to be cool now says "Oh me yarm minimalism is awesome I love it!"

I remember when Stravinsky was the person to use to pretend to be musical. When is it Schoenberg's time? Or Bartok? Or Janos Komives? Or John Adams?

Someone please clarify?
I require something interesting here. Alas, I have no intelligence or patience to deal with it.

Quibop

Read my ridiculous blog http://randomlyevolving.blogspot.com/

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Re: What's up with minimalism?

Postby Sandry » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:21 am UTC

I don't follow.

I mean, the deal is, Stravinsky is goddamned awesome. John Adams? Also stupidly awesome. Bela Bartok? Again, yes. Not familiar with Komives, and have absolutely no interested in Schoenberg, but I think it's pretty cynical to assert that composers are popular because it's trendy, rather than because they compose quality music.

It's true that no one's going around talking about how awesome Handel is terribly often at this point, and that newer things are more likely to be currently popular because we've had less time to grow blasé about them, I suppose, but I don't think anyone ever decided, "hey, minimalism should be popular. Let's fanboy Terry Riley for no particular reason."
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

PlayingMonkey

Postby PlayingMonkey » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:26 am UTC

I completely agree, minimalism is awesome. I'm just wondering when it became so popular and mainstream. It seems everywhere I go (online) I hear people promoting minimalism, either through one composer or through a band that uses it and so on, and I'm just curious when it became big.

Komives is a French composer who died 5 years ago. I don't know too much about his music but I'm going to perform one of his pieces. It's contemporary, but it has cool Jazz influences.

Basically I was wondering when it became so popular.
I require something interesting here. Alas, I have no intelligence or patience to deal with it.

Quibop

Read my ridiculous blog http://randomlyevolving.blogspot.com/

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:14 am UTC

I think minimalism is somewhat associated with rock music so that might be it?
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

Ithinkabouttrees

Postby Ithinkabouttrees » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:55 pm UTC

Minimalism has actually been around for a while. Nirvana, The Ramones, The Runaways, early Green Day, and The Troggs to name a few. The reason that minimalism is so popular is because it doesn’t take a lot to listen to it and like it. It’s catchy, and most of the time it’s just fun. I’d rather listen to a really good 3 chord song than a 19 chord suspended minor song that is way too busy.
"When all else fails, accept the extraordinary."

Spoiler:
SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDOR, DOBBY DIES, TONKS DIES, LUPIN DIES, SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE, TYLER ISN'T REAL, PLANET OF THE APES WAS REALLY EARTH, JAKE BECOMES ONE OF THEM, BENJAMIN DIES.

kaniman2
Location: Canada, North of the Border, whatever you want to call it.

Postby kaniman2 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:21 pm UTC

Ithinkabouttrees wrote:Minimalism has actually been around for a while. Nirvana, The Ramones, The Runaways, early Green Day, and The Troggs to name a few. The reason that minimalism is so popular is because it doesn’t take a lot to listen to it and like it. It’s catchy, and most of the time it’s just fun. I’d rather listen to a really good 3 chord song than a 19 chord suspended minor song that is way too busy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalist_music

I know what you're talking about, but minimalism is something different altogether.
Hiya, I'm Kanavazk.
[(No longer) bored out of my mind...]
Spoiler:
[Well, it's better than Vista. --Meowgan]
(I DO realize that that quote was from an xkcd comic, thank you very much.)

JordanM

Postby JordanM » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:03 am UTC

I think it's the "Early Adopter" theory- When people like Steve Reich, and Philip Glass first composed it, it wasn't hitting the general public, only the musicians.

On a side note, Koyaanisqatsi is cool.

Antimatter Spork

Postby Antimatter Spork » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:27 am UTC

Schoenberg, Stravinsky, and Bartok already all had their time as trendsetters though.

I'd say the popular success of Phillip Glass, John Adams (who is minimalist in a lot of ways) and (to a lesser extent) Steve Reich, Terry Riley, Morton Feldman, and LaMonte Young really was what established minimalism as the "in" thing.

Though of course the music world today is much less unified than it was fifty or a hundred years ago, so you see a lot more stylistic diversity among different composers and stuff.
Albert Schweitzer wrote:There are two means of refuge from the misery of life — music and cats.

Return to “Music”