Covers That Are Better Than The Originals

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

azule
Saved

Re: Covers That Are Better Than The Originals

Postby azule » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:30 pm UTC

Aargh, whoops, you're right. :oops: What do people think of covers where small changes are made, such as pronoun gender?

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

GregorySob

Covers That Are Better Than The Originals

Postby GregorySob » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:02 am UTC

last week I saw Son Volt do a whipass cover of Waylons "Are you sure Hank done it this way"...

which I liked better than the original, forealdo.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:54 pm UTC

azule wrote:
poxic wrote:Some covers are widely acknowledged as better: Johnny Cash's Hurt, for an iconic example.
Oh, I can't let this stand. While it's iconic, it's a bit overrated. JC does not actually exemplify the lyrics that well. He sings them with the heart he's known for and it's heard by the ear and the heart, but it is not real. When done by NIN it has all the emotional impact it was created with.

Note: I do love the cover, but the question was if it was better...
I didn't see this opinion anywhere in the thread so I'll say it: I absolutely hate the cover. He took out everything interesting about the song*, the guitar arrangement is completely amateur, and I can't stand his voice.

And I have no particular love or nostalgic feelings for the original.

*specifically: the dynamics, the vocal range, and that glorious tritone.
-Adam

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:35 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:
azule wrote:
poxic wrote:Some covers are widely acknowledged as better: Johnny Cash's Hurt, for an iconic example.
Oh, I can't let this stand. While it's iconic, it's a bit overrated. JC does not actually exemplify the lyrics that well. He sings them with the heart he's known for and it's heard by the ear and the heart, but it is not real. When done by NIN it has all the emotional impact it was created with.

Note: I do love the cover, but the question was if it was better...
I didn't see this opinion anywhere in the thread so I'll say it: I absolutely hate the cover. He took out everything interesting about the song*, the guitar arrangement is completely amateur, and I can't stand his voice.

And I have no particular love or nostalgic feelings for the original.

*specifically: the dynamics, the vocal range, and that glorious tritone.

I just listened to the original for the first time because of this post, and I was ready to post something about how the Johnny Cash version is more emotionally impactful for me (that song has had me weeping), but I can't do it - the NIN original is much more powerful to me, even after one listening. Thanks for inspiring me to listen to it (I still like the Johnny Cash version - but nowhere near as much as the original any more).

redraw

Postby redraw » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:57 pm UTC

This guy Binkbeats does awesome covers, here a great cover of Baths - Lovely Bloodflow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4uiNadzcME

Return to “Music”