It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Yablo

Re: Your last and next concert?

Postby Yablo » Mon May 05, 2014 5:33 pm UTC

freakish777 wrote:Last show:

VNV Nation (they're pretty great live)

Next show:

Not sure. Maybe Deathcab for Cutie. Maybe Aesthetic Perfection. Hopefully both on back to back nights. Possibly neither though.

I saw Deathcab for Cutie when they opened for Pearl Jam in Asheville, NC. Not to discourage you, but their set is the only time I've ever fallen asleep at a concert.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed May 07, 2014 10:28 pm UTC

However, I expect that if you come for Pearl Jam and get Death Cab, you would be a little confused.

That sentence is strange to someone who doesn't know those bands, yet still makes sense.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

cplns

Postby cplns » Thu May 08, 2014 2:20 pm UTC

I would love to see both Pearl Jam and Death Cab. But the two of them together seems a bit strange...

Last concert: Phoenix and Arctic Monkeys
Next concert: Probably Arctic Monkeys again. They're coming to Summerfest, which is an 11-day gig with about 800 acts.

alessandro95

Postby alessandro95 » Mon May 12, 2014 7:27 pm UTC

This thread is awesome, how did I just found it? I'd also like to be at a Pearl Jam concert!
anyway, the last concert was a Roger Waters one, last summer, the next one will either be Jethro Tull or Caparezza (an italian singer)
The primary reason Bourbaki stopped writing books was the realization that Lang was one single person.

chris857

Postby chris857 » Sat May 17, 2014 3:02 am UTC

I thiiink the last one was Foreigner at Interlochen several years ago. Looking to hopefully see Boston this summer in Minnesota.

freakish777

Postby freakish777 » Wed May 28, 2014 2:25 pm UTC

Last:

Death Cab for Cutie (which was awesome).

Next:

Don't know. Riot Fest in Toronto looks good though:

http://riotfest.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... esized.jpg

cplns

Postby cplns » Wed May 28, 2014 2:38 pm UTC

freakish777 wrote:Last:

Death Cab for Cutie (which was awesome).

Next:

Don't know. Riot Fest in Toronto looks good though:

http://riotfest.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... esized.jpg

Looking at the lineup... yeah, I'd pretty much kick a puppy in the face to go to that.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Thu May 29, 2014 1:41 am UTC

Last: Lindsey Stirling
Next: Disney in Concert at Phoenix Symphony
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

Palkin

Postby Palkin » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:05 am UTC

Last concert - Kasabian in London. Was cool!

freakish777

Postby freakish777 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:29 pm UTC

Last Show:

Powerman 5000
hed (pe)
Sunflower Dead

Next Show:

Riot Fest still looks like fun, but it's looking less likely that I'll be able to go. :(
Other upcoming shows that look interesting but that I probably won't be able to make, Twenty One Pilots, The Gaslight Anthem & Against Me!, Primus

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:23 pm UTC

I'm quickly realizing how spoiled I was when I lived in Las Vegas and how I took that for granted. :/
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:30 am UTC

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:46 pm UTC

Since I met my wife, at least one out of every three or four videos she's watched has been by a band I'd never heard of; Boyce Avenue. They're going on tour, and I decided that for her Christmas present, I'm going to take her to see them when they get close. Unfortunately, in Alaska "close" means 900 miles south in Seattle. $76 for concert tickets, $900 for plane tickets.

This is why I haven't seen a show since Tool in Peoria, IL in 2007.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:19 am UTC

Last show: Metal Female Voices Fest. Arkona was the last band I saw. And it was awesome. It had been too long since I was in a mosh pit.

Next show: Delain, Battle Beast and Sabaton in January. I'm mostly going for Delain, although Sabaton is awesome too.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

jobriath

Postby jobriath » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:31 am UTC

Alt-J standing-room is sold out ;_; Ben Howard is completely sold out. We missed Alt-J's concert closer to home. I missed Silver Mt Zion half a year ago. I'm never getting to go to another gig again. I am a worthless human being.

Oh! Scroobius is doing something in November. Totally going to be there. Not sure if it's hip-hop, or poetry slam, or bubble bath, but it's Scroobius, so who cares?

NieXS
Why's the rum gone?

Postby NieXS » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:58 am UTC

Saturday I went to the Gotthard/HammerFall/Edguy show in Porto Alegre. We got to the venue at 6:20 AM; there were five people ahead of us. There was a dude there that wasn’t going to the show, he was simply preaching us the gospel of the Horde (seriously! he DID NOT SHUT UP about the Horde until he disappeared at around 1 PM). Our queue buddies were pretty cool; the people ahead of us did not stop drinking up until the gates opened and yet nobody threw up or anything, it was pretty impressive.

The gates opened at 4:30 PM, and the gig started at 5:00 PM. We got spots right at the barrier! The first band was Gotthard, and, despite myself not knowing a single song by them, they were so energetic that it ended up not mattering; it was awesome. Twice Leo Leoni, one of the guitarists, threw a pick that landed on my hand and bounced off. A short while after, his high E string broke during a solo, and after that, he carefully removed the broken string and handed it to me. Fucking awesome!

The HammerFall show was completely fantastic! The set list was great; they played new songs and old songs, and pretty much everyone was happy. During Last Man Standing, Joacim Cans (the lead singer) was drinking from a water bottle; he choked a bit, put the cap on the half-full bottle, and threw it at the crowd; it bounced around and landed on me!!!! I drank it all because holy shit was I thirsty, and kept the bottle.

Afterwards (don’t remember which song it was), Oscar (one of the guitarists) came close to my side of the crowd; I reached out my hand, hoping for a pick, and he carefully gave me one!!!!!!!!!! I actually cried, holy shit. And at the end of the show, Pontus threw a pick as well; I had to wrestle a bit for it hahaha

Edguy’s gig was completely nuts! The set was great but I was hoping for more power metal songs, instead of the mostly hard rock songs that they chose to play. I cried real tears during Defenders of the Crown and Tears of the Mandrake. They played All the Clowns!!!

All of the band were incredibly charismatic, there was even a drum solo! But sadly none of them gave out guitar picks or anything :( I just briefly shook hands with the bassist whose name I don’t know.

All in all it was a glorious evening; after removing myself from the barrier I couldn’t walk straight (thanks to having to stand up immobile for pretty much five hours!), had sore legs, feet, back, arms and neck, and my throat is incredibly sore from singing. Completely worth getting up at 4 AM and enduring ten hours in line, in the sun, and the 12 hour car trip to and from Porto Alegre. Simply amazing.

I don't know which band I'm going to see next; hopefully Blind Guardian will come to Brazil again after they release their new album.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:14 pm UTC

It's been a while since I posted

I just got back from kamelot and have tickets for nightwish later on.

Before that, I went to the delain/sabaton gig Neil was at (sorry I didn't read this until too late, it would have been cool to say hi) and before that I was at an eluvetie and arkona shared gig.

All were great
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:35 am UTC

My first gig of the year was two local bands at a forum meetup, last Friday night. Next, tonight, is a performance of Luigi Nono's string quartet in a church somewhere, need to figure out how to get there.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

jobriath

Postby jobriath » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:41 pm UTC

Last was Kate Tempest. Everybody: Go see Kate Tempest. I have never seen anybody with that kind of energy.

Next is a bit of a drought before, uh, Ben Howard, I think, in April. Woo! Chill me out, dude!

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:20 am UTC

eSOANEM wrote:It's been a while since I posted

I just got back from kamelot and have tickets for nightwish later on.

Before that, I went to the delain/sabaton gig Neil was at (sorry I didn't read this until too late, it would have been cool to say hi) and before that I was at an eluvetie and arkona shared gig.

All were great

Kamelot skipped my entire part of the country this time. :(

And least Nightwish is coming here, poor Seattle got skipped twice.
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:47 am UTC

nooooo

They were so good. I am sorry you had to miss them. Nightwish should be good though :)
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:49 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:nooooo

They were so good. I am sorry you had to miss them. Nightwish should be good though :)

Update: Nightwish confirmed fucking amazing. Last time I saw them was Floor's second night with the band, so she wasn't quite comfortable with it yet. Or at least compared to last night. They all seemed so much happier and more comfortable with each other. Also, they played Ghost Love Score. And Stargazers. Fucking Stargazers, with maximum opera-y power. It was awesome. (although sadly, Floor uses her opera voice for very few other songs...)
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Sat May 23, 2015 3:58 pm UTC

Lightning Bolt & Melt-Banana last week (seperately). That's my two favorite bands in the world, so that was a good week.

Tonight - the Jobe/Redfearn ensemble: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KLKOqfbMGw

tarascon

Postby tarascon » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:58 am UTC

About 2 months ago I saw the Eclipse Quartet (with James Sullivan, klezmer clarinet).
Featuring Songs and Prayers of Isaac the Blind by Osvaldo Golijov. Also: 5 Pieces for String Quartet by Erwin Schulhoff and Revueltas Musica de Feria by Sofia Gubaidulina.

Dunno what my next concert will be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fE1o_tS8P8
Estragon: I can't go on like this.
Vladimir: That's what you think.

Euphonium

Postby Euphonium » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:26 am UTC

Last concert: LA Philharmonic, about two weeks ago.

Next concert: Steely Dan, in Albuquerque, about a month from now

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:40 pm UTC

Halestorm is coming to Hawaii a couple days before my birthday, so I intend to go, because I'm off work.

I'm taking vacation to Vegas in August and I really need to see if any concerts are going on while I'm there.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

Darth Florist

Postby Darth Florist » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:41 am UTC

My last gig was The Strawbs at the Queens Hall, Edinburgh in Autumn 2012. I was a little disappointed.
I'm going to see the latest King Crimson incarnation at the Usher Hall, Edinburgh on September 17th this year. The line up is fronted by 3 (THREE!) drummers, which sounds a bit excessive - we'll see.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:51 pm UTC

Last concert was Curious Quail at the Great America. So much crazy fun.

Next one is tonight. Mitski, Elvis Depressedly and Eskimeaux at the bottom of the hill.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:18 pm UTC

Toad the Wet Sprocket, Tonic, and Smashmouth tonight. Unless it's rained out.

I saw Toad back in 2009, during their fifth or so annual breakup and reunion tour. When they got on stage, those of us in the audience were hit with a powerful whiff of marijuana smoke. Glen Phillips was irritated through most of the show and didn't look like he was having fun, and forgot the lyrics to Know Me, though they had altered the intro significantly since that was recorded.

It was awesome.

EDIT:

Louis CK's band Tonic quit after about twenty minutes. I wish I heard more from them, but this was their last show while touring with the other two bands. Toad the Wet Sprocket got the half-geriatric crowd out of their damn lawn chairs, and Smash Mouth...I didn't stick around past Walking on the Sun, but they were alright. All their songs always sounded like covers to me, so it wasn't so interesting. They were, more than anything else, just loud.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:52 am UTC

shieldforyoureyes wrote:Lightning Bolt & Melt-Banana last week (seperately).
I saw Melt-Banana live some years back now.. it was a really memorable gig, lots of fun staging. Though, like, any noise rock runs the risk of at least one support act being too physically painful to watch. How were Lightning Bolt live?

I'm actually going to see the Mountain Goats tour soon. I've had a real dry spell of gigs. Trying to work out if I can fit in the Euros Childs tour as well... Annoying UK problems - people seem to tour at London, then a few random places in the North, and usually skip right over anywhere near where I live. Other than the Magnetic Fields tour which was about a million years ago, where they played the small-ass town next to mine for no good reason (not complaining - one of the best / most pleasant live acts I've seen).

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:34 pm UTC

If everything goes right, my next concert might be Everclear, Toadies, and Fuel tonight.

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:36 am UTC

existential_elevator wrote:
shieldforyoureyes wrote:Lightning Bolt & Melt-Banana last week (seperately).
I saw Melt-Banana live some years back now.. it was a really memorable gig, lots of fun staging. Though, like, any noise rock runs the risk of at least one support act being too physically painful to watch. How were Lightning Bolt live?

I'm actually going to see the Mountain Goats tour soon. I've had a real dry spell of gigs. Trying to work out if I can fit in the Euros Childs tour as well... Annoying UK problems - people seem to tour at London, then a few random places in the North, and usually skip right over anywhere near where I live. Other than the Magnetic Fields tour which was about a million years ago, where they played the small-ass town next to mine for no good reason (not complaining - one of the best / most pleasant live acts I've seen).

I've probably seen Lightning Bolt more than any other band. Most of my hearing loss is from them. Their practice space is a block from my house, and they played a LOT of local shows in the 00's. (I started listening to them in 99, so I missed the really early years.)

They're fantastic live. Even without the whole middle-of-the-audience schtick (which is only fun at a reasonably small show), they're incredible musicians to watch live.

I saw Dropdead open for Melt-Banana once, which was really great, but the connection between the bands seems to have been lost on the audience. (There are basically two reasons that Melt-Banana went from the pure experimental noise of their first few years to experimental noise with a grindcore rhythm section: Discordance Axis, and Dropdead.)

Oh yeah - the first time I saw Melt-Banana, in 2000, Lightning Bolt opened! If it wasn't for that, I probably wouldn't have gone to that show... (it was something like a four hour drive to the show. Not a casual night out.)

nolemonplease

Postby nolemonplease » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:12 am UTC

Pretty sure the last band I saw was Mr. Gnome. Been obsessed with them lately, so it was perfect when they came to town.

Next thing coming up on the calendar... Braids.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:33 pm UTC

Last was Collective Soul a week ago in Raleigh, NC. Next will be Anna Nalick when she comes to Boston next month.
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:34 am UTC

pkcommando wrote:Last was Collective Soul a week ago in Raleigh, NC. Next will be Anna Nalick when she comes to Boston next month.

Collective Soul performed with Michelle Branch at Schofield Barracks on July 4th, but I was working that day and didn't find out about it until it was too late to drive all the way up there and see it. :(

My last concert was a free Shinedown concert at Pearl Harbor and my next concert will be Halestorm for my birthday next month.

jobriath

Postby jobriath » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:58 am UTC

Matt Corby's touring! And Newton Faulkner, for that matter. Got 'em both. Hopefully my brother's sprog doesn't drop right on either of those days...

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:52 pm UTC

Napalm Death / Melvins / Melt-Banana tomorrow.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:01 am UTC

REGINA SPEKTOR IS COMING TO TUCSON IN OCTOBER Oh me yarm

ivnja
The spirit of things can bugger right off.

Postby ivnja » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:32 am UTC

Just got home from Guster On The Ocean in Portland, ME - Guster's final 25th anniversary show, accompanied for part of the show by the Maine Youth Rock Orchestra, with opening acts Spencer Albee (local Portland singer/songwriter and former keyboardist/backing singer for Rustic Overtones) and his band and Ghost of Paul Revere (a self-described "holler-folk band" from a little inland of the Portland area).

This was my fourth Guster concert, and it was fantastic.
Hi you.
She(?!)

Return to “Music”