It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Re: Radiothread

Postby Felstaff » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:47 pm UTC

Find it here in its entirety.

You're welcome.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:58 am UTC

So, have you guys seen this article, stating that Radiohead will not be creating any more albums? I'm not all too suprised really, but still...slight sadface. But as long as they keep on creating, whatever format it is, i'm happy.
i dare you to take me on...

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:44 pm UTC

It's exaggerated. Yorke said both that they didn't want to do a project like In Rainbows again, and that in future they'd be doing shorter work that they can release faster, but that's all. He never said never, nor did he come out against the aesthetic of he LP, just the process of making the last one. I wouldn't expect an LP any time soon, but I'm sure they'll make another as soon as they feel they have a concept or body of work that merits it.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:28 pm UTC

This article has more complete quotes from the magazine interview from which the news was taken.

TY: I'm not very interested in the album at the moment.

BELIEVER: I've heard you talk a lot about singles and EPs. Is that what you've been moving toward?

TY: I've got this running joke: Mr. Tanaka runs this magazine in Japan. He always says to me, "EPs next time?" And I say yes and go off on one, and he says, "Bullshit." [Laughs] But I think really, this time, it could work. It's part of the physical-release plan I was talking about earlier. None of us want to go into that creative hoo-ha of a long-play record again. Not straight off. I mean, it's just become a real drag. It worked with In Rainbows because we had a real fixed idea about where we were going. But we've all said that we can't possibly dive into that again. It'll kill us ... Jonny [Greenwood] and I have talked about sitting down and writing songs for orchestra and orchestrating it fully and just doing it like that and then doing a live take of it and that's it -- finished. We've always wanted to do it, but we've never done it because, I think the reason is, we're always taking songs that haven't been written for that, and then trying to adapt them. That's one possible EP because, with things like that, you think do you want to do a whole record like that? Or do you just want to get stuck into it for a bit and see how it feels?

He may be negative about the idea of making an album, but he comes across as really positive about this Super Secret Release Plan he mentions at the start of the article!

EDIT: So, a song called "These Are My Twisted Words", er, "leaked" out a few days ago. (I haven't listened to it much yet.) The file contained a hidden phrase "wall of ice". Wallofice.com redirects to w.a.s.t.e. Inevitable conclusion jumped to: "It's the title of the next EP!" Although some spoilsports have pointed out that wallofice.com is registered to some random person in the Netherlands and could have been done by anyone. However, people have also pointed out that the phrase "wall of ice" used in the context of the music business sounds familiar.

v1ND

Postby v1ND » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:45 am UTC

Today I rediscovered Radiohead. I haven't listened to them in quite some time but I have some new ECH's (Ety ER-6i and a BitHead if you wanted to know).

Anyways, WOW.

I flipped on Idioteque. It was absolutely amazing.

That is all.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:13 pm UTC

Thoughts and opinions on the new track, These Are My Twisted Words?

I'm liking it so far and it's grown on me surprisingly quickly. It might be to do with that droning, 'wall of sound' feel I get from the track.

Has anyone actually downloaded it and seen the album art provided, which they suggest for you to print out and trace? I quite like that concept and i'd very much like to work on top of the album artwork, but with a lack of a printer, that might be tricky.

Oh. OH. This is quite an old link, but i've only just stumbled on it today. There's been five jazz covers of Nude, courtesy of the Guardian. Click on the links to the right of the music player to see the other four. I especially like the Jonathan Gee cover.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:39 pm UTC

I like the new track, not quite as good as Harry Patch but still another strong offering from the band.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:13 am UTC

tin wrote:It might be to do with that droning, 'wall of sound' feel I get from the track.

Reminds me of late period Sonic Youth. I really like it. While I wish they'd released more than just one track, I think the way they've worked in the past will really suit this kind of releasing. They've often abandoned sessions due to them being unproductive, so releasing whatever is successful is great.

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:47 am UTC

Dream wrote:
tin wrote:It might be to do with that droning, 'wall of sound' feel I get from the track.

Reminds me of late period Sonic Youth. I really like it. While I wish they'd released more than just one track, I think the way they've worked in the past will really suit this kind of releasing. They've often abandoned sessions due to them being unproductive, so releasing whatever is successful is great.

agreed. they haven't really made a completely comprehensive album since amnesiac and those were kid-a bsides anyway. i'd prefer them to dump the album-ing and just release something good every now and again.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:03 am UTC

I don't know about comprehensive but Hail to the Thief and In Rainbows are great albums. And if Amnesiac is essentially a collection of B-sides, I'd love to see more B-sides like that! I always thought of Kid A/Amnesiac to almost be two halves of a double album to be honest.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

kaniman2
Location: Canada, North of the Border, whatever you want to call it.

Postby kaniman2 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:17 am UTC

Since I started to listen to Radiohead (around the time In Rainbows came out digitally - I didn't listen to it until about half a year later), I really started to appreciate their post-OK Computer albums a lot more than I did previously. When I listen to The Bends now (it used to be my favorite RH album) it seems to me like it's inferior and uninspired compared to their later albums, which aren't as stuck in one emotion (not sure if that makes sense but whatever). Hail To The Thief is my favorite album even though it doesn't really have a unifying feeling. I don't really understand why.

On the two new tracks: Harry Patch has good lyrics but I can't seem to enjoy the music so much yet because it seems to drone a lot. These Are My Twisted Words is more structured and accessible so it was easier for me to like.

And new Thom Yorke split single: http://www.greenplastic.com/2009/08/19/ ... -the-best/
Hiya, I'm Kanavazk.
[(No longer) bored out of my mind...]
Spoiler:
[Well, it's better than Vista. --Meowgan]
(I DO realize that that quote was from an xkcd comic, thank you very much.)

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:10 am UTC

hail to the thief is an album that i really like, but not as a whole. i love all the songs to death and i often put them on mixes but i feel like whoah it could have been more than what it was i guess.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

Psycho Goose

Postby Psycho Goose » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:59 am UTC

I find Hail to the Thief to be a bit derivative in view of their previous stuff. Of course, that's only 'cause it didn't make another massive leap the way all the previous ones did. But it didn't feel quite as original.

On the plus side, it was quite a good summing up of their work.
Mother Superior wrote:Go to Checkov's guns on fifth. But be careful, any gun he shows you is liable to go off at some point while you're in the store.

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:56 pm UTC

I'm not sure what I like more: Jonny Greenwood's most recent post on Dead Air Space, or the fact that somebody's already added it to the One Of Us page of TV Tropes. :mrgreen:

gurfunklebunker

Postby gurfunklebunker » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:40 pm UTC

Mmm... I love Radiohead! (:
I was obsessed with them a few years ago, but that has sort of died down, but they are still my favourite band. I remember someone linked me to their live performance of Paranoid Android on Jools Holland, and I immediately just fell in love with them. I bought OK Computer just a bit after that and thought "Damn, this is just fantastic."
Amnesiac is up there as one of my top favourites, since I like the jazzier feel I get from it. Dollars & Cents is subsequently my favourite off of it for that reason.
And to this day, Paranoid Android still stands as my favourite song. Ever.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:25 am UTC

Various Varieties wrote:I'm not sure what I like more: Jonny Greenwood's most recent post on Dead Air Space, or the fact that somebody's already added it to the One Of Us page of TV Tropes. :mrgreen:

Having Ico in his top 10 (well, 11) has made Jonny Greenwood official winner of the coveted most bestest award.
I'm still waiting for Cave Story to come out on the Wii over here.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:09 am UTC

I saw that too, liked from Tiny Mix Tapes and my love for Jonny has grown even more. Ico is a brilliant game.

InfamousAnarchist

Postby InfamousAnarchist » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:03 pm UTC

I love Amanda Palmer more than anything. And she is working on a Radiohead covers album featuring a prominent ukulele. Do not scoff yet, though, because hot damn is it good.
http://music.amandapalmer.net/album/idioteque
Listen for yourselves.
sever every leg
amanda palmer please come home please

mutestorm

Postby mutestorm » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:00 am UTC

I know this isn't following the thread of the conversation, it's sort of stand alone.

My first album was hail to the thief. Gave it a half heartened listen and hated it. this was during my classic rock/acoustic adolescent face. I have since spent the last 6 years complaining about how bad radiohead is.

About a month ago I gave OK computer a listen. and I cried; not because the album was that good, but because it was so good that I had to reject my pretentious inner self and like it. and realize how wrong I was.

tentacleTherapist

Postby tentacleTherapist » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:29 am UTC

InfamousAnarchist wrote:I love Amanda Palmer more than anything. And she is working on a Radiohead covers album featuring a prominent ukulele. Do not scoff yet, though, because hot damn is it good.
http://music.amandapalmer.net/album/idioteque
Listen for yourselves.

I like this. I like it a lot. :D
Tumblr-ma-doodle
Spoiler:
You will see my shadow
On every wall

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:29 pm UTC

Wanna hear the first track from Phil Selway's solo album?

http://www.philipselway.com/music.html

It's quite good. But on first listen, I'm less keen on the high-pitched "put it where you found it" outro than I am on the rest of the song.

Yaal

Postby Yaal » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:26 pm UTC

I have a quite weird problem with some artists (such as Radiohead and Aphex Twin), I'd want to like them but I can't just force myself. It's really confusing.
Falling in love hurts so fucking much

SANTARII

Postby SANTARII » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:54 pm UTC

Ahhh.
My earliest memories have my dad playing various Radiohead songs on his acoustic guitar, also attempting to sing.
When I actually started listening to Radiohead, I recognised most of the songs, because my dad had played and sung them all throughout my life.
I wouldn't generally pick favourites, but Radiohead have made more songs I love than any other band, so I guess they are my favourite band.
'Nude' is possibly the most beautiful song I have ever heard.
I only recently found out that Radiohead had hosting space for people remixing their music, there are some very interesting songs on there...
Has anyone heard the version of 'Nude' with an acoustic guitar jazz backing? Interesting take on it...

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:06 am UTC

I got the Amanda Palmer ukulele Radiohead record, it's really quite good. "Fake Plastic Trees" stood out to me, since the original never meant as much to me as to others, really struck me.
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

viscusanima

Postby viscusanima » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:20 am UTC

I'm just watching the video to Fake Plastic Trees. I must admit, Thom Yorke here really resembles John Simm as The Master in his blonde form. Right down to the nutty mannerisms.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:36 am UTC

viscusanima wrote:I'm just watching the video to Fake Plastic Trees. I must admit, Thom Yorke here really resembles John Simm as The Master in his blonde form. Right down to the nutty mannerisms.

Thom Yorke really resembles an autistic frog-man.
uhhhh fuck.

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:48 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:Thom Yorke really resembles an autistic frog-man.

I don't know if you meant "frog-man" as in "human-amphibian hybrid" or "scuba diver", but either way the phrase reminded me of another animal resemblance someone spotted...

Spoiler:

Yaal

Postby Yaal » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:27 am UTC

Okay, fuck whatever said before, Radiohead is genious; in one week; it has become my second favourite band ever.

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:18 am UTC

You gotta start with the more mainstream songs if ya haven't heard anything like Radiohead before.

In other Radionews: I got their live Dvd ( live in Berlin ) today, and I'm going to watch it tonight.
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

Yaal

Postby Yaal » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:36 am UTC

Yeah, I have started with listening to The Bends and OK Computer,
which seem to be the equivalents of Dark Side of the Moon or... uh,
I can't think of more examples, but you know, kind of like 'entry points'?
Some albums seem to be very hard to listen.

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:55 am UTC

Yeah, The Bends and Ok Computer are the albums with the most listenable tracks ( Street Spirit, Paranoid Android, Karma Police, Just, etc.. )

Funny you mention the Dark Side of the Moon, I started listening Pink Floyd with The Wall. :P

But yeah, some albums contain a lot of stuff close to ambient, noise, experimental and more of that kind of stuff, but you can take Ok Computer and The Bends as entry points to the rest of their music. It took me a while before I got to appreciate the less listenable tracks. But you could also try Pablo Honey ( Creep Spirit, How do you, Anyone can play guitar are all good, listenable songs. ) In Rainbows isn't too hard either, with one of my favourites, House of Cards.

frogman

Postby frogman » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:24 am UTC

Midnight wrote:
viscusanima wrote:I'm just watching the video to Fake Plastic Trees. I must admit, Thom Yorke here really resembles John Simm as The Master in his blonde form. Right down to the nutty mannerisms.

Thom Yorke really resembles an autistic frog-man.

Hey, just because I haven't shaved in a while and I don't get enough sleep...
yeah yeah yeah

vaguelyhumanoid

Postby vaguelyhumanoid » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:58 am UTC

Though not my current most-listened, Radiohead are my favorite band of all time. I saw them at White River Ampitheater, and it was one of the best days of my life. They played Talk Show Host... fuck yeah.
Also, am I alone in finding Thom utterly adorable? A lot of people think he's ugly, which I simply do not get.
Spoiler:
tesseraktik wrote: of course you need to gornax your frifftop to a proper taibou (which, as the construction of this tempered tutatu suggests, consists of two bed.pans joined by a haiku), or else angry zubat are going to flork off your penis.'

Seanigator

Postby Seanigator » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:58 am UTC

Old but huge news,
http://pitchfork.com/news/39212-radiohead-lp-possibly-out-this-year/
It won't be out this year, but it's in the works.
But while I'm posting;
Kid A> Amnesiac> Hail to the Thief> OK computer> In Rainbows
This is my current order. Each of these five has been my favourite at one time or another.

Dasboard

Postby Dasboard » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:54 pm UTC

http://www.lowmorale.co.uk/creep/

Worth watching. Very nice. I liked it more as any other version I heard so far, and the animation is fitting. Just watch it.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:48 am UTC

I shall watch it shortly, when my boss is not nearby and I'm supposed to be working. EDIT: I watched it, amazing video, beautiful version. I wish I'd never heard the first version.

--

I like that Thom Yorke is so open to new music - he sang on a tune from the new album from Flying Lotus (huge name in underground electronic music these days). I really like it.

Flying Lotus - And The World Laughs With You (feat. Thom Yorke)

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:13 pm UTC

Seanigator wrote:Old but huge news,
http://pitchfork.com/news/39212-radiohead-lp-possibly-out-this-year/
It won't be out this year, but it's in the works.
But while I'm posting;
Kid A> Amnesiac> Hail to the Thief> OK computer> In Rainbows
This is my current order. Each of these five has been my favourite at one time or another.

...you missed two albums.
We all know Pablo Honey is at the bottom of everyone's list, but the Bends? THE BENDS? Better than Amnesiac, at least.

dubsola wrote:he sang on a tune from the new album from Flying Lotus (huge name in underground electronic music these days)

Huge name in underground music is definitely an oxymoron. Flying Lotus is definitely not underground.
uhhhh fuck.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:33 pm UTC

I think Radio 1 dedicated an hour-long mix to them a few weeks ago.

nwubnwubnwubnwubnwub

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:57 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:
dubsola wrote:he sang on a tune from the new album from Flying Lotus (huge name in underground electronic music these days)

Huge name in underground music is definitely an oxymoron. Flying Lotus is definitely not underground.

You have that the wrong way around. Dubs didn't claim Flying Lotus is underground, but that he is a very big name underground. Considering the amount he's released before anyone paid much attention, that's a fairly solid statement to make.

Anyway, Live in Prague. It's soundboard recorded masters, given by the band. Excellent quality.

tentacleTherapist

Postby tentacleTherapist » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:29 pm UTC

...Phil Selway has a solo album?

And I like it very much indeed :mrgreen:
Tumblr-ma-doodle
Spoiler:
You will see my shadow
On every wall

Return to “Music”