Which Female Singer has the most beautiful Voice?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Bryce1

Postby Bryce1 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:44 pm UTC

Personally i Love Alison Krauss' voice especially in "Goodbye is all We Have" and "Whiskey Lullaby" With Brad Paisley.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Re: Which Female Singer has the most beautiful Voice?

Postby UniqueScreenname » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:45 pm UTC

Floor Jansen
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

D4vid001

Postby D4vid001 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:13 pm UTC

Bryce1 wrote:Which Female Singer has the most beautiful Voice?

Personally i Love Alison Krauss' voice especially in "Goodbye is all We Have" and "Whiskey Lullaby" With Brad Paisley.

me too :lol:

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:58 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:Floor Jansen

Floor is great.

And, because now a member of Nightwish has been mentioned in a thread about female singers, I might as well make the inevitable comparisons; Tarja and Anette were less good for Nightwish because each of them could only really do one sort of singing (Tarja could only really do the high operatic thing whilst Anette could never do that properly but could do the Imaginaerum style slightly lower stuff much better than Tarja would have been able too) whilst Floor can do both. Floor can sing the old Tarja-era songs and hit the high notes much better/often than Anette ever could, but Floor can also sing low and sensually enough to pull off Slow, Love, Slow.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:31 pm UTC

Emily Browning - Asleep

Lacey Mosley - Something I Can Never Have

Jarboe - Receive

Merrill Garbus - Powa (gotta get to 3:30 for her to start wailing)

And I'd also want to suggest Courtney LaPlante, but I'm pretty sure that's not the sort of singer y'all would agree with. Also, huh, I've never heard of Floor Jansen before, but I LOVE After Forever's cover of "Who Wants To Live Forever?", so I might have to look up more stuff.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:17 am UTC

Most beautiful voice?

Kokia. I will accept no arguments. 2:58-3:12 or so is the part to hear. (Live bit, for comparison, if you think she's just a studio voice.)

...well, ok, if slight accents bother you, I'll accept arguments for Annie Haslam, instead. She starts singing after 3:00 in the first link (live). This is just an excerpt from a 24-minute piece; the second link is the studio version. The excerpted "live" bit is from about 10:15 there. (She gets credit for a five-octave range, too, but technical ability isn't beauty.)

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:18 am UTC

Most of the examples people have given seem to describe a pretty-sounding voice. My own tastes tend toward "yeah she sounds okay, but wow what she can do with it". I like to hear passion and commitment in my singers. To that end...

Oumou Sangare is sometimes called Mali's first lady of music. Link is to Moussolou, studio version. Oumou starts singing around 1:15.

Bjork (Jöga) is just about the definition of commitment in a singer. She writes and rewrites lyrics until they form a part of her. Over the top and wonderful.

Joni Mitchell is wow. A beautiful voice fired with brutal honesty. (Trigger warning on the link: song is Cold Blue Steel and Sweet Fire, which may or may not describe drug addiction and/or self-harming.)

Kate Bush needs a mention. This song (Rocket's Tail) incidentally features members of the Bulgarian Women's Choir, which...

have their own reasons for being in this list. The first link is sweet, the second is jarring (but still lovely), and the third is ... well, a Bulgarian women's choir doing "Oh Susanna".
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up i am with this.
- Tomlidich the second

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:46 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:[Also, huh, I've never heard of Floor Jansen before, but I LOVE After Forever's cover of "Who Wants To Live Forever?", so I might have to look up more stuff.

Dreamflight is the song that shows the most of her range. This live version of Disdain shows how adaptable she can be, as she goes from growling to opera to everywhere in between.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:33 am UTC

poxic wrote:Most of the examples people have given seem to describe a pretty-sounding voice. My own tastes tend toward "yeah she sounds okay, but wow what she can do with it". I like to hear passion and commitment in my singers.

You may be interested in this female vocalist thread, then, which seems to have more general rules.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:39 am UTC

Mikeski wrote:
poxic wrote:Most of the examples people have given seem to describe a pretty-sounding voice. My own tastes tend toward "yeah she sounds okay, but wow what she can do with it". I like to hear passion and commitment in my singers.

You may be interested in this female vocalist thread, then, which seems to have more general rules.

Or listening to any of the singers I posted :)

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:23 am UTC

I did listen to your links, MJ. Mosley and Garbus are interesting, especially Garbus. I may need to tag both of them for followup.

(Garbus's loop building was cool as well. I've done some experiments with live loops. They're fun, but beastly when you screw up and it comes back to haunt you, every eight beats foreeeever. Or until you admit that the loop now sucks and you kill it.)
TEAM SHIVAHN

You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up i am with this.
- Tomlidich the second

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:05 am UTC

Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:48 am UTC

poxic wrote:Most of the examples people have given seem to describe a pretty-sounding voice. My own tastes tend toward "yeah she sounds okay, but wow what she can do with it". I like to hear passion and commitment in my singers. To that end...

Oumou Sangare is sometimes called Mali's first lady of music. Link is to Moussolou, studio version. Oumou starts singing around 1:15.

Bjork (Jöga) is just about the definition of commitment in a singer. She writes and rewrites lyrics until they form a part of her. Over the top and wonderful.

Joni Mitchell is wow. A beautiful voice fired with brutal honesty. (Trigger warning on the link: song is Cold Blue Steel and Sweet Fire, which may or may not describe drug addiction and/or self-harming.)

Kate Bush needs a mention. This song (Rocket's Tail) incidentally features members of the Bulgarian Women's Choir, which...

have their own reasons for being in this list. The first link is sweet, the second is jarring (but still lovely), and the third is ... well, a Bulgarian women's choir doing "Oh Susanna".

Emilie Autumn has passion in spades (and can do a huge variety of different singing styles).
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:15 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Merrill Garbus - Powa (gotta get to 3:30 for her to start wailing)
One woman band with a nice voice? How about some Grimes.

Also thanks for reminding me about tune-yards, I haven't listened to them (her?) in months.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:26 am UTC

The more links I listen to in this thread, the more I'm reminded that music is a very personal thing. Especially vocals. Warning: pointless rambling ahead.

Spoiler:
The music we've already heard, both what we enjoyed and what we didn't, was our training for how to listen to the new things we hear today. That training might have been narrow or broad, critical or exploratory.

Then you add in a singer and things get more complicated. We're wired to read acres of nuance and detail in the human voice. The quality of a singer's voice (colour, strength, pitch, and so forth) may be considered pleasant or unpleasant by different people. We can hear mood, level of focus, and degree of comfortableness with the piece -- a well-rehearsed performance sounds effortless when compared to a cold reading.

I've also noticed that the age of a vocalist makes a difference. Younger people tend to prefer younger singers, for example. I have a hypothesis about this (that is backed up by the best anecdotes available to me :P ). When I listen to a younger singer, I hear that she/he has less life experience than me, and I can't really explain why. When I listen to an older singer, I hear a depth of experience and emotion that I haven't achieved yet, but that I can appreciate. When I was younger, I didn't like listening to older vocalists because I couldn't relate to them. Now that I'm in mid-life, I can sort of see both ends. I imagine that I'll be complaining about young people being aliens in about twenty years.

This is all generalisation, of course. Music that is more theatrical (like the things Floor Jansen or Emilie Autumn sing) are a bit of a different story, more about a singer's ability to show off the drama of the piece.

I was going somewhere with all this, I'm sure of it.
TEAM SHIVAHN

- Tomlidich the second

Bloopy

Postby Bloopy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:20 am UTC

poxic wrote:Bjork (Jöga) is just about the definition of commitment in a singer. She writes and rewrites lyrics until they form a part of her. Over the top and wonderful.

Yep, brilliant, powerful and moving voice. Jóga is the first song of hers I heard and I was hooked.

Though I equate beautiful more with pretty, so I'll go with:

Ambrosia Parsley
Nancy Sinatra
April March

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:44 pm UTC

Bloopy wrote:Though I equate beautiful more with pretty

Yeah, this thread weirded me out a bit.

OP says he wants info about beautiful voices, and gives an example, and gets responses that are... not entirely in tune with that example, in my opinion. (Even though they're great music, and I own many of the albums linked here.)

If I went to the food forum and asked for steak-grilling tips, and got recipes for hamburgers, or steak tartare with grilled veggies... even if they were awesome recipes, I might wonder what I did wrong. Especially if there was another thread titled "beef, it's what's for dinner" only a third of the way down the page...

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:08 pm UTC

And the not-entirely-effective point I was trying to make is that beautiful is subjective. "Grilling steak" is more or less straightforward -- people might suggest barbecues, stovetops, and broilers, but probably not tuna steaks.

Asking for "beautiful voices" is subjective as hell. Voices that only the OP would find beautiful? That everyone in the world will agree on? (I'm not sure that can be done. Could we get people from Japan, Pakistan, Ethiopia, and Norway to agree on a single most beautiful voice?)

So yes, people are giving examples of what they find beautiful. I made an attempt to distinguish beautiful from "pretty", though not in those words. I may have failed at that.
TEAM SHIVAHN

- Tomlidich the second

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:54 pm UTC

There are a lot of voices out there that I would consider beautiful, but they just don't stand out because of a lack of character. If a voice lacks character, then you could pretty much have anyone singing the song without it feeling like a different song, and I just can't consider it among the most beautiful voices.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

Clix

Postby Clix » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:02 am UTC

Have to throw my 2 cents in.

To me a beautiful female voice is one that gives me chills and how I hope the angels sing. I find it hard to believe that no one has brought up Emmylou Harris, which shows how personal a choice this is. To me there isn't a more beautiful female singer.

Till I Gain Control Again Emmylou Harris

(edit to fix spelling error)
People need panic...panic in regular draghts. I read about the governments of the world, and I panic daily. It's a heart pumping workout that keeps my cheeks rosy and my vision crystal clear.
Thorax:Pigborn (Brooke McEldowney)

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:16 am UTC

I've recently discovered Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, and I can't get enough of Jade Castrinos's voice, especially in the footage from last year's Bonnaroo.

Fiya Wata
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Dontget

Postby Dontget » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:43 am UTC

There are only a handful of female singers whose voices I'd call both interesting and beautiful.
Regina Spektor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlk2equCBXU
Melanie Safka
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7hrjATqSpA
Rachel Goswell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ylunl72PyE

Bloopy

Re: Which Female Singer has de most beautiful Voice?

Postby Bloopy » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:27 am UTC

Karyn Crisis has a beautiful voice in her own special way. ;)

Stu Pickles

Postby Stu Pickles » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:02 pm UTC

Bjork. If a theramin was struck by lightning and turned into a girl, it would sound like Bjork.

Even when she yells, she sounds like she's trying to be quiet.

She has had the exact same singing style since she was 7.

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:37 pm UTC

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ella Fitzgerald yet. In my mind, there's no one else, male or female, with a voice like hers.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:54 pm UTC

UniqueScreenname wrote:Floor Jansen

She also has my vote. A large range in clear singing AND a deep grunt.
Hearing Floor and Tarja Turunen perform "Over the hills and far away" together was awesome!
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Ormurinn

Postby Ormurinn » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:20 pm UTC

Noirin Ni Riain

I was listening to CEU Medieval Radio when she came up, and it took my breath away.
"Progress" - Technological advances masking societal decay.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:25 am UTC

Ormurinn wrote:Noirin Ni Riain

I was listening to CEU Medieval Radio when she came up, and it took my breath away.

That's wrong. There was no radio in the middle ages.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

yanfan388

Postby yanfan388 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:53 am UTC

Teresa Teng (Deng Lijun)
Emmylou Harris
Linda Ronstadt
Maura O'Connell

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:43 am UTC

Too many to choose, beauty is too multi-faceted to narrow it down to one. Here's a selection (three folk singers and a classical soprano, arranged in rough order of how much I am in awe of them):

Sandy Denny
Elin Manahan Thomas, just listen to the control on that vibrato!
June Tabor
Bella Hardy, she's a great songwriter as well.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:22 am UTC

Yeesh.

I also really dig Adele and Amy Winehouse.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:49 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Yeesh.

I also really dig Adele and Amy Winehouse.

This, absolutely this. I have a new band to be listening to :D thanks! I'm not sure that I'd put her among my personal most beautiful voices, but sexiest voice? Hell yes - her singing sends shivers all down my shoulder blades.

Triple Log

Postby Triple Log » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:26 pm UTC

Laura Jansen

Let me correct that...
Any female singer who has done something alongisde Armin van Buuren has a beautiful voice

serutan

Postby serutan » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:59 am UTC

Chrissy Hynde, Grace Slick, and Ann Wilson
For a sentient herbivore, discretion is the only part of valor. - Larry Niven

Boyd1

Postby Boyd1 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:23 am UTC

Personally i like Taylor Swift, she has a beautiful voice & her song " I knew you were trouble" was amazing. I love it,...

Tabish khan

Postby Tabish khan » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:12 am UTC

Rihanna she has the bets voice ever.

redraw

Postby redraw » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:12 pm UTC

Sniegson wrote:I love Adele voice it's so emotional, and Alicia Keys has beautiful voice and she is beautiful:D

Yeah Alicia Keys is great, I heard she was a lesbian with Oprah a few years ago, sounds suspicious to me though!

I also like Lana Del Ray

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:38 pm UTC

39 posts and no one's mentioned Queen Bey?

I'm ashamed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnVUHWCynig

charlizebe

Postby charlizebe » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:05 pm UTC

I prefer mens voice but I like some womens voice. ;) For example Sade, Grace Jones, Tanita Tikaram and Skunk Anansie. They are amazing and they have a big charisma!

Return to “Music”