Dexter

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Amnesiasoft

Re: Dexter

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:13 am UTC

roband wrote:
lemmings wrote:I can't be the only one who has looked at roband's avatar and thought Masuka... he's even got the whole pervert thing going on!

It's from an illustration of the entire cast of the show - it IS Masuka!

Could we get a link to the picture that came from?

roband

Postby roband » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:59 am UTC

If I can dredge up the memory of where it came from - sure.

interactiveagency

Postby interactiveagency » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:38 am UTC

Anybody else on here actually read the books? The show is amazing, one of my all time favorites, and I'm pretty impressed especially over this past two season of how they have really brought the character alive as portrayed in the books.

My question to the forum would be "how seriously TWISTED" do you think Jeff Lindsay is, to have come up with this character and actually written MULTIPLE novels about him?

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:27 am UTC

Just watched the season 7 premiere...

Spoiler:
I think it was completely unnecessary for Debra to spend the entire episode figuring out that Dexter was a serial killer. I would have liked it better if Debra would have came right out and said "Fuck you, Dex. I want the fucking truth."

EDIT:

I think the conversation should have gone like this:

Spoiler:
Deb: Fuck you, Dex. I want the fucking truth. I wasn't born yesterday.
Dex: Well, I guess you caught me red-handed.
Deb: Looks like the cat's out of the bag.
Dex: I guess what goes up, must come down.
Deb: Stop beating around the bush.
Dex: What you see is what you get.
Deb: Dammit, Dex.
Dex: Fine, I'm a serial killer. Are you going to turn me in?
Deb: We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:01 am UTC

Yeah, I wasn't too fond of this episode. It wasn't bad, but there were some things that I didn't really like, and other thoughts I had in general:
Spoiler:
All I kept thinking was "Getting real tired of your bullshit Deb. Reaaaaal tired." This will probably turn out to be another case of Harry's Code being wrong; that Deb is actually accepting of Dexter and won't just shun him.

I didn't understand why La Guerda sent the slide to evidence, and then stole it from said evidence before it was processed. It just seemed like an unnecessary step.

It was also interesting they killed the black policeman off, again. We were betting who would be the first "important person" to die off this season, and everyone was pretty sure it would be either the black policeman or the babysitter.

Also, it's obvious that the boyfriend of the babysitter is going to be evil, but I just don't even care anymore. Maybe it's my fault because I can't remember who he is or what his deal is; I just vaguely remember he was interested in Dexter. Not sure how he got into Dexter's bank accounts, but wouldn't it be obvious it was him since he was using Dexter's computer and got caught by Dexter? I guess his plot arc must be starting soon.

And speaking of plot arcs, I wonder how/if that Ukranian mob boss is going to be important. Does he get pissy and come to America? Or perhaps they just wanted to show us the head-honcho of the Ukranians. Look at how opulent his abode is and seethe in hatred at his interior decorating choices!

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:36 am UTC

Spoiler:
Deb being slow on things: Shock seems like a reasonable enough explanation for why it wasn't an immediate thing.

Louis: You know, the creepy intern Masuka hired? The one who made the serial killer game that made Dexter really angry? The one who coded a GUI in Visual Basic to track an IP address is apparently a magical computer hacker?

LaGuerta's blood slide: As far as I can tell, she thought it was evidence one of the forensics people accidentally dropped or something. Then when she was talking to Masuka and heard about the only person to take blood slides being Doakes, she took it. Possibly thinking Doakes was actually still alive and trying to protect him, or maybe some other reason.

Also, Mike got killed because he got a spot on Sons of Anarchy and wasn't really going to have the time to commit to Dexter.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:59 am UTC

Ahh okay, that makes more sense, thanks!

roband

Postby roband » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:16 am UTC

Yeah, I was going to mention the SoA thing.

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:56 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:
Spoiler:
...Possibly thinking Doakes was actually still alive and trying to protect him, or maybe some other reason...

Spoiler:
Laguerta never believed Doakes was the Bay Harbor Butcher, so when Masuka said that she realized the implications of her find and is apparently going to consider what to do before revealing anything.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:49 am UTC

So, I recently started watching this show, and I'm enjoying it a lot.

But the show's creators apparently assume everybody speaks Spanish. However, I don't. Does anyone know where I can find subtitles for the spanish bit. Preferably english subtitles for both the english ánd spanish. Would help a lot.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

Dexter's back this Sunday, don't forget to tune in :)

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:36 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I'm thinking Vogel is the one behind the new brain butcher, as in she's the one coercing other people to kill.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:40 pm UTC

Spoiler:
That's my first thought, but I really hope it isn't the case; it would just be lazy writing.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:04 am UTC

So did anyone like the finale? Usually Dexter has a fairly suspenseful season finale, but this didn't leave me with any feeling of suspense whatsoever. I also don't really feel like the ending itself was very fitting.

roband

Postby roband » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:06 am UTC

I've heard lots of complaints about the ending, but I stopped watching halfway through the last season because I got bored. I'm not inspired to pick it back up again.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:24 am UTC

I'm a year late to the party. Hello.

Background:
The first season I watched was season 4, on it's first run on Showtime (when I had it for a short period). The combination of a well known guest star (in a non-comedic role) and
Spoiler:
the death of Rita
made for a very memorable season. I eventually got the first 3 seasons and they were pretty great, but different, what with Doakes and the character development I hadn't experienced. Season 5 was great with it's confronting of the issues from the cliffhanger. Season 6 started to lose me when they switched nannies without explaining it. I watched through to the end, the series finale.

Commentary on last episode/season:
Like a lot of people, I wasn't quite enamored with the last episode, final act, and the epilogues. The rest of this will obviously be a spoiler...so spoiler tags when I can/feel like it.

I always thought there was a purpose to the things introduced in each season, a formula. I could expect a big bad and lots of little kills. I was okay with less little kills as Dexter grew. I liked to think that season 8 might have a really big bad or multiple bads. The kid was a possibility
Spoiler:
but he wasn't that big and he became a pupil
, while the main bad turned out to be a sicko but not really any bigger than the others. He didn't seem to fuck with Dexter as much as Trinity. Not bigger, in other words. Maybe the Ice Truck Killer
Spoiler:
(his brother)
would have been a neat final end, but did they think they'd only have one season and blow their wad too early (as so many series have)?

Dexter's biggest enemy was himself, of course, and that was the metaphor we were supposed to gleam from the season/series. Hannah nor Deb really made him confront himself. Not Harrison, and not the big bad. Maybe Vogel, a little.
Spoiler:
Having him figure this out in the last moment before the end of the episode seemed like a bad way to go when they had a full season to do that. Actually, it would have been okay at that moment if they had another hour to go.

Now time for fantasy and comparison. It should have been a 2-hour episode. In fact, I'd be glad if they still did that with a movie for theaters that picks up at the end of the penultimate episode, ignoring the last episode. This needed more closure. The secondary characters needed to be proved to have been important.
Spoiler:
We needed the narration. If they wanted Dexter to be silent, fine, but what about others?
Something like a eulogy voice over for him and Deb? It felt careless to just drop them from existence as if they didn't matter. Only Hannah mattered?

So anyways, here's the fantasy (partly based on this fanfic):
Spoiler:
Deb still dies. Maybe just from getting shot and not the aneurysm (though that part didn't bother me too much). Dexter still abandons everyone. But, as in the fanfic, Deb shows up in place of his father, and harasses him until he actually confronts these issues of his. Having now met up with Hannah and Harrison, they start their perfect life together.
Oh, no, not a happy ending, don't worry. ;) Flashing forward a few until they're settled, we peek in on one of their perfect days. Dexter and Hannah are in kitchen, Harrison playing in the back. One earlier change before this is that when Harrison broke that vase, it wasn't accidental. Dexter, not seeing it happen, simply assumes so. Now back to the yard we see Harrison finding a new kitten to play with. He grabs it, running around the side (where the kitchen is) and the next thing we see and hear is a cat screeching from within the kitchen. Dexter and Hannah run out to investigate and find bloody hands and a bloody cat. They look at each other and know. A new narration by Dexter begins explaining how he knows that he can't fix these problems by not being there and that his son will need him to avoid living through a life like Dexter's.

Some of the other summing ups will be that Masuka and his daughter will take over the restaurant for Batista (who is sergeant and is too busy again) where the daughter will basically run the place and not have to work topless and stuff anymore. Joey's downward spiral will continue and he will give in fully to his bad cop status. This will place him as a future big bad (of the corruption kind) where he will fight Batista. We don't watch this, it's not the theme of Dexter, but we know what's going on now.

Conclusion:
I hope others are still around that might like to discuss this. I'd like to hear your own thoughts.

Edit: wrong link, fixed.
Last edited by azule on Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:43 am UTC

Yay, more discussion!

I loved the juxtaposition of getting moral lessons from a serial killer. That is, that even imperfect people have a place in this world and are valuable to society. I think it was aimed at people like me (I'm not a serial killer though).

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”