LOST

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Hurt

Re: LOST

Postby Hurt » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:39 pm UTC

I really hope we won't see anymore Kate focused episodes.
I have watched all the seasons three times but i still don't know what she is doing or why she is doing it.
It might just be me not getting the character but i have no sympathy for her whatsoever.
Spoiler:
Since she wasn't on Jacobs list, she probably won't be focused too much on.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:21 pm UTC

I think almost nobody likes Kate episodes.
Exit the vampires' castle.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:03 pm UTC

I don't think Kate is really meant to be sympathetic a lot of the time - the most recent episode focusing on her certainly didn't seem to take her side, what with things like
Spoiler:
Jin pointedly asking her who she cared about, and the fact that her antics almost got Jin killed.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

feedme

Postby feedme » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:05 pm UTC

Spoiler:
She probably was on Jacobs list. They didn't go through the whole cast of the Lost except for her, did they? Didn't Evil Locke (my friend refers to him as Locke Monster) say that he touched all of their lives to bring them to the island to see if they were worthy?

Hurt

Postby Hurt » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:47 pm UTC

feedme wrote:
Spoiler:
She probably was on Jacobs list. They didn't go through the whole cast of the Lost except for her, did they? Didn't Evil Locke (my friend refers to him as Locke Monster) say that he touched all of their lives to bring them to the island to see if they were worthy?

Correct.
Spoiler:
But since she has been deemed unworthy, maybe they will focus more on the remaining people, all much more interesting IMO.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:34 pm UTC

Kate's character's problem is that she's basically defined on the island by her relationship(s) with Jack and/or Sawyer. She has clearer motivations and characterizations during flashbacks and events off-island.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

feedme

Postby feedme » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:19 am UTC

Spoiler:
When was Kate deemed unworthy?

MikeBabaguh

Postby MikeBabaguh » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:00 am UTC

Spoiler:
That's what I'm trying to figure out. If she was deemed unworthy, she wouldn't have been allowed to return (last season) and she probably would've been killed by Smokey.
Pursue happiness, with diligence.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:13 am UTC

Spoiler:
Ithought that Fake Locke just didn't mention Kate on purpose, as he doesn't want to give Sawyer any possible reason to stay.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:10 am UTC

Spoiler:
yeah, we don't actually see her name on the cave wall so we don't know if it's crossed out or not (according to lostpedia anyway). Also I don't think we can trust anything Locke says as being entirely true. I'm imagining him to be a GLADOS type character, where some things may be true but he misses out the important bits, like "yeah, you'll get off the island, easy! [but then you'll catch fire and burn for all eternity]"

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:33 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Unless it's all building up to a giant fakeout and Evil Locke is actually the good guy. (I doubt it, but who fuckin' knows.)
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"

crowey

Postby crowey » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:06 pm UTC

I had thought that too... Trust no one.

feedme

Postby feedme » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:01 am UTC

Spoiler:
I liked the pebble he threw into the ocean though. That was a nice touch.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:45 am UTC

Oh right, I fucking lol'd at "Inside joke."

nickasummers

Postby nickasummers » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:47 am UTC

I think LOST is a pretty cool guy. Eh throws knives and DOESN'T AFRAID OF ANYTHING!

I don't care if Locke really is a bad guy. He is still awesome.

feedme

Postby feedme » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:39 am UTC

nickasummers wrote:I think LOST is a pretty cool guy. Eh throws knives and DOESN'T AFRAID OF ANYTHING!

...Uh, what?

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:01 am UTC

I think feedme is a pretty cool guy. eh doesn't know memes and doesn't afraid of anything.

feedme

Postby feedme » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:31 am UTC

Lazar wrote:I think feedme is a pretty cool guy. eh doesn't know memes and doesn't afraid of anything.

haha, is it bad I didn't even recognize those as memes?

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:28 am UTC

But Locke is always afraid, even when he pretends not to be. I didn't recognize the meme either, and I'm at a stage in my life when I consider not understanding memes to be a good thing.

Also
Spoiler:
Jack didn't have a son in the original time-line did he?
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Robstickle

Postby Robstickle » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:30 pm UTC

folkhero wrote:But Locke is always afraid, even when he pretends not to be. I didn't recognize the meme either, and I'm at a stage in my life when I consider not understanding memes to be a good thing.

Also
Spoiler:
Jack didn't have a son in the original time-line did he?

Spoiler:
No he didn't.

feedme

Postby feedme » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:28 pm UTC

Spoiler:
So why wasn't Ben on the island in the alternate universe? Just because their plane didn't crash, the whole island is underwater and doesn't exsist anymore?

frezik

Postby frezik » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:09 pm UTC

Did anyone else get a strong Myst vibe from the lighthouse scene? Lots of things in the first season reminded me of Myst, but I haven't felt that way in a while.

Princess Marzipan wrote:
Spoiler:
Unless it's all building up to a giant fakeout and Evil Locke is actually the good guy. (I doubt it, but who fuckin' knows.)

Spoiler:
I'm leaning towards this theory. There's been no direct evidence that there is any outside force that wants to take control the island, just a lot of infighting between humans who were all more or less part of the same group. The Aliens theory seems pretty well debunked, and I doubt you could start adding them at this point without it coming off as sloppy writing. If it's not going to be aliens, then who are the "they" that Jacob said were coming?

While Jacob seems like a nice guy on the surface, he can also be manipulative in getting people to do what he wants. He was probably expecting Jack to smash the mirrors in a rage (perhaps so Locke Monster couldn't use it?).

charliepanayi wrote:
Spoiler:
Ithought that Fake Locke just didn't mention Kate on purpose, as he doesn't want to give Sawyer any possible reason to stay.

Spoiler:
There's some relations to The Numbers here. All of them were covered in the names they showed in the cave, and presumably Kate's name is crossed out on the lighthouse dial, too.

feedme wrote:
Spoiler:
So why wasn't Ben on the island in the alternate universe? Just because their plane didn't crash, the whole island is underwater and doesn't exsist anymore?

Spoiler:
Desmond was on the plane, too, whereas in the original timeline, he's the one that inadvertently causes the crash by not pushing the button in time. There must be some event well before the plane took off that caused a bifurcation.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

feedme

Postby feedme » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:17 pm UTC

frezik wrote:
Spoiler:
Desmond was on the plane, too, whereas in the original timeline, he's the one that inadvertently causes the crash by not pushing the button in time. There must be some event well before the plane took off that caused a bifurcation.

Spoiler:
I figured that...but I just don't get it at this point. By that theory, that'd mean that the island was already underwater or nobody was there, or whatever, before the plane took off. So something happened to it before they got there. Unless them not going there, and not burying the hydrogen bomb, led to some sort of explosion or radiation poisoning and the island was evacuated. I dunno. They better explain why everything is different before they even got there.

JBJ

Postby JBJ » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:04 pm UTC

feedme wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
The Dharma barracks were shown to be underwater too, so whatever caused the island to sink in that timeline had to have taken place in the 70's or later. If the Losties detonating the bomb was the cause, remember that Chang evacuated a lot of Dharma people because he was given foreknowledge of the incident. Ben was very likely taken off the island at that time. Ben's father shot Sayid just a short time before the bomb went off. It's not likely he got off the island in time, so a Ben growing up without an abusive alcoholic father might turn into a fairly well adjusted adult. If not just a little bit anal about coffee maker courtesy.
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.

frezik

Postby frezik » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:52 pm UTC

JBJ wrote:
feedme wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
The Dharma barracks were shown to be underwater too, so whatever caused the island to sink in that timeline had to have taken place in the 70's or later.

Spoiler:
More evidence along those lines, which I didn't catch until I looked at the "Episode References" section on lostpedia for this episode, is that in the original timeline, Jack had his appendix taken out by Julia on the Island in season 4. In the new timeline, Jack's appendix was removed when he was 7 or 8. So something changed quite a while before.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:38 am UTC

Wow, I just saw the new episode, and was that one hell of an episode!

Spoiler:
Claire is totally the new Rousseau - she's so badass now, but also nuts. I think it's cool to see her character take a new direction. And the unLocke reveal at the end was such an awesome Oh me yarm moment.

feedme

Postby feedme » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:11 pm UTC

Spoiler:
When Jin told her that Kate took her baby or whatever, and had been raising it, I was like "Wow. She's taking that very well. I expected some sort of violent outburst." This thought was immediately followed by an axe to the kidney.

But yeah, I'm curious to see which way that whole Claire-Locke monster relationship will go. Does this mean she was talking to him before he had taken Locke's form, and if so, how?

JBJ

Postby JBJ » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:24 pm UTC

feedme wrote:
Spoiler:
But yeah, I'm curious to see which way that whole Claire-Locke monster relationship will go. Does this mean she was talking to him before he had taken Locke's form, and if so, how?

Spoiler:
It also explains (kinda) the episode where Claire visited Kate off the island as a dream/apparition. Explicitly telling Kate NOT to bring Aaron back to the island. Perhaps that was Locke-monster appearing to Kate to make sure Claire stays on his side. If Kate brought Aaron back to Claire, the Locke-monster would probably lose his hold on her. Seeing how he lied and said that the others have Aaron, and even if you're a smoke monster, having a pissed of feral-Claire isn't something to just dismiss.
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.

crowey

Postby crowey » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:34 pm UTC

JBJ wrote:
feedme wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
It also explains (kinda) the episode where Claire visited Kate off the island as a dream/apparition. Explicitly telling Kate NOT to bring Aaron back to the island. Perhaps that was Locke-monster appearing to Kate to make sure Claire stays on his side. If Kate brought Aaron back to Claire, the Locke-monster would probably lose his hold on her. Seeing how he lied and said that the others have Aaron, and even if you're a smoke monster, having a pissed of feral-Claire isn't something to just dismiss.

Spoiler:
but I don't think Locke monster can leave the island can he? Maybe he can, but the implication seems to be that Jacob has trapped him there and he's manipulating people so that he can escape.
It could be Jacob pretending to be Claire though, maybe Aaron being on the island is important for Lockemonster to succeed?
I don't understand why she wants to kill Kate for looking after Aaron though.

Totally the new Rousseau, even down to a parallel with when she caught Sayid in one of the early series. I think Rousseau wasn't on Lockemonster's team though. Didn't she kill all of her people when they got "infected"?
Unless there are two infections, one for Team Jacob and one for Team Locke?

feedme

Postby feedme » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:08 pm UTC

crowey wrote:but I don't think Locke monster can leave the island can he? Maybe he can, but the implication seems to be that Jacob has trapped him there and he's manipulating people so that he can escape.
It could be Jacob pretending to be Claire though, maybe Aaron being on the island is important for Lockemonster to succeed?
[/spoiler]

Spoiler:
I think that's just one of those "you stole my baby" type things. Even if its illogical, it's how she feels (and she does appear pretty crazy now, too).
It does seem like Lockemonster is trapped, but maybe using some voodoo he can appear to people off the island? I wanna know who he is and why he's trapped!

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:19 pm UTC

crowey wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Hopefully they'll finally expand on the "raised by another"/Australian psychic guy issue.

Robstickle

Postby Robstickle » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:30 pm UTC

crowey wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
This is the same woman who screamed at Charlie when him and Sayid wanted her to stay home while they looked for Aaron. Logical thinking isn't her forté.

And that was she spent three years with nothing but herself and MIB for company.

frezik

Postby frezik » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:19 pm UTC

Robstickle wrote:
crowey wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
This is the same woman who screamed at Charlie when him and Sayid wanted her to stay home while they looked for Aaron. Logical thinking isn't her forté.

And that was she spent three years with nothing but herself and MIB for company.

Spoiler:
Yeah, Claire is just plain unhinged. No sense looking for logic in her actions.

Christo

Postby Christo » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:16 pm UTC

Hey, I thought you guys might get a kick out of this LOST parody we did in our webcomic. This is the first panel of a three-parter, so give a click if you want to continue the adventure and discover the answer to the show's biggest secret: What's in the box?

Tell me what you think.
www.cuttingroomcomic.com - a twice a week webcomic about recently released and upcoming movies.

Krong

Postby Krong » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:00 am UTC

I bet baby Claire is in the box. She's a baby because there's time travel.
The answer to the question "What’s wrong with the world?" is just two words: "I am." -- G. K. Chesterton (attributed)

Christo

Postby Christo » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:21 am UTC

Krong wrote:I bet baby Claire is in the box. She's a baby because there's time travel.

That's pretty damn funny, but what's inside the box is even more tied up in the narrative structure of LOST. I'm betting no one can guess it, but it'll make a lot of sense when it's revealed.
www.cuttingroomcomic.com - a twice a week webcomic about recently released and upcoming movies.

spupy

Postby spupy » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:49 pm UTC

Christo wrote:
Krong wrote:I bet baby Claire is in the box. She's a baby because there's time travel.

That's pretty damn funny, but what's inside the box is even more tied up in the narrative structure of LOST. I'm betting no one can guess it, but it'll make a lot of sense when it's revealed.

After I read your post, in my head I heard the sound from the end of a Lost episode after a cliffhanger appears and the screen goes black. :D
There are two types of people in this world - those who can count to 10 by using their fingers, and those who can count to 1023 by using their fingers.

Christo

Postby Christo » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:37 pm UTC

spupy wrote:After I read your post, in my head I heard the sound from the end of a Lost episode after a cliffhanger appears and the screen goes black. :D

How cool would it be if that always happened? I'd have to be sure I end everything I say with something dramatic, like: "You're just going to have to trust me!" or "Damn it, spupy! You're the father!"

Krong

Postby Krong » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:26 am UTC

spupy wrote:After I read your post, in my head I heard the sound from the end of a Lost episode after a cliffhanger appears and the screen goes black. :D

After I read your post, in my head I pictured you* reading something at a computer normally, but then slowly freaking out as you start hearing the slowly building cliffhanger strings. The end sound comes. Then you look around, all shocked and wide-eyed as the camera zooms in for a close up. Then the end sound and cut-to-black finishes the scene.

* Of course, I don't know what you look like, so I just pictured Jack instead. He's good at the whole shocked-look thing.
The answer to the question "What’s wrong with the world?" is just two words: "I am." -- G. K. Chesterton (attributed)

spupy

Postby spupy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:56 am UTC

Krong wrote:

After I read your post, in my head I pictured you* reading something at a computer normally, but then slowly freaking out as you start hearing the slowly building cliffhanger strings. The end sound comes. Then you look around, all shocked and wide-eyed as the camera zooms in for a close up. Then the end sound and cut-to-black finishes the scene.

* Of course, I don't know what you look like, so I just pictured Jack instead. He's good at the whole shocked-look thing.

And when I woke up, the guy from the beginning of episodes goes: "Previously, on spupy's life..." and goes on to summarize the things I did at the party last night.

Anyway, on topic:
Do you guys want to get the answers to everything on Lost? There were a couple of articles on io9.com lately regarding whether all on the show will be revealed. I see no way to give some explanations like "Jacob and the Man In Black are this and that guy from greek mythology." (for example) and not sound stupid. Even if such theories are correct, the can't be explained on-screen.
What I hope for is a satisfactory ending, giving enough clues to explain most things ourselves.
There are two types of people in this world - those who can count to 10 by using their fingers, and those who can count to 1023 by using their fingers.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”