LOST

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SlyReaper
inflatable

Re: LOST

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:52 pm UTC

Christo wrote:Hey, I thought you guys might get a kick out of this LOST parody we did in our webcomic. This is the first panel of a three-parter, so give a click if you want to continue the adventure and discover the answer to the show's biggest secret: What's in the box?

Spoiler:

Tell me what you think.

Care to post the others for those of us reading from behind a corporate web filter?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Christo

Postby Christo » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:59 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Care to post the others for those of us reading from behind a corporate web filter?

Your web filter won't let you on my site, but they'll let you on XKCD? That's weird.

Anyway, the strip is too wide to post in it's usual format, so I've cut up part one for your enjoyment. But if you want to solve the mystery of what's in the box, you'll have to find a way around the filter.

www.cuttingroomcomic.com - a twice a week webcomic about recently released and upcoming movies.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:32 pm UTC

Christo wrote:Your web filter won't let you on my site, but they'll let you on XKCD? That's weird.

Aye, the filter blocks every webcomic and forum except xkcd. I suspect the network admin is an xkcd dweller.

Christo

Postby Christo » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:45 pm UTC

Krong wrote:* Of course, I don't know what you look like, so I just pictured Jack instead. He's good at the whole shocked-look thing.

I've added an avatar so you don't have to imagine anymore.

Spupy, I'll be pretty damn pissed if we don't get answers. I also won't be surprised.
www.cuttingroomcomic.com - a twice a week webcomic about recently released and upcoming movies.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:25 am UTC

How did Miles recognize Claire? Didn't she go AWOL well before Miles ever came to the Island?
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:45 am UTC

No I'm pretty sure they met. She was definitely with the group that went to the radio tower to call the boat, and that was at the end of one of the seasons. Claire didn't go loopy and run off until near the end of the next one, and Miles was definitely among them by then.

Who was that loan shark cooking eggs? I'm sure I've seen his face and heard his voice before, and judging by the dramatic chords when he showed up, I know I'm supposed to recognise him from somewhere. Was he one of Ben's Others?

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:08 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Who was that loan shark cooking eggs? I'm sure I've seen his face and heard his voice before, and judging by the dramatic chords when he showed up, I know I'm supposed to recognise him from somewhere. Was he one of Ben's Others?

That was Martin Keamy, the leader of Widmore's troopers in the previous season.
Exit the vampires' castle.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:11 am UTC

Ah, got it. Thanks.

He looks somewhat different in civvies.

spupy

Postby spupy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:33 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Ah, got it. Thanks.

But he still radiates douchebag-waves.

Do you guys have any theories as to what the purpose of showing the off-island alt timeline is? In some (most?all?) they show that the people are not that different in the two timelines - Sayid didn't want to do the thing, but finally did it; Locke didn't want to be told what he can and can't do; etc. Their actions are similar but in different contexts.
However, there are some interesting differences - in the alt timeline, Jack has his appendix removed at age 7-8, while in normal timeline Juliet removes it somewhere in season 3 or 4. This means that there is something else that caused the divergence of the timelines, and not the plane crash.
Man, the alt. timeline will have some major mindscrew at the end. I can feel it!

At the end of this article:
http://io9.com/5484373/spoiler-onslaugh ... 3-and-lost
there are some interesting spoilers. (More like teasers, actually, but still interesting.)
Last edited by spupy on Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
There are two types of people in this world - those who can count to 10 by using their fingers, and those who can count to 1023 by using their fingers.

frezik

Postby frezik » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:07 pm UTC

The timelines are supposed to converge at some point. How that's going to work should be a major mind-frell.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

Robstickle

Postby Robstickle » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:50 pm UTC

spupy wrote:However, there are some interesting differences - in the alt timeline, Jack has his appendix removed at age 7-8, while in normal timeline Juliet removes it somewhere in season 3 or 4. This means that there is something else that caused the divergence of the timelines, and not the plane crash.

Well if the island is gone then Jacob has no reason to interfere with their lives, that's my theory as to why their alt lives are so different anyway.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:24 pm UTC

Robstickle wrote:Well if the island is gone then Jacob has no reason to interfere with their lives, that's my theory as to why their alt lives are so different anyway.

Yup, that's what I was thinking too.
It seems that the characters are all having slight glitch in the matrix moments in the alt universe. Like when Jack couldn't remember having his appendix out as a kid, and how some of them look a bit confused when they meet for the first time, as if they've seen the other person before but can't remember where.

I was also wondering if the alt universe is a trick by Jacob or the Locke monster to show what their lives would have been like without Jacob/the island. So I suspect all their lives in the alt universe will all go to crap, coinciding with the Big Final Battle on the island.

Christo

Postby Christo » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:56 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Ah, got it. Thanks.

He also looks different in a fat suit.
That's him playing The Blob in last summer's Wolverine. I hope that's a fat suit.

Krong

Postby Krong » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:39 am UTC

Christo wrote:
Krong wrote:* Of course, I don't know what you look like, so I just pictured Jack instead. He's good at the whole shocked-look thing.

I've added an avatar so you don't have to imagine anymore.

Sweet.

This week's episode:
Spoiler:
I'm pretty glad that they killed off the new temple characters already, as they really weren't interesting and there's not enough time to develop them.
The answer to the question "What’s wrong with the world?" is just two words: "I am." -- G. K. Chesterton (attributed)

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:50 am UTC

Jack has a face for every situation.

Spoiler:
jackface_1-1.jpg
jackface_1-1.jpg (11.36 KiB) Viewed 5900 times
Exit the vampires' castle.

spupy

Postby spupy » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:57 am UTC

Lazar wrote:Jack has a face for every situation.

Spoiler:
jackface_1-1.jpg

<Hurley's voice>dude, I was just drinking water in front of my laptop!</Hurley's voice>
There are two types of people in this world - those who can count to 10 by using their fingers, and those who can count to 1023 by using their fingers.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:26 am UTC

I'm about to watch this week's.

Before I watched Locke's recent episode, I just happened to have watched season 1 episode 4 after doing a rerun of season 1.

Guys, watch the corresponding season 1 episodes before the new season 6 ones. They appear to be connected.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

frezik

Postby frezik » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:24 am UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:Guys, watch the corresponding season 1 episodes before the new season 6 ones. They appear to be connected.

They were paralleling the same character-focus in the flashbacks/flashsideways, up until the most recent episode. They probably wouldn't have been able to for ep 7, anyway, since that character died in the main timeline. Granted, that might not necessarily stop the writers from trying.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

Robstickle

Postby Robstickle » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:38 pm UTC

Oh my god I never realized until Richard
Spoiler:
hinted heavily that he was on the Black Rock (which I'd already guessed)
how much I want Richard to have a flashback episode.

feedme

Postby feedme » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:23 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I wanted to see what happened when that dynamite Jack had blew up. Richard standing there, Jack gone.

And btw, "Ya ok, if you want me...I'll be like a mile away" was the best thing I've heard Hurley say

spupy

Postby spupy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:05 am UTC

Spoiler:
I loved Jack's mad grin after the dynamite didn't blow up. :lol:

Robstickle wrote:Oh my god I never realized until Richard
Spoiler:

According to some spoilers/teasers from io9.com, episodes 9 will be Richard-centric episode.

Krong

Postby Krong » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:58 am UTC

Definitely not the best line, but maybe the best-delivered line in LOST came from last night's episode:
Spoiler:
Miles: Uh oh!
(Right before the title animation, in reference to Ilana saying Jacob was the closest thing she'd had to a father, after it was revealed that Ben had killed him.)

Personally, I thought it was hilarious. Your mileage may vary.
The answer to the question "What’s wrong with the world?" is just two words: "I am." -- G. K. Chesterton (attributed)

MikeBabaguh

Postby MikeBabaguh » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:37 am UTC

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Hmm. Not to spoil your fun, but I've assumed Richard was originally on the Black Rock ever since it was revealed his lifespan was longer than normal.
Pursue happiness, with diligence.

feedme

Postby feedme » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:53 pm UTC

MikeBabaguh wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Hmm. Not to spoil your fun, but I've assumed Richard was originally on the Black Rock ever since it was revealed his lifespan was longer than normal.

Spoiler:
To be fair, he said he'd already guessed it. I just want some explanation as to how the Man in Black became a smoke monster and such. I feel like they'll just gloss over it and say "he turned evil" though. That'd be upsetting.

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:38 pm UTC

Anyone else notice the "reunion" scene with all the hugging at the end of the recent episode (Dr. Linus) was almost an exact copy of a scene from an earlier series? I wish I could remember which episode it was now...
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:43 pm UTC

Lot's of information in this last episode...
Spoiler:
though I wish they didn't use it as an excuse for Ben to redeem himself in the alternate reality - I liked his tormented and selfish obsession with power. There's still time for him to turn on the rest of the camp, I suppose.
Spoiler:
Also, I was a little weirded out by Richard talking about how Jacob "touched" him... I'm sure it was intended to hint that all the people that Jacob had touched were given the same 'gift', but still creepy.
I don't know what to do for you

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:50 pm UTC

Ah, got it, it turns out the reunion scene on the beach at the end was a recreation of the similar scene from the Season 3 episode One of Us. A nice touch by the creators there, I felt.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

Christo

Postby Christo » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:00 am UTC

uncivlengr wrote:Lot's of information in this last episode...
Spoiler:
though I wish they didn't use it as an excuse for Ben to redeem himself in the alternate reality - I liked his tormented and selfish obsession with power. There's still time for him to turn on the rest of the camp, I suppose.
Spoiler:
Also, I was a little weirded out by Richard talking about how Jacob "touched" him... I'm sure it was intended to hint that all the people that Jacob had touched were given the same 'gift', but still creepy.

No joke, that line was totally creepy.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:33 am UTC

the_bandersnatch wrote:Anyone else notice the "reunion" scene with all the hugging at the end of the recent episode (Dr. Linus) was almost an exact copy of a scene from an earlier series? I wish I could remember which episode it was now...
I thought it was a really telling contrast to the end of the previous episode, which had a different group of coming together, just with less hugging. Which leads me to think that what I was hoping for will not come to pass.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

HiddenCounter

Postby HiddenCounter » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:30 am UTC

I was theorizing, and do you remember the shark-like submarine that charles used? The island is said to travel in time and never physically be there. What if Charles Widmore who knew about it in both time lines. What if he was traveling to the main time line in the submarine because he knew the science behind it. This could explain the converging of universes. If they are going to converge.
http://www.freesportsbet.com/HiddenCounter.html Free Bets, pm me for details on the validity and rules.

MikeBabaguh

Postby MikeBabaguh » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:36 am UTC

I don't think they're going to converge anymore. The flash-sidewayses have all been a "what if" side-story for the main characters, and none have had any connection to the "main" storyline. If there was going to be a link they'd have had to start making motions towards a convergence already.

HiddenCounter

Postby HiddenCounter » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:43 am UTC

MikeBabaguh wrote:I don't think they're going to converge anymore. The flash-sidewayses have all been a "what if" side-story for the main characters, and none have had any connection to the "main" storyline. If there was going to be a link they'd have had to start making motions towards a convergence already.

The characters are interconnecting again and the situations they had on the island and the choices, they're sort of happening back civilization. I think the similarities of it are them converging. Like take claire, if the island did not exist, the physic would of never told claire what was what and she would of never went on the plane. She did go on the plane. Bad example actually.
http://www.freesportsbet.com/HiddenCounter.html Free Bets, pm me for details on the validity and rules.

frezik

Postby frezik » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:13 am UTC

HiddenCounter wrote:Like take claire, if the island did not exist, the physic would of never told claire what was what and she would of never went on the plane. She did go on the plane. Bad example actually.

That psychic once flat out admitted to Eko that he was a fraud. He probably had some financial reason for all the semi-stalking he did around Claire.

A better example would be Ben giving up power for the sake of Alex in the flash-sideways.

HiddenCounter

Postby HiddenCounter » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:11 am UTC

frezik wrote:
HiddenCounter wrote:Like take claire, if the island did not exist, the physic would of never told claire what was what and she would of never went on the plane. She did go on the plane. Bad example actually.

That psychic once flat out admitted to Eko that he was a fraud. He probably had some financial reason for all the semi-stalking he did around Claire.

A better example would be Ben giving up power for the sake of Alex in the flash-sideways.
That is actually why I said that. Alright, I gave my theory, what's your theory on the ending?

frezik

Postby frezik » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:07 am UTC

HiddenCounter wrote:That is actually why I said that. Alright, I gave my theory, what's your theory on the ending?

The MIB ends up being right (or perhaps, more right than wrong), and the fight between him and Jacob will end up akin to Vorlons vs. Shadows, where neither side neatly fits into good or evil pidgin holes. Hurley will end up taking leadership of the Island, just because that would be the biggest mind-frack the show could give us.

HiddenCounter

Postby HiddenCounter » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:18 pm UTC

frezik wrote:
HiddenCounter wrote:That is actually why I said that. Alright, I gave my theory, what's your theory on the ending?

The MIB ends up being right (or perhaps, more right than wrong), and the fight between him and Jacob will end up akin to Vorlons vs. Shadows, where neither side neatly fits into good or evil pidgin holes. Hurley will end up taking leadership of the Island, just because that would be the biggest mind-frack the show could give us.
I think the biggest mind-shit would be saywer taking control of the island.

We can assume Sawyer is out and Sayid is out.

So we have the Kwons, Hurly, and Jack. I think Jack is too unstable so he won't be it. Which would leave Kwon and Hurly. I am going out on a limb and say Kwons are together on the candidacy. Richard said "The greatest gift is being touched by Jacob." Jin and Sun were both touched by Jacob at the same time.

MikeBabaguh

Postby MikeBabaguh » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:47 am UTC

The episode where Evil Locke takes Sawyer to Jacob's cave and shows him the ceiling has a line of dialogue something along the lines of "only one of the Kwon's is a candidate." Locke didn't know which one.

nickasummers

Postby nickasummers » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:12 am UTC

He didnt say that only one was a candidate, he merely said that "kwon" is only listed once. they could still be "together".

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:23 am UTC

I could see it being Hurley. I have an essay around here somewhere that had a really good explanation for why Hurley could always have been considered the real leader on the island, so I could definitely see them going that route with it.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:02 pm UTC

I wonder how much nerd rage would ensue if Lost turned out to be one epic shaggy dog story? It's just Hurley's imagination, and he's been in the asylum the whole time. Seriously, the Nate The Snake joke would have nothing on Lost if they did that.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”