LOST

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Sour Apple

LOST

Postby Sour Apple » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:18 am UTC

Freaking hell. There is no topic for LOST?

Here let us discuss LOST, its frustrating lack of answers...
Spoiler:
its hot rippling characters with hot rippling muscles
... and other such marvels.

Tonight's episode was wondrous. Wouldn't all agree? It reminded me of The Time Traveler's Wife.
Who I am. [Apparently this isn't obvious: I'm a chick, a bird, a female of your species.]

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Re: LOST

Postby Quixotess » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:16 am UTC

I propose a discussion on which character is the most sexy, and I would like to immediately bring the discussion to a conclusion like this: SAYID SAYID SAYID.

Sayid is God. There's something about power held in check that makes me all bothered, and Sayid's technological competence/ torturing knowledge/ fighting skills combined with his precise diction and gentle manner is pretty orgasmic.

I liked tonight's episode more than last week's. Although that could have been because of the total lack of Sayid last week. Seriously, that A-team--Locke, Jack, Kate, Sawyer--are all completely dense and self-involved. Sayid pretty effortlessly takes care of everything. I also like the fact that he is not involved in a complicated, whiny romantic relationship. It makes his interaction with the women on the island real. Also I'm still not over the finale, with the feet-snapping-neck thing. Sayid is God.

In other news, I was happy for the plot development but still think this Penny/Desmond thing is a little cheesy.

Hey, has anyone checked out the Lost fanfiction? I wonder what the most popular pairings are.
Raise up the torch and light the way.

Sour Apple

Postby Sour Apple » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:31 am UTC

Hey, don't say that... I get so easily affected by the opinions of others that now I'm going to start saying it's cheesy, too...

As far as Sayid goes: meh. I don't understand why he risked his life for Nadia and then quickly got into a deep, "meaningful" relationship with Shannon on the island. I mean, come on. He claimed he really loved her after, what, a month? Clearly his feelings for Nadia couldn't have been that strong. I think I would have been happier if he had admitted to just wanting to be Shannon's fuck buddy.
Who I am. [Apparently this isn't obvious: I'm a chick, a bird, a female of your species.]

SteaL7h

Postby SteaL7h » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:41 am UTC

Cool, a topic on LOST!
*Opens the topic*
*Goes trough the posts*
Blargh, just talking about Naveen Andrews...
"Well, shit." My intro.

Sour Apple

Postby Sour Apple » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:48 am UTC

I was actually trying to get away from that...

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:57 am UTC

SteaL7h wrote:Cool, a topic on LOST!
*Opens the topic*
*Goes trough the posts*
Blargh, just talking about Naveen Andrews...

This is silly. If you have something else you wish to speak about, then bring it up yourself.

Nexuapex

Postby Nexuapex » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:20 pm UTC

Jumping-back-and-forth-between-Desmond-and-Penny-each-trying-to-tell-the-other-that-they-won't-give-up: Blah.

Self-referential scripts: Woot. (Past!Faraday: "A time paradox? How uninspired.")

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:30 am UTC

So, anyone feel like tossing togeather a list of the Island's Magic powers thus far?

Hugh Manatee

Postby Hugh Manatee » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:34 pm UTC

I think lately the show's throwing up to many pins to juggle, we learn stuff but it's not much we really want to know.... It's like if they juggle enough stuff they'll hope we forget some things when they drop them.... but it is a freaking awesome show. I also bet(pure speculation) all these new guys are going to get whacked like 90% of the tail section did, it's a matter of time before Sayid sinks the boat with all hands.... Also occasionally it's asking us to suspend a little to much belief... like:
Spoiler:
the ghost buster guy with the thing that looks like half a wet dry vac, or the time travel thinee from last week.

I dunno, it's getting out there but I'm along for the ride.

Sour Apple

Postby Sour Apple » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:01 pm UTC

I'm actually disappointed that LOST can't keep it consistent. I mean, I did enjoy the Desmond flipping back and forth in time thing, but the montage at the end? Not good. Keep it together, people!

And, as I alway do when discussing the occasionally weak script of LOST, I must bring this up because it's so funny: Writers of Lost.

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:38 pm UTC

Sour Apple wrote:Tonight's episode was wondrous. Wouldn't all agree? It reminded me of The Time Traveler's Wife.

I agree - except, it reminded me of Slaughterhouse 5, but they're both great books. And tonight's episode was great, I agree.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

yellie

Postby yellie » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:42 pm UTC

I like how they're kind of giving us answers this season (it finally feels like they know where they're going with story arcs and everything) and I love the idea of the "Oceanic Six". And I am in love with Daniel Faraday. He's bumbling and wears a little tie and does experiments and is a physicist and oh my god, you guys, I love him.

Questions in spoiler form, just in case!
Spoiler:
Oceanic Six: Kate, Jack, Hurley, Sayid, ???, ??? Personally, I don't think Sawyer made it. I think Locke might have been the one in the coffin in last season's finale, although I can't think why he would get off the island.
Does Aaron count as one of the six even though he was born on the island?
If Claire isn't raising Aaron herself, doesn't that mean he'll turn into the anti-Christ or something?
Who's Benry's contact on the boat? I'm betting Michael.
Where did Patchy and Eyeliner Guy go?

Jarne

Postby Jarne » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:01 pm UTC

yellie wrote:Questions in spoiler form, just in case!
Spoiler:
Oceanic Six: Kate, Jack, Hurley, Sayid, ???, ??? Personally, I don't think Sawyer made it. I think Locke might have been the one in the coffin in last season's finale, although I can't think why he would get off the island.
If Claire isn't raising Aaron herself, doesn't that mean he'll turn into the anti-Christ or something?

The actor playing Eyeliner Guy got hired for another TV show (Cane, I think) and isn't in this season.

the_bandersnatch
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:04 am UTC

And wasn't Patchy supposed to have finally died in the explosion at the end of Series 3? Though I wouldn't bet money on it.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:16 am UTC

yellie wrote:
Spoiler:

Man, I hate having to use spoiler tags here. Can't we just agree that if you're in the thread, you've watched the show? *grumble grumble*
Well, in any case
Spoiler:
Common fandom conspiracy theory: Christian Shepard is the last member of the Oceanic Six. They could claim somehow that he was really alive even though he was in the coffin, like how many people would know that he is supposed to be dead?

Okay, but anyway, in the last two seasons my love for Ben has grown to nearly the same as my love for Sayid, but for very different reasons. I think Ben has to be my favorite villain in any medium, ever. I can't think of anyone better. Everything he does is just so...evil, all the time, every day in every way--he lies, he cheats, he messes with people's heads! I'm totally rooting for him against
Spoiler:
Charles Widmore. Charles is arrogant and cruel, but he can't touch the Benry for the sheer joy that it would be to watch his reign of terror.

I would almost tell Juliet to just bite the bullet and be his little pet because really under his protection is probably the safest place to be; he's the smartest, most powerful character. But it's impossible because really I don't think you can have sex with evil incarnate. Seriously, that was the most creepy episode ever. Not-serious question: Could Juliet ever really consent to sexual relations with Ben? Any time she thought she would be consenting she would probably actually be a victim of his little mind games.

Also, did anyone else notice the hair in this episode? The humidity is really getting to Kate and Juliet especially. I would wonder if they're going for realism, but I knew they weren't really dedicated to that ever since the Kate/Sawyer bear cage sex. If you noticed when he pulled her arms up, she had no underarm hair whatsoever--I looked pretty closely and there was NOTHING. ...Not that I search for these things, really, it just jumped out at me.

/fangirl

standinginherfield

Postby standinginherfield » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:51 am UTC

Regarding temporal paradoxes:

I have to say it.
I've watched a few episodes of Lost, and am consistently stunned by the looks of completely insane degrees of horror/distress/confusion/excitement/et cetera on the faces of my enraptured fellow viewers.
Last week, I believe it was, where so-and-so mucked about with temporal paradoxes, each commercial break meant a cacophany of "OH MY GAWD THIS IS INSANE! THIS IS SO INSANE! THIS STORY IS INSANE!"
I have to admit I am nonplussed. It seems to me to be immensely predictable, at least within the episode -
Spoiler:
oh, rat will die, yes that does mean you will die, yes, that bit about an anchor is surely going to link back to those phonecalls your girlfriend has been inexplicable giving.
My explanation for the "been done" impression I had was verbalised to my peers:

"Guys...you know, you should just watch Star Trek."

Their answer is valid, I suppose, as long as you're aware of it.
"But people on Star Trek don't have bodies like that."
Last edited by standinginherfield on Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
maintain wonder.

yellie

Postby yellie » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:24 am UTC

Quixotess wrote:
yellie wrote:
Spoiler:

Man, I hate having to use spoiler tags here. Can't we just agree that if you're in the thread, you've watched the show? *grumble grumble*
Well, in any case
Spoiler:
Common fandom conspiracy theory: Christian Shepard is the last member of the Oceanic Six. They could claim somehow that he was really alive even though he was in the coffin, like how many people would know that he is supposed to be dead?

Okay, but anyway, in the last two seasons my love for Ben has grown to nearly the same as my love for Sayid, but for very different reasons. I think Ben has to be my favorite villain in any medium, ever. I can't think of anyone better. Everything he does is just so...evil, all the time, every day in every way--he lies, he cheats, he messes with people's heads!

Just in case, I'm gonna spoiler this.
Spoiler:
Ooh, I haven't heard that theory! It makes so much sense, as well. Didn't Jack say something about Christian in his flashforward/Jack To The Future episode? And the person in Jacob's cabin looks a LOT like him...

I've heard theories that say stuff like the island is in a time bubble, and whoever crashes into that time bubble will revert back to themselves in that time (e.g: the island is stuck in 1990, so when someone crashes there, they will revert back to their 1990 selves) so maybe that's what happened to Christian? Or maybe the island just revived him like it healed Locke and Rose?

And seriously? Ben is my one of my all-time favourite characters in any show ever. He's deliciously evil and clever and snarky and Michael Emerson has this incredible way of going from "you're miiine *hiss*" to "cleanin mah sheets!" and even manages to make it believable. Guh, I love Ben irrationally.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:18 am UTC

I was thinking about this show today and why I like it so much, and I think it's because of what a great job they do with conflicting motivations. Everyone is real, and these characters all move and act and react. When Locke blew up the submarine, it was amazing because of how it screwed everyone over. Back in season one, when Kate wanted so badly not for anyone to see the case that she lied, cheated, and fought for it. Rousseau, practical and not willing to do anything that could jeopardize her survival. Michael, selfish to the point of villainy, doing *anything* to keep his son alive. And of course Ben, and it's hard to figure out what he wants, but it does seem consistent judging by his actions.

I think the best example of this is the season 3 finale, because people kept doing these things that made complete sense in terms of their characters but which came as a total surprise because you had forgotten about them. I'm still not over Hurley and the car. Or Locke doing his knife-throwing right into Naomi's back.

Sour Apple

Postby Sour Apple » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:48 am UTC

standinginherfield wrote:Last week, I believe it was, where so-and-so mucked about with temporal paradoxes, each commercial break meant a cacophany of "OH MY GAWD THIS IS INSANE! THIS IS SO INSANE! THIS STORY IS INSANE!"
I have to admit I am nonplussed.

Why do you have to post here? Last week was one of my all-time favorite episodes other than Flashes Before Your Eyes, and whenever people diss my favorites I feel horrible. Not only is it assumed that all people in this thread have seen LOST, but ALSO I assume that everyone here ENJOYS it. Please, it ruins the fun when you act superior to the rest of us mere mortals who find the Des-Penny storyline fascinating. Thank you.

Anyway, one thing I did think was stupid last night was Kate turning her back on Charlotte to look in the bag. I mean, really. She's usually so savvy, and I admire her. But at the dumbest occasions, she goes and does things like that.

standinginherfield

Postby standinginherfield » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:56 pm UTC

Sour Apple wrote:stuff

Alright, touché - i apologise. i suppose if i followed the show more regularly i wouldn't have been so objective as to use words like "nonplussed." For goodness' sake, though, don't "feel horrible" on my account!! i'm just a trekker on a high horse.

...and i still say the temporal paradox is mastered (nay, slaughtered) in the hands of Trek.
maintain wonder.

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:17 am UTC

i have been glad to see more creepy ben. he's probably my favorite character.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

the_bandersnatch

Postby the_bandersnatch » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:57 pm UTC

Sour Apple wrote:Anyway, one thing I did think was stupid last night was Kate turning her back on Charlotte to look in the bag. I mean, really. She's usually so savvy, and I admire her. But at the dumbest occasions, she goes and does things like that.

Yes, that really bothered me too. I mean, after all the times people have been hit, knocked out, had guns pointed at them, shot, stabbed and blown up you'd think she would have learned. Also, have you noticed Jack doesn't seem that bothered by getting any answers when he could get so many from Juliette? That bugs me a little, because I'd be having a good chat over a cup of tea about everything she knows.

Sour Apple

Postby Sour Apple » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:59 pm UTC

Many things Jack does bothers me. He should never have become the leader, but I guess because he's a doctor he seemed like the best fit in the beginning. But honestly, he's an ass.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:08 pm UTC

Yeah but then we'd get answers to some of the mysteries. And that cannot EVER happen! We must remain in the dark until the grand finale where we find out that Hurley actually bought the island with his lottery millions and caused the plane to crash there to teach beautiful people a lesson.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:19 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Yeah but then we'd get answers to some of the mysteries. And that cannot EVER happen! We must remain in the dark until the grand finale where we find out that Hurley actually bought the island with his lottery millions and caused the plane to crash there to teach beautiful people a lesson.

But little did he know, the Island was filled with cursed Aztec gold burried there centuries ago by pirates.

Aradae

Postby Aradae » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:13 am UTC

I really liked this episode and I really like this whole thing that they are doing with "The Oceanic Six" foreshadowing what events are going to happen in the coming seasons.

Spoiler:
Does Jin count as one of the oceanic six or could it be that he died on the island.
Guys guys guys! I found Russel's teapot! . . . nevermind, it was just Jesus flying to Mars again.

Celestial

Postby Celestial » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:20 am UTC

I love watching LOST ! but I gotta say Sourapple's Avatar reminds me of Desmond! it must be the hair or something ;)

Sour Apple

Postby Sour Apple » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC

I'm not sure that's a good thing, seeing as I'm a girl...

Also, I really think Jin doesn't count, and neither does Aaron, because they have to make the revelation of the sixth person a huge deal.

Celestial

Postby Celestial » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:36 am UTC

Im so sorry I really could not tell.. I didnt mean to offend!

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:31 pm UTC

Sour Apple wrote:I'm not sure that's a good thing, seeing as I'm a girl...

Also, I really think Jin doesn't count, and neither does Aaron, because they have to make the revelation of the sixth person a huge deal.

I thought your avatar was supposed to be Oscar Wilde :shock: . Difficult to tell because of the hand blocking off half the face.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

Really? I thought Sun was number six?

Oh, and Michael? CALLED IT. Just sayin'.

I liked it with Desmond and Sayid, them confined in the room. It was more than a little slashy. I also liked the way Desmond didn't feel like he could handle the event of a piece of paper sliding under the door without being all "Sayid! What should we do? Should we pick it up??" And I laughed when he was complaining about the banging-on-pipes. It's like, you would think that Desmond would have a little more patience with listening to repetitive noises in confined spaces.

And when the Captain said "dude, we really really want to talk to Benjamin Linus," I just kind of shook my head. Silly Captain! Any contact with Ben is certain to lead to death. Ben is more evil than you can possibly imagine. He's like the One Ring that way.

And finally, I kind of wish the woman playing Juliet had more than one facial expression. It's starting to get to me.

Hey, Aradae, could you elaborate on the foreshadowing thing? Preferably with examples?

Sour Apple

Postby Sour Apple » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:55 pm UTC

Quixotess wrote:Really? I thought Sun was number six?

Kate.
[Aaron]
Jack.
Hurley.
Sayid.
Sun.

If you count Aaron, yes, that's six, but I really think they're going to make a bigger production out of revealing the sixth person, like shielding their faces and all that, the way they just did with revealing Kevin/Michael last episode. Besides, Aaron was born on the island, so he wouldn't be part of the OCEANIC Six. Like, six people on the manifesto that survived.

Mat

Postby Mat » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:15 pm UTC

Aradae wrote:I really liked this episode and I really like this whole thing that they are doing with "The Oceanic Six" foreshadowing what events are going to happen in the coming seasons.

Spoiler:
Does Jin count as one of the oceanic six or could it be that he died on the island.

Spoiler:
No, its pretty strongly implied that he's either dead or still on the island (although I don't know why they would go visit his fake grave if he was still alive) ...unless they do something lame like heroes and have him get off the island only to die a week later.

Jin's flashforwardback was pretty awesome with the "give me panda" bit. :D

I didn't see the point of Hurley visiting Sun at the end except to show that the others are all jerks. I was hoping he'd drop the baby :P

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:47 pm UTC

Sour Apple wrote:
Quixotess wrote:Really? I thought Sun was number six?

Kate.
[Aaron]
Jack.
Hurley.
Sayid.
Sun.

If you count Aaron, yes, that's six, but I really think they're going to make a bigger production out of revealing the sixth person, like shielding their faces and all that, the way they just did with revealing Kevin/Michael last episode. Besides, Aaron was born on the island, so he wouldn't be part of the OCEANIC Six. Like, six people on the manifesto that survived.

Actually, Aaron technically WAS on the plane when it crashed. He was still a foetus, but still...

yellie

Postby yellie » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:11 am UTC

Quixotess wrote:Oh, and Michael? CALLED IT. Just sayin'.

Haha, everyone called it. It was even more obvious than Jack and Claire being related.

This week's episode has just reinforced my belief that the Lost writers hate happiness. Oh, and Aaron totally doesn't count as one of the Six because he wasn't on the manifesto. Neither does Jin, because his tombstone (apparently) says he died the day of the crash.

Also, I was very disappointed with the lack of Ben in this episode. ): And Juliet is a bitch.

pooteeweet

Postby pooteeweet » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:07 am UTC

What was with the spaced-out chick who jumped off the ship? Did I just imagine that she looked familiar?

I'm kind of pissed off about the Oceanic 6 thing, I don't want to know who dies ahead of time. And... yeah, I think the writers do hate happiness-- I mean, every time there's a happy, healthy couple one of them gets killed off, except for Rose and Bernard.
Fish cannot carry guns.

the_bandersnatch

Postby the_bandersnatch » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:12 pm UTC

yellie wrote:Neither does Jin, because his tombstone (apparently) says he died the day of the crash.

Yeah, this kind of confused me (but I guess it was meant to) - if his grave was a fake one, and he's still on the island the date on the tombstone would make sense, but Sun visiting it wouldn't. But then... if he really does die, she surely knows he's at least made it to December '04. Of course though, there's the time portal!

And I was really disappointed it did turn out to be Michael, I was hoping for someone a little less predictable :(

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:18 pm UTC

pooteeweet wrote:I'm kind of pissed off about the Oceanic 6 thing, I don't want to know who dies ahead of time.

I don't think it does tell you who dies. We already know two people who made it off the island but are not counted members of the Oceanic Six: Aaron and Ben. There could be people who stay on the island but are not dead; Locke would be their leader. And if Ben got off without anyone going "hey, who's this guy?" I see no reason why some of the Lostaways can't pull the same trick. Maybe there are main characters who are back in the real world but no one knows about them.

(I would certainly hate to hear that Claire is dead, because that means Aaron will grow up to become the Antichrist.)

SnoCrash

Postby SnoCrash » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:25 am UTC

pooteeweet wrote:What was with the spaced-out chick who jumped off the ship? Did I just imagine that she looked familiar?

She hasn't been seen until that ep, but she was in the movie "Death Proof" last year

Owehn

Postby Owehn » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:27 am UTC

Was she the one who'd been answering the phone calls from the island?
[This space intentionally left blank.]

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”