Star Trek DS9 Geek Question

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

chrispy1

Star Trek DS9 Geek Question

Postby chrispy1 » Mon May 21, 2007 10:54 am UTC

In the opening title of DS9, right after Armin Shimerman's name (guy who plays Quark), there appears to be three small lights on one of the landing pylons. I think they are three technicians or other type of maintenance crew working with welding torches or lasers or some such thing. Reasons for my arguement: They're flickering, and because there's no atmosphere in space, this must mean that they are turning on/off the source of the light. Also, the fact that there are no other lights like this elsewhere on any of the landing pylons indicates they are not used for directional or other landing purposes.
A friend of mine disagrees - he thinks that they are in fact lights to be used for some purpose that is not explained in the series. He also thinks I've spent too much time thinking about this. He says that the flickering could be caused by a release valve or something near the lights, and the heat causes the lights to flicker.
Anyone have a take on this? Would appreciate any hypotheses/ideas/conjectures/waaaaaaay out there ideas :lol:
Narsil wrote:For the record, I am not:
b)obsessed with penii, I just have bad luck and they follow me everywh...

SpitValve wrote:And as for Optimus being influenced by Buddhism, I severly doubt it.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Tue May 22, 2007 2:12 am UTC

They're spacetime anomalies, like everything else in Trek.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Irrational (?)

Postby 3.14159265... » Tue May 22, 2007 2:18 am UTC

They cause Sisko's delusions of the prophets, the whole DS9 is Sisko's delusion.
"The best times in life are the ones when you can genuinely add a "Bwa" to your "ha""- Chris Hastings

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Tue May 22, 2007 2:19 am UTC

Heh, I don't remember the opening scene exactly, but I can definitely recall thinking there were 3 people outside the station fixing it. I reckon you're right.

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Tue May 22, 2007 2:20 am UTC

everyone i've ever met that's been a huge fan of star trek has smelled like old urine, true story.

i'm sure none of you do, just thought i'd share.
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Re: Star Trek DS9 Geek Question

Postby Alisto » Tue May 22, 2007 3:19 am UTC

chrispy1 wrote:three technicians or other type of maintenance crew working with welding torches
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

NathanielK

Postby NathanielK » Tue May 22, 2007 5:41 am UTC

Here is a youtube video of the opening; at the 1:20 mark (before/during O'Brien's credit) you can see two people welding or something. I think you can actually see the suits clearly with a better quality video. I don't know what third light you're talking about, however.
This message composed of 100% post-consumer electrons.
My blag

chrispy1

Postby chrispy1 » Tue May 22, 2007 11:54 pm UTC

NathanielK wrote:Here is a youtube video of the opening; at the 1:20 mark (before/during O'Brien's credit) you can see two people welding or something. I think you can actually see the suits clearly with a better quality video. I don't know what third light you're talking about, however.

Yup, you're right - only two lights....and yes, I can see the suits. Guess the crappy TV I'm watching (or the bleary eyes I'm using at 5:00 a.m.) made me not see it clearly....Thanks for the clip.

SpitValve wrote:And as for Optimus being influenced by Buddhism, I severly doubt it.

athelas
A Sophisticated Plagiarism Engine

Postby athelas » Wed May 23, 2007 4:45 am UTC

No!

There! Are! Four! Lights!

(hey, someone had to say it)

Irrational (?)

Postby 3.14159265... » Wed May 23, 2007 5:42 am UTC

LMA, actually laughed for that one
"The best times in life are the ones when you can genuinely add a "Bwa" to your "ha""- Chris Hastings

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Wed May 23, 2007 6:24 am UTC

athelas wrote:(hey, someone had to say it)

I'm just ashamed it wasn't me ;-)

Berge

Postby Berge » Wed May 23, 2007 5:05 pm UTC

athelas wrote:No!

There! Are! Four! Lights!

(hey, someone had to say it)

Dammit, I was scrolling frantically hoping no one had said it yet.

And yeah, the flickering is guys doing EVA work, but the I had never realized that the torches should be steady in the lack of atmosphere.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Wed May 23, 2007 9:14 pm UTC

Something I've been curious on; What exactly do they use for the makeup on the star trek shows, like for the klingon ridges or, a better example, the ferengis' ears? Like, what do they make them things out of?
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

Irrational (?)

Postby 3.14159265... » Wed May 23, 2007 9:36 pm UTC

What do you mean make up.

The Klingon ridges evolved due to harsh enviroment and constant head bashing of Klignons.

The ferengi's ears are used in mate aquisition also an evolutionary advantage.

UmbrageOfSnow
Not Fully Human

Postby UmbrageOfSnow » Thu May 24, 2007 1:06 am UTC

Mother Superior wrote:Something I've been curious on; What exactly do they use for the makeup on the star trek shows, like for the klingon ridges or, a better example, the ferengis' ears? Like, what do they make them things out of?

At least on the Ferengi ears, they are rubber prosthetics. Basically a rubber cap goes over the whole top of the head, which has the ears on it. The difference between rubber and skin is of course covered up by makeup. I think the same method is used with Klingons and a lot of the other aliens.

Bit of trivia, on TNG all the Ferengi were modeled off the same basic mold, and just make-up was done slightly differently. On DS9, there were different molds for almost all of the key Ferengi, not just Quark. I have a DVD special feature about this somewhere but I can't find it.
yellie wrote:Confession: I just had to look up the word ubiquitous because I kept seeing it all over the place and had no idea what it meant.

chrispy1

Postby chrispy1 » Thu May 24, 2007 1:09 am UTC

If anyone here watches Heroes, check out the first episode with George Takei - you need to watch the scene really, really slow, but at one point you see the licence plate of his car - NCC 1701 :D

NO, I did not find this on my own. Really. A friend....ok, a guy I know told...emailed it to me. Really.

chrispy1

Postby chrispy1 » Thu May 24, 2007 1:15 am UTC

anybody know what the chemical structure of dilithium is?

Oops, never mind - found it on "the" site for all things Trek - http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/

2(5)6 dilithlum 2(:)l diallosilicate 1:9:1 heptoferranide

S'ok, now I ask (knowing nothing of Chemistry) - A) How possible is this? and B) What would it look like? Obviously crystalline, cuz that's what the site said :D But other than that, anyone got any ideas?

***edit - sorry - wrote this waaaaay too late last night - B) was supposed to be "What would the chemical structure look like" - I forget not everyone is plugged into my head. Well, actually no one is, but sometimes I wish.....
Last edited by chrispy1 on Thu May 24, 2007 12:00 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

athelas
A Sophisticated Plagiarism Engine

Postby athelas » Thu May 24, 2007 3:03 am UTC

According to the picture, it's pink and shiny.

NathanielK

Postby NathanielK » Thu May 24, 2007 4:04 am UTC

According to that picture, it's rose quartz.
This message composed of 100% post-consumer electrons.
My blag

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Thu May 24, 2007 2:55 pm UTC

UmbrageOfSnow wrote:
Mother Superior wrote:Something I've been curious on; What exactly do they use for the makeup on the star trek shows, like for the klingon ridges or, a better example, the ferengis' ears? Like, what do they make them things out of?

At least on the Ferengi ears, they are rubber prosthetics. Basically a rubber cap goes over the whole top of the head, which has the ears on it. The difference between rubber and skin is of course covered up by makeup. I think the same method is used with Klingons and a lot of the other aliens.

Bit of trivia, on TNG all the Ferengi were modeled off the same basic mold, and just make-up was done slightly differently. On DS9, there were different molds for almost all of the key Ferengi, not just Quark. I have a DVD special feature about this somewhere but I can't find it.

Thankyou very, very much Umbrage. 8)
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

liryon

Postby liryon » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:31 am UTC

Looking at the season for opening from the DVD's it is clear that there are 3 (possibly 2) lights and 3 objects shaped like bodies in space suites. The one on the upper left has clearly visible legs, which move indepnatly in a slight kicking motion. They are clearly making repairs. The lights could easily be from some kind of space faring welding tool, atmospheric welding tools flicker like that so why not space faring ones. Furthermore, they are present durring Cheif O'Brian's credit, that would make sense if they were engineers reparing the sation.

See the link for a short clip the video in question (no audio) sorry for the wmv, I've got limtted options at the moment.
http://ec.osu.edu/~liryon/ds9-lights.wmv

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”