Speculation about Shephard Book (Possible Firefly spoilers)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Eschatokyrios

Postby Eschatokyrios » Sun May 13, 2007 8:20 am UTC

'Retired operative' is the general consensus of the internet Firefly fan community, I believe. I was never a huge fan of the show myself, but I enjoyed it. Buffy, I think, was the best of Wheedon's shows. Angel could've been better, but wasn't. Rushed 5th season, I guess.

This is a bit tangental, but I once tried to connect the plot of Firefly to the plot of the anime Trigun. The settings are extremely similar. If you take the view that Trigun took place in the very first century after humanity arrived at the new solar system, while Firefly took place centuries later when huamnity had re-established their levels of technology, the chronologies mesh. There's only one detail that fucks it up, and that's that Firefly is well-established as taking place sometime in the 2500s, and there was one scene in Trigun when one of the people who was in the ship's database, who was born on Earth, had a birthdate in the 3000s. So that theory's out.
კაცი ბჭობდა, ღმერთი იცინოდაო
k'atsi bch'obda, ghmerti itsinodao
"Man was discussing, God was laughing"
-Georgian proverb

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Sun May 13, 2007 1:16 pm UTC

Eschatokyrios wrote:'Retired operative' is the general consensus of the internet Firefly fan community, I believe.

As it turns out, I don't care. :D

Simply accepting the "general consensus" removes all the fun of gnawing on the bone for oneself. And it's a great excuse to watch Firefly again.
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sun May 13, 2007 6:17 pm UTC

I was never a huge fan of the show myself, but I enjoyed it. Buffy, I think, was the best of Wheedon's shows. Angel could've been better, but wasn't. Rushed 5th season, I guess.

I enjoyed Whedon's shows in exactly the reverse order from you. I like Firefly the most, followed by Angel, followed by Buffy, which wasn't a *bad* show, but I just didn't like it as much.

Probably all the retarded teen drama.

And, y'know..Buffy....who I hated as a character. I mostly liked that show for the supporting cast.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun May 13, 2007 6:25 pm UTC

Tony Head made it worth watching.

Hammer

Postby Hammer » Sun May 13, 2007 6:34 pm UTC

Buffy
I loved Buffy's general premise. "What if the teenaged perception of the world is correct? Your Mom's new boyfriend is evil, school is hell and the world really will end if you don't go out tonight."

I. HATED. DAWN.

Liked Oz and Anya. And Spike, once he settled in.

Angel
Generally liked the show when it had a sense of humor about itself. Liked it a lot better when they added Spike and Harmony. Liked it a whole lot better without the New Super Wise and Sensitive Cordelia. I loved the running joke about Angel being gay.

Phob0s

Postby Phob0s » Sun May 13, 2007 8:50 pm UTC

As to Buffy, one of my friends was asking the other day why it is that she's the only vampire hunter in the world... but she never leaves her town to hunt vampires. Shouldn't there be more, like in Supernatural?
Also, I've never watched more than 3 episodes of Buffy, and that was years and years ago.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun May 13, 2007 10:06 pm UTC

She's not the only vampire hunter; she's just the only Slayer.

Melissa63l

Postby Melissa63l » Sun May 13, 2007 11:10 pm UTC

Buffy stayed in Sunnydale because it's the hellmouth. The largest (and baddest) concentration of evil in the world.

Other cities have demons and vampires...and people who fight them...but you need the hellmouth to bring about the apocalypse.

Besides...how far could she get on a school-night? :P

Melissa
Sometimes it's love, sometimes it's lust... sometimes it's Tuesday.

Aaahhh... a month of Tuesdays.

Belial

Postby Belial » Sun May 13, 2007 11:29 pm UTC

She's not the only vampire hunter; she's just the only Slayer.

It's true. There were plenty of people hunting vampires. Gunn and his crew, for example.

They/them

Hammer

Postby Hammer » Sun May 13, 2007 11:38 pm UTC

Of course, the longer it went on, the more it became that vampires were the weaklings of demonkind. The other demons didn't think very highly of them.

Belial

Postby Belial » Sun May 13, 2007 11:39 pm UTC

Also true. But what they lacked in quality, they made up in quantity.

They/them

Hammer

Postby Hammer » Sun May 13, 2007 11:41 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Also true. But what they lacked in quality, they made up in quantity.

They did indeed. Plus "the martial arts skills they invariably seem to pick up".

Belial

Postby Belial » Sun May 13, 2007 11:43 pm UTC

Acquired, of course, in direct proportion to the number of episodes they're slated to be in.

Except in Harmony's case, but what can you do.

They/them

Hammer

Postby Hammer » Sun May 13, 2007 11:45 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Except in Harmony's case, but what can you do.

I love Harmony in Angel. Really fun addition for that series. And she actually kicks some ass in the episode where that other girl is trying to get her job.

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Mon May 14, 2007 5:57 am UTC

Hammer wrote:I love Firefly. I love the premise. I love the theme song.

While I'm totally on board with those first two statements, I just can't agree with the third. I. Hate. The. Theme Song. Only aspect of the entire series I dislike (barring Wash's demise :cry:).

I know I'm a total newbie here, so forgive me while I stand back in awe of how there are other people like me. My friends and I hold Shindigs where everyone bring food and we watch firefly for a couple hours. However, explaining our Shindigs and the show itself to others is... fun. ("You see, they're this crew of fugitives in space, and they salvage remains of ships and deal with these things called Reapers and it's also sort of a Western at times. Stop making that face, it's really cool!")

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Mon May 14, 2007 6:56 am UTC

Somnia wrote:My friends and I hold Shindigs where everyone bring food and we watch firefly for a couple hours. However, explaining our Shindigs and the show itself to others is... fun. ("You see, they're this crew of fugitives in space, and they salvage remains of ships and deal with these things called Reapers and it's also sort of a Western at times. Stop making that face, it's really cool!")

I know the feeling.

"It's like cowboys in space... but not lame"

Hammer

Postby Hammer » Tue May 15, 2007 10:32 pm UTC

Belial wrote:All very good, but the idea that he's there to do a job....doesn't fit, what with how he *left* Serenity just because Mal said some unkind things to him (in the interlude comic). If he were there to do a job, he would've stayed. I always assumed he *was* actually a shepherd, but as a religious retreat after leaving some *other* life behind him.

OK, just finished the comic and I see what you mean now. Thanks for telling me about it, BTW.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”