True Blood

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Phrozt

Re: True Blood

Postby Phrozt » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:08 pm UTC

JBJ wrote:
Phrozt wrote:
the_bandersnatch wrote:What didn't you like about it specifically? I found it quite entertaining.

Spoiler:
Sookie's "powers" were hardly showcased, so it gave no more clues as to what she is. Ohh.. she pushed over an offering and cracked an egg.. .big effing deal. They even told her to do something, and if what she did was what they were expecting her to do... it was pretty lackluster to say the least.

What I was saying about the end was the engagement. I saw that coming a mile away. It still seems way too soon though, as if the director needs them to be engaged for the story, so he pushed it early. It seemed forced.

And I'm sorry, but that queen is a hooooorible actress, and I think it takes away from the show. You throw someone like Eric or Bill in scenes w/her, and their characters seem to lose solidity just by having to interact w/her.

Spoiler:
Her power was to listen telepathically to Sam. He and Bill came up with the plan but had to get Sookie in on it to create the distraction, and she can't read Vampire minds. The distraction made Maryanne chase after Sookie so Bill could have time to heal Sam, and Sam could change into the bull that killed her. From the previous episode they exposed that she was only vulnerable if she was convinced her god came to her. Hopefully I don't ruin it for you, but unless they depart significantly from the books telepathy is her only power.

Spoiler:
Oooo, that makes sense now. I thought he wanted her to do something w/the blue light that came from her hand when she touched Maryanne for the first time. The reason I thought it was lackluster was because there was a bit of that blue light when she shoved the offering over... and I was like... that's it??

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:15 pm UTC

The finale was fairly terrible. The pacing was ALL wrong and the whole second half of the episode just kinda dragged.

Spoiler:
- As mentioned the fact Maryann got taken out extremely early in the episode was odd. And why they didn't immediately cut Sam's heart out instead of just stabbing him once. The whole resolution seemed pretty poor also. The whole "she's invicible until she believes she isn't" made sense...until Sam returned to human form at which point wouldn't she become immortal again?
- The scene where Eggs dies was terrible. Who goes to confess to a cop, with a murder weapon but then start assaulting the cop instead? He fucking deserved to die. I do kinda like the way Andy was willing to take blame so that he'd look like the 'hero' who saved the town from the murderer though.
- I can already see the Tara/Jason thing starting to work out and then the revelation that HE killed Eggs breaking things apart. Frankly I could care less about Tara and I'm sure next season won't be any different.

Really though its going to become like Heroes for me, when despite it being terrible I'm going to come back and keep watching. Hopefully next season they can get their pacing (both per episode and during the season) right. The middle of this season was pretty slow too.

Phrozt

Postby Phrozt » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:03 pm UTC

Spoiler:
As I mentioned earlier, I thought Tara's char really crapped out this season, so I have the same opinion on her as you do... who cares? She was such a strong and powerful char in the first season, and just seems like a plot line that went awry this season.

I can see her not becoming immortal after Sam became human again.. she was already dead at that point. What I thought was rather retarded was how the horn of the bull, which was probably about 5% of the mass of the actual beast became Sam's entire arm..... I understand the symbolism of it all, but the translation of that into the scene was craptastic at best.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:42 pm UTC

Regarding Bill's abduction, in response to Midnight:

Spoiler:
1- See the silver chain used to choke Bill? They used a similar method to subdue him in the first season. See how it burnt Bill once it touch him? There was no burning on the hand grabbing the chain. Again, I don't think this is debatable; you would have to take it up with Alan Ball.

2- Eric does not need a silver chain to subdue Bill.

3- Hoyt's mother has plenty of motive to target Bill as well. He's the maker of the one creature who is about to take her Hoyt away from her.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Phrozt

Postby Phrozt » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:21 pm UTC

Lucrece wrote:Regarding Bill's abduction, in response to Midnight:

Spoiler:
1- See the silver chain used to choke Bill? They used a similar method to subdue him in the first season. See how it burnt Bill once it touch him? There was no burning on the hand grabbing the chain. Again, I don't think this is debatable; you would have to take it up with Alan Ball.

2- Eric does not need a silver chain to subdue Bill.

3- Hoyt's mother has plenty of motive to target Bill as well. He's the maker of the one creature who is about to take her Hoyt away from her.

Spoiler:
I could be remembering things incorrectly, but I thought the hand that held the silver chain had gloves on...

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:37 pm UTC

My guess:

Spoiler:
Lorena (his maker) kidnapped Bill

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:55 pm UTC

Silver burns go through clothes. It happens in previous episodes, so I highly doubt wearing gloves would provide protection. Either way, neither Lorena nor Eric need to ambush/use silver chains to subdue Bill. Lorena easily kicks Bill's ass, as could Eric.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:33 pm UTC

Which episodes had silver burns going through clothes? I don't recall that.

Regardless though, it does seem unlikely that it was another vampire. Most likely a human with some sort of beef against Bill. Using silver just doesn't seem like something another vampire would do.

Phrozt

Postby Phrozt » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:36 pm UTC

Yeah.. I don't remember silver going through clothes either.

Lerena makes a LOT of sense though, especially given the context of that scene.

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:36 pm UTC

I thought it was obviously supposed to be Eric. He did say he'd take care of Bill personally, adn then the silver was just to make it easier. I don't see how it would make sense for a human to sneak up on a vampire. Although, it would be too easy for the show to make it Eric, for some reason it likes to make unnessescary plot twists.
Take me back to the day that I went blind, I would like to see your face for one last time.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:02 pm UTC

On a more casual note, does anybody else think that the show's underuse of Pam (Eric's subordinate) is criminal?

I love that woman, especially during the scene with the children.

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:19 pm UTC

I like Pam a lot too, but I kinda like her smaller role, at least it doesn't make her overplayed. Oh, and I think Hoyt's my favorite character now.
Take me back to the day that I went blind, I would like to see your face for one last time.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:38 am UTC

I dunno dude the big clue for me is that Eric specifically said that he, personally, would take out Bill. Which seems about as subtle as a battleaxe. I don't think the audience is supposed to go "um, maybe it's X, or maybe Y". It's gonna be Eric.
uhhhh fuck.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:38 am UTC

Why do people refuse to read the post-finale interview with Alan Ball, where he reveals who kidnapped Bill?

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:44 am UTC

because spoilers suck.

Speculating is fun.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:22 pm UTC

Cause I come from a LOST-watching family. I don't trust a word out of the mouths of TV-officials.

Spoiler:
Plus Hoyt's mother wouldn't be crafty enough to go after Bill... she'd just go after whatever-her-name, Hoyt's girlfriend. Why tread on a pre-civil war vampire when you can go after a few-month old one?
And though Eric and Lerana don't need silver to overcome Bill, it makes for a much quieter scene. Otherwise there'd be yelling and roaring and such that would draw Sookie's attention, which would mean she'd run out of the bathroom, and we'd see who it was.
uhhhh fuck.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:17 am UTC

Spoiler:
Werewolves? Seriously? What's this, Twilight?

Robstickle

Postby Robstickle » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:17 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
It gets worse.

A couple of seasons from now there'll be
Spoiler:
fairies.

SheriffPony

Postby SheriffPony » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:12 am UTC

Cool!
Spoiler:
Nazi-werewolves! Nazi-vampires!
Last edited by SheriffPony on Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:24 am UTC

Spoiler:
I loved it when Sookie did her Vampire Bill impression. Sookeh!
Exit the vampires' castle.

SheriffPony

Postby SheriffPony » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:02 am UTC

Also:
Spoiler:
I ain't that blond.

Argency

Postby Argency » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:23 am UTC

You old hands and your spoilers, I've only just finished the first season.

[wanky review]
I thought it was incredibly bad: trashy and pulpy, almost completely plot driven, stoppy and starty, full of holes, predictable and relied on cheap hooks like sex, drugs and gore. But I actually liked it a lot because it was conscious of all those flaws, and intentionally played on them. I mean, seriously, I was shocked at how much I appreciated it. It was really well executed.

Like when they'd intentionally cut straight from a ridiculous gore scene to a steamy, kinky sex scene. And there'd be whole strings of scenes that were nothing but love scenes between all the different pairings of characters. They'd intentionally ham up certain scenes to draw attention to how silly and funny it all was, but do it well so that it didn't break the mood. And occasionally a character would parodise their own archetype for a second. So much better than Twilight even though they're so imcredibly similar, because they dropped all the cutesy, moral (read - Christian) crap and just gave people what they wanted, including a heroine with balls. Plus it was well shot.

[/wanky review]
Gonna be a blank slate, gonna wear a white cape.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:49 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Eh, I expected that from the beginning. If there's vampires, physics, shapeshifters, and maanads (sp?), why wouldn't there be werewolves? In fact, don't they mention werewolves at least once in the first season? I'm pretty sure Sam does.
Also, cmon, werewolves vs vampires has been around a lot longer then Twilight.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:24 pm UTC

@Argency: I actually like the campy "vampsploitation" undercurrent in the series.

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:09 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Eric kept going on about how werewolves are dangerous. But honestly they didn't look so bad to me. Bill kicked the shit out of a solid group of them. And Eric didn't have any trouble overpowering that one guy. Hell the bouncing with a bat took down one of the bigger werewolves who had just said something like "I have more than enough vamp blood in me". Also where are the half man/half wolf type of werewolves? Big dogs aren't nearly as scary (and tend to be less effective than a human with a gun at killing things).

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:16 pm UTC

Alan Ball stated he wasn't going with the species hybrids. Werewolves in this universe are just like Sam, shapeshifters, but they're limited to one form yet take some physical aspects from it. There are were-panthers in the books as well.

The series is just starting so it's reasonable that pre-established vampire figures high on the ladder would have no issue dealing with errand boys. Also, the werewolves work for the vampire king of Mississippi. He's the Big Evil this season, he's 3000 years old (considerably older than Godric), and was a Celt of druidic background that will influence the philosophy he will display in the series.

On another note, I am displeased with what they're doing with Lorena. The actress commented in an interview that her character becomes this season an analogue to Kenny from South Park. She's considerably older than Bill, so she's stronger, faster, and allegedly smarter, and yet she can't dodge a projectile from him? Also, that scene in the end of episode 2 between her and Bill was just nauseating. I can understand the twisted humor appeal, but the character is being turned into a punchline.

With that said, Frankly is so sexy in his freaky, lanky stalker way. The scene with Jessica bares her fangs to scare him off, thinking he's human, and he bares his back with a "so what, I got some too, nyah! ;p" demeanor was hilarious, as was the puppet head show.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:04 pm UTC

Dude, put in spoiler tags!

Lucrece wrote:
Spoiler:
Also, the werewolves work for the vampire king of Mississippi. He's the Big Evil this season, he's 3000 years old (considerably older than Godric)

Spoiler:
That's a rather big inconsistency then, because it's said several times that Godric is the most powerful vampire in North-America

Lucrece wrote:
Spoiler:
She's considerably older than Bill, so she's stronger, faster, and allegedly smarter, and yet she can't dodge a projectile from him?

Spoiler:
I think that was just a fantasy of Bill, right, and didn't actually happen?
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:30 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
No, because in the most recent episode we saw Lorena healing, and the king and his companion were talking about what to do with the burnt rug.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:07 pm UTC

Godric was the most powerful vampire, ACCORDING TO ERIC. Seeing as how Godric is Eric's maker and long-time lover, it's not hard to see bias in his claim leading to suspicions of possible hyperbole.

But, yeah, Entertainment Weekly has a bunch of interviews with Alan Ball and the actors with juicy details about characters and what not.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:33 pm UTC

Lazar wrote:
Diadem wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
No, because in the most recent episode we saw Lorena healing, and the king and his companion were talking about what to do with the burnt rug.

Spoiler:
Strange, because I remember watching that scene twice because I wasn't sure how it was intended. But he's sitting quietly again immidiately after and the others don't react to it, so I assumed it was a fantasy.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:27 am UTC

Spoiler:
Watched the third episode now. Damn it was bad. Bill suddenly became a total loser, and all the other characters don't behave very sympathatic either. Sookie is a positive exception, but not enough to safe the episode

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:32 am UTC

Diadem wrote:
Spoiler:
Strange, because I remember watching that scene twice because I wasn't sure how it was intended. But he's sitting quietly again immidiately after and the others don't react to it, so I assumed it was a fantasy.

Spoiler:
Well, they probably all knew it couldn't hurt Lorena badly at all

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:52 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:
Spoiler:
Watched the third episode now. Damn it was bad. Bill suddenly became a total loser, and all the other characters don't behave very sympathatic either. Sookie is a positive exception, but not enough to safe the episode

huh-buh-WHA. Bill's a badass now. He's got a plan, I'm sure.

Eric has also gotten even more amusing this season, which maeks meh happeh.
uhhhh fuck.

Veora

Postby Veora » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:51 pm UTC

i watched the whole of season 1 last night, and i love it. ;3
<Witty and funny signature here>

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:44 pm UTC

Surprised to see there's very little comment on the last few episodes, I think they've been the best so far this season. Also good to see the mid-season wrap-up of certain plot lines and the initiation of the new ones for the second half of the season.

And what was the deal with that scene in the fairy garden? Weird.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:11 pm UTC

the_bandersnatch wrote:And what was the deal with that scene in the fairy garden? Weird.

Sookie is an angel or fairy or whatever. The flashes of light and the blood-type thing proved she's not human. Do you think Bill specifically is the darkness? Or just vampires in general.

Crystal (or at least her boyfriend) is a werewolf, agreed? And I'm starting to like Jason more and more. It started when he came back to Bon Temps after Mary Anne took over, but now he's just pretty epic. Except for the whole Eggs-thing.

Does Eric have a plan to take on a 3000 year old vampire with werewolf backup? Well, knowing Eric, he does :P

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 am UTC

They're not werewolves; she's from a were-panther pack. And if they decide to follow the books, Jason is gonna get bit and so forth.

Eric doesn't plan to use the werewolves. He's counting on Russel's loony outbursts to start a war with the Authority so he gets back up from them. Certainly, Russel isn't the oldest vampire of all, just of the ones we've seen.

Also, an interview before the season was released had Alan Ball stating that from now on they'd take an approach to the big bad guy where it allows them to come back in future seasons, as opposed to completely killing them off ala Mary Anne. So we can assume Ruseel will just take a time-out at the end of the season.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:36 am UTC

Can we have fewer future-plot spoilers please? Some of us haven't read the books.

stillfocus

Postby stillfocus » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:41 am UTC

The pacing on this past episode was perfect. It looks like the plot is finally being done set up and we're going to see a lot more action. That makes sense for a mid-season point, though. I'm also glad they're not taking themselves too seriously. The interaction between Jessica and Bill was priceless. You know the moment if you saw the episode.
Spoiler:
I really have no idea how Eric intends to fight the king. Outside of some big guns from the Authority there's not much the current cast can do. Maybe Sookie can let Eric or Bill get some blood and kill the King while he's asleep.

It looks like Lorena's not coming back, though we may get some flashbacks later on in the season. The mention of their maker is definitely a Chekhov's gun. Same with Godric and Eric.

I really hope Franklin's still alive, his psychotic nature is absolutely hilarious. "You killed a group of nuns!" "They wouldn't let me have a turn!"

And to sum it all up, Alcide's the man! I hope he comes back and stays a character. He's the most realistic and levelheaded person we've met, except maybe Sam.

Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Woopate » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:07 am UTC

I liked Eric's line "Let me show you how deep my loyalty goes" as a masked threat. Thought that was quite clever.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”