"Grindhouse": 10 out of 10. Made out of win.

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:23 am UTC

Saw it again last night, myself.

It has been decided that me, and my friends, *all* aspire to one day ride side-saddle in the window of a car while wielding a lead pipe.

Probably not at the same time.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:37 am UTC

Yeah, that's only a matter of time for me too, I think. The Ships Mast thing, I dunno. Maybe.

The second time, Death Proof was definitely better. Planet Terror was not the same if you know what's coming, it's still awesome, but not quite as ridiculous. I was trying to catch more of Tarantino's commentary, I picked up on a few things I didn't catch the first time.

Rose McGowan's body makes me cry at night.

Why is Stuntman Mike such a pussy in the end?
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:38 am UTC

i want to see it SO BAD!
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:39 am UTC

Classic "contemptible villain", or a version thereof. Can dish it out, but can't take it. Tarantino seems to like to alternate between contemptible villains and admirable villains.

Bud and Bill from Kill Bill were both admirable, or at least sympathetic. You were meant to kindof *like* them.

They/them

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:56 am UTC

So, why are there no females in this thread? Whyyy? *feels overrun by all the e-testosterone in here*

Anyways. I saw 'Grindhouse' last night with a few friends.

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

Best $8.50 I've spent in god knows how long. Except maybe '300' (the first time). >.> I almost cried for laughing so hard.

'Planet Terror' was, imo, the worse of the two. But it's hard to compare them and say "THIS ONE SUCKS COMPARED TO THIS ONE" because neither sucked. Pure, unadulterated AWESOME. The portrayal of the zombies in 'Planet Terror' was amazing. I loved when Tarantino went to- Sorry. I don't want to ruin the movie for anybody. But I laughed ridiculously hard.

The trailers were pure sex. I would go see any of those movies in a heartbeat. Except maybe 'Thanksgiving' just because the cheerleader chick, trampoline, knife, vagina, *wince in pain*. Yeah. 'Don't' was easily my favourite trailer, though. "If you're thinking of going to see this movie alone... DON'T!" XD

I'd have to say, though, that while 'Death Proof' may have started out slow, it kept a fast pace after the beginning. Zoe Bell was freaking amazing. Ship's Mast looked terribly fun, except for the maybe dying because of a psycho part. I would probably do it, so long as there were no crazies trying to kill me. XD Honestly, though, I kept waiting for her to fall off and them to run over her. >.> That'd be pretty gross. Anyway, the ending was fucking hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing. Maybe that's not a good thing, though. :(

This was definitely a four star movie. Go see it, if you haven't already.

AnonyMouse
Boobs, LOL!

Postby AnonyMouse » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:18 am UTC

thefiddler wrote:So, why are there no females in this thread? Whyyy? *feels overrun by all the e-testosterone in here*

Hey now! I am here, and I loved Grindhouse! loved loved loved. I would go see it again RIGHT NOW. except that I feel silly going to see a movie again without bringing anyone new. I feel like I have to have an excuse.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:28 am UTC

OK, but only you and, I think one other girl posted in this thread... at the very beginning. Since then, it's been all males. I wanted to point out the obvious lack of estrogen. :P

I want to see it again, too. :( Maybe I can convince Howard to go see it with me sometime... 'cause he wanted to see it... XD

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:43 am UTC

I saw it with two females. They also loved it.

Just saying.

Though, Katie's boyfriend and I were actually, literally weeping with awesome at the end, which I can't say for Girl and Katie

They/them

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:41 pm UTC

I saw it with a different female each time, and they both thought it was good. They probably liked Death Proof better though, what with all the strong female role models and all.

Rose McGowan is a pretty damn good female role model too, though. She came through the adversity of getting her leg ripped off, and replaced it with a gatling gun (at the end).

I imagine Zoe Bell is pretty popular among the female moviegoers.

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:44 pm UTC

Dude, Zoe Bell is pretty popular among *me*.

But then, the entire car full of chicks at the end of deathproof is on my permanent "win" list.

I also found their banter to be a lot more amusing than the first group.

Rose McGowan always makes me think of "Charmed", and "Charmed" makes me cry inside. So that kindof ruined her for me.

They/them

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:26 pm UTC

I have documented my approval of Zoe Bell already in this thread.

I think the second group was way better too. The first group seemed kinda dumb. Of course, all they really did was get drunk and high and talk about sex. Tough to get attached to the characters. I did like Butterfly, just cause she wasn't a chickenshit. Jungle Julia seemed pretty full of herself, and Shana seemed kinda bitchy.

I also like Pam, Rose McGowan's character, I think just for this line:

"She may have beaten me up a few times, I'm built like a girl, not a black man. But I'd die before I'd give Julia my chocolate milk."

(Quote mangled for less effect, and I can't remember Julia's last name)

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:41 pm UTC

I also enjoyed the little references that each movie made to the other, that I didn't catch as heavily the first time through.

Like the entire hospital and cops in deathproof being the same ones from Planet Terror, and the car radio in Planet Terror saying "This in loving memory of our own Jungle Julia..."

They/them

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:58 pm UTC

Yeah, that was cool. I also liked how the sheriff in the Thanksgiving trailer was Michael Biehn too. The babysitter twins were in both movies.

When I first saw that Sydney Poitier was starring, I thought it was a joke. Turns out that it's the actress who played Jungle Julia.

Also I think the sheriff in Death Proof (the old guy, with Son #1) is the same sheriff from Kill Bill!
*googles*
Yep: seems like a pretty cool dude.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0662981/bio

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:02 pm UTC

Which just lends credence to my theory that all of Tarantino's movies are interconnected.

After Samuel L Jackson's character saw the light in Pulp Fiction, he moved to Texas to play piano.
Last edited by Belial on Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

They/them

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:33 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Which just lends credence to my theory that all of Tarantino's movies are interconnected.

So it's not just a bunch of movies, it's a series of snapshots from the 'Tarantino Universe'

It will all finish with a battle royale (with cheese) in the middle of New York.
9 x 6 = 42

Note: Randall kicks ass.

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:36 pm UTC

The Bride vs Butch Coolidge? Bring it on.

As a separate note, reason I love being a mod, #1368: Not only can I edit my typos in my *own* posts, like a normal user, but I can edit them in the posts of everyone that quoted me, so that there is no evidence.

Except of course that I just said this.

They/them

AnonyMouse
Boobs, LOL!

Postby AnonyMouse » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:26 pm UTC

but you can edit it later and no one will be the wiser!

Miike

Postby Miike » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:40 pm UTC

*also saw it Saturday for the second time*

I took my mother to see it and she LOVED it. And then we bought Vanishing Point which was awesome. And a poster of Rose McGowan with machine gun leg which is also awesome. And I still can't stop giggling whenever I think of the way Death Proof ended.

Also, I hate break it to you, but the Bride versus Butch wouldn't be much of a contest!

Oort

Postby Oort » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:37 am UTC

I saw it about an hour ago. That was the most fun movie I've seen in a long time. Terror Planet was my favorite, but that's mostly because I'm a zombie kind of guy. Also, I love Machete.

I have a question for you: you remember that song Jungal Julia put on the radio that they were listening to? What was the name of the band?

OmenPigeon
Peddler of Gossamer Lies

Postby OmenPigeon » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:12 am UTC

Miike wrote:Also, I hate break it to you, but the Bride versus Butch wouldn't be much of a contest!

I disagree completely.

While it is true that the Bride killed a lot more people than Butch did, they're both basically invincible. Not in a literal sense, but in the sense that they're both corrupted fighters who need redemption. And while the camera's on them and they're searching for redemption (Butch by protecting his girlfriend and saving the gangster, the Bride by finding her daughter and killing Bill) they can't die. It wouldn't be cosmically right.

Other storytellers have subverted that idea, and it's been very successful. Tarantino, though, never would. And can't. That sort of mythos is essential to his movies. Butch v. The Bride would end up tearing New York apart. Skyscrapers are more fragile than those two.

Of course, My preference would be Jules instead of Butch. The same ideas apply to both of them.
As long as I am alive and well I will continue to feel strongly about prose style, to love the surface of the earth, and to take pleasure in scraps of useless information.
~ George Orwell

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:21 am UTC

Why pick just 2? Go for a giant last-man-standing contest!
9 x 6 = 42

Note: Randall kicks ass.

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:54 pm UTC

DetectiveDaughter

Postby DetectiveDaughter » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:58 am UTC

I finally dragged myself out of the house to see this yesterday, and it was probably the best time I've ever had going out to see a movie. Planet Terror was really fun, but words cannot express my love for Death Proof. I can't remember the last time I was so satisfied by the way a movie ended. I wish more people would get out and see this, it's definitely worth it.

Also, I sort of wish Thanksgiving was a real movie. I'd pay money for that.

Jemsy

Postby Jemsy » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:30 pm UTC

I've seen this movie three times now. Hey, the theater in town costs $3 for college students!

Anyway, yeah, I'll probably see it some more. This movie owns so hard.

Unfortunately, the people in the other forum I post in think they're too good to see this movie and won't get off their high horses, going on about how, "You couldn't PAY me to watch this crap, let alone over three hours of it!" and then they go on about how they loved TMNT and I want to bop them on the head.
Nichi nichi kore kōnichi.

vrek
pigasm!

Postby vrek » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:06 pm UTC

I just saw this last night. It was incredibly amazing. I was acturally amazed about some of the gender role reversals in deathproff. Some of the comentary in it was really funny but the black girl was a little over the top for me. I definitly think it will be a cult classic in a few years, much in the same way as Donny Darko and Pulp Fiction and Requirm for a dream and Office Space. All of those movies did really bad in the theaters(as GrindHouse is) but years later people are still quoting them and many people have seen them 10+ times easy.

Belial

Postby Belial » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:18 pm UTC

Unfortunately, the people in the other forum I post in think they're too good to see this movie and won't get off their high horses, going on about how, "You couldn't PAY me to watch this crap, let alone over three hours of it!" and then they go on about how they loved TMNT and I want to bop them on the head.

Pfft. And *that* is how you identify people with no sense of fun.

They/them

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:08 pm UTC

DetectiveDaughter wrote:I finally dragged myself out of the house to see this yesterday, and it was probably the best time I've ever had going out to see a movie. Planet Terror was really fun, but words cannot express my love for Death Proof. I can't remember the last time I was so satisfied by the way a movie ended. I wish more people would get out and see this, it's definitely worth it.

Also, I sort of wish Thanksgiving was a real movie. I'd pay money for that.
I would pay $20 to go see "Machete". end.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Belial

Postby Belial » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:09 pm UTC

lucky for you, you'll only need to pay video rental fees.

They/them

Jemsy

Postby Jemsy » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:17 am UTC

Belial wrote:

Pfft. And *that* is how you identify people with no sense of fun.

That is also why I am now here. You guys are infinitely cooler.
Nichi nichi kore kōnichi.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:24 am UTC

space_raptor wrote:Why is Stuntman Mike such a pussy in the end?

Oh that was my favorite part. He's so incredibly pitiful, you almost, ALMOST feel bad for him, but not enough to keep me from laughing like a jackass when he got shot and poured whiskey on the wound.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Miike

Postby Miike » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:34 am UTC

OmenPigeon wrote:While it is true that the Bride killed a lot more people than Butch did, they're both basically invincible. Not in a literal sense, but in the sense that they're both corrupted fighters who need redemption. And while the camera's on them and they're searching for redemption (Butch by protecting his girlfriend and saving the gangster, the Bride by finding her daughter and killing Bill) they can't die. It wouldn't be cosmically right.

Other storytellers have subverted that idea, and it's been very successful. Tarantino, though, never would. And can't. That sort of mythos is essential to his movies. Butch v. The Bride would end up tearing New York apart. Skyscrapers are more fragile than those two.

Of course, My preference would be Jules instead of Butch. The same ideas apply to both of them.

Weeeell. I suppose we do have to play by movie rules, so you have a point. In a Tarantino movie, they'd probably end up tearing someplace apart, then turning on someone else together!

Belial

Postby Belial » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:11 am UTC

Actually, at this point, they've both had their redemption, so they fall into the "old hero whose tale has already been told" category, and are therefore more likely to die than anyone, AS LONG AS the situation is appropriately dramatic.

They/them

Skyl3lazer

Postby Skyl3lazer » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:30 am UTC

This(These) film(s) is(are) AMAZING. Seriously, go see them. It's the best film i've seen in at least 3 years...and I see a lot of movies.

NightStar
"Hold very still, Mr President....."

Postby NightStar » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:57 am UTC

All right, SOMEONE had to come into this thread with something other than positive comments, and I guess it'll have to be me. *puts on flameproof suit*

I'm familiar with Tarantino movies, and with the concept of suspension of disbelief, but HOLY CRAP was I the only one wondering how Cherry fired the leg-gun?!?! Tarantino himself had a speech in the same movie describing exactly how a gun works ("you pull this little trigger right here...")It apparently goes off only when pointed at bad guys, and also manages to reload the grenade launcher by itself.

Also, when maniacal stuntmen are alongside your car trying to run you off the road, just HIT THE BRAKES. Sure, not if your friend is on the hood, but after she gets off. And if you get shot in the arm, you should be worried about bleeding out, not disinfecting it with whiskey; that was a lame excuse to have Kurt Russell scream some more. And as the prophet of Bruce Schneier, Kurt Russell should never have to scream like a wuss.

EDIT: Holy crap I have stumbled upon an ancient xkcd phenomenon.
Hawknc wrote:Madness?
THIS IS COLLEGE!
*Kicks a beer keg over a balcony*

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:02 am UTC

I'm familiar with Tarantino movies, and with the concept of suspension of disbelief, but HOLY CRAP was I the only one wondering how Cherry fired the leg-gun?!?! Tarantino himself had a speech in the same movie describing exactly how a gun works ("you pull this little trigger right here...")It apparently goes off only when pointed at bad guys, and also manages to reload the grenade launcher by itself.

That was a rodriguez movie. And it was meant to be ridiculous.

That said, the gun was heavily modified, had no trigger, and the place where the trigger should be was shoved up *inside* her stump. So it might have been some sort of squeezing action. Or not. Because it doesn't have to make sense.

Also, when maniacal stuntmen are alongside your car trying to run you off the road, just HIT THE BRAKES. Sure, not if your friend is on the hood, but after she gets off.

Once she was off, they were more concerned with *catching* him, not escaping him.

And if you get shot in the arm, you should be worried about bleeding out, not disinfecting it with whiskey;

A *character's* failure to be smart does not necessarily equal a poor decision on the part of the film.

that was a lame excuse to have Kurt Russell scream some more. And as the prophet of Saladin's Mom, Kurt Russell should never have to scream like a wuss.

Except that it was kindof the point of the character.

EDIT: Holy crap I have stumbled upon an ancient xkcd phenomenon.

Not terribly ancient. But definitely excellent.

They/them

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:24 pm UTC

NightStar wrote:I'm familiar with Tarantino movies, and with the concept of suspension of disbelief, but HOLY CRAP was I the only one wondering how Cherry fired the leg-gun?!?! Tarantino himself had a speech in the same movie describing exactly how a gun works ("you pull this little trigger right here...")It apparently goes off only when pointed at bad guys, and also manages to reload the grenade launcher by itself.

How DARE you question Roberto Rodriguez? The gun was clearly hardwired into Cherry's nervous system using a complicated neuro-thingy that the hot deputy put together using her portable soldering iron, because not only is she ridiculously hot, she's a great shot, and she has a combined degree in control systems and neurology.

I admit, I did ask that question too, but when Cherry launched herself through the air by firing the grenade launcher directly into the ground, I kinda stopped worrying about it. The correct answer to your question is "It doesn't matter."

miakoda

Postby miakoda » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:10 pm UTC

Okay, see, most of my friends are guys. And they've already seen the damn movie. Without me. ARGH. After reading your comments, though, I'm sure I can talk at least one of them into seeing it again. Must work on that.

I also want to see Hot Fuzz... Shaun of the Dead was, IMO, the best zombie movie EVAH. Too funny. (Well, okay. Best movie aside from the zombie baby in the latest remake of Dawn of the Dead.)

It amuses me that the chick with the leg-gun is named Cherry. Not that Rodriguez and Tarantino would ever watch such a movie. LOL

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:12 pm UTC

I also want to see Hot Fuzz... Shaun of the Dead was, IMO, the best zombie movie EVAH. Too funny. (Well, okay. Best movie aside from the zombie baby in the latest remake of Dawn of the Dead.)

Hot fuzz was brilliant.

Absolutely fucking brilliant.

They/them

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:57 pm UTC

I'm so sad. The closest showing of 'Hot Fuzz' is an hour and a half away. :cry: I waited and waited for it to release and... dammit... LIMITED RELEASE in the US. So pissed. :(

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”