300 and Heroes

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

offput

300 and Heroes

Postby offput » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:58 am UTC

Here's the deal. I watch Heroes and I really like it. I watched 300 and it was alright. But...

Is it just me or are they overrated in the biosphere we call the internet? I'm not trying to start a fight but these two things in particular seem to be infallible in the eyes of the online communities I frequent and I really don't get it. Heroes is a good show but I'm never dying to see the next episode not even right after the last one ends. And 300. All I can say when people gush over it is "Really?" because it's just not that freakin' fantastic.

I would love to rant longer but it would never get posted cause I'm a relentless self-critiquing bastard. So tell me, is it just me?

TheOnyx
Location: The three most important things to consider when opening a business.

My Two Pennies

Postby TheOnyx » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:03 am UTC

300 wasn't what I would consider an awesome movie. I'll give you that the fight scenes were well-correographed and were made more entertaining because of it. However, the plot felt like it was there as an excuse for those fight scenes. Sort of like The One... except with The One, the plot was almost 100% BS. I could deal with the plot in 300, but it definitely could have used more development.

All in all, it's a good popcorn flick, but I don't think I'll be buying it on DVD.

Also, I've never seen Heroes.
Last edited by TheOnyx on Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:03 am UTC

I definitely agree with the 300 thing. I go in to school and everyones always talking about it. The point I always try to make is that it was awesome, yes, but it still sucked. It's enjoyable, entertaining, worth a watch, not worth any awards. Hackneyed writing, dry acting, not dramatic AT ALL, corny, with weak lines scattered everywhere. It's awesome, yes. But good? Nah.
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:07 am UTC

300 was awesome. It's sad you don't like the story line.

Maybe some appreciation of the real history would help?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:19 am UTC

i think it's just the memes of 300 that make it seem great.
maybe you're just not a heroes person, i really like it. episode 17 and 18 were especially good.
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:50 am UTC

I enjoyed 300, it was a good rendition of the graphci novel and it had some badass cinematics.

I love Heroes to bits, Jeph Loeb being involved was the best thing they've ever done, lending it an extremely graphic novel style and it's got a wonderfully paced plot to it.

As to whether they're overblown on the Internet, what you are reading are people's opinions, their opinions may differ from yours. To them it isn't overstated because they loved it.

offput

Postby offput » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:01 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:300 was awesome. It's sad you don't like the story line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae

I was a huge history geek in high school so I knew of the Battle of Thermopylae long before the the movie came out. I know the changes Frank Miller made to original story. And I know the changes Zack Snyder made to the Frank Miller story. I think the actual story is really cool, but I also think a movie can be bad even if the story behind it and the concept are both cool.

Cybored

Postby Cybored » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:28 pm UTC

If you didn't like it, you didn't like it...

I loved 300 and I would still love it if even if I weren't an inter-nerd. It gives me what I want: blood, tales of bravery and over-all badassness (don't correct me, it's a "me" word), and oracles with pointy nippies...

Before 300 was unveiled there was an overwhelming advertising campaign that was done online. Mission: accomplished. Everyone on the nets from here to Vladivostok has seen a trailer or a poster for the damn film. It's internet presence is mighty, indeed. That would probably explain why your digital haunts echo of diatribes about the movie.
*As I start digging into a dish of Fried Zucchini*
me: "I love the Italians! They'll fry anything! 'Try our fried cow hooves. They're called Gepetto!'"
Parkaboy: "Really?"
me: "LOL!"

DetectiveDaughter

Postby DetectiveDaughter » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:42 pm UTC

I'd say 300 has been more than a little over-hyped. I wasn't exactly disappointed by it, but my mind wasn't blow either. It was good fun, and it had some great (and by great, I mean "really freaking cool") moments, but I don't think it was a "great" movie.

As for Heroes, I'm sort of an uber-fan so maybe I'm a little biased, but I think all the internet love it gets is deserved (even if things did get a little slow mid-season). And in reference to the post above, episode 17 was basically my favourite hour of television. Ever.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:11 am UTC

Save the cheerlearder, save the world.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:35 am UTC

No, that makes the movie worse, really.

I haven't watched any Heroes, due to my lack of a television or general lack of interest in TV shows.

My guess is for both, though, there's no real reason to pan them. They might not be the awesome thing we want them to be, but they're either a spectacle (which attracts a lot of "Wooo") or they're decent. And really, is letdown after a hype something worth talking about these days? It's certainly not rare or new.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

jeremy-mc

Postby jeremy-mc » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:59 am UTC

I don't watch heroes, so i can't really tell if its overrated or not.

I went to see 300 with a couple of my friends a few weeks ago. I thought it was the most spectacular movie ever! I loved it, so epic!

Code J

Postby Code J » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:08 am UTC

I didn't like 300 much....but that didn't stop me from screaming in the theater when he said "THIS....IS...SPARTA!!!" It's just the pure cheesiness and epicness that turns me on to it.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:12 am UTC

Why did you scream?
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

reav3r

Postby reav3r » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:48 pm UTC

I honestly believe 300 IS overrated (don't get me wrong, it kicked ass, but all its got going for it is ass kicking :P ), but Heroes is one of the best shows EVAR.
"I'm a blood-sucking fiend! Look at my outfit!" - Willow
"I am a leaf on the wind… watch how I soar." -Wash
"Technology is a word that describes something that doesn't work yet." - Douglas Adams

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:59 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:I haven't watched any Heroes, due to my lack of a television or general lack of interest in TV shows.

Heroes is available online on the NBC website.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Spectre
Assimilation & Processing

Postby Spectre » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:36 pm UTC

I think it's specifically due to the existence of the internet (and thus, the abundance of opinions about every conceivable thing on the face of the planet), that I've been trying to ignore the wealth of reviews that come out about a movie/tv show/book etc...

Not that I ever rely on critical review in order to form my own opinions about something, but I just think that sometimes we can be swayed into "feeling" a certain way about something based on the sheer numbers of others that feel the same way.

ie: If you were to read one review in the paper that said "This movie sucks!", you might still go see it, because it's just one person's opinion. But when you see thousands (ok, not that you'd actually read all of them, but still) of people saying the same thing on the intertrucks, it's easy to start drawing premature conclusions.

I like Heroes. It's very.. "comic-booky" (duh), and I like that it doesn't take itself too seriously.

I like 300. Lots of action, lots of gore for the guys. Lots of half naked men running around for the gals. I expected this to be a good adaptation of the graphic novel, and NOT (I repeat NOT) a historical re-telling of events.

And there you have my own humble opinion to ignore. :)
I wandered through the weird and lurid landscape of another planet...

offput

Postby offput » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:21 pm UTC

Spectre wrote:I think it's specifically due to the existence of the internet (and thus, the abundance of opinions about every conceivable thing on the face of the planet), that I've been trying to ignore the wealth of reviews that come out about a movie/tv show/book etc...

Not that I ever rely on critical review in order to form my own opinions about something, but I just think that sometimes we can be swayed into "feeling" a certain way about something based on the sheer numbers of others that feel the same way.

ie: If you were to read one review in the paper that said "This movie sucks!", you might still go see it, because it's just one person's opinion. But when you see thousands (ok, not that you'd actually read all of them, but still) of people saying the same thing on the intertrucks, it's easy to start drawing premature conclusions.

I like Heroes. It's very.. "comic-booky" (duh), and I like that it doesn't take itself too seriously.

I like 300. Lots of action, lots of gore for the guys. Lots of half naked men running around for the gals. I expected this to be a good adaptation of the graphic novel, and NOT (I repeat NOT) a historical re-telling of events.

And there you have my own humble opinion to ignore. :)

I sometimes think that the reason I get so upset is that the internet can often accentuate opinions you disagree with, which makes your opinion even more antagonistic. Mostly cause I'm the kind of person who hates things if they're getting more credit than they're worth. That's why I hate Angelina Jolie, the not-that-hot, not-that-talented she wolf of Hollywood.

And I Love Heroes, I think it's a great show. I think my biggest problem is how so many people make the statement that because Heroes is a good show, Lost is now shit. I love both shows (I like Lost more though) and that kind of absolutist thinking pisses me off.

Lani
Has Boobs (Probably)

Postby Lani » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:26 pm UTC

I already wrote my essay on why I thought 300 sucked.
- Lani

"They think they're so high and mighty, just because they never got caught driving without pants."

Spectre
Assimilation & Processing

Postby Spectre » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:03 pm UTC

No YOU suck!

*shoves*
I wandered through the weird and lurid landscape of another planet...

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:07 pm UTC

heroes isnt necessarily an internet thing...

all these stupid pieces of shit are watching that garbage show... my roommate watches it and he hasnt spent more than a few minutes on the internet in his lifetime...

ive never seen it though... i assume it sucks donkey dick..

300 however, was fucking amazing, and whoever disagrees can eat shit and die

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:13 pm UTC

*shoves*
Please. You should be kicking.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

reav3r

Postby reav3r » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:14 pm UTC

Rat wrote:ive never seen it though... i assume it sucks donkey dick..

Good God, PLEASE, at least watch the show before forming an opinion about it.

Heroes, is fucking amazing, and whoever disagrees can eat shit and die
"I'm a blood-sucking fiend! Look at my outfit!" - Willow

"I am a leaf on the wind… watch how I soar." -Wash

"Technology is a word that describes something that doesn't work yet." - Douglas Adams

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”