20%
The Simpsons
31%

Total votes: 120

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Re: South Park vs Family Guy vs The Simpsons

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:38 am UTC

Family guy contains about 1 season worth of good content smeared over seven seasons through the art of mix and match sketch storylines. Robot Chicken uses a similar comedy style, but does it to a much more devastating effect and generally doesn't re-use gags.

Simpsons was once original, but passed it's peak quite a while ago.

Southpark is more original than either, and the more recent stuff is actually pretty good. but it still just doesn't make me laugh as much as the good episodes of simpsons, or as much as I laughed the first time I saw an episode of family guy, before I realized that every episode is pretty much exactly the same.

The popular write in Futurama gets my vote, it's original, fresh, and easily as funny as any of the other shows were at their peak.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:15 am UTC

Hmm, again, if we're talking peaks here, Futurama kills it, but otherwise... I mean, have you seen the movies? They suck. Didn't laugh once. And they're turning those into the next season.

Every ongoing TV series (+ film series + comic series + any type of series) eventually passes out of greatness if it runs long enough. Evidently there's only so much that a certain bunch of people can do with a certain bunch of characters in a certain setting.

bigstrat2003

Postby bigstrat2003 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:08 pm UTC

I disagree. With the exception of Beast With A Billion Backs, I thought the movies were every bit as good as the original series. Bender's Game, in particular, was brilliant.

Hybrid Soldier

Postby Hybrid Soldier » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:02 pm UTC

The Simpsons were funny but they kinda lost their humor a loooooooooooong time ago, but the movie was extremely funny. South Park and Family Guy are me favorite shows.
Wade Wilson: It's memorable. Sure it's a little bulky, tough to get on a plane. You whip out a couple of swords at your ex-girlfriends wedding. They will never, ever forget it.

peace cat

Postby peace cat » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:45 pm UTC

Even though the Simpsons isn't nearly as funny as it was about a decade ago, it's still my favorite for personal reasons.

Southpark can be pretty hilarious, but it's usually hit-or-miss.

Family Guy has it's funny moment, but if you've seen one episode, you've seen them all. After a while, it gets monotonous.

I could bitch and whine about some other show being excluded from the list, but I don't see a point in doing that.
Nothing to see here.

HawkDesigns

Postby HawkDesigns » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:10 am UTC

Family Guy. The Simpsons has too many repeats, and South Park isn't that funny anymore.
Spoiler:
^Clicky clicky^

sje46

Postby sje46 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:30 am UTC

HawkDesigns wrote:Family Guy. The Simpsons has too many repeats, and South Park isn't that funny anymore.

Becausae it has too many repeats? That isn't the show's fault. Blame the stations. And did you forget that family is quit3e overplayed as well?

Or is it the fact that there are so many episodes? Of course there is. But just because a series is long doesn't make it a priori bad.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

dbsmith

Postby dbsmith » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:04 am UTC

Ah, another pointless debate with only one right answer.
Futurama

smw543

Postby smw543 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:43 am UTC

HawkDesigns wrote:Family Guy. The Simpsons has too many repeats, and South Park isn't that funny anymore.
In most places The Simpsons is played two or three times a day. Anywhere you go, Family guy is played at least four times (two episodes on TBS and two on Adult Swim,) and usually more; where I live, they air an additional two on some local station.
---------
I voted Simpsons, for old times' sake. Though if it were based strictly on the last episode of each to be aired, I'd actually make the same choice. Last week's episode of South Park mocking the Jonas Brothers was the worst I've seen in some time (seriously, how do you screw up a Jonas Brothers parody?) and Sunday's episode of Family Guy was mediocre. But the new Simpsons episode ("Gone Maggie Gone") was surprisingly good, arguably as good as some of the early ones. While no match for classic Lisa-centric episodes like "Lisa's Wedding" or "Lisa's Substitute", it easily blows the recent "Lisa the Drama Queen" out of the water. It was co-written by Billy Kimball and Ian Maxtone-Graham, who were responsible for several of the least sucky episodes in recent years.

It'll be up for a while at Hulu, I strongly recommend giving it twenty minutes of your time.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Dan.V

Postby Dan.V » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:35 am UTC

Is this a joke?

Okay, that's an over-reaction, I assume this is just a poll of which show people prefer, but I think objectively (if things like this could ever be judged objectively) The Simpsons is miles better than South Park and Family Guy put together. And as a huge South Park fan, that's saying something (I can't say the same for Family Guy, which I hate).

If you look at things like that fact that The Simpsons, with its upcoming season, will be the longest running television show in history, that it appeals to all age groups, the number of books written on the show (not to mention university courses based on it), and the myriad other things you could point to, it is the better show.

Yes, it has gotten pretty bad in the last 3 or 4 (or 5 or 6) seasons, but hey, Family Guy got shitty after 2 seasons. But then again, it is written by manatees...

Anyhow, my vote is for The Simpsons.

Julien

Postby Julien » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:40 pm UTC

Do you realize that you are acting like Comic Book Guy ?
Do not conquer. Do not fight back. Do not give up.
(One cookie for each person who recognizes the guy on my avatar. And no, it's not me. Clue : he's not a former american president.)

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:30 pm UTC

95% of the internet is. I think that's why we've been seing more of him in recent episodes.

My heart sank a little bit watching the two most recent episodes of The Simpsons when I realized they're a lot more like Family Guy than earlier episodes.
But I can't really blame them, I haven't seen FG fall out of Hulu's top 5 shows, maybe todays masses just want something slower and not as smart.
I mean, The Simpsons have had some good moments this season, but I kind of hope it doesn't drag on too much longer.

Dan.V wrote:Yes, it has gotten pretty bad in the last 3 or 4 (or 5 or 6) seasons, but hey, Family Guy got shitty after 2 seasons. But then again, it is written by manatees...

I've seen this sort of comment a lot. Can someone give me an example of when Family Guy was good? I tend to think it is just a terrible show, but maybe I haven't given it a fair chance.

smw543

Postby smw543 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:58 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:I've seen this sort of comment a lot. Can someone give me an example of when Family Guy was good? I tend to think it is just a terrible show, but maybe I haven't given it a fair chance.
The original seasons of Family Guy (actually, more like the first few episodes, plus a couple throughout seasons 1 and 2) were still similar to what they air now, but they tended to have more actual jokes and less cut-away gags. Also, the voices were a bit more subtle; Peter wasn't quite as much of a loudmouth jackass, and Meg had a different voice actress (currently voiced by the justified and all-around irritating Mila Kunis.)

Also, it first came on right around the time that The Simpsons was heading into a sharp decline. People were lowering their standards, and something half-decent came along. (And don't forget the issue of the lowest common denominator - a lot of the jokes are simply stupid or offensive, but that's what a lot of people go for. That, and omgwtflolz!!! an evel babby!!1!) Still, I watch it from time to time, and it's almost always good for a few (light) laughs.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

FlammableD

Postby FlammableD » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:34 am UTC

Family Guy serves as a decent distraction, or something to pull out on a crappy day, but it's nothing special anymore. I find myself enjoying American Dad a lot more than new Family Guy.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:35 am UTC

I've been watching a lot of American Dad recently, and yeah, definitely my favourite animated sitcom right now.

idlehandsrome18

Postby idlehandsrome18 » Tue May 05, 2009 8:37 pm UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:I've been watching a lot of American Dad recently, and yeah, definitely my favourite animated sitcom right now.

American Dad is pretty good. It has elements of Family Guy's brilliance without the annoying randomness. I don't like the characters as much though.
My webcomic:

sje46

Postby sje46 » Tue May 05, 2009 10:17 pm UTC

You like the characters in Family Guy? They're very shallow and you can't connect with them. Maybe Brian is the best character, but really.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.

Xbehave

Postby Xbehave » Wed May 06, 2009 12:13 pm UTC

Family guy is retarded, I used to find it amusing but after watching "cartoon wars" everytime they do something random I'm laughing at the show not the gag!

The Simpson just isn't funny anymore, even the movie was no better than a long episode (granted an episode from when they were good, but still nothing good enough to make a movie out of).

As a kid i used to think south park as all about the swearing and lame, but now many episodes are very clever AND hillarious. But some are hilarious and stupid and some are pretty meh, so judging by their worst stuff they might be worse than simpsons/family guy, but every few episodes they pull something out of the bag that (unless your a republican and take yourself too seriously, or a die hard liberal ) simply blows even the best simpsons/family guy out of the water.

While futurama is good, i find it fills more of funnier version of the simpsons, yeah its great to watch and fill time with, but it rarely gets topical and while some of the gags are great, without getting topical it cant compete with the best south park's great topical stuff ("About Last Night...", "With Apologies to Jesse Jackson", "Britney's New Look", "The Snuke"). So yeah while futurama is good to watch now and again, it doesn't compete with south park which i watch regularly despite not having a TV.
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Justice

Postby Justice » Wed May 06, 2009 11:22 pm UTC

I find all three very funny, but South Park is my all-time favorite even though I agree that their earlier seasons were better.
...Just!ce

Spoiler:
uh oh, its a tarp!

idlehandsrome18

Postby idlehandsrome18 » Sun May 17, 2009 9:26 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:You like the characters in Family Guy? They're very shallow and you can't connect with them. Maybe Brian is the best character, but really.

Brain and Stewie are both amazing characters, hands down. The funniest episodes are when they act as a comedy duo and go on a ridiculous adventure, like the one where they rent a helicopter and perform a musical as the security deposit. Very funny. Quagmire is also great, but I suppose the others are just average.
My webcomic:

brume

Postby brume » Sat May 23, 2009 10:53 pm UTC

"The jokes on Family Guy are interchangeable and irrelevant to the plot." From SP episode 'Cartoon Wars' where Comedy Central censored the image of 'you know who'.

When 'Cartoon Wars' ran, the staff at The Simpsons sent flowers to the staff at South Park.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/103230

http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/103233

South Park

Gentlelady

Postby Gentlelady » Sun May 24, 2009 1:02 am UTC

As I kid I was never allowed to watch The Simpsons. By the time I moved out and started watching what I wanted, I never really got into the show.

There are only a few episodes of South Park and Family Guy I have watched and enjoyed. Though I did love South Park's version of 300.
d33p wrote:And Karma rode upon a pale horse, and GentleLady followed behind.
sleepygamer wrote:Once you go sleepy you never go backy.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Sun May 24, 2009 1:10 am UTC

idlehandsrome18 wrote:
sje46 wrote:You like the characters in Family Guy? They're very shallow and you can't connect with them. Maybe Brian is the best character, but really.

Brain and Stewie are both amazing characters, hands down. The funniest episodes are when they act as a comedy duo and go on a ridiculous adventure, like the one where they rent a helicopter and perform a musical as the security deposit. Very funny. Quagmire is also great, but I suppose the others are just average.

Brian is an average character. All the others are one-dimensional, and horrible. Family Guy is probably the most over-rated show in the past five years. Think about it. Remember when Stewie used to be all about conquering the world and killing his mother? They had to stop that because it only worked for a few episodes. http://abomb.wordpress.com/2008/06/04/family-guy-is-a-terrible-show/
I hate hate hate those fve-minute jokes.

Chobbes

Postby Chobbes » Sun May 24, 2009 5:03 am UTC

All three shows pretty much suck nowadays.

I can't remember one decent Family Guy, Simpsons, or South Park episode from the past year. Writers at Family Guy are just plain lazy, the Simpsons don't even have writers anymore, and Trey + Matt lost their bile and bite 2 seasons ago and can't come up with anything smart and relevant.

Sigh...I miss good comedic cartoons. Vintage simpsons, south park, that rare funny episode of family guy...

We need to resurrect Harvey Birdman!
The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sun May 24, 2009 6:24 am UTC

Dang, I was browsing through some older Simpsons clips on hulu, and it seems like things used to be a lot darker.
I guess having the same people in the same place for 20 years sort of gives things a feeling of safety. Lately there also seem to be a lot more episodes focusing on being topical.

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Mon May 25, 2009 3:26 am UTC

I loved oldschool Simpsons, but anything after season 12 ruined it. I went with South Park because it's better overall.

Also, there's a severe lack of Futurama in the poll.
...It made more sense in my head.

Impulse97

Postby Impulse97 » Fri May 29, 2009 3:15 pm UTC

I'm still a loyal Simpsons fan even with the new episodes. Yea some are terrible (the recent shelbyville-wall episode) but i think 60-70% are still good even if there not quite on par with the older episodes. Shows as they go on do get a little stale especily after 20 years but that's no reason to write them of as complete crap after a certain date.

Family Gut while hilarious most of the time has no room for growth or expansion beyond a random shock and awe show.

South park was bad the progressed slowly into a great show and has recently dropped off and been losing the funny with every passing episode.

Futurama and RBC are both funny.

"I'll show ye..."
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Dude, everyone likes girls. Have you seen girls? Girls are hot!

The preceding sentence was made with good faith and good humor...

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”