Top Bear!

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Torwegia

Top Bear!

Postby Torwegia » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:00 pm UTC

I really really really enjoy this show and i would assume that some of you do as well.

Anyone have any ideas what they might do to top season 10, beating the North Pole and Africa trips is going to be hard. I am just hoping for more great camera work really, the cameramen for the show are awesome.

(sorry if this topic exists, i did a search but was too lazy to really look hard.)

Amarantha

Re: Top Gear!

Postby Amarantha » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:30 pm UTC

I AM THE STIG

:mrgreen:

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:37 pm UTC

No, I'm the Stig.

I loved the episode where they were being broadcast to an Australian audience, and tried to give a review of the latest Australian cars.

Cue several minutes of silence.

That and when Clarkson set the caravan on fire, burning down the neighbouring one.

If there's one thing that is always horrifically blatant, it's the use of deep-blue filters on the top half of the screen, when reviewing cars. That has become a pet hate of mine, as it gives the roof of the car, and any surrounding trees an aquamarine tinge.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Torwegia

Postby Torwegia » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:40 pm UTC

Top Ground Gear Force was a bundle of laughs, poor James and his sheds.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:26 pm UTC

They were seen filming in Japan, so expect a Japan episode next season.

I'm the Stig's fat American cousin.

But yeah, I love Top Gear. Adam Corolla is going to be one of the hosts in NBC's American version.

bwan

Postby bwan » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:27 pm UTC

Absolutely amazing show.
It's strange how it works so well and just keeps getting better.
The next season should contain a race as they are by far the best episodes.

Loved Top Gear Ground Force Garden. Especially
Spoiler:
Hammond getting stuck in the cement and having to be lifted out by Clarkson, genius.

What does everyone reckon about some of it being scripted?
Some people claim it's entirely scripted but I think certain things (like the caravan catching on fire, which was confirmed to be staged) are staged but most of it is just brilliant improv and Jeremy Clarkson being given money to do whatever he wants.
If anything the little bits of staged stuff only add to the brilliance.

bwan
bwan

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:25 pm UTC

Well, it was awarded Best Unscripted Show or something similar in last year's BAFTAs, I think, so not the majority of it. They obviously have ideas of what they're going to say, but I think it's outlines rather than full scripts.

Certainly some of it has to be completely scripted though. I really don't think the caravan fire was unintentional (the cameraman just happened to be in exactly the right position to capture the cushion being thrown out the window? Nah), neither the burning down of the carwash with the convertible people carrier. I'm sure there's others.

As for epic shows, let's not forget the American adventure - "Manlove Rules OK" and "Hillary For President" were just brilliant.

I could quite happily watch Top Gear all day.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:19 am UTC

It would also depend what you mean by 'scripted'. I mean, is it scripted if Jeremy and Richard get together and decide to do mean things every time James puts his shed up? No, it's just Jeremy and Richard deciding to do something funny ahead of time.

Unscripted does not mean entirely spontaneous.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:00 am UTC

Ironically, I'm totally indifferent about cars. I just love the show for itself. Love the Stig, love James's pedantic nerdiness (I'm totally the female James May), love the Hamster's adorable sheepishness (sooo glad he recovered from his coma), love Clarkson's wit and general bastardry. Even Top Gear Dog is just perfect, and I'm a cat person.

sheol made me stay up until 10pm the other day, because he was "downloading something you are going to want to watch". He was right; it was Top Ground Gear Force :mrgreen:

In fact, we're watching an old repeat on the telly at this very moment...

It's my niece's first birthday inna few weeks - I'm thinking of getting some iron-on transfers and making her an "I am baby Stig" T-shirt.

Torwegia

Postby Torwegia » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:39 pm UTC

James May is awesome, his wine trip show with Oz Clark was pretty awesome

jtniehof

Postby jtniehof » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:16 pm UTC

Torwegia wrote:James May is awesome,

James tends to approach everything in pretty much the way I would, with predicatable over-engineered, under-robust results (e.g. the sailboat car.) I think this probably says far more about my character than I care to admit.

I was cheering when he found the Benz for the Africa trip...until the salt flats.

Torwegia

Postby Torwegia » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:45 pm UTC

jtniehof wrote:James tends to approach everything in pretty much the way I would, with predicatable over-engineered, under-robust results (e.g. the sailboat car.) I think this probably says far more about my character than I care to admit.

I was cheering when he found the Benz for the Africa trip...until the salt flats.

Over-engineering things makes for more fun. The sailboat car is definitely my favorite of the those episodes. Plus James' views on women are pretty spot on,"I LOVE women in rubbish cars with their own breasts. I have a thing for slightly dishevelled arty birds."

I really liked Oliver from the start of the Africa episode. which was insane. Beautiful camerawork throughout the whole thing and it taught me to fear honey badgers.

quartrmster007
Location: Atlanta, Georgia...but if "home is where the heart is", London. <3

Postby quartrmster007 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:27 pm UTC

Top Gear is seriously one of the most amazing shows on the planet, if not THE most amazing.

This is coming from (my friends have said) and American, teenage version of Clarkson.

I particularly love the North Pole special. Did anyone else want to go out and buy a Toyota after that episode?

http://www.arctictrucks.com/?PageID=1281 That's the webpage for the company who converted the Hilux, btw.
SlightlyEvil wrote:
Heh, you just missed the forest and hit the tree head-on.

Alias

Postby Alias » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:46 pm UTC

its very good, but dave has casued me to have seen every episode a few hundered times heh

*dave is a free re-run channel over here, has a lot of top gear
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:06 pm UTC

Apparently Season 10 is now available on iTunes.

In other news, anyone watch the Aussie Top Gear? An e-quaintence of mine described it as "The Top Gear Experience at Universal" which is pretty accurate. It's really bad.

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:49 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:In other news, anyone watch the Aussie Top Gear?

The format is pretty much identical, but what makes the original show so good is the chemistry between the three blokes. Our three blokes just don't have it.
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

spdqbr

Postby spdqbr » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:35 am UTC

MY OTHER CAR IS THE STIG

Great show, greeeeat show. I started watching a few years ago when it came on after Mythbusters on Discovery a few times. Now they show some older episodes on BBC America, but they show them over and over.

The japan episode is quite good (last one of season 11). You can find lots of information and all episodes from all 11 seasons at http://www.finalgear.com (also includes fifth gear and Australian top gear). And it's the full 1 hour BBC versions, not the 45 minute BBCA versions.

Can't wait for the start season 12 on Nov 2nd!
In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual.

Galileo

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:02 am UTC

spdqbr wrote:...season 12 on Nov 2nd!

:D
Happy post makes Amarantha happy!

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:11 pm UTC

At least one episode has them back in the US reviewing the Corvette ZR1 and the new Cadillac CTS-V. Both of which Clarkson liked. :shock:

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:08 pm UTC

I fear for American Top Gear. Adam Carolla (Corolla?) was pretty funny in the Man Show, but I seriously doubt if he's going to be able to pull off a car show. For one thing, I can't imagine a show in the U.S. bashing a car, no matter how much it sucks. It's just not in our corporate nature. Plus, when's that "Corolla" joke ever going to end?
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:10 pm UTC

Yea, but the network said they would give the reviewers free reign to bash cars, so we'll see.

And Corrola is a bit fo a car nut, so he'll know what he's talking about.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:38 pm UTC

I love it. Especially their more quirky moments like the fox hunt with Jeremy in a car and Richard on a horse.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:09 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:If there's one thing that is always horrifically blatant, it's the use of deep-blue filters on the top half of the screen, when reviewing cars. That has become a pet hate of mine, as it gives the roof of the car, and any surrounding trees an aquamarine tinge.

I don't watch it for the cars, and generally drift out when they are being reviewed but that annoys me also, just show the car in natural colours.

Also <3 James May.

Joeldi

Postby Joeldi » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:23 am UTC

I really don't care for cars, yet the chemistry between the guys is so great, I'm a huge fan of the show.
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:46 am UTC

I thought the filter was a joke on the first episode I saw, I still think it's funny, they should do a green or yellow filter for a car once, just to poke fun at themselves.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

musashi1600

Postby musashi1600 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:30 am UTC

Amarantha wrote:Ironically, I'm totally indifferent about cars. I just love the show for itself. Love the Stig, love James's pedantic nerdiness (I'm totally the female James May), love the Hamster's adorable sheepishness (sooo glad he recovered from his coma), love Clarkson's wit and general bastardry. Even Top Gear Dog is just perfect, and I'm a cat person.

Join the club. (Granted, watching Top Gear has made me want cars I wouldn't normally want, like the Vauxhall VXR8.) :mrgreen:
It's Bicycle Repair Man!

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:57 am UTC

New series! Yay! Still brilliant.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:14 pm UTC

Yay! for new Top Gear :D I don't think I stopped laughing for longer than a minute at any time :P
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:17 pm UTC

Damn I want to know the GT2's time. :( It's such a happy-looking car. :)

Paranoid__Android

Postby Paranoid__Android » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:52 pm UTC

That was an awsome episode and the new series looks fantastic from the preview
The Great Hippo wrote:My dearest, most cherished friend, Paranoid__Android:
... truly, you are a champion among champions. ...
Sincerely and with great fondness,
~The Great Hippo

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:33 pm UTC

So five hundred people have complained about Jeremy Clarkson's joke about prostitute-killing truckers.

I suppose it was to be expected, given that last week everyone in the country found out that complaining about BBC broadcasts can have an effect. :|

It was funny though!

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:23 am UTC

Heh, 0.074% of the viewers complained.... Fuck 'em! :)
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:05 pm UTC

Various Varieties wrote:So five hundred people have complained about Jeremy Clarkson's joke about prostitute-killing truckers.

I suppose it was to be expected, given that last week everyone in the country found out that complaining about BBC broadcasts can have an effect. :|

It was funny though!

BBC wrote:"The vast majority of Top Gear viewers have clear expectations of Jeremy Clarkson's long-established and frequently provocative on-screen persona.

:P this made me LOL IRL
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

Paranoid__Android

Postby Paranoid__Android » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:32 am UTC

It made me laugh when they apologised for not putting up the time of the GT-2 :D

Good episode.
The Great Hippo wrote:My dearest, most cherished friend, Paranoid__Android:
... truly, you are a champion among champions. ...
Sincerely and with great fondness,
~The Great Hippo

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:23 am UTC

Good thing they managed to not-be-entertaining or we might have had no show at all :P

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:34 pm UTC

This post is entirely factual. Not entertaining at all:

I loved the bit about the Goldengate bridge being smaller than the Humber bridge. And knowing which type of car leaves better streak marks is a definite must :)
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

djn

Postby djn » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:56 pm UTC

I still hold the super cars / Millau viaduct episode as one of the better pieces of non-fiction TV in recent times. :)
And now I want to fly to the south of France to see a large bridge in the middle of nowhere. Ah well.

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:39 am UTC

Clicky. NBC again shows why management should never be left to people that read statistics. Apparently Top Gear and Knight Rider were supposed to have targeted the "same audience." I guess "entertainment car show done very well" and "hour of stupidity with a car in it" are the same thing. :(

It's supposed to be picked up by a cable channel in short order, but it's probably going to hurt their budget.

Nosferatu

Postby Nosferatu » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:28 am UTC

I'm not that big a fan of when they do a lot of the reviews but I really enjoy watching their challenges, tonight I'm going to watch their Japan trip/challenge. :D
Real terror is not the sight of death, it is the fear of death. What is the fear of death? Terror of the unknown.

Phill

Postby Phill » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:27 am UTC

I love Top Gear. I think my favourite bit of this series was the review of the Ford Fiesta.

Spoiler:
"What if I'm being chased through a shopping centre at night by a Corvette?"

"Is it green?"

"What if I get asked to participate in an assault with the Royal Marines?"

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”