Things you remember watching but can't remember the name of

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

HiFranc

Re: Things you remember watching but can't remember the name

Postby HiFranc » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:42 am UTC

I think this film was made more recently but it was set in the 60s and 70s (mainly 70s). The story is:

There's an American family with 2 daughters. The eldest comes of age in the 60s and leaves to travel Europe. A few weeks/months later word comes that she has committed suicide. In the 70s the younger daughter comes of age and, despite the worries of her mother, decides to go to Europe to find out why her sister killed herself.

Spoiler:
She finds that her sister got involved with radical left politics. Her sister had joined a group of activists planting bombs and couldn't live with herself when one of them kills somebody.

fersrs

Postby fersrs » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:37 pm UTC

A Spanish show that's pretty much a cross between Judge Judy and a debate tournament. There are two people that come on stage and present their disagreement, then the audience members argue about who is right and who is wrong in that situation. The people on stage who have the dilemma get to argue for themselves as well, but it's mostly about the audience members arguing with each other. There's a lot of yelling involved, and bright colors. One of the arguments I remember is a hairdresser accusing this guy of distracting her employees because he was sunbathing naked in his yard that the shop overlooked (she lost that one). At the end a judge declares who lost and what they have to do to make up for it (usually a fine or something). I saw it in Granada in the summer of 2011, if that helps.

It was my favorite show when I was there and now I can't remember the title! Augh it's driving me up the wall trying to find it.

moronstupid

Postby moronstupid » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:37 am UTC

help me please can't remember the title :(
- a movie not cartoon
- there are a man and his wife build a bunker under his house, they think an atom bomb will strike (accually there is no bomb coming), so hide hide in there about 10 years maybe
- they have a son
- he then went outside the bunker without knowing anything about the world
- he pay the taxi driver with his baseball card collection because he dont have money
- then, i dont remember.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:12 pm UTC

moronstupid wrote:help me please can't remember the title :(
- a movie not cartoon
- there are a man and his wife build a bunker under his house, they think an atom bomb will strike (accually there is no bomb coming), so hide hide in there about 10 years maybe
- they have a son
- he then went outside the bunker without knowing anything about the world
- he pay the taxi driver with his baseball card collection because he dont have money
- then, i dont remember.

Blast from the Past, I think.

moronstupid

Postby moronstupid » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:08 pm UTC

yeah thats it. thanks :D

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:06 pm UTC

You guys have helped me out before, and this is a bit of a long shot, but there was a television programme (possibly film, but I think it was a TV show) that scared the helloutta me when I was a child.

I believe it was a STANDARD CRIME FICTION DETECTIVE SHOW, featuring a SERIAL KILLER who used a DOLL to distract victims. This doll was a CREEPY DOLL (warning: TVTropes Link), but unlike most Creepy Dolls, was not living or supernatural in any way. It was a life-sized doll of a child with regular, lifeless doll features, but it was terrifying in that its EYES AND TEETH LIT UP. When that happened, the killer would strike, and kill the victim in a fairly standard slasher way.

The scene I vividly remember is as follows:

It is NIGHT. A woman is driving alone through an empty FOREST ROAD. She slams on the brakes: there is a child-sized DOLL sitting on a TRICYCLE in the middle of the road, facing her. She believes the doll to be a real child. She stops the car and gets out, talking to the doll ("hey, are you okay? Where's your mummy?" etc.) and then she realises it is not a child. At that moment, the doll's EYES AND TEETH LIGHT UP. She panics, and the killer strikes. SOMETHING HAPPENS but I can't remember what. I believe she escapes the attempt on her life and runs into the pitch-black FOREST. There is a CHASE SCENE, with her scrambling through dense forest. She finds a stone BARN or SHED in the midst of the forest. She runs to it and pounds on the door. Out of nowhere, a BLADED WEAPON flies through the air, into her BACK, and she is PINNED TO THE DOOR, which swings open, with her hanging from it.

Ring any bells? It could be a very famous scene (it should be!) but I think it was an episode from a minor UK TV show in the early 1990s (like, 10 years ago)

Edit: I have a vague suspicion this might be Taggart, but none of the episode synopses appears to fit, ahem, the bill.

Edit 2: It appears someone else is seeking the episode I mean, too. So I'm on the right track, I think.

Edit 3: Other people have been looking for this episode, also. Tentative signs point towards Fatal Inheritance. I'm going to try and acquire the episode. I watched it on New Year's Day 1993 at my auntie's house. Exactly 20 years ago (±a week)! Scared me rigid, it did.

Edit 4: Found it, made a gif.

Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

tms

Postby tms » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:17 pm UTC

This is a scan Danish or Norwegian sketch show - I'm a little sketchy on this :twisted: - from the 1980s (I don't think it's older). TV production anyway. I remember some flying saucer type thing which was shown int/ext. On the inside there were some flashing lights. How many of these can there be, eh?
- No, son. I said 'duck'.
- Duck duck duck duck! Duck duck duck duck!

Smor Gaga

Postby Smor Gaga » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:59 am UTC

It is animated movie. I remember seeing the factory in the begining which is making toys like dolls and stuffed animals( i remember a bear or an elephant and a puppet and a doll) and then it is shown that not all toys are well made, like they have some mistakes. Like bear has too big nose, doll has big nose or something like that, doesnt matter. And then factory( which works on its own, there are no people) dump that few toys outside to junkyard. And then comes one old man who has hat which makes him invisible and magical and he has a flying ship and he throws magic dust and toys come alive. Then i dont remember much but there is one old hag which works for one mean lady which i think works for like rival factory and she wants to kidnape those toys especially a doll who is very pretty.

I watched this when i was, like 4, and it was dubbed in french and vhs is broken and i cant find anyone who watched this. Maybe its a french cartoon or something, idk..

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:30 am UTC

Smor Gaga wrote:It is animated movie. I remember seeing the factory in the begining which is making toys like dolls and stuffed animals( i remember a bear or an elephant and a puppet and a doll) and then it is shown that not all toys are well made, like they have some mistakes. Like bear has too big nose, doll has big nose or something like that, doesnt matter. And then factory( which works on its own, there are no people) dump that few toys outside to junkyard. And then comes one old man who has hat which makes him invisible and magical and he has a flying ship and he throws magic dust and toys come alive. Then i dont remember much but there is one old hag which works for one mean lady which i think works for like rival factory and she wants to kidnape those toys especially a doll who is very pretty.

I watched this when i was, like 4, and it was dubbed in french and vhs is broken and i cant find anyone who watched this. Maybe its a french cartoon or something, idk..

That sounds a bit like Raggy Dolls (intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI9rXx88YsA) crossed with something else...

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:40 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
Smor Gaga wrote:It is animated movie. I remember seeing the factory in the begining which is making toys like dolls and stuffed animals( i remember a bear or an elephant and a puppet and a doll) and then it is shown that not all toys are well made, like they have some mistakes. Like bear has too big nose, doll has big nose or something like that, doesnt matter. And then factory( which works on its own, there are no people) dump that few toys outside to junkyard. And then comes one old man who has hat which makes him invisible and magical and he has a flying ship and he throws magic dust and toys come alive. Then i dont remember much but there is one old hag which works for one mean lady which i think works for like rival factory and she wants to kidnape those toys especially a doll who is very pretty.

That sounds a bit like Raggy Dolls (intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI9rXx88YsA) crossed with something else...

Personally I was getting some weird mash-up of Superted and the Misfit Toys from Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer stuck in my head because I couldn't remember what actual show I'd seen was like that, and now you mention Raggy Dolls I agree that that's a likely contender.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:26 pm UTC

This was a sci fi movie seen in perhaps late eighties or nineties, the only scene I really remember is a guy asking a friend for some of the friend's calorie ration, as the guy had spent all of his on dessert or something and was hungry. The friend agreed and scanned his palm on a dispenser in the wall. The scenery reminded me of a mall with eighties sci fi stuff as decoration.

CLD
be at least somewhat witty

Postby CLD » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:50 pm UTC

Biliboy wrote:This was a sci fi movie seen in perhaps late eighties or nineties, the only scene I really remember is a guy asking a friend for some of the friend's calorie ration, as the guy had spent all of his on dessert or something and was hungry. The friend agreed and scanned his palm on a dispenser in the wall. The scenery reminded me of a mall with eighties sci fi stuff as decoration.
Reminds me of The Island, in which a man wasn't allowed to have bacon so his friend sweet talks the woman in the cafeteria line to get some for him. But no dispenser in the wall.

There was a movie I saw once. A man asked another person about the twin paradox saying something like "There were two twins. One went into space and came back and was younger / has aged less than his brother. Which was happier"? The person responds "The younger one." He responds "No, the one who stayed home had a full life, settled down, raised a family..." Does anyone remember what movie this is from?
Spoiler:
Satea Murua
Episode 1 - Silent Square
Turn 2 taken - Uly, B, Rfuinbeg, Miryllastasia, Jalvier Chaussier, Shyl
Turn 2 waiting - Esteban Bernardo

Puppyclaws

Postby Puppyclaws » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:48 pm UTC

So I have nearly forgotten whatever this is, and this will probably be impossible. I have been looking for years and have now forgotten most of the details.

There is something animated. The animation style is somewhat fantastical. It had a narrator, I believe, possibly one who was involved in the story in a fourth-wall-breaking type way; I believe one character was named Bob, who was kind of a sidekick to the primary character, wore all black, and did not actually speak (but made noise). At some point, the characters are all falling; possibly a church is falling from the sky with them.

This may have been aired on Cartoon Network in the 90's and been heavily promoted.

I think I will never find it with this description. Maybe it's not even real.

Pi is exactly three

Postby Pi is exactly three » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:36 pm UTC

I've been an avid moviegoer since I was 6 or 7 (so 50 years now!), and I'm trying to track down films that I saw as a kid but never seem to have surfaced since. Mostly there's just a single scene that's stuck in my memory, but hopefully you geniuses can help out. They're all films that I would have seen in the 60s, possibly early 70s, though not necessarily made then.

1) Colour Zorro-period drama with Spanish-style castles and aristocrats (possibly set in Mexico rather than Spain). Bad guy has hero and his lady friend chained to a wall in his dungeon. He has a tank? pool? with piranha in, grabs one from the water and holds it to the hero's face so it takes a small bite and blood runs down. This was the first A-HA! special effects moment that I can recall - I remember sitting in the cinema and thinking "I know how they did that, it's a fake rubber fish with ketchup inside and he just squeezed some out".

2) Colour mystery thriller with some sort of investigator, or family acquaintance playing as one, looking into skullduggery for a family with a house up in the (Californian?) foothills somewhere. He drove a red sports car. Spoilt prankster family member fancies trying the car out and drives off in it without permission. Hero gives chase down the mountain road in a second car, sees joyrider lose control, crash and die. Finds that he must be getting too close to solving things, as the brakes had been cut and he was the intended victim. For some reason I picture Richard Todd in my head for this one, but IMDB says the only investigator he played in the 60s was in "Coast of Skeletons" and none of the on-line synopses I've read sound like this scene would make sense in it.

The remaining ones I remember as being in black-and-white, but that means nothing as I saw these on TV and we had a B+W set well into the 70s.

3) Crime mystery. Starts with a hitchhiker on a desert road. Motorist picks him up but crashes shortly after. Hitchhiker is thrown clear (banging his head which gives him amnesia for the rest of the film), and tries to save the driver from the burning vehicle but is beaten back by the heat. Later, in a small town up the road, a local sheriff wants to fit him up for a crime but when they try to take his fingerprints, he has none because they were singed off as he grasped the hot metal of the car door.

4) Western. One scene only, at the end. Hero is captured by bad guys, who decide to kill him elaborately by tying his arms and legs to two horses so he's stretched out face-up between them, then stampede the horses across the prairie, intending eventual dismemberment. Another character (who may have been an antagonist to the hero earlier on) chases down the galloping horses and, instead of just reining them to a halt, rides alongside horse 1 and cuts the ropes so that the hero can flip himself over onto the back of horse 2.

5) Another western. Scene between white men with a captured Indian, and Indians who have taken a white man hostage in order to exchange. The latter has his wrists tied together and is being led on a rope behind a horse. White man disdainfully rejects the offer of a hostage exchange by shooting his prisoner on the spot, whereupon the enraged Indian spurs his horse and gallops off, dragging the hostage to his death.

6) Murder mystery, a sort of light-hearted version of "The List of Adrian Messenger". People are being bumped off one by one and the only clue is a sort of repetitive "squeak-squeak-clop" sound, the running joke being that practically every suspect (a man in a wheelchair, a man with a wooden leg etc) makes a similar noise in one way or another.

And TV shows:

7) Children's 60s UK TV series, all I can remember is people had metal (copper?) bracelets (on their upper arms IIRC) that turned them into mind-controlled zombies. I was very young and this one scared the crap out of me.

8) Children's 60s UK TV series, children stumble on a secret base inside the island of Rockall run by a Fu Manchu lookalike criminal mastermind. I would have thought early "Freewheelers", but IMDB suggests not.

Have at it, xkcd!
"We are the weirdos, Mister!"
--Fairuza Balk, The Craft

I have travelled from 1955 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

Pi is exactly three wrote:6) Murder mystery, a sort of light-hearted version of "The List of Adrian Messenger". People are being bumped off one by one and the only clue is a sort of repetitive "squeak-squeak-clop" sound, the running joke being that practically every suspect (a man in a wheelchair, a man with a wooden leg etc) makes a similar noise in one way or another.
There was a two-part episode of Get Smart that was exactly like that. Does "The plans are not plans!" ring a bell?

Pi is exactly three

Postby Pi is exactly three » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:48 pm UTC

No,it doesn't, but I found that two-part episode in the IMDB listing, watched it on Youtube, and you are correct! As soon as I saw the docks and the fog I knew it was the right show.

However, it has not worn well. Laboured slapstick and really thin humour. Don't know how long it took US shows to be re-broadcast here in the UK in those days, but if it was filmed in 1966 I was probably 11, 12, 13 when I saw it? Might have seemed hilarious to young me - now, not so much.

Sadly I find that happens a lot with programmes from my youth. The only show I've found so far that really held up when re-watched decades later was Alias Smith and Jones - it had some pretty sharp scripts.

OK, that was a good and remarkably fast start! One down and seven to go.
"We are the weirdos, Mister!"
--Fairuza Balk, The Craft

I have travelled from 1955 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

GiantSnowman

Postby GiantSnowman » Thu May 02, 2013 11:14 pm UTC

I once saw a French sf comedy about two old French men who befriend an martian. At first, one of the men is ridiculed for claiming to have met an alien. He attempts to hang himself but his friend saves him. The martian has a martian greeting which he teaches to the two men; It involves extending your hand away from your mouth and going 'pululululuwulup' loudly. The martian insists on starting any encounter with it. He looks just like a human except for some silly metalic clothing. Troughout the movie, the two men need a glass of wine before doing anything.

A businessman or something wants to buy their house because he wants to build a zoo there. The two friends continuously refuse to sell and in the end, the zoo is built around them with their house and porch intact so it looks like they're a pair of animals in a cage. They take the martian up on his offer to come live on mars and take their house with them.

The movie was in colour, but looked quite old.

Grop

Postby Grop » Fri May 03, 2013 9:16 am UTC

This seems to be la Soupe aux Choux. Quite the famous stuff.

GiantSnowman

Postby GiantSnowman » Fri May 03, 2013 3:11 pm UTC

Oh thank you!

I guess it wasn't that old. (I saw it in the mid 90's) I've been teaching friends the martian greeting and it was really hard to explain why they should learn it.

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed May 08, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

Around 1982-ish, there were two extremely short-lived shows broadcast in the US. I think they ran for all of two or three episodes before being cancelled - they were so bad they were great.

The first had to do with two cave-men (sort of like the Flintstones in live-action) who were on a quest to find the [something-or-other], which consisted of two different materials which when brought together made a terrific boom (I am thinking A-bomb analogue). I have a suspicion it is the same as the second one referred to by ConMan here, where
ConMan wrote:#2:
I'm pretty sure it was only 1 or 2 parts, and showed on ABC, so might have been part of some kind of omnibus/anthology show. A couple of kids (brother & sister?) are fighting, and get transported to a mysterious island inhabited by two tribes - the white-robed "follow the rules" group and the black-robed "do what you like" group. The tribes each have a glowing Macguffin and plan to steal/destroy the other tribes'. I think the kids either visit both tribes or decide to join different ones, but then for whatever reason the tribes both decide to attack, and the kids realise that both tribes are in the wrong, and the answer is to join the two Macguffins together, which makes the tribes merge as well into a single grey-robed group.
although I don't remember all the detail that he does (or didn't see enough of the season).

The another show was equally short lived, and had a very annoying (teenage?) girl in it who was an over-the-top self-centered princess-type... I remember one scene with an enormous hair dryer (but that may have been a Star Wars spoof)

Alas, I remember them only slightly better than I can describe them (memory being the second thing to go, you know). I've looked high and low but have been unable to unearth anything related to this.

They were quirky to the extent that they would probably have a limited audience, but one that would love it.

Then there is a third mystery in my mind - a movie that aired around 1979; I only saw it in black and white, it involved a man (who may have been a fugitive) who came across a rural cabin and set up housekeeping in it, while there was a woman living in it. There were only two characters in the whole film (except for a scene or two at the general store, where the storekeeper appeared). It was surprisingly powerful, especially for being that long and having only two characters.

Anybody got any ideas about these?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

speising

Postby speising » Wed May 08, 2013 10:19 pm UTC

Biliboy wrote:This was a sci fi movie seen in perhaps late eighties or nineties, the only scene I really remember is a guy asking a friend for some of the friend's calorie ration, as the guy had spent all of his on dessert or something and was hungry. The friend agreed and scanned his palm on a dispenser in the wall. The scenery reminded me of a mall with eighties sci fi stuff as decoration.

sounds like Logan's Run?

New User

Postby New User » Thu May 09, 2013 12:57 am UTC

ucim wrote:The another show was equally short lived, and had a very annoying (teenage?) girl in it who was an over-the-top self-centered princess-type... I remember one scene with an enormous hair dryer (but that may have been a Star Wars spoof)

That is definitely Spaceballs, a Star Wars spoof.

Here is the hair dryer scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1CYg0vIygE

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri May 10, 2013 1:26 am UTC

New User wrote:
ucim wrote:The another show was equally short lived, and had a very annoying (teenage?) girl in it who was an over-the-top self-centered princess-type... I remember one scene with an enormous hair dryer (but that may have been a Star Wars spoof)

That is definitely Spaceballs, a Star Wars spoof.

Here is the hair dryer scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1CYg0vIygE

Yes, that is the scene I remember. I saw SpaceBalls - it's funny as all getout. Ditto Galaxy Quest.

So, I guess that scene is not from the show I'm trying to remember. That show does (or did) exist however.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Puppyclaws

Postby Puppyclaws » Sat May 11, 2013 1:00 am UTC

CLD wrote:There was a movie I saw once. A man asked another person about the twin paradox saying something like "There were two twins. One went into space and came back and was younger / has aged less than his brother. Which was happier"? The person responds "The younger one." He responds "No, the one who stayed home had a full life, settled down, raised a family..." Does anyone remember what movie this is from?

This is from the movie "IQ."

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Thu May 23, 2013 6:31 pm UTC

Ok, this was one of your animated sword-and sorcery movies from the 70's or 80s. All I can remember is that it had a young hero main character and his companions which were a faun-type magical critter who could shapeshift and a gnome/dwarf/halfling type thing. (possibly two of them)
The big bad was some sort of shadow creature that was spreading darkness over the land and at the end when they went to the big bad's tower/castle thingy the faun guy tries to change into a giant eagle to carry everyone but barely manages to be a chicken for a few moments because the evil darkness is blocking his changeling powers.
During the final confrontation the young hero fights the shadow critter by standing close in front of the gnome dude who has a hat with a candle holder in it. This allows him to cast his own shadow on the far wall just as big as the shadow critter and they do battle in that way. I remember the wind blowing out the candle which almost dooms them before the gnome dude can relight it. When the shadow creature slashes at the hero's shadow he gets hurt as if struck directly.
Once the villan is beaten the darkness starts to recede and the castle goes kefloooey. Fortunately with the darkness broken the changeling has his full powers back and is able to change into a huge bird for them to escape on.

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:04 am UTC

Grop wrote:This seems to be la Soupe aux Choux. Quite the famous stuff.

I have never seen this film, but by the way he described it, I just knew it was a Louis de Funès film.

drclaw

Postby drclaw » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:34 pm UTC

Puppyclaws wrote:There is something animated. The animation style is somewhat fantastical. It had a narrator, I believe, possibly one who was involved in the story in a fourth-wall-breaking type way; I believe one character was named Bob, who was kind of a sidekick to the primary character, wore all black, and did not actually speak (but made noise). At some point, the characters are all falling; possibly a church is falling from the sky with them.

This may have been aired on Cartoon Network in the 90's and been heavily promoted.

it sounds like "Prometheus & Bob" from Nickelodeon's KaBlam!
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB0A5EB21C07F2747

drego642

Postby drego642 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:29 am UTC

This is something I'm trying to find out of a passing curiosity: I remember reading about a horror movie I saw at some point. I recall that I liked it, but I can't remember anything about it, other than the fact that I was surprised to learn that it was originally intended to be an X-Files episode. I also remember vaguely thinking that it was for the best that this was made into its own thing, being that it didn't quite fit with the X-Files' style.

JBJ

Postby JBJ » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:49 am UTC

Some quick google-fu indicates that it may be Final Destination
The film was based on a spec script intended for The X-Files, written by Reddick. X-Files writing partners Wong and Morgan were interested and agreed to re-write and direct a feature film of it, marking Wong's film directing debut.
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.

drego642

Postby drego642 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

JBJ wrote:Some quick google-fu indicates that it may be Final Destination
The film was based on a spec script intended for The X-Files, written by Reddick. X-Files writing partners Wong and Morgan were interested and agreed to re-write and direct a feature film of it, marking Wong's film directing debut.

I need to refine my Google-fu form, then. I've gotten rusty. Anyhow, yes, that was it, thanks! I got tired of this series, but I remember now that the first one I did actually like.

sarahthegeek

Postby sarahthegeek » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:49 am UTC

Okay, I'm trying to remember a science-fiction film I saw many years ago. I'm pretty sure it was set in present day and was about a group of people from Earth who somehow got caught up in space travel and aliens and such. They might have been trying to help save a race of aliens, but I'm not exactly sure; they could have just been spending the entire movie trying to get back to Earth. Anyway, I think they spend a fair amount of time on an alien planet and they meet this one guy who is very nice and says he's there to help but later on in the movie betrays them to the bad guys and it turns out he'd been double timing them the entire time.

The only sort of specific detail I can remember from the movie is one scene where the woman from the group is in a jail cell on the alien planet and is angrily shouting that she's a citizen of the United States of America and that she has rights (she might've specifically said she had the right to a phonecall?) and they can't just imprison her like this. Then one of the alien guards comes by and says that on their planet she only has the right to a fruit salad and he gives her a thing of fruit salad and leaves.

I would've been in elementary school/early middle school when I watched this, so it couldn't have been more than PG or PG-13. It was more lighthearted and comedic than it was dark and gritty, i.e. more in the vein of, say, Galaxy Quest, Spaceballs, Hitchhiker's Guide, or something like that. And I remember watching it at home and not in a theatre, so it could've been a TV movie. Any help?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:26 am UTC

It couldn't be Mom & Dad Save The World, could it?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104905/

Puppyclaws

Postby Puppyclaws » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

drclaw wrote:
Puppyclaws wrote:There is something animated. The animation style is somewhat fantastical. It had a narrator, I believe, possibly one who was involved in the story in a fourth-wall-breaking type way; I believe one character was named Bob, who was kind of a sidekick to the primary character, wore all black, and did not actually speak (but made noise). At some point, the characters are all falling; possibly a church is falling from the sky with them.

it sounds like "Prometheus & Bob" from Nickelodeon's KaBlam!
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB0A5EB21C07F2747

That...is surprisingly accurate in terms of being a match to what I described. And yet it's not it. It makes me wonder if I didn't combine some bits of this with what I am thinking of; I am more certain that the character I am thinking of wore all black than that he was named Bob and didn't speak. Also, what I am thinking of was a single thing, a movie type thing rather than something produced in serial quality. But I appreciate your impressive knowledge of animation, and wonder how much of this thing I don't remember mixed with the thing I described above!

teenidle

Postby teenidle » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:57 am UTC

Okay, so, umm this should be easy*. It's a version of Alice in Wonderland where the caterpillar tells Alice he's gonna make one side of her shorter and the other one taller since she can't decide what she wants.
I saw it as a kid, and as far as I know, it isn't the Disney version or the 1999 one.
*IF such a thing exists. I might be imagining things.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:32 pm UTC

Well, there's a limited number of possibilities. It could well be the 1985 version.

sparkyb

Postby sparkyb » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:53 pm UTC

Ok, this is really vague so I'm not sure if anyone will be able to identify this, but I've had this fuzzy image of a scene stuck in my head and I can't remember what it is from. It was some movie or TV show and one character knows a secret about another and threatens to expose that secret to basically blackmail them into not leaving or something like that, but it sort of backfires because the other character tell them "do you understand, you scared me" or something very similar. Any ideas?

Doffer

Postby Doffer » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:58 am UTC

Hey there. I'm looking for the name for a past tv show. It wasn't really good but it drives me crazy not knowing.

It had a western feel to it, though it was set present day I think. In a desert-like place.
The main guy lived in some windmill or something I think, wore a cowboy hat and had a big mustache which made him look like Tom Selleck, or a Richard Dean Anderson with a mustache.

I don't think its that old, think it was filmed in the early 2000.

Other information about the show is that there was a hot air balloon which the main guy owned and he .. collected lightning or something.

Thank you in advance if anyone can tell me what this show was called

mojo12

Postby mojo12 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

Was it actually Richard Dean Anderson in a mustache? Sounds like the series "Legend" from the 90's.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:45 pm UTC

10 or so years ago, me and my brother remember watching a show but have no idea what it was - ind of a Power Rangersy sci-fi kids show where the main character traveled around with his grandpa and a troll doll doing things. One of the things we really remember about it is that in one of the last episodes it turned out that the main villain wasn't actually a bad guy, but the macguffin collection that happened all season was part of the grandpa's evil plan. I think in one episode they go to a mushroom planet, and in another a kind of toy world. There was also this part that I distinctly remember where the protagonist and his troll doll are locked in a cage, and the protagonist melts through the bars with his hands.

This has been bugging us for years, thanks for any help :)
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

drclaw

Postby drclaw » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:10 or so years ago, me and my brother remember watching a show but have no idea what it was - ind of a Power Rangersy sci-fi kids show where the main character traveled around with his grandpa and a troll doll doing things. One of the things we really remember about it is that in one of the last episodes it turned out that the main villain wasn't actually a bad guy, but the macguffin collection that happened all season was part of the grandpa's evil plan. I think in one episode they go to a mushroom planet, and in another a kind of toy world. There was also this part that I distinctly remember where the protagonist and his troll doll are locked in a cage, and the protagonist melts through the bars with his hands.

This has been bugging us for years, thanks for any help :)

Sounds a lot like "Josh Kirby... Time Warrior!". Not sure about the troll doll bit, though.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”