Things you remember watching but can't remember the name of

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

jh96

Re: Things you remember watching but can't remember the name

Postby jh96 » Wed May 30, 2012 11:46 am UTC

Hi All,

Wondering if you could help - I've had this on my mind for years, but never found the right forum, until now!

Details are quite vague, as this was some time ago, but:

1. Would've been mid-to-late 90s
2. Cartoon / Anime, with American accents (but I can't remember if these were dubbed over Japanese, or it was an american show)
3. TV show, not a movie
4. I remember there being a girl, younger, and a giant man / monster, and they'd interact and live in the city, etc.
5. Not really for kids, as I didn't understand any of the themes, more for adults - nothing for kids, darker and more serious undertones
6. Shown either on SBS / ABC here in Australia, and usually pretty late at night

I know it's not a lot to go on, but if someone could make a few suggestions, that would be great!

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:47 pm UTC

Big O???
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

New User

Postby New User » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:13 pm UTC

jh96 wrote:Hi All,

Wondering if you could help - I've had this on my mind for years, but never found the right forum, until now!

Details are quite vague, as this was some time ago, but:

1. Would've been mid-to-late 90s
2. Cartoon / Anime, with American accents (but I can't remember if these were dubbed over Japanese, or it was an american show)
3. TV show, not a movie
4. I remember there being a girl, younger, and a giant man / monster, and they'd interact and live in the city, etc.
5. Not really for kids, as I didn't understand any of the themes, more for adults - nothing for kids, darker and more serious undertones
6. Shown either on SBS / ABC here in Australia, and usually pretty late at night

I know it's not a lot to go on, but if someone could make a few suggestions, that would be great!

The Maxx???

McGrupp

Postby McGrupp » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:36 am UTC

Something with an invisible creature who could turn to stone when he was in the dark or something? and he kidnapped kids, I think. might have been a TV show or a movie - it was on TV, late at night, sometime in the early 90's when I was young.

t1mm01994

Postby t1mm01994 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:44 pm UTC

erm, I don't remember watching this, but by what I've seen, it's somewhat classic but I can't find the title:

JBJ

Postby JBJ » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:53 pm UTC

That's the American version of "Whose Line is it Anyway?"
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.

doublebackslash

Postby doublebackslash » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:05 am UTC

Okay, I'm looking for a documentary
It was...
About the discovery of the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation
Bookended by a black and white clip where, if memory serves, they revealed the noise that was recorded by the Horn Antenna

It ...
Highlighted how the discovery disproved steady state theory
was NOT Stephen Hawking's Universe
focused heavily on the whole discovery process. That was the point of the entire documentary. Even talked about how they tried to humanely ship the pigeons away from the antenna, then had to shoot them because they were homing pigeons.

Anyone?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:18 am UTC

I encountered this GIF somewhere and am curious regarding its source. Any ideas?

Vanguard

I require a movie detective.

Postby Vanguard » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:59 am UTC

Looking for the source of a movie quote.
And by movie I mean a series of animations in the 90's. I don't think it was Pixar because it was aimed above my age at the time. It had this wonderful music number at the end (It might have been the end) that mesmerized me, and I need to find it again.
However I can only remember a single quote from one of the shorts. It involved some spies and an older lady shouting "He sucker punched me, that wiener!" I also remember a character's scanner calling the guy a "Moron".

I'm afraid that's all I have.

I've tried Yahoo Answers but I've noticed a trend where any question with 0 answers after a few hours, tends to never get any answers.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Re: I require a movie detective.

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:30 am UTC

It's probably Sherlock Holmes, or based on Sherlock Holmes.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:50 am UTC

So it was entirely animated? I can't really help the only thing I remember with detective and animated is the pink panther and some animes.
But for clarification, was it a number of shorts or were there movies? Do you remember anything about the lead or the setting?

drego642

Postby drego642 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:35 pm UTC

I'm trying to think of the name of one of the movies we watched in my Italian class in high school, but it's not coming to me. Maybe one of you could help me out?

Here's what I remember: It was about a school teacher from northern Italy who gets sent to teach in southern Italy (it may have been the other way around, but I don't think so) and has a hard time overcoming social and cultural differences with the students, as well as dealing with some of the other teachers, but eventually, he connects and bonds with the kids. I don't quite remember how it ends, or much else apart from that, and I seem to remember one or some of the kids being involved with a gang. I also think that, at some point, a background track of Louis Armstrong's rendition of "What a Wonderful Word" is played in one scene.

Edit: Solved. It was, "Io speriamo che me la cavo" or, to us, "Ciao, Professore!"

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:29 pm UTC

It was CGI, If I recall. Thus the Pixar comparison.
It was a series of shorts. I have very little memory of it, which is a damn shame because I remember the music near the end.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:29 am UTC

Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century ??

I can't think of any other detective show that I watched during that time. I don't actually remember that show at all however.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:16 am UTC

Wasn't it, and I don't recall anything "detective" related.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:50 pm UTC

Vanguard wrote:Wasn't it, and I don't recall anything "detective" related.

Unfortunately you used the phrase 'movie detective' in the topic title, and people will read that, not read the original post and then just post movie detectives. I suggest editing the topic title to reflect what you're actually asking for, say "Need help finding a movie title."

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:55 pm UTC

it wasn't ReBoot was it?

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:44 pm UTC

Not with spies, older ladies and musical numbers. Unless I am misremembering ReBoot.

maja

Postby maja » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:49 am UTC

This is a re-post from two years back.. sorry, still haven't figured it out, hope someone can help!

So I think this is one film - but I remember two scenes, so it might be two different films! - possibly an omnibus type affair, set in NY in what feels like in the 80s.

Scene No 1: A young couple is moving in together for the first time. They are all lovey-dovey etc., unpacking boxes and the like. At one point the girl is unpacking the books and putting them on the shelves, but the guy spots her writing in her/his names in the books before she puts them up. He confronts her and she says something about possibly breaking up in the future and making it easier to separate their books. Of course the guy freaks out and leaves (maybe wandering the streets of NY..)

Scene No 2: Is weirder - also in an apartment a young couple - but then you realise they are actually brother and sister. A bathtub is involved, its one of those tiny flats where the tub is in the hallway next to the cooker or something. I think the brother wants the girl to have a bath with him "like they normally do", but she is trying to tell him she wants to move on and not do what they are doing any more.

Does this ring a bell to anyone?

Postby AvatarIII » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:00 pm UTC

There's a movie I just remembered in which there if an assassination attempt on a plane possibly, in which the weapon is a little (pink) plastic gun that fires little discs, set in America, and i'm suddenly thinking Ralph Fiennes might be in it possibly?

jaap

Postby jaap » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:14 am UTC

AvatarIII wrote:There's a movie I just remembered in which there if an assassination attempt on a plane possibly, in which the weapon is a little (pink) plastic gun that fires little discs, set in America, and i'm suddenly thinking Ralph Fiennes might be in it possibly?

The only plastic gun I know of is in In the Line of Fire, where John Malkovitch's character uses one.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:48 pm UTC

Ralph Fiennes summons The Avengers to mind, but I have blotted most of the details of that film from memory.

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:41 am UTC

jaap wrote:
AvatarIII wrote:There's a movie I just remembered in which there if an assassination attempt on a plane possibly, in which the weapon is a little (pink) plastic gun that fires little discs, set in America, and i'm suddenly thinking Ralph Fiennes might be in it possibly?

The only plastic gun I know of is in In the Line of Fire, where John Malkovitch's character uses one.

That's probably it, I'm probably confusing Fiennes with Malkovich. Thanks.

Blackdomino

Postby Blackdomino » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:47 am UTC

lostfan815 wrote:Ok, so I have 2

1. There was this horror movie that had about 10 people in a big house and they were dieing but it was like from the 60s and really cheesy, and at one point the main par of the house becomes like the ocean, but it was SOOOO fake, like paper waves and I can't really explain it, but yeah, It may of had hill in the title, like house on haunted hill,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0171363/maindetails
This?
"It's not that I condone fascism, or any 'ism' for that matter. ' Isms' in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in any 'ism' they should believe in themselves." - Ferris Bueller

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:01 am UTC

here's one
I think it's a British (possibly irish, but i'm also leaning towards a Scottish setting, but I'm pretty sure it's not American) film from the 90s (late 90s I think, because I remember some not completely shit CGI, and it wasn't a high budget movie, but from my memory the fashion in the movie is very 90s), it's kind of a sci-fi-rom-com in which there's this "booth" in which you can design your perfect partner.
This girl finds this booth, and designs a guy, but something goes wrong and SHE IS TRANSFORMED INTO THIS GUY.
I think "he" has short bleach blonde/almost white hair.
"he/she" then confides in "his/her" best friend, and then they start to fall in love with each other.
that's really all I remember.
for some reason I thought it might have been called Virtuosity, or Virtuality, but it's definitely not, so it may be something similar.

edit: never mind I found it http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0164221/

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:12 pm UTC

I remember this parody of a workplace safety video I saw once, I think it might have been German,
I remember it had someone being impaled by a forklift truck, and possibly waving a chainsaw round at the same time. that's pretty much all I remember though.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:45 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:I remember this parody of a workplace safety video I saw once, I think it might have been German,
I remember it had someone being impaled by a forklift truck, and possibly waving a chainsaw round at the same time. that's pretty much all I remember though.

And now I really want to see that too.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

jaap

Postby jaap » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:46 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:I remember this parody of a workplace safety video I saw once, I think it might have been German,

I'm pretty sure you can just find that one on YouTube if you search for Parody Forklift Safety Video. (I can't right now, as it's blocked).

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:13 pm UTC

Yep, that does the trick. I'd link, but I'm not sure which one exactly is the original.

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:32 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Yep, that does the trick. I'd link, but I'm not sure which one exactly is the original.

lol why didn't I just google it, for some reason I just assumed it was really obscure.

ShadedKnight

Postby ShadedKnight » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:03 pm UTC

Ok, so there's this animated show that I remember watching a little of when it was on, most likely in the last 15 years. I remember it being 3D and maybe some sort of computer-reality type thing. The thing that sticks out to my mind is seeing a purple cube appear and take the main characters into a sort of a challenge, and I'm not sure if that was a recurring thing or just a one-time deal. Thanks.

New User

Postby New User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:51 pm UTC

ShadedKnight wrote:Ok, so there's this animated show that I remember watching a little of when it was on, most likely in the last 15 years. I remember it being 3D and maybe some sort of computer-reality type thing. The thing that sticks out to my mind is seeing a purple cube appear and take the main characters into a sort of a challenge, and I'm not sure if that was a recurring thing or just a one-time deal. Thanks.
That is definitely ReBoot, where the purple game cubes would appear. I'm pretty sure it was a recurring thing.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:45 am UTC

Someone was telling me the other day of an utterly obscene (by North American standards, at least) orange juice commercial that aired in Austria. Any ideas what that may be?

ShadedKnight

Postby ShadedKnight » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:58 am UTC

New User wrote:
ShadedKnight wrote:Ok, so there's this animated show that I remember watching a little of when it was on, most likely in the last 15 years. I remember it being 3D and maybe some sort of computer-reality type thing. The thing that sticks out to my mind is seeing a purple cube appear and take the main characters into a sort of a challenge, and I'm not sure if that was a recurring thing or just a one-time deal. Thanks.
That is definitely ReBoot, where the purple game cubes would appear. I'm pretty sure it was a recurring thing.

Wow, that was quick and accurate. Just looking at the pictures from a google search this was perfect, thank you very much.

quantumcat42

Postby quantumcat42 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:04 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Someone was telling me the other day of an utterly obscene (by North American standards, at least) orange juice commercial that aired in Austria. Any ideas what that may be?

This, maybe?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:24 pm UTC

Yikes! No, the commercial in question apparently featured "real" women.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:16 pm UTC

Are you sure it was Austrian? I seem to remember an obscene juice commercial (but can't find it immediately), but I don't think it's Austrian.

edit: I found this Russian one (NSFW), but it wasn't the one I was thinking about.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:31 pm UTC

Well, this is going interesting places.

Austrian is what I was told. Or at least, the commercial was viewable in Austria.

quantumcat42

Postby quantumcat42 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:05 pm UTC

I'm thinking of a short animated film that's told in reverse, from 3 or 4 perspectives -- as in, you see the end of the story first, from the perspective of one character, then the events immediately before that from the perspective of another, building back toward the beginning. It's centered around a tower, possibly Arabian, and involves a thief breaking in and coming to a comically bad end. Ringing any bells?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it: The Balcony

New User

Postby New User » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:31 pm UTC

Here's a really obscure one. A few years ago, I saw a black-and-white video that was probably from the 1950s. It was a US government propaganda video about the dangers of nuclear and chemical warfare, a real Cold War paranoia type thing. It was a short video, certainly no longer than 30 minutes, but possibly as short as 5 or 10 minutes. It was probably played at the cinema in those days before the feature film, or in between a double feature or something. Or maybe it was shown to schoolchildren and/or public workers, I don't know. The only thing I remember specific was footage of nuclear explosions and at the beginning the word FEAR in enormous letters. I am pretty sure it was not the famous "Duck and Cover" film, this one was more serious and the target audience seemed to be adults. The word FEAR is definitely the most memorable part. I thought I would be able to find this easily on the internet but have had no luck.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”