Avengers: Infinity War

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Re: Avengers: Infinity War

Postby mosc » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:36 pm UTC

14,000,605... is it possible this number was on purpose by a mathematician who worked out the combination of possibilities of half of the super heroes getting put in the soulstone and setting it with exactly the right half? N! possibilities plus this or that... I dunno. It's possible that's the right number but it does seem rather round.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:44 pm UTC

mosc wrote:14,000,605... is it possible this number was on purpose by a mathematician who worked out the combination of possibilities of half of the super heroes getting put in the soulstone and setting it with exactly the right half? N! possibilities plus this or that... I dunno. It's possible that's the right number but it does seem rather round.

I did try some things to see if I could reverse engineer the number, but didn't get anywhere.

OP Tipping

Postby OP Tipping » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:44 am UTC

It only just now occurs to me that Thanos actually went backwards because of Loki's exploits on Earth. He gave Loki the scepter containing the Mind Stone so that he could fetch the Space Stone. Loki failed to secure the latter and lost the former!

Given Ebony Maw's comments about there being consequences for failing Thanos, it's a wonder he didn't just kill Loki in A:IW as soon as he handed over the Tesseract.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:25 am UTC

Possible Doctor Strange stopped looking when he'd found a way to win, rather than keep looking and risk forgetting which one it had been.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:06 pm UTC

OP Tipping wrote:It only just now occurs to me that Thanos actually went backwards because of Loki's exploits on Earth. He gave Loki the scepter containing the Mind Stone so that he could fetch the Space Stone. Loki failed to secure the latter and lost the former!

Given Ebony Maw's comments about there being consequences for failing Thanos, it's a wonder he didn't just kill Loki in A:IW as soon as he handed over the Tesseract.

Yes, he lost control of one Stone, but he also got two Stones into close proximity, which may have helped trigger the others resurfacing. If the Stones want to be unified, then getting enough together is a good way to motivate the others to become more active.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:49 pm UTC

OP Tipping wrote:It only just now occurs to me that Thanos actually went backwards because of Loki's exploits on Earth. He gave Loki the scepter containing the Mind Stone so that he could fetch the Space Stone. Loki failed to secure the latter and lost the former!

Yeah. It makes sense that he views Loki as kind of a worthless failure. Though in fairness, at the time, I don't think he had the gauntlet, so it might have been that the space stone was much more essential to his plans. He does utilize teleportation extremely extensively once he has it, making it a very desirable early stone to acquire.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:27 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:

Yeah. It makes sense that he views Loki as kind of a worthless failure. Though in fairness, at the time, I don't think he had the gauntlet, so it might have been that the space stone was much more essential to his plans. He does utilize teleportation extremely extensively once he has it, making it a very desirable early stone to acquire.

In the Comics, not that the other stones are weak by any means, but their effects are very limited if you don't possess the Power Stone to operate as a reactor for the rest, to power their abilities and make them greater - moving about a solar system becomes moving about the universe, affecting one person's mind becomes affecting an army's and so on.

Since we never saw him grab the Power Stone nor did we see any of the stones really utilized without it, it's hard to say if that holds true in the MCU.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:05 pm UTC

Spoiler:
what would have happened if Hela, Goddess of Death, hadn't been stopped? I bet she could have beaten Thanos before he had all the infinity stones. Maybe she wouldn't like him killing half the universe that she wanted to rule. Or perhaps they would team up. I feel like she'd be threatened by him though.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

We'll win, but not everyone will get out

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:19 pm UTC

Why would they need to fight? I think they'd get along famously.

SDK

Postby SDK » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:24 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:Goddess of Death

Or his love interest.

(This is what I was expecting when she was first introduced in Thor Ragnarok)
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”