New Mario animated movie

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Ranbot

New Mario animated movie

Postby Ranbot » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:56 pm UTC

Don't hold your breath, but Nintendo recently inked a deal Illumination Studios (makers of Despicable Me) for an animated Mario movie.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/nintendo-is-fin ... 1820435189

I can imagine a movie in the Mario "world" (see what I did there!) that mainly appeals to kids, but bearable [or even enjoyable] for adults if they can land a few adult-level jokes and a well-placed tugs on the Nintendo nostalgia strings... if done right, of course. (i.e. nothing like the 1993 Mario Bros. movie flop).

However, this Mario movie announcement also makes me think how much better Zelda and Metroid franchises seem for movie-making material... or preferably a TV/streaming series backed by a group like Netflix, Amazon, HBO, AMC, etc. I'll wish them luck with Mario, and in the meantime hope for Zelda and Metroid.

Jorpho

Re: New Mario animated movie

Postby Jorpho » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:52 pm UTC

Ehh... These are the same people who made Minions and Sing. I envision that the product won't be outright awful, but I have zero confidence they can pull off anything that isn't instantly forgettable, much less clever. (The 1993 movie was definitely not good, but at least it was trying to do something.)

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:47 pm UTC

Yeah, Illumination's output ranges from bad to middling-okay at best. This is not particularly auspicious.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

Ranbot

Postby Ranbot » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:09 pm UTC

My expectations for a Mario movie are very low. I am more hopeful this could lead to other Nintendo franchises getting a chance at the screen, particularly Zelda and Metroid.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:05 pm UTC

Ranbot wrote:...makes me think how much better Zelda... franchises seem for movie-making material... or preferably a TV/streaming series

Well exCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSE me Princes!
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:08 pm UTC

Hmmmm. I can't say I'm looking forward to this. Exaggerated Italian accents seem unavoidable if Mario and Luigi are going to actually speak onscreen. And we all know how kind children can be when they are exposed to stereotypes of their classmates' ethnicities.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:15 am UTC

As someone of Italian heritage myself (see last name), I wonder how many kids will even have any idea their classmates are Italian without explicitly asking. My experience was that of just another white kid, and I have no idea what various European heritages any of my white classmates were of, and I don’t recall anybody actually caring about it.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”