Better Call Saul

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Sean Quixote

Better Call Saul

Postby Sean Quixote » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:22 pm UTC

Who else is sooooo excited about it? If you haven't seen it yet it's really great so far, with all the drama and suspense that Breaking Bad already had four episodes in and twice the dark humor! Spoiler alert, Slippin' Jimmy McGill isn't quite "Saul Goodman" yet, but he's quickly becoming him, with the help of some of the other characters on the show... :D

Spoiler:
The very first scene of the premier was the perfect opening for the series. I just love how they began it all with a little flash-forward to BB, and all of the following episodes so far have also had flashbacks even further into Jimmy 's past... and maybe, just maybe next week will have one into Mike's past? At least I hope so... either way it's gonna be awesome. :mrgreen:

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Re: Better Call Saul

Postby Isaac Hill » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:06 am UTC

I saw an ad for this show with Vince Gilligan described the premise along the lines of, "What problem does this guy have, where becoming Saul Goodman is the solution?". I've been liking it so far.

4 of the first 5 episodes have followed a similar naming pattern. Mijo, Nacho, Hero, and Five-O are all two syllable titles ending in the letter O. The only exeption...
Spoiler:
...features Saul printing ads on seniors' desert cups. I assume that episode was meant to be called Jell-O, but they couldn't use the trademarked name. I would have prefered Jellÿ.

The only episode I felt a little let down by was Five-O.
Spoiler:
Mike's story was interesting, and Jonathan Banks did really well showing emotional sides of Mike that we hadn't seen before. But, is wasn't as much fun to watch. When we see Walt or Saul/Jimmy try to pull something, it usually isn't thought out all the way through, and there's some tension as they try to improvise.

Mike's plan went off without a hitch. The patience, thoughtfulness, and professionalism that's made him such an impressive supporting character means that it's hard to make other people seem like a reasonable threat to him.

I tried looking up the actresses who played Mike's granddaughter on BB (Kaija Bales) and BCS (Faith Healey) to get an idea of how long ago the prequel is set, but didn't see any birthdates.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:15 am UTC

Season 2 started a couple weeks ago. Ep 3 airs tomorrow (Feb 29). Spoiler for Ep 1:
Spoiler:
During the B/W cold open, our protagonist carves "SG was here" in the wall. No other characters are expected to understand this message, it's just for him. This means that he thinks of himself as Saul Goodman, not Jimmy McGill.

Now, I wonder if Saul even needed to go into hiding. The tipping point was when he couldn't reach Huell, and assumed shit was hitting the fan. But, Huell was safely in a motel room on orders of Hank and Gomie. I think Hank and Gomie's investigation was unofficial, meaning that no one else in the DEA would know to look for Huell, or his associates. The LEOs outside probably wouldn't be privy to details of the case, either. Was there anyone alive at the end of BB who could connect Saul to anything besdies Kuby (the other member of Saul's A-Team) and Jesse? Saul Goodman threw away his acarer for nothing. Now, we get to see how Jimmy McGill throws away his.
Alleged "poems"
are not poetry

Mikemk

Postby Mikemk » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:37 pm UTC

Isaac Hill wrote:Season 2 started a couple weeks ago. Ep 3 airs tomorrow (Feb 29). Spoiler for Ep 1:
Spoiler:
During the B/W cold open, our protagonist carves "SG was here" in the wall. No other characters are expected to understand this message, it's just for him. This means that he thinks of himself as Saul Goodman, not Jimmy McGill.

Now, I wonder if Saul even needed to go into hiding. The tipping point was when he couldn't reach Huell, and assumed shit was hitting the fan. But, Huell was safely in a motel room on orders of Hank and Gomie. I think Hank and Gomie's investigation was unofficial, meaning that no one else in the DEA would know to look for Huell, or his associates. The LEOs outside probably wouldn't be privy to details of the case, either. Was there anyone alive at the end of BB who could connect Saul to anything besdies Kuby (the other member of Saul's A-Team) and Jesse? Saul Goodman threw away his acarer for nothing. Now, we get to see how Jimmy McGill throws away his.

Spoiler:
Walter's wife knew about him. Can't think of anyone else.

Spoiler:
Even though nothing's happened yet, I already feel sorry for Jimmy's girlfriend.
Computer specs:
Spoiler:
Intel i5-750 (OC 3.33 GHz)
8GB (OC 1333 MHz) (2GB HDD cache)
NVIDIA GT 740 (OC 1149 MHz) 4GB (OC 841 MHz)
480GB SSD (120 HDD cache)
2x2TB HDD (not RAID)
Windows 10
Linux Mint in VM

ivvit

Postby ivvit » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:43 am UTC

I heard that it's a great show but haven't started to watch yet! I have to catch up :D
check my website about brennholz http://www.rohstoffversand.de/

plytho
¡This cheese is burning me!

Re: Better Call Seoul

Postby plytho » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:52 pm UTC

Season 3 started.

Spoiler:
Chuck is the worst.

Mike is the best. I wish I could do anything as diligently as he does his job.

I hope things don't end up bad for Kim Wexler. That scene where she is impressing her client without even realizing it makes me afraid this is like a height before a fall.
Then again it might have only been there to show how Jimmy's meddling spoils her success, because she obviously can't enjoy it fully.
he him his

plytho

Postby plytho » Fri May 19, 2017 8:27 am UTC

How did a spinoff about the silly lawyer from breaking bad get this good?
The fifth episode of this season (with the court case) was a wonderful piece of drama.

Spoiler:
It’s amazing how brutally the relationship between the two brothers is laid bare in that room. I how much of it is the writing or the acting but I think Chuck is one of the worst characters I still sort of care about (through Jimmy). When Joffrey dies in GoT there’s a pleasant feeling of revenge. What Jimmy does to Chuck here isn’t revenge. It’s his last resort after he’s tried everything to get accepted by his brother. It’s so sad and so avoidable. I like how they showed how quiet the courtroom was at the end. Nobody won.
he him his

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Sun May 21, 2017 10:36 pm UTC

I'm liking all of Saul's bits so far, but have mixed feelings about Mike's. When Mike's executing a plan we don't understand yet, it's fasciniating watching his seemingly inexplicable actions come together. But when he's doing something more straightforward, like tailing someone, the same slow, deliberate pace can feel like a bit of a slog.
Alleged "poems"
are not poetry

plytho

Postby plytho » Mon May 22, 2017 9:19 pm UTC

I don't really mind the slow mike scenes. I do feel there's less of an arc in mike's story so I can understand that his scenes can be bothering people. Especially when you're waiting for the more evolving Saul story.
he him his

plytho

Postby plytho » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:23 pm UTC

I had sort of forgotten this was a prequel and we know where Jimmy will end up but even taking that into account what he does in the second to last episode of this season
Spoiler:
messing up the life of that nice old lady
is just terrible.
he him his

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:29 pm UTC

End of Season3
Spoiler:
pytho - I wonder if the guilt over screwing over that old lady, and what it cost Jimmy to set things right, informs his decision to become a criminal lawyer. Better to serve a clientele you won't mind throwing under the bus if you have to.

Jimmy mentioned Chuck working by lamp-light. He had photos of a lantern resting on a stack of papers. The finale was titled "Lantern". Everything foreshadowed Chuck's house burning down. But, I had no idea it would be a suicide attempt. I like that the show can surprise me with something I knew was coming.
Alleged "poems"
are not poetry

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”