Star Citizen

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Star Citizen

Postby Ralith The Third » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:20 pm UTC

Two years is too far away.

It's being made by the same guy who made Freelancer. It looks like it will be awesome - and it broke 7 mil crowdfunding.
http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/ is the main site, with branches to everything else. I believe you can still pledge for benefits.

I'm thinking of starting a clan/alliance/group for when it comes out.

Edit: I went ahead and made the clan. http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/forums/topic/tungsten-spiral-recruitment-thread/. Combat group. In it for the sake of honing their own skills to perfection. Mature. Not highly commited to anything, necesarily, but interested in self-improvement.
Last edited by Ralith The Third on Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Omni.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Re: Star Citizen

Postby eculc » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:06 pm UTC

This is true. two years is too much.

I haven't actually seen this before now, but wow looks cool.
Last edited by eculc on Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:03 am UTC

So I did what I thought about. Link in main post.
Omni.

Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Woopate » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:04 am UTC

When I first heard about this game, the feature lists basically sounded like my idle musings in the company of friends of the game I'd make if I won the lottery. Every feature as I had it sketched out in my head. On one hand that makes me nervous, for the "too good to be true" factor, on the other it makes me very very excited, and push my hand a little deeper into my wallet to see if I can't squeeze out a hardcore rig by the time it launches.

Jofur

Postby Jofur » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:44 pm UTC

Don't get mad please!

I just want to know what will set this apart from Eve.
Everybody is doing it and nobody knows why.

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:09 pm UTC

Single player option, much more immersive combat, much lighter on the industrial side, better graphics.

Basically it's a merge of Crysis 3 (graphics and game engine), EV:Nova (gameplay focus, moddability), and EvE (Spaceships online ermagerd!)

EvE
Omni.

Jofur

Postby Jofur » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:50 pm UTC

Okay I see. I kind of like the industrial side. I was working on manufacturing to keep fueling the ever growing war machine that is piracy... hehe
Everybody is doing it and nobody knows why.

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:50 am UTC

Hangar module is out.

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Omni.

Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Woopate » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:11 am UTC

damnit just as I got to work.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:12 am UTC

With the latest update, I went ahead and upgraded my pledge to the 'Advanced Hunter'. I've been eying the Avenger for a while but wasn't quite ready to pledge for an Aurora game package plus a $60 ship, being able to get the Avenger with it's own game package was very welcome.

I even got the Hangar module to work on my relatively ancient computer so I could sit in my Avenger's Cockpit and make pew-pew noises :D
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

allhisdarkmaterials

Postby allhisdarkmaterials » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:43 pm UTC

Hey there. Another future citizen here :)

The ship I REALLY wanted was the Idris class. Holy moly what a piece of hardware! Sadly, I lack the money to spare and the lackluster mentality of shelling out four digits for an online game (at least in one go). But I have a goal. Sadly I am kind of a loner in the online world, as I don't work well in concerted actions (I have the feeling that my hearing is abandoning me for some reason and it takes a great deal of concentration to communicate via headset). BUT I will be available for freelance work, and I would like to consider your outfit a friend.

Fly safe.

johnie104

Postby johnie104 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:45 pm UTC

So, this game has 36 Million pledged.... What the actual fuck.

Can anybody explain to me how the pledging works? If you give more money you get a better ship? Isn't that kinda like pay-to-win?

Anyway, besides that, it looks really REALLY cool and with that kind of budget I believe they can actually pull it off.
Signature removed because of it's blinding awesomeness.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

The main thing pledging gets you isn't supposed to be the ship you start the game with, but early access to features like the hangar module and upcoming dog-fighting module. The ships are just a bonus for supporting development.

When the game launches, you won't be able to pay real money for ships, you'll have to use currency you earn in-game to purchase everything. You'll also be able to purchase the in-game currency for real money, but only a capped amount each week/month.

The developers have said that the pledge prices for ships are inflated relative to what they will cost in the in-game currency. If you just want to jump-start your progress in the game, it will likely be cheaper to wait.

They really want to prevent pay-to-win and have put a lot of thought into allowing people to put money into the game without it becoming pay-to-win.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:28 pm UTC

So, is there a game yet, or just a hanger you can walk around and look at space ships in?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:49 am UTC

Just the hangar. The Dogfighting Module was supposed to be released this month, but has been pushed back.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Woopate » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:32 am UTC

But it's a very nice hangar.

Ranbot

Postby Ranbot » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:10 pm UTC

*casts resurrect*

Is anyone out there playing Star Citizen? This game totally fell off my radar after the Kickstarter campaign smashed every record. I know there is a playable Alpha (version 3.3) that may be as good as many "final" games. Apparently the studio is continuing to rake in boatloads of crowd funded cash and developing the hell out of this game... Including some unique game play for the genre and slightly scary stuff like projecting players real facial expressions onto their avatar's face in real time. But 5+ years of development and still Alpha?

So, does anyone here play this and can give a report? Thoughts? Is this game going anywhere or is this another studio with too much cash and vision to actually get anything done?

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 pm UTC

I don't like the comparison to DNF for games that haven't been in development 10+ years and haven't had a mid-development developer change. Star Citizen has spent a lot of time in development, but plenty of well received games have spent longer (although, that is becoming less true every year).

That said, the feature and scope creep is real af. When I pledged, all I wanted was a spiritual successor to Wing Commander & Freelancer with modern (as of 2012) graphics. I never signed up for all this other stuff that's been added since. I mean, it all seems pretty cool, but I definitely feel like I would have been happier if the crowdfunding campaign had made like a tenth as much and the game had released as just a space dogfighting game in space.

I jump on every major update to see what's up, mostly just playing the dogfighting arena mode. I'd say the current state is what other devs would have called Beta before the flanderization of that term to mean 'demo'. Although that's not quite accurate since they haven't locked in the final feature list yet. A bunch of game-systems are in place, they work, there's nothing obviously missing from the game-experience despite the fact that more stuff is planned. It's clearly not in a release state though, still plenty of bugs and a need of optimization. If they froze features and content right now, they could probably release a complete seeming game late next year and I would consider that I had gotten more than my money's worth out of it.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

Ranbot

Postby Ranbot » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:32 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:I don't like the comparison to DNF... That said, the feature and scope creep is real af.

Scope creep was part of DNF's early problems too... but Star Citizen seems further along if they have a playable demo and more cash coming in by selling ships [...and dreams :P ].

EdgarJPublius wrote:When I pledged, all I wanted was a spiritual successor to Wing Commander & Freelancer with modern (as of 2012) graphics. I never signed up for all this other stuff...they haven't locked in the final feature list yet. A bunch of game-systems are in place, they work, there's nothing obviously missing from the game-experience despite the fact that more stuff is planned. It's clearly not in a release state though... If they froze features and content right now, they could probably release a complete seeming game late next year and I would consider that I had gotten more than my money's worth out of it.

I didn't pledge, but I would agree. Get the original vision for the game playable and work on the additional features/content after. Putting real facial expressions on avatars goes in the "awesome idea, but totally unnecessary" category that would annoy me if I had given them money.

Thanks for the update though. I won't be buying into Star Citizen yet.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:37 am UTC

I'm on the 'buy when it releases' list myself. What they have for Squadron 42 looks like that wing commander's godson people were hoping for, based on the 'vertical slice' video released last December, and if they can polish that up, and do the same with the online version it'll be the space game I've been wanting for a long time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHR1aEdTA4M The voice acting/mocap is being done by some very good Hollywood talent, if nothing else.

That said, I've learned my lesson with other early access games, getting burnt out or just 'done' with a good game before it's feature complete is getting old. Sure I'll be behind other players who know how to play already, but maybe I'll be able to play for longer on the 'good' version.

Return to “Gaming”