The Secret World

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

You, sir, name?

Re: The Secret World

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:12 pm UTC

I love how you can split your inventory into multiple windows. This is the most organized my inventory has been in pretty much any game ever.

I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Woopate » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:50 am UTC

Wow. 32 gigs. Barely had room on my solid state drive for it. Then a 4 gig patch. Welp. Onto the magnetic you go.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:33 am UTC

They didn't cut corners in regards to level design, that's for sure.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:56 pm UTC

The meta critic user reviews are starting to pour in. So far, 150 or so votes. Average score: 9.4.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:14 pm UTC

So, in terms of computer game reviews, isn't that significantly below par? ;)

(This is a joke about inflated computer game review scores)
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:21 pm UTC

It's professional reviews that are inflated. That's the user reviews.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:29 pm UTC

Started up, and think it's pretty cool. Combat feels unpolished, insofar as targets can over shoot you, and suddenly your melee attacks have no line of sight. The 'build weapon resource' thing is neat at first, but a mite repetitive. The tiered quest system is awesome, the completely open skill tree selection is brilliant (if a little under explained without PAFO), and the writing is pretty rad. It's moody and fun so far.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:45 pm UTC

The writing is what nails it for me and keeps me coming back. I could do with a better combat system, but I prefer story to combat. Also, you people better be friending me, 'Mag-Ten'.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:20 pm UTC

Boo, website is down :(
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:20 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Combat feels unpolished, insofar as targets can over shoot you, and suddenly your melee attacks have no line of sight. The 'build weapon resource' thing is neat at first, but a mite repetitive.

I think this is mainly a matter of playstyle. Mouse-aiming is pretty much a must in this game (during combat), and ideally you want to be moving so much anyway in order to avoid attacks, that facing your enemy shouldn't be an issue. And the whole builder/consumer thing gets better when you get more skills to chose from (a builder for one weapon builds resources for both). So for example, my standard single-enemy cycle looks something like:

1. Ranged damage-over-time
  2. Penetration rating buff
  3. Damage-dealing consumer
  4. Impair-skill
  5. 2x Secondary builder (that builds faster on impaired targets)
  6. Damage-dealing consumer
  7. Damage-over-time
  8. 5x Primray builder
  9. Damage-dealing consumer

If it's not dead at this point, I am.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:46 am UTC

What do you think about group play then? Is there room/demand for group buffers/healers? How user friendly is group buffing/healilng?

I'm Chaos/Blood right now (only like 3 hrs into the game), in hopes that I can focus on Chaos for punching stuff with green fire, and Blood for ranged damage or group heals.

I'm hoping for some movement buffs/abilities. Something to close the distance would be swell for Chaos.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:57 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:What do you think about group play then? Is there room/demand for group buffers/healers? How user friendly is group buffing/healilng?

I'm Chaos/Blood right now (only like 3 hrs into the game), in hopes that I can focus on Chaos for punching stuff with green fire, and Blood for ranged damage or group heals.

I'm hoping for some movement buffs/abilities. Something to close the distance would be swell for Chaos.

The thing about TSW is that any player can take any role to fit the situation, so the having fixed roles isn't really very meaningful. If you want to buff or heal, you can simply change your build to do that, if it doesn't work, you can try something else. You can go in with 5 DPS guys, get roflspanked, have everyone go tank instead, and try again.

I was using blood magic / fists, but wasn't happy with the damage output of blood magic, so I put 10 SP and 12 AP into elementalism instead. That's the type of changes the game is designed to allow you to do unpunished (which is why all quests are repeatable, and SP, AP always require the same amount of XP).

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:00 am UTC

yeah, and to be totally clear, that's currently the thing I love most about the game itself. It's very Eve-like in that regard, and I really like feeling like the more time I spend in my character, the more options are available to me, both in terms of depth and breadth of what I can do.

Should I drop any pretense of optimizing a build/style and just go with what I like and experiment along the way? It's a little daunting right now looking at all the options available and worrying about investing points poorly.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:04 am UTC

There isn't really much benefit in optimizing a build (in the sense of rushing to advanced skills; setting up good synergies pays off big time). By the time you get a few abilities into the outer circles, you start being able to buy an entire inner circle for the same amount of AP, and the rate you gain AP increases the farther into the game you get.

Not to mention, the game isn't designed to allow all builds to work against all challenges. No matter how optimized, there will be a point where you simply cannot progress with a certain build, and you have to diversify.

Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Woopate » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:14 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:They didn't cut corners in regards to level design, that's for sure.

I have to agree with this. I've only done some of Kingsmouth so far, but one thing I can really notice is how the mob zone doesn't feel empty with random "mobs spawn here" flags like TOR. Might just be the simple change of having zombies spawn eating a corpse, but Kingsmouth doesn't feel like a big empty room.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:24 am UTC

They're also very good at using "background" items in quests, like corpses, rocks, manhole covers, etc. This makes the world feel alot less static.

Gellert1984

Postby Gellert1984 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:53 pm UTC

The investigation missions are great, a real sense of satisfaction can be had from solving a quest with yer brain muscle.

Its just a shame half of them seem to be bugged :(
The only time I question the right to Free Speech is when I watch Fox News, probably due to the fact that I don't think they really believe in it. -Elisa Scaldaferri

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:57 pm UTC

Ran into my first quest 'bug' today; was killing the specters of professors in the academy with a group, when I stopped a second to rekagigger some skills. My group engaged the next specter, and killed it, but I didn't get awarded for the kill. The specter then wouldn't spawn unless I dropped and restarted the quest.

Pretty annoying.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:19 am UTC

Ran into at least two bugs, one in something wicked, and one in the black house (though a GM in standing right there! :X).

I'm not entirely sold on the investigation missions, sometimes they're really cool (oh, I have to be dead? Neat!), but I usually end up googling for at least one tier (oh, I have to be dead? Wha...?). And not in the "oh well it's just not obvious if you don't know composers" type of way.

Also, I'm keeping my headlamp forever. <_<

EDIT: Looks like they've fixed a lot of the broken missions (and some other bugs) according to today's patch notes. Hope it's so.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:40 am UTC

Update from the big cheese himself on the future of the game.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:57 am UTC

Can anyone point me to a skill set summary? Right now all i've figured out is that;
Magic - elementalism is highest ranged damage, blood is mid range damage/heals and barriers, and chaos is melee damage/debuffing
Melee - Fists are heals and melee damage, dunno about blades and hammers
Ranged - Mostly a mystery to me.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:02 pm UTC

Made it to Egypt. Blue Mountain was tough.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:55 pm UTC

Waitwaitwait; you're only on Blue Mountain?

Fuck, how big is this game? I've currently unlocked the first tier of all magics and fists, and am thinking of unlocking Swords and Pistols before going into the out tiers. Wanted to be able to heal and do rdps mostly.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:01 pm UTC

Haven't had that much time to play it. Mostly weekends.

So far it's been maybe 10-15 hours per zone.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:43 pm UTC

Ah ok.

I'm finding a lack of information to be annoying. Same as in SWTOR; why isn't there a dps/hps meter? I also think combat is still kind of clunky; it's not a big deal for pve or even dungeoning, but in battlegrounds, it can get very choppy and turn into a bit of a mess.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:50 pm UTC

PvP isn't really my thing, but there are add-ons: http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showth ... ?p=1269099

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:18 pm UTC

Aha! I'll have to give this a try!

I've been too busy to play, but every time I hop on I have a blast. I'd really like something like Healium to facilitate heals, but meh.

EDIT: Anyone know if Blood is worthwhile as heals? The fact that barriers replace is really annoying to me.

Dea ex Machina

Postby Dea ex Machina » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:59 am UTC

Tried it on the free weekend, really enjoyed it, and bought it, but for some reason Funcom is having trouble processing my payment and I'm locked out. :(

When I was able to play, I was messing around with swords and blood magic, kinda like the idea of being able to melee and heal myself, no idea if that's sustainable long term. I may already be having trouble; I've gotten stuck with a few tiers in Kingsmouth being too hard for me to complete. That may just be because my weapon sucks, though; I have yet to see a single sword drop. And I can't seem to figure out the crafting system (Give me ONE GOOD REASON why I can't break down this pistol and make a sword! I broke down a pistol and made a BOOK in the tutorial, for heaven's sake!).

The writing is teh roxxorz, though. I'm loving the storyines and worldbuilding. And the different kinds of challenges are marvellous. I was SO PROUD of myself for figuring out the little solo stealth dungeon, where you have to find a path through the rooms that avoids security cameras and booby traps. As much as I enjoy WoW, that was really refreshing.

Now if funcom would just bloody take my money already... *sulkily refreshes the "payment pending" page*

What faction is everyone leaning towards? I'm really liking the Illuminati so far; they're funny bastards. And to my mind, they have by FAR the best intro video monolog.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:26 pm UTC

If your payment is stuck you may want to go to the live chat support. I had that problem and apparently my account was marked as inactive so the payment was just sitting there not processing. Support released it and it went through in 5 minutes. :P

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:17 pm UTC

My name in game is Riame, lets run stuff!

I'm thoroughly hooked.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:37 pm UTC

Dea ex Machina wrote:Give me ONE GOOD REASON why I can't break down this pistol and make a sword! I broke down a pistol and made a BOOK in the tutorial, for heaven's sake!

Uh, you can. Just keep in mind that breaking down an item produces materials a grade lower than the weapon would be constructed with.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:53 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:This is the most organized my inventory has been in pretty much any game ever.

What about WoW bag addons? Some of those had controls of a complexity not dissimilar to a plane.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:23 pm UTC

Finally finished Dawning of an Endless Night. Hadn't been playing much in the last 2 weeks, and finally started again this weekend.
Spoiler:
I chose not to take the gift. I wonder how this will come into play later, since when I was searching about it spoiler warnings implied that it does...

I'm mildly disappointed with the fight with Beoumont though. Not so much that he was easy to beat (though he was), but the whole "drink some kool-aid and be awesome" seemed a bit... anticlimactic.

Now wandering around in Egypt. So many quests, so little time, and I still haven't done a bunch in Blue Mountain. Haven't done any of the 5-player nightmare dungeons yet either, mostly been playing solo except for a few random groupings along the way.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:42 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:Finally finished Dawning of an Endless Night.

What faction? The monolog the Illuminati chick gives congratulating you on finishing had me laughing uproariously. I love the writing on this game.

Spoiler:
I chose the gift, but admittedly, it was an accident. The choice aspect was a little vaguely presented, and I wasn't sure that clicking on the gift = accepting it. Oh well. I'd have taken it anyway.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:23 pm UTC

Yeah. Kirsten Geary is easily the one of the most hilarious characters in any game I've ever played.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:49 pm UTC

Do you know by any chance a place I can find her monologs, or maybe just a transcript?

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:04 pm UTC

You can find some on youtube. A bit dangerous if you're not through the story yet though, as there's a fair chance of bumping into spoilers.

This one is safe though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meY9LfAO1J0

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:30 pm UTC

All good stuff there, but didn't have the video I'm after.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:44 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:What faction? The monolog the Illuminati chick gives congratulating you on finishing had me laughing uproariously. I love the writing on this game.
Templars, though I remember the Illuminati intro from the beta a bit. She was a bit weird...

The templar guy more serious about it all, he's all "Ozymandias" this, "witch hunt" that after you finish Dawning (I'm probably bad at describing, he's not really all that serious, but more than the Illuminati woman in any case). Though I did find it amusing he manages to backhandedly compliment you on disregarding his instructions and helping people along the way.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:15 pm UTC

Bump. Is it worth a buy over Guild Wars 2?

Return to “Gaming”