GO weiqi igo baduk

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Mat

Re: GO....

Postby Mat » Wed May 18, 2011 7:41 am UTC

Sounds good to me. I play on kgs but not often enough. My rank is hovering around 12k at the moment.

Metaphysician

Postby Metaphysician » Wed May 18, 2011 11:08 am UTC

cool... I'm probably around 16-18k so we wont be too far apart for long... Historically I improve to the 10-13k range fairly quickly. I have to get a new acct set up today and then I'll post my username in here.
What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.
-Kurt Vonnegut

Mat

Postby Mat » Wed May 18, 2011 6:20 pm UTC

http://www.gokgs.com/help/NewRooms.html

if we create a temporary room in social hopefully we can gather enough members for an admin to make it permanent.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed May 18, 2011 6:34 pm UTC

I haven't played for years (other than occasionally venturing into KGS). I'm up for a game if anyone else is. Egoposting in case that room gets created.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

savanik

Postby savanik » Wed May 18, 2011 7:51 pm UTC

So what times are good for people? I've got... MWF late, and Saturday afternoon after I'm done with my Aikido and Kyudo studies. CST. :D
"If it were up to the copyright lobby, owning a pen would be punishable by fines." ---Arancaytar

Mat

Postby Mat » Wed May 18, 2011 8:11 pm UTC

I'm free about 7 UTC on weekdays or weekends whenever.

Metaphysician

Postby Metaphysician » Wed May 18, 2011 10:39 pm UTC

Ok, lets see, why don't we start by friending everybody from the forum that's interested. I'm going to be on a lot so I'll try to get a feel for when people are generally on and stuff like that and then if it looks like we're consistent enough to merit a room, we can go about creating one.

I'm AdamB on KGS.
What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.
-Kurt Vonnegut

Mat

Postby Mat » Thu May 19, 2011 7:01 pm UTC

Sure, I just added you (I'm crazymat on there).

TheChosenLnE

"Go" Players, some territory questions, v2

Postby TheChosenLnE » Thu May 19, 2011 8:10 pm UTC

I've come across a discrepancy when playing with a friend other than the one who got me into this awesome game and I was hoping that y'all could enlighten me.

Say white blocks off a section of territory in the corner; is black allowed to play within that territory?

It was to my belief that black cannot play in white's territory unless it too has the area surrounded and it wasn't a suicide.

Much Appreciation,
The Chosen ln(e)

Metaphysician

Re: "Go" Players, some territory questions, v2

Postby Metaphysician » Thu May 19, 2011 10:17 pm UTC

TheChosenLnE wrote:I've come across a discrepancy when playing with a friend other than the one who got me into this awesome game and I was hoping that y'all could enlighten me.

Say white blocks off a section of territory in the corner; is black allowed to play within that territory?

It was to my belief that black cannot play in white's territory unless it too has the area surrounded and it wasn't a suicide.

Much Appreciation,
The Chosen ln(e)

Black can play wherever it wants to. If white truly controls the territory it will be able to kill black, if it can't then black steals white's territory.
-Kurt Vonnegut

savanik

Postby savanik » Sat May 21, 2011 12:39 am UTC

And my account no longer existed, been too long.

So I recreated it! I'm Savanik on there, too.
"If it were up to the copyright lobby, owning a pen would be punishable by fines." ---Arancaytar

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat May 21, 2011 1:09 pm UTC

I've gone very rusty. My rank according to KGS is 24k. Back when I was playing every day, I got up to about 13k. I just can't remember how to play well.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

I Am Raven

The Go Thread

Postby I Am Raven » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:47 am UTC

Well... uhm. I have a question.
In the situation as seen hereunder, if the player playing white, places the stone in the bottom left corner, wouldn't white be able to take away all of black's stones?

EDIT: I would like to thank the moderator who moved my thread.
Attachments
IMG_20110901_202448.jpg
GO
Last edited by I Am Raven on Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Ptolom wrote:penis

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:36 am UTC

Yes
EVE Online: Daesis Wrack
Starcraft 2 (US): CosmicOsmo #465
Anarchy Online (RK2): Azzamis

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:08 am UTC

Swivelguy wrote:Yes

That's great. And no offence, but can I get a second opinion?

notzeb
Without Warning

Postby notzeb » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:46 am UTC

I Am Raven wrote:
Swivelguy wrote:Yes

That's great. And no offence, but can I get a second opinion?

Second opinion: no, white won't capture all of the black stones. He/she will, instead, take all of the black stones on the left hand side of the board. (The black stones in the upper right hand corner are clearly unkillable, assuming black has an ounce of sense.)

The reason is simple - after white's move, the black pieces on the left side of the board are not connected to any empty spaces. Although white's piece is also not connected to any empty spaces, since it was white who made the move, his capture takes precedence. I hope that sounded authoritative enough for you to believe it.
Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­Z

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:40 pm UTC

Ah yes, I didn't read carefully enough. White's move captures only the left-side stones.

"Suicide" is allowed when it captures stones. http://senseis.xmp.net/?RulesOfGoIntroductory#r8

A player is not allowed to make a play that removes the last liberty of any of his own stones without doing the same to opposing stones (so-called suicide).

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:50 pm UTC

Okay, not ALL, but fair enough. Got enough info to tell my dad "BOOYA!"

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:19 pm UTC

Also, if that was an actual game, both players have a lot of work to do in regards to needlessly filling in their own eyes and/or claiming enough territory in the early game. End-games generally look much more "open."

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:35 am UTC

I'm Xkcdfan in www.gokgs.com

If you see me on give me a shout! :)

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:13 am UTC

And hello.

I'll be hanging around on KGS occasionally now, and will make a point of creating a temporary XKCD room. I honestly don't think we'll be faithful enough visitors to justify a constant one, but mutual buddy listing may work well. (I'm MallowPeep, and I've got XKCDfan buddied and no others.)

Regarding "how do I score this." Once both players have passed (which is a nonambiguous way to measure whether both players agree that the game has ended) you first fill in neutral points (and you take turns doing so, so that the other player has an opportunity to show disagreement) and then you remove dead stones from the board (again taking turns so that each player has the opportunity to show disagreement.)

Experienced go players usually don't show disagreement, but there's no dishonor in wanting to learn more (quite the contrary) and if one player says "wait, why do you think that group is dead? I think it's alive!" (for instance) you then back up to before the neutral points were being filled in and allow the person who disagrees to demonstrate the true status of the group.

Say in the case of a bulky five, as below, in which black (represented by x) is dead, and every white stone on the board is alive:

Code: Select all

~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~
.  .  o  .  o  .  .  o  .
o  o  .  .  .  .  o  .  .
.  .  o  o  o  .  .  .  .
x  x  x  .  .  o  .  o  .
.  .  x  x  .  o  .  .  .
.  o  .  x  .  o  .  .  .
It's not unlikely that a beginning player would think that group alive (it barely looks threatened) and would question any declaration that it is dead or that the spaces near it are not neutral but are instead white's territory. After both players passed, when the players discovered that they had differing opinions about the status of the black group they would back the game until prior to the passing and then white would attack and kill the group. Once black loses the group, the players back up the board to the way it was when they both passed and continue scoring as usual.

In this way scoring is unambiguous 99% of the time. It's possible that two amateur players will judge a group as alive when it is not. If those players agree on the status of the group, I submit that said group actually is alive, even if it would be utterly and unalterably dead in the hands of a superior player.

This is one of the many beautiful aspects of this game IMO. Scoring and play are both mathematically beautiful and elegant.

myrcutio

Postby myrcutio » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:31 pm UTC

Watching pro games it's sometimes confusing which points they fill in and which they leave unfilled until scoring. It's very common to leave a trailing hane in the corner unconnected, since an atari would be a waste of time (one move, one response, no difference in score = dame)

If you haven't noticed, I like using the japanese terminology, and I've found that learning the names for different moves is incredibly helpful in recognizing patterns. Some of the most interesting concepts have names to which there are no analogs in English. If you learn the name for a move, or a proverb that refers to it, you are more likely to remember the strengths/weaknesses of that shape. http://http://gobase.org/online/intergo/ is good to peruse, as it has visual examples and translations for almost every go term imaginable.

I typically play at http://www.dragongoserver.net, userid myrcutio, if anyone is interested in some longer games (between 15 and 90 days time, plus byoyomi). I prefer DGS over other online go servers because I can play a few moves a day in my free time, and analyze positions more deeply. http://goproblems.com is also an awesome site, though I wish it wasn't written in a java applet.
"Lightning must have hit it, and now it won't work in anything but Windows 95."

Faustus runs afoul of Microsoft.

mitch1423

Go (Boardgame)

Postby mitch1423 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:37 am UTC

Go (weiqi in Chinese, igo in Japanese, baduk in Korean), is an ancient board game for two players that originated in China more than 2,000 years ago. The game is noted for being rich in strategy despite its relatively simple rules. In my own words, its a fun strategy board game. You play by laying disks/checker type pieces on the intersections of a 19x19 grid. The object is to surround other pieces with your pieces. There are some other rules, but they are hard to explain. Anyone else like to play this?

Learn to Play: Here
More Info: Wikipedia

EDIT: Also I couldn't search for this because of your word limit and such, so redirect me to the previously created thread if necessary.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:26 am UTC

While you can't find this thread by searching Go, you can find it by searching Weiqi and Baduk. But not Igo. At least, not until now.... So thanks for that!

Seriously, though, I've got this thread linked in Gaming Rules simply because it's so hard for me (or anyone) to find again when the topic crops up every 10-14 months. [Not saying you should have searched there, just saying this thread is stupid hard to find even when you know it's there, much less when you don't know for sure if it exists.]
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Metaphysician

Postby Metaphysician » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:03 am UTC

My SN on KGS is adamCB. I am around 14k... used to be 10k but am rusty and had to start a new account. I'm always looking for people of any strength to play with so feel free to friend me or hit me up for a game, you can also just PM me on these forums if you want to set up a time.
-Kurt Vonnegut

Metaphysician

Re: GO weiqi igo baduk

Postby Metaphysician » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:29 am UTC

I've joined a league on KGS.

http://www.advancedstudyroom.com/ASR/kgs-league

It's pretty awesome, there are players of a pretty wide range of strengths in each group and you always play an even game, and losing earns you points as well as winning (half as much). There are prizes and a pretty awesome community of people all trying to get better at the game and help each other out. After every game the stronger player will generally review with the weaker, and people of the same level will go through the game and talk about it. I'm pretty excited thus far.
-Kurt Vonnegut

showluo

Postby showluo » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:06 am UTC

yeah i play on KGS :D im a 10 kyu ish, with 30 kyu mistakes :D will be a sdk shortly ^^ nice to see fellow go players :D

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:07 pm UTC

showluo wrote:yeah i play on KGS :D im a 10 kyu ish, with 30 kyu mistakes :D will be a sdk shortly ^^ nice to see fellow go players :D

Name on KGS?

sigsfried

Postby sigsfried » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:35 am UTC

I'm on kgs, currently 7k, same name as this. If anyone wants a teaching game or is willing to give me one, pm me.

Mat

Postby Mat » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

Anyone fancy a game on http://online-go.com/ ?

I've just started playing correspondence games on there and it seems pretty good. If people are interested we could start an XKCD group and get a ladder going?

cyanyoshi

Postby cyanyoshi » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:33 am UTC

Eh, why not? Things should settle down for me in about a week or so. Not to brag, but I'm 29 kyu! Yeah...that's what you get when you haven't played in years and were never good at all to begin with. (Which way does the horsey move, again?)

Mat

Postby Mat » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:41 pm UTC

I made a thing: http://online-go.com/group/185 - please join and start games!

I'm about 10kyu at the moment but I'm still provisionally ranked on there so I've probably missed my chance to be top of all the ladders :P

Daimon

Postby Daimon » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:13 am UTC

I'm bumping this thread simply because why not. I've been playing constantly since around January of this year where I had the presitigious rank of 22k on kgs. I'm now 7k and study too much. Some people say that I should just play tonnes of games, but I don't like it that way. I like doing a hundred or two hundred tsumego a day, going over pro games, and reading books/watching videos about go while playing the occasional game. Hopefully I'll be 3k by the end of August, and that may be more likely than not since I was able to beat a 5k and a 6k recently.

I've also appeared to have gained the ability to replay my own games without prior memorisation, but those two games were only 53 and 102 moves long and were against dan level players. I hear that the more unnatural a move is, the harder it is to remember from memory, so that's probably the reason I was able to remember those games so easily. Of course their moves make sense.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:28 pm UTC

This existed:

4-way baduk: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=105414

It only got started, but it looks like the major game changer with having more than two players is that you end up needing to play more defensively because you've got to be able to make eyes even with potentially more than one moves coming at you at once.

Having two opponents is arguably similar to telling your opponent that at any single point during the game they're allowed to make two moves in a row, and then playing the whole game as if they might. ...this, assuming that "Axis and Allies" boardgame-style negotiations and verbal collusions are not allowed (ala rengo.)

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:29 pm UTC

Feylias wrote:Having two opponents is arguably similar to telling your opponent that at any single point during the game they're allowed to make two moves in a row, and then playing the whole game as if they might. ...this, assuming that "Axis and Allies" boardgame-style negotiations and verbal collusions are not allowed (ala rengo.)

Just as an FYI, Axis and Allies have set teams. Its always Germany / Japan vs Russia/ Britain / USA. So very rarely do negotiations take place. There's a lot of strategy, planning and collusion... but you can't attack your friends in that game. Its a nice wargame without any politics at all.

Maybe you mean "Risk" or "Diplomacy", which have many more politics involved :wink: :wink:
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Return to “Gaming”