Cataclysm and Cataclysm:Dark Days Ahead

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Saurus33

Cataclysm and Cataclysm:Dark Days Ahead

Postby Saurus33 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:35 am UTC

Cataclysm is a post-apocalyptic roguelike, set in the countryside of New England after a devastating plague of monsters and zombies.

At present time, Cataclysm is still in early alpha, and is being developed very rapidly. As such, there are no formal version numbers, as a new version is released every day, often several a day.

Source is available at the github repository, http://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm There is also a tarball available at http://squidnet.ath.cx/cataclysm.tar.gz Squidnet maintains a public SSH server. If you cannot play Cataclysm locally, or if you prefer to play it in a world shared with others, connect to cataclysm@squidnet.ath.cx (there is no password).

Compiling Cataclysm under linux is straightforward, and only requires the ncurses development libraries. Under Ubuntu, these libraries can be found in the libncurses5-dev package ("sudo apt-get install libncurses5-dev" will install this package).

Cataclysm is very different from most roguelikes in many ways. Rather than being set in a vertical, linear dungeon, it is set in an unbounded, 3D world. This means that exploration plays a much bigger role than in most roguelikes, and the game is much less linear. Because the map is so huge, it is actually completely persistant between games. If you die, and start a new character, your new game will be set in the same game world as your last. Like in many roguelikes, you will be able to loot the dead bodies of previous characters; unlike most roguelikes, you will also be able to retrace their steps completely, and any dramatic changes made to the world will persist into your next game. While this makes for interesting depth of play, and the ability to "save" game progress even after death, some prefer to start each game with a freshly generated world. This can be achieved by erasing the contents of the save directory, found in the same folder as the executable. "rm save/*" will erase these files for you.

Cataclysm's gameplay also includes many unique quirks, and the learning curve is somewhat steep, even for those experienced with roguelikes. Included with the game is a tutorial which runs the player through most of the key features. The game also has extensive documentation via the ? command. Pressing ?1 will listall the key commands, which is a good place to start.

The Windows version has been precompiled by Head, and is available here.
Linux version is available here.
The fan forums are here.
The wiki is a little threadbare, but is available here.
Like many roguelikes, the difficulty curve is somewhat murderous. My personal record is five days of survival.

Survival, as you may have guessed from the topic, is the main focus of the game; you need to eat, drink and sleep, and find/make a place where you are safe from the depredations of the zombies and other enemies.Time in this game is not abstracted to the degree common in other games; you need to eat and drink roughly three times a day, and you will sleep for approx. 8 hours if uninterrupted by drug withdrawals, asthma attacks, monsters or hallucinations.

Speaking of which, drugs! Cataclysm has a plethora of drugs for you to try and/or become addicted to. Drugs will generally affect your statistics positively or negatively, or reduce your levels of pain. After constant use, you can become addicted to drugs, and will suffer withdrawal symptoms if they are not taken. It is also possible to overdose on drugs.
If drugs have so many negative effects, you might ask why you would take them; the answer being morale.

Your morale determines how quickly you gain xp. Using skills will allocate xp into them, as is normal for many games, but if your morale is too low and you haven't got any xp banked you will not improve. Taking drugs, not being thirsty or hungry, sleeping well, reading entertaining books and other such things will improve your morale; being in pain, being hungry or thirsty, not sleeping, drug withdrawals and murdering NPCs will reduce your morale.

Non-monster NPCs are not currently implemented, as they are extremely buggy, but if you really want to play with them you can spawn one using debug commands.

Cataclysm is set in the near future, around 2050 or so. It is possible to begin the game as a cyborg, for example, if you select that trait on the starting screen.

Some survival tips; if you find guns, save them for emergencies. Loud noises attract monsters, and the louder it is the more attractive power it has. Shotguns are the ultimate panic button.
It is generally a waste of points to begin with skills; you can learn all of the relevant ones in-game by reading books.
The closer to the inner city the more zombies there are; the edge of town, near the forest, is the safest bet.
There are set populations of zombies and such for each town; this is generally around 6000, though, so you can't really clear out a whole town without great amounts of time and luck.
Running is almost always an option, and you'll be doing a lot of it; you can't take on hordes of zombies in the early game.
Play the tutorial; it is very helpful.

The developer (Whales) is fairly active in a Bay12 thread here.
Screenshot;
Spoiler:

One of the more interesting features of the game is the emergent content. For example, one player hid in the sewer tunnels and made a wall of zombie corpses at both ends. He then doused the zombie corpses in gasoline and lit them. Thinking himself safe, he went to sleep, but was asphyxiated by the smoke, which had nowhere to go.

The game is open source and highly moddable, though you'll have to compile it yourself if you want to do so. If your mod adds something the developer likes, it can be (and has been) added into the main game fairly seamlessly.

The original has kinda sorta slowed or stopped updates. A major fork is Cataclysm:Dark Days Ahead which adds quite a bit to the game, and is worth playing. - ST

RetSpline

Re: Cataclysm: Open-source Zombie Survival Roguelike

Postby RetSpline » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:35 pm UTC

:shock: Wow... this is pretty much exactly the kind of game I've been looking for for a while now. Downloading now, here's hoping it can live up to all my crazy expectations.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:09 pm UTC

Downloaded. Will be the first time I've played a roguelike without having some sort of texture pack.

Had to force myself to not take take Fleet Footed, Parkour Expert, Drunken Master, along with Lightweight, Addictive Personality, and HP ignorant. Thankfully there were some good traits -- Disease Resistant, Night Vision, and Supertaster (lets you tell if food is spoiled) jumped out at me.

Part of me wants to see about creating a texture pack. . .while the rest of me realizes I have no idea how to do that.

EDIT: scratch that, there are tilesets for it on the forum OP linked.

savanik

Postby savanik » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:45 pm UTC

Hmm. Maddeningly vague in some places. Now that I know how to 'reload' my things with dead batteries, I may live longer and prosper. But quite fun and addictive. Finding a katana and a trenchcoat in my starting house was quite helpful on my last run, I made it a full 24 hours!
"If it were up to the copyright lobby, owning a pen would be punishable by fines." ---Arancaytar

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:58 am UTC

So, is it 3d, or ASCII? That screenshot and what the article said conflict.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

Saurus33

Postby Saurus33 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:41 am UTC

It is in ASCII. The 3D World comment was just talking about the fact that it has z-levels, in addition to the x-and-y positions. Fun Facts; this was originally designed to be a 15minute, finished in your lunchbreak roguelike version of L4D, but once the developer wrote the map generation code he realized he had a good open world to work with and started altering things to support survival/exploration based gameplay. So, you will see boomers, tanks, hunters and so on.

savanik

Postby savanik » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:23 pm UTC

To give an idea of the level of detail in the game, I stumbled across something interesting last night. Silencers makes gunfire draw a LOT less attention. Not only that, but different ammo types are louder or quieter. In this rifle I picked up, it's chambered for 5.56 NATO and can take .223 as well. (Just like real life!) But the .223 is WAY quieter when shooting it.

All the same, I find myself relying on my .22 rifle a lot because the ammo is plentiful and easy to carry, and more than enough to take down a wolf with one well-placed shot.

As I understand it, in the future we'll be able to make campfires and cook food over them. Right now, I am relying solely on the batteries in my hotplate to keep food around.
"If it were up to the copyright lobby, owning a pen would be punishable by fines." ---Arancaytar

Obby

Postby Obby » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:58 pm UTC

So... I feel kind of dumb. I loaded up the tutorial, and go to move out of the original room. Then it tells me to press , or g to pick up items, and i to view my inventory, but none of those buttons do what they're supposed to. Pressing g somehow tells me what people are nearby (or creates someone out of thin air if I keep pressing it), pressing , does does nothing, and pressing e lets me examine some things and not others, but won't let me loot.

Edit: Nevermind I figured it out, I think.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:12 pm UTC

Are you on a laptop by chance? Also, the game is case sensitive, so G and g are two different commands.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Obby

Postby Obby » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:24 pm UTC

Yeah, the case sensitive thing was my problem. It's a lot better now.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

guale

Postby guale » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:56 pm UTC

I'm finding this game incredibly amazing but also incredibly difficult. So far I've managed to survive to roughly 4 or 5 am of the second day and that took a LOT of cocaine to make it that far. Got taken out by a Brute stepping on a landmine.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:19 am UTC

So, is there an endgame goal (ex find the cure, escape, etc), or is it more along the lines of Dwarf Fortress where you are doomed from the start and it's just a matter of time?
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

In stores now.

Saurus33

Postby Saurus33 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:37 am UTC

You are doomed. At the moment, at least. Once NPCs are properly implemented, you could work with them and have actual goals, but for now the only goal is to survive as long as possible.

In other news, I had a character who was addicted to caffeine, nicotine, cocaine, alcohol, amphetamines and heroin. In an entirely unsurprising event, he died in his sleep of a bad drug interaction.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:24 am UTC

... This is really awesome. I've only killed two squirrels and wandered around so far, but it's still entertaining.

RetSpline

Postby RetSpline » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:46 am UTC

Welp, it's about 5:00PM Day 3 on my most successful character by far, and I just set my awesome amazing safehouse on fire :oops: I knew I should have picked up a few fire extinguishers by now...

I'd been using pit traps to burn my trash and tainted meat, and it turns out that, occasionally, fire can leap out of a pit onto nearby house walls. In the future, I'll make sure to burn things very far away from my houses.

EDIT: so I managed to put out the fire and save all my supplies before any significant structural damage was done, then went to sleep and was woken up in the middle of the night by a lightning bolt striking my house. This is, well, roguelike levels of unfair so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:30 pm UTC

Is 'woken up' a euphemism for 'killed'?

I should really get into this, but I'll probably get frustrated with the keyboard commands like some sort of sissy.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

savanik

Postby savanik » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:14 pm UTC

Having taken some looks at the source code over the weekend, I think I might actually comprehend enough of it to add some basic-level features and whatnot.

I just might have to try that. I'm currently pining for the ability to cook meat over a fire.

Saurus33

Postby Saurus33 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:07 am UTC

New character; being a heavily armed cyborg is even more fun than I expected. Of course, I had to take many drugs to deal with the pain of failed installations and to make my success rate higher, but it was still worth it.

darkwombat

Postby darkwombat » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:38 pm UTC

Many thanks to the OP for pointing out this game! I'm having a ton of fun with it. For any trying it out for the first time, I'll list a few things that I wished I had known early in the game. Some have already been mentioned here.

Spoiler:
*You can view your morale and positive or negative modifiers by hitting the "%" key. Keep your morale on a positive modifier to add XP to your XP pool. When you use skills that can be "levelled up" through use, they will only advance by using XP accumulated in your XP pool.

* I have edited this point, which used to recommend lots of alcohol and marijuana. As BurningLED points out below and as I have only recently discovered, alcohol withdrawal is nasty. If you drink regularly, you can rack up awesome XP and use alcohol as a pretty effective painkiller as well, but be aware that there will eventually be a reckoning!

* You can barricade your safehouse by getting some 2x4s , a hammer, and nails. use "a" and select your hammer as the tool, then input the direction you want to barricade. Easiest way to get 2x4s? bash down a door on some other house you don't care about (I believe the "s" key lets you smash a door)

*You can also make wooden spears (open crafting menu with "&" key) once you have a cutting tool and some 2x4s or a broom, etc. These are great throwing weapons. Carry a few and throw them at squirrels, rabbits, etc. Be sure to (B)utcher the critters to level up that skill as well, You can gain initial levels in throwing and butchery very quickly this way. Then you can cook all that meat with a hotplate, level up your cooking as well.

*Use sewing kits on unwanted clothes to level up your tailoring -- you'll likely destroy the clothes at first, but who cares? Once you get a few levels in tailoring it will be safe to use the sewing kit on gear you care about, to repair damage or even reinforce the clothing.

*ENCUMBRANCE is a major factor in this game. Check your encumbrance on the character screen. Don't layer clothing. (no t-shirt under your trenchcoat, for example).

* Drinking from the toilet gives very minor, very temporary poisoning, but saves you having to carry water around if you'll be scouting in an area with houses. I personally drink almost exclusively from toilets (there's a sentence I never expected to type!).

EDITED to revise some bad advice, based on better info from BurningLED :)
Last edited by darkwombat on Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:44 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Be -very- careful with alcohol. 2 pops of everything at game start will put you at 2500 XP or so, and don't touch it again until that's about to run out -- Getting addicted to alcohol is hard but it will fuck you up. It drops your morale to -120 or so for days. For comparison, murdering innocents is -100 and getting wet is -60.

Stay the fuck away from heroin unless it's day 30 and you've built up insane resistance to all other pain meds. Extremely addictive, easy to OD on, and doesn't do the job that much better than oxycodone. Same with meth, caffeine pills/Adderall do the same job, are more plentiful, and are much safer.

The crafting menu (&). Learn to love it very much, especially once you've leveled mechanics and electronics. The bandages recipe is extremely useful in the labs, where superglue and rags are everywhere. The silencer recipe is a far more reliable way to get it than looting every gun store you see. Grenades and molotovs are great escape weapons, and the former can take out turrets out of sight once you start exploring the labs. The grenade has a 5-turn fuse though, so careful.

Engaging at melee with a torso encumbrance of more than 2 (1 or 0 is safest) is asking to be killed. 0 is the best if you plan on melee, and you can get ~50 capacity with 2 utility vests, army pants, and a fanny pack which is enough to carry things you'll need on hand immediately. Learn to hit zombies and back up early in the game (hack'n'back), it's the best way to damage them without being injured yourself. Hit, back up a couple of times, hit, etc.

The best melee weapons are the ones that deal okay damage and hit quickly (hammers, combat knives, adamantium claws, hatchet, bee sting). Ones that do lots of damage but hit slowly (katanas, sledgehammers, machetes) are only good if you have enough skill in the weapon to oneshot most zombies reliably (This can be done from cutting 2 with katanas, cutting 5-6 with machetes, and probably a very high bashing for sledgehammers). Don't engage fast zed/brutes/hulks in melee unless they're stuck in a pit (can be made with shovels) or a broken window.

Once you can kill them quickly and easily (likely after a few days and melee training) triffids are an awesome food source. Chunks of veggy are really nutritious and can be eaten without any negative effects, even uncooked. For water, use a water purifier and aluminum cans for water-on-the-go or just take a minor poison hit each time you drink from a toilet/river.

Don't take skills at game start, just find a couple of libraries. The only skills you may want to take are ones that can't be leveled through books, and all of those can be leveled quickly through experience (barring butchery and swimming, but those are fairly minor). As for the above, a book can get your sewing to 3 so that's not too much to worry about.

DO NOT CONSUME MUTATION AGENTS WITHOUT PURIFIER ON HAND. Generally shouldn't at all if you don't have Robust Genetics; even if you do, one mutation possible is "Disintegration" which will kill you if you don't purify it immediately.

Start with high int, it's very useful in the long run. If you find CBMS, get electronics/first aid/mechanics up asap.

Be sure to pick up the first Power System+Internal Battery bionic you see. You'll need them to use any activated bionics.

Bionics to get:
  • Integrated Toolset (saves hotplate/soldering iron charges and a -lot- of inventory space)
  • Adamantium Claws (they use whatever skill you're highest in, from unarmed/bashing/piercing/cutting; and do a ton of damage. Also, they make you Wolverine! How badass is that?)
  • Repair Nanobots(Heals you for 5-10 HP on all body parts at once when used)
  • Internal Furnace (Wood and large pieces of cotton clothing burn best)
  • Recycler System (Makes food and water much less of an issue)
  • Alarm System (Prevents zombie brutes from waking you up with a fist to the face)
  • Sensory Dulling (Makes painkillers much less of an issue).

Bionics to avoid:
  • Electroshock Fists (they drain 2-3 energy for a comparatively tiny amount of extra damage in melee)
  • Metabolic Interchange (Too easy to leave something like Cranial Flashlight on and accidentally starve yourself to death)
  • Anything you're not at least 70%-ish on installation of, because a particularly bad installation can leave you with a faulty bionic like Noisemaker or Acidic Discharge.

Also, there's a pretty detailed survival guide on the old forums (new ones are http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php )

Edit for formatting.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

Seedo

Postby Seedo » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:31 pm UTC

Cataclysm is fun, but it's a lot more fun if you play with Deon's Little Mod, (http://cataclysmff.zxq.net/SMF/index.php?topic=21.0) which adds things like churches and basketball courts, new recipes and clothing, and a couple of zombie tweaks.

You can check out PunkHelmetPunk's youtube channel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDIWNohBJxc) to see some of the features of DLM. I've never played vanilla so I can't tell you the difference between that and DLM, but people have told me it's better, and I'm a useless sheep.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:45 am UTC

I got into this yesterday. It's a lot easier to get to grips with than I thought it would be and it even has a tutorial, so give it a go if you haven't already.

After a few throwaway characters, I'm in the middle of a... successful (?) game, well into my second day. My guy's had plenty of melee practice, including beating a tank* to death with a crowbar in the middle of the street, which I thought would be his last ever act. He's in pretty much constant pain now and I've no idea how I'll be tackling his opiate addiction. I tried making a safehouse by boarding up all the doors and windows in a room, but then I was sat around in the dark with little remaining battery life in the flashlight and only my sewing kit and Time magazine to keep me occupied. I appreciate it's a stressful situation, but I've taken the time to secure the room and could do with my guy sleeping for more than four hours at night.

I could do with knowing how pain is determined. Thanks to vigilant administration of first aid he's not currently in awful shape, but he has recently been and he still seems to be suffering from it. I'm attempting to handle it with painkillers as I'm concerned that the pain is going to kill him. The opiate withdrawal isn't nearly as severe as the pain, but I just don't know how bad things are going to get if I keep on taking it. Still, he's not in a position to turn the stuff down at the moment. Maybe if I can find more bandages. These pharmacies are shit, they're all pills, soft drinks and magazines.

I think I need to get out of town pretty soon, but I don't expect it to be all too peaceful out there and I don't know how I'll fight without window frames. Maybe if I take enough two by fours and panes of glass with me, I can knock up a quick wall with a window in it to fight through.

*I can't remember what the game called it, but it was described as being the size of six men.

RetSpline

Postby RetSpline » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:25 pm UTC

I don't know how exactly pain is calculated, but it does eventually go down. Healing your limbs definitely seems to help. If you think you're going to have enough time to wait it out, you might try hitting up a liquor store and getting wasted. Each drink of alcohol lowers your pain level by 1, though I wouldn't go too far past the "Drunk" state. I've read a few guides that say not to drink alcohol, but liquor stores seem like great safehouses to me. 2 windows, 2 doors, and enough molotovs to kill plenty of zombies (just don't throw them too close to the wall!)

Levi

Postby Levi » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:07 pm UTC

Every time I spot a monster, the game refuses to let me move until I've hit '!'. I'm fairly certain that's not what's supposed to happen.

Hrm. Not sure if I'm just terribly unlucky or what, but I keep getting swarmed by 20 zombies at around 9 AM before I've even found a decent weapon.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:55 pm UTC

I've mostly stayed off alcohol, excusing a cheeky shot of Whisky for courage every now and again. I've taken the warnings in this thread to heart and realising how easily I got addicted to opiates, I don't want to risk it. I considered moving on to Tramadol as I ate that stuff like candy for a week when in hospital and it caused me no problems, but it turns out that's an opiate too, so it wouldn't help. I don't think it's conceivable that my character will ever be clean again, but I'll be happy with just not making it too much worse. He'll probably be dead by the end of the second day anyway.

I've been carrying a Molotov around since I made one in my kitchen during the first five minutes of the game - at the first hint of zombie outbreak, weaponise your liquor! - but I've never seen a good opportunity to use it and I'm also a little bit scared to. If I see another one of those shocker zombies, I'm feeding it fire. I'm not sure what all that electricity is actually doing to me and it doesn't seem to hurt that much, but those guys can just fuck right off.

Levi: That's run mode and it's intentional, though not quite as you described. It's supposed to prevent you from spamming a direction key and then watching helplessly as your character runs through a pack of zombies and dies before all your commands have resolved. Pressing '!' is supposed to turn it off though, and it shouldn't come back on unless you press '!' again.

Levi

Postby Levi » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:58 pm UTC

Goldstein wrote:Levi: That's run mode and it's intentional, though not quite as you described. It's supposed to prevent you from spamming a direction key and then watching helplessly as your character runs through a pack of zombies and dies before all your commands have resolved. Pressing '!' is supposed to turn it off though, and it shouldn't come back on unless you press '!' again.

What does run mode do, exactly? I thought maybe it was a difference in speed, but you seem to suggest it is an auto-feature or something?

I've been trying to get to a clothing store for a backpack and then to a hardware store so I can board up a house for a base, but it seems like every building I want to visit except for the very first one is surrounded by zombies.

guale

Postby guale » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:45 am UTC

Levi wrote:
Goldstein wrote:Levi: That's run mode and it's intentional, though not quite as you described. It's supposed to prevent you from spamming a direction key and then watching helplessly as your character runs through a pack of zombies and dies before all your commands have resolved. Pressing '!' is supposed to turn it off though, and it shouldn't come back on unless you press '!' again.

What does run mode do, exactly? I thought maybe it was a difference in speed, but you seem to suggest it is an auto-feature or something?

I've been trying to get to a clothing store for a backpack and then to a hardware store so I can board up a house for a base, but it seems like every building I want to visit except for the very first one is surrounded by zombies.

Run mode doesn't affect your speed at all. It simply stops you when a monster is in sight so you don't charge blindly into it.

Check sporting good stores for backpacks, you can usually get a hammer and possibly nails there too. If you are trying to go into a building but there are zombies in front try looping around it once, usually that will give you enough time to get in and out with just what you need provided you search quickly.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:31 am UTC

Yeah, until you have a decent way to kill zombies running away is your best bet. A silenced handgun is pretty much a wand of death if you use it right, and a shotgun will obliterate everything in sight but will also draw every zombie in the county.

Subway stations and basements are your friend, go into one, kill the 2-3 zombies that follow you, leave and all of the zombies aboveground have dispersed.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:01 am UTC

Attachments
wham.png

Levi

Postby Levi » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:28 pm UTC

Whoops. I killed myself by stepping on a broken window.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:54 pm UTC

That was also how I died. Although the credit should really go to the bunch of zombie brutes that threw themselves at me one after another. My speed was down to 40% due to pain. Which makes it hard to fight. Going cold-turkey on those painkillers was probably a bad decision, but I don't know how far away they were from killing me anyway.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:13 pm UTC

If you have to take enough painkillers that you addict yourself to them, you're probably getting hurt too much in the first place. Avoid melee combat above encumbrance 0 in the early game, and only do hack'n'back with a light melee weapon (fists, bee/wasp sting, adamantium claws, combat knife, hammer, crowbar, hatchet; hit and back up until they fall behind one square, let them walk up to you, repeat.) until you have decent melee skill.

darkwombat

Postby darkwombat » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:34 pm UTC

Just a note that the dev has released an update -- you can now construct some terrain features (doors, windows, and the like) and inventory items autostack now, among other bugfixes/enhancements.

EclipseEnigma

Postby EclipseEnigma » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:34 am UTC

Out of curiosity, what is everyone's general strategy? I can't seem to stay alive for more than a day because I get swarmed by enemies, and I was wondering how people play. For example, is it better to fortify a room and use it as a base, or to keep moving from town to town?

Levi

Postby Levi » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:25 am UTC

EclipseEnigma wrote:Out of curiosity, what is everyone's general strategy? I can't seem to stay alive for more than a day because I get swarmed by enemies, and I was wondering how people play. For example, is it better to fortify a room and use it as a base, or to keep moving from town to town?

I think staying in one place should work, as long as you go outside to clear out the zombies as soon as they show up. I've had problems where I'll lock myself in to do some reading and come out to find hundreds of zombies surrounding the building.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:10 pm UTC

I've found constantly moving to be the best source of not-dying, actually. It's good to have a secluded base out in the forest for sleeping (set up turrets and pits, of course) and storage, but staying in that area will attract all sorts of nasties, and eventually a queen triffid will show up and box you in with forests and pain.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:08 am UTC

Best strategy so far seems to be:

A semi-permanent safe place to sleep. Leave during the day, it seems to keep baddies from really piling up (though late-game nasties really, really suck).

One or two safe-houses for emergencies, if you can take the time to set them up. Good places to stash some extra gear, especially meds/food. Basically, you know you have a place to go if a hulk just ripped you a new one and you don't think you can limp back to the countryside. These also can serve as backups in case you have to abandon your main house.

Clear out a silo. I haven't done this yet, but it has been suggested on their forums that silos/labs make great places to bunk if you can clean them out, because of the thick metal doors, long entrance hall and often underground level all keep you from attracting huge hordes.

I'm not sure how this would be affected by queen triffids and other major nasties, though. Do they always grow forests, or do that do that just to skewer you alive when they sense you?

In stores now.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:22 pm UTC

I've woken up on multiple occasions totally boxed in by forest, having to grenade my way out, so I think that's just a thing they do.

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:09 am UTC

This might seem like a stupid question, but how do you break down doors/windows once you've boarded them up? Before going to sleep, I boarded myself completely in a small room with most of the gear I'd collected, but when I got up and wanted to go looking for food, I can't break out. I smashed at one of the windows maybe 100 times (I think I have 11 Strength if that matters) to no effect. I tried my crowbar, but I can't pry the boards off, and I can't break it down with a sledge or anything.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:41 pm UTC

High explosives work, besides that you'll probably have to wait for a hulk to do it for you. Generally a better strategy is to leave a single door unboarded and bear trap it hard.

Return to “Gaming”