LA Noire

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

infernovia

LA Noire

Postby infernovia » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:17 pm UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LfZq_OdU80
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYym1U226M

I think this looks a bit more interesting than Heavy Rain. Also, the faces not looking like crap helps a lot too. Supposed to be released at May 17.

infernovia

Re: LA Noire

Postby infernovia » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:23 pm UTC

Well, I don't know if they can get it in their first try, but maybe they can get it by the second and third iteration.

Glmclain

Postby Glmclain » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:28 pm UTC

Red Dead Redemption is my favorite game ever, so I'll be pre-ordering this on day one. So cool.
You Samoans are all the same! You have no faith in the essential decency of the white man's culture!

c0smic

Postby c0smic » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:58 pm UTC

I'm going to be getting this game for sure. Unfortunately there's no version for PC :( but what can you do? I'm excited to see how the game looks as far as the expressions on character's faces for myself, and I also love the 40's time period, and who doesn't like a good Noir movie, huh?

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:13 pm UTC

Halfdantimm wrote:Same guys who made GTA, but I doubt it'll reach the legendary status of that game. :cry:

Er, not really. It's published by the same publisher, but it's not the same developer. Team Bondi hasn't released anything yet, although the head of the studio previously worked on The Getaway on PS2.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:34 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:the head of the studio previously worked on The Getaway on PS2.

I can feel my interest slipping.

infernovia

Postby infernovia » Sun May 15, 2011 3:34 pm UTC

Well, game is released in May 17th, that is 2 days away people! Will it revolutionize the industry or bust?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon May 16, 2011 1:25 pm UTC

... why are those the only two options? Why isn't the more realistic "Will make a few innovations and be largely forgotten in 5 years" option present?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon May 16, 2011 1:30 pm UTC

It's a cool new piece of tech and it represents an advance in terms of that that will probably start popping up everywhere (much like bloom, or teal/tan contrast in films) but will mostly go ignored by the consumers.

infernovia

Postby infernovia » Mon May 16, 2011 1:55 pm UTC

I am just getting excited ST, doesn't happen often.

Pretty sure its very easy to see the improvements though, but the other stuff might be low enough quality for it to not matter. I don't think I have ever played a game like this before so I really hope they have made the story and the detective work fun.

infernovia

Postby infernovia » Wed May 18, 2011 1:25 pm UTC

So I have the game, I have not played it yet due to finals. But here is one of the flaws of the game:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost ... tcount=965
Yeah, now that I think I have a better grasp on what the game needs me to think about, I'm half way through the Fallen Idol case, and I think Im going to go replay everything else today, and the finish Fallen Idol tomorrow.

I got like 2-3 stars on each case yesterday. Im not complaining that I want to just win win win, but I think the biggest flaws are:

-It needs a LITTLE injection of Phoenix Wright. In PW, you can present evidence, question anyone, and do a small scale interrogation prior to the case. Then, at trial, if you mess up, answer wrong, show the wrong evidence, you can lose twenty dollars and my self respect and get a game over screen. A lot of times I get half way through questioning in LA Noire, and realize Cole is going in a totally different direction than I was, and Im not prepared for it, and I can't back out. Being able to kind of prod for a little bit to figure out where things may go first - without penalty - would be a huge help in just figuring out HOW to think.

-The game really needed to make up its mind as to if it was going to be soul crushingly difficult (which Im fine with - this is the first, real 'police' simulation! Its tough! its high stakes!), or easier.

One crack at getting things right, and still being able to progress is fine. But the progression should be difficult. If I mess up so bad I get a huge witness to shut down, I should get a game over screen. The case should be closed. Cole should get fired.

It's just very odd feeling to be doing a poor job, KNOW Im doing a poor job, and be upset - yet motivated - to really finish strong and get the bad guy, but just end up getting him anyway and having everyone be like "Cole! You're great! Promotion!" It just makes me kind of discouraged, because as great as I want to be, I cant shake that feeling that none of this matters because i could complete the whole game just mashing one button and letting everything play out.

Overall the reactions have been positive, but no way to know until I finally crack the game in the weekend.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Sat May 28, 2011 6:48 am UTC

I have gotten 5 stars for every case except one, and my CO chewed me out for it, though I sort of got the feeling he chewed me out for not arresting the guy he wanted me to.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Sat May 28, 2011 4:40 pm UTC

I'm kind of terrible at this game. It's also really repetitive so far, which is unfortunate.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sat May 28, 2011 9:01 pm UTC

It's also like the best game ever.

It's essentially like watching a TV show. miniplots and overarching storylines. brilliant storytelling.
uhhhh fuck.

Kag

Postby Kag » Sun May 29, 2011 2:44 am UTC

Pretty much just like real police work, except you get to skip all the boring parts.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:34 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:I'm kind of terrible at this game. It's also really repetitive so far, which is unfortunate.

Yeah, this.

I don't see whats good about the story, as its just a bunch of cases that seem unrelated to each other(haven't been the game yet so I don't completely know this is true throughout). The controls are a little unresponsive, kinda the same problem I have with GTA/Red Dead Redemptions controls except worse. The gameplay also isn't that particularly interesting. Its mostly walking around finding clues, which involved nearly no effort on your own part to decipher because the game uses the vibrate function whenever you are close to one and plays music when you have found them all. Moreover it gives you a bunch of false clues to pick up and then when you pick them up the game tells you its a false clue. So they end up serving no purpose other than to waste my time. If the game didn't tell me they were false, I would have to determine that myself, which would be more interesting, or if the game just left them out I wouldn't have to constantly pickup things that serve no purpose other than extending the boring parts of the game.

So what we are left with is a game where you mostly are attempting to guess whether or not people are lying to you. Which rates somewhat higher then mediocre.

Quite frankly for a modern adventure game, I would rather play Heavy Rain again, and thats not saying a whole lot.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:23 am UTC

Dark567 wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:I'm kind of terrible at this game. It's also really repetitive so far, which is unfortunate.

Yeah, this.

I don't see whats good about the story, as its just a bunch of cases that seem unrelated to each other(haven't been the game yet so I don't completely know this is true throughout).

It isn't.

So then the rest of your complaints are mostly gameplay, which would be VERY valid if there was no story, but there is.
uhhhh fuck.

Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Postby Telchar » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:59 pm UTC

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6625747/la-noire

It's a really good review of LA Noire in the wider scope of trying to tell naratives in video games. I found it very thought provoking.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

c0smic

Postby c0smic » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:38 am UTC

Just as a kind of update to this game, Team Bondi is being sued for having terrible working conditions for their employees making this game. There were often 100-hour work weeks and close deadlines. I also read that now Rockstar and Team Bondi aren't at good terms with each other at all either, and probably won't make another game together... :|

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:37 pm UTC

c0smic wrote:Team Bondi is being sued for having terrible working conditions for their employees making this game. There were often 100-hour work weeks and close deadlines.
Umm ... welcome to the software development world ya bunch of fuckin babies.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:45 am UTC

So I played through the PC version that came out recently.
ADORED the writing and storytelling. Really got emotionally invested in the characters in the end.

The levelup system annoyed me... I never actually got to run around in the final outfit you could unlock...
Game isn't close to perfect gameplay wise (hunting for clues and puzzling the story together in your head was fun.... trying to guess which responses to give was... annoying). Presentation wise it was awesome. Well acted too.

Freaking Denethor showed up too :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

infernovia

Postby infernovia » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:29 am UTC

I was playing this game, and then I started trying out old adventure games and found them about a billion times more compelling.

Dark567 wrote:I don't see whats good about the story, as its just a bunch of cases that seem unrelated to each other(haven't been the game yet so I don't completely know this is true throughout). The controls are a little unresponsive, kinda the same problem I have with GTA/Red Dead Redemptions controls except worse. The gameplay also isn't that particularly interesting. Its mostly walking around finding clues, which involved nearly no effort on your own part to decipher because the game uses the vibrate function whenever you are close to one and plays music when you have found them all. Moreover it gives you a bunch of false clues to pick up and then when you pick them up the game tells you its a false clue. So they end up serving no purpose other than to waste my time. If the game didn't tell me they were false, I would have to determine that myself, which would be more interesting, or if the game just left them out I wouldn't have to constantly pickup things that serve no purpose other than extending the boring parts of the game.

So what we are left with is a game where you mostly are attempting to guess whether or not people are lying to you.

This is a pretty decent review of the game. Also, the story can bite it.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:18 pm UTC

I thought the cases get very obviously related pretty early on, and the story eventually ties them together. Annoying part is that I knew before my character dude was allowed to, so you can't follow through.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:41 pm UTC

So, how many times am I going to accuse someone of lying about something (which they really obviously are) and then the game is going to decide I'm talking about a different part of their story?

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:47 pm UTC

Enough times to make me quit playing the game.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:29 pm UTC

Yeah. I stopped playing shortly after I hit arson, at which point I was already bored of it. I have no desire to go back.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:51 pm UTC

Okay, I've found the real trick is to not act like I'm playing Phoenix Wright. I don't get to object, pick a very specific piece of their statement apart, and present contradictions. No. The choices are be nice, or be a dick.

I think I like Phoenix Wright better.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:14 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:Okay, I've found the real trick is to not act like I'm playing Phoenix Wright. I don't get to object, pick a very specific piece of their statement apart, and present contradictions. No. The choices are be nice, or be a dick.

I think I like Phoenix Wright better.

I felt exactly the same way, so ditched this game and went out and bought Phoenix Wright; something I wish the developers had done before making this game.

infernovia

Postby infernovia » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:01 pm UTC

AmnesiaSoft wrote:So, how many times am I going to accuse someone of lying about something (which they really obviously are) and then the game is going to decide I'm talking about a different part of their story?

You basically always hit lie. If he does accuses them of anything besides starting the holocaust, large scale infanticide and killing puppy just for fun, you know they are lying. If they aren't lying, just back out. It's so deep how they made the one thing worthwhile about the game, the ability to detect lying through looking at body language, completely pointless. You think they will do something clever and useful with their technology but instead they just burn it on the most immersion breaking conversations ever.

A very simple design would have been to allow the player to ask ice breakers or general question to help the player see the habits of the suspect. This way, if the player didn't detect a lie (which should be renamed to ACCUSE!) then you don't allow the player to back out. Not that any of it really matters cuz you get promoted ANYWAY, making everything completely pointless.

Anyway, like I said before, the game is terrible. This is definitely not what I was hoping for and will certainly not change the industry in any manner. The technology is interesting, but it needs more work or it needs to be in the hands of more talented artists. In terms of immersion, older adventure games like The Last Express are miles and miles ahead of this game.
Last edited by infernovia on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:58 am UTC

el_loco_avs wrote:I thought the cases get very obviously related pretty early on, and the story eventually ties them together. Annoying part is that I knew before my character dude was allowed to, so you can't follow through.
Necroing two years later to second how annoying this is. They're clearly dropping hints to that effect, but Cole has to continue to play dumb and ignore the things he himself says.

I'm doing the White Shoe Slaying now, and I keep wondering if and when it will occur to anyone to go check out this Crystal Ballroom place everyone seems to know the victim went to before she was killed. I mean, I get the option to investigate every other location anyone mentions, even when it makes exactly no sense to do so at first (like the high school or the fruit market), but the last place anyone saw this woman alive (except for the claims of a guy who is currently the prime suspect) isn't worth even glancing into?

It was worth the $5 or so I paid for it on Steam, for sure, but I definitely feel bad for folks who paid full price.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

OklahomaJoe

Postby OklahomaJoe » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:49 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:It was worth the $5 or so I paid for it on Steam, for sure, but I definitely feel bad for folks who paid full price.

I'm getting to the point where I feel anything more than $20 is way too much, especially since very few games have meaningful demos available. Nothing worse than paying $60 for a game, realizing it's a piece of garbage, and then thinking "christ, I just tacitly endorsed this terrible behavior by buying the game."

Return to “Gaming”