The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim : Bacon Workshop

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Levi

Re: The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim : Dual Wield Bacon

Postby Levi » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:18 am UTC

I was able to install from the disk.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:17 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:Does Steam still do that thing where if you buy the physical copy of a steam activated game, you still have to download the entire game before it will let you play?

I'm debating whether to just buy from steam, or trade in some of my old games and save a few bucks on a physical copy, but if it's gonna take me a few hours of downloading either way, I'll probably just buy from Steam,

Steam has never done that for me - I've installed Skyrim and several other games from disk with no problems. I think there was just a one-off bug that prevented specific games from installing properly, I've seen patch notes saying installing from disc was fixed for such-and-such a game on the Steam news page.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:37 am UTC

Kain wrote:Oh, and I totally missed the guardian stones at the start as well... After all, the guy does say "We should split up," so I did.
I have no clue why he says that, because then he immediately starts pointing out things you should know along the road, and then thanks you for walking with him (if you do).

You, sir, name? wrote:2h is also good against large number of enemies, while I imagine dw is pretty damn good against mages (they absolutely steamroll 2h).
Really? For quite some time I found using 2h against mages to be better than using destruction against them.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:20 am UTC

EmptySet wrote:Speaking of alteration, does anyone find the armourskin spells to be useful? I rarely cast them because as a Destruction mage, most fights just involve me staggering my opponent with Impact until they die and thus I hardly ever get hit with weapons. As a result I have no idea how much damage they actually prevent. I don't know whether I should spend perks on Mage Armour, or wear normal armour, or just continue ignoring it like I have been.

Well, they are very good spells for training Alteration, which you WILL want if only for the 30% resist magic and 30% absorption perks. I save other mages for last, since they keep charging my fireballs to take out the draugr elite mooks or whatever. Plus, paralyze. As for damage control, with the 3 perks it's like having a full set of epic dragon light armor with a couple of light armor perks, so it blocks the majority of melee/bow damage. The main drawback I have is that I use the dragonkin masks (specifically, the one that gives +100% mana regen) which count as light armor, so I can't use the perk with that equipped. You also have to spend an extra perk to make alteration spells last longer (1 minute is not enough when armor matters), though you want that anyway for paralyze.

If you want max protection, you can just get heavy armor and smithing and spend a few perks in there so you get more defence and no movement penalty. 100 smith is very easy to get. Just buy up every last iron ore/ingot and leather/strip in Whiterun (3 smiths there that sell), make nothing but iron daggers and leather bracers. Bit of a coinloss, but much cheaper than using a trainer.
Last edited by CorruptUser on Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:40 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Cadiac

Postby Cadiac » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:37 am UTC

Uh, am I doing something wrong?

Spoiler:
I just got the shout "Throw Voice", and immediately spent 3 souls on it to get all three words for it. It says the recharge time is 30/15/5, so I assumed the cooldown was reduced by each word you knew? Well, I have them all and the cooldown is still 30 seconds, but looking at videos from youtube they all have 5 sec cooldown for it? I play on pc btw, and I'm wearing the Nightingale set + some random items..
Last edited by Cadiac on Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:47 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:43 am UTC

Are you using the full shout? You need to hold down the key to say all the words.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Cadiac

Postby Cadiac » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:48 am UTC

Ah, that's why. It's my first multi word shout, didn't know you had to hold the key. Thanks!

Obby

Postby Obby » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:31 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:
Obby wrote:So I have no idea how to finish this quest.

I'm stuck in the middle of this Companions quest where I have to retrieve the fragment of Wuuthrad. Everywhere I've checked online says there's a chest inside the tower thing where the quest marker is that has the fragment in it (though, none of the guides are very specific, so it's possible I just missed it). I've found two chests inside (after killing everything inside) but neither of them have the fragment, and I can't find an item code for the fragment to generate it on my character so I can complete the quest.

Any ideas?

The one at Redoran, or Dustman's Cairn?

Neither, IIRC. The tower name began with an F... Folddar's? Fulldar's? Something like that.

I actually figured it out, though. There was a semi-hidden door on the battlements outside of the tower, with the chest containing the fragment being at the top of the tower. No guide online mentioned that it was actually outside in the environment, and the quest marker only pointed into the dungeon for me.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:29 pm UTC

What the hell am I reading?!?

Spoiler:
Back in February, we threw down a challenge: if anyone delivered a child on 11.11.11 and named him/her Dovahkiin, we would provide free Bethesda games for life. Today we congratulate proud parents Megan and Eric Kellermeyer for completing the quest. As noted on their webcomic site (and documents shared with us), Megan gave birth to Dovahkiin Tom Kellermeyer last Friday at 6:08 pm PST.

I've seen this done before by fans of games but doing it for profit is something else entirely.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:52 pm UTC

Random note. One of the things I'm glad they added were ways to display weapons and armor. I always felt a little silly selling a daedric artifact to a shopkeeper for a thousand gold, but now I have Spellbreaker, the mace of Molag Bal, and the Sanguine Rose all hung up on display. I also have Mehrune's Razor, but I'm using it, and that...undead killing sword but I forgot the name. Dawnbreaker? That one's on a plaque in my house in Markath.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:55 pm UTC

Yeah... Not sure how I feel about that. I mean, how are his parents going to explain that to him? "Yo, son, I named you this ridiculous name so I could free video games."
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:56 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:Yeah... Not sure how I feel about that. I mean, how are his parents going to explain that to him? "Yo, son, I named you this ridiculous name so I could free video games."

Obviously not, the conversation will be: "Son, you are Dovahkiin. Dragon born. It's time you learned the power of your voice."
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

Cadiac

Postby Cadiac » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:04 pm UTC

And I dont know, I like the name.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:12 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:"Yo, son, I named you this ridiculous name so I could free video games."

This is the problem.

I'm ok with someone naming their kid after a game character as long as it isn't for profit. They I don't think they were going to name him that until Bethesda put out the "contest" so that would make the intent pretty clear.
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Kain

Postby Kain » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:28 pm UTC

Lostdreams wrote:
Dark567 wrote:"Yo, son, I named you this ridiculous name so I could free video games."

This is the problem.

I'm ok with someone naming their kid after a game character as long as it isn't for profit. They I don't think they were going to name him that until Bethesda put out the "contest" so that would make the intent pretty clear.

Considering the contest was announced 9 months prior to the release date, I would say another important question is whether the parents even wanted a child in the first place. I mean, sure, they probably wouldn't get pregnant just for the sake of a lifetime of free video games, but... people do strange things...
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:59 pm UTC

I wonder how long that kid would have to live to make up the TCO of a child in free Bethesda games...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:06 pm UTC

Assuming health insurance and that Bethesda makes five $60 games a year for the next 100 years, about the fifteen minute mark is where the kid gets more expensive.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:35 pm UTC

With an interest rate of 5%, that $300 is worth roughly $6k. Assuming Bethesda will last a full century.

To Bethesda, the cost is maybe a twentieth that, as production is pennies and the S/H is almost free through Steam. I doubt the couple would've bought every single game Bethesda produced. Spend $300 to ruin some kid's life? Good deal to me <maniacal laughter>.

Obby

Postby Obby » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:41 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:With an interest rate of 5%, that $300 is worth roughly $6k. Assuming Bethesda will last a full century.

To Bethesda, the cost is maybe a twentieth that, as production is pennies and the S/H is almost free through Steam. I doubt the couple would've bought every single game Bethesda produced. Spend $300 to ruin some kid's life? Good deal to me <maniacal laughter>.

I'll have to see if I can dig up the article, but I remember reading elsewhere that the kid has a relatively normal middle name, and the parents are intending to use that instead.

Which is a shame. Dovahkiin isn't really that bad. I've certainly met people with more strange sounding names (as an American English speaker, so I guess YMMV).
The story so far:
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Dason

Postby Dason » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:57 pm UTC

Obby wrote:I'll have to see if I can dig up the article, but I remember reading elsewhere that the kid has a relatively normal middle name, and the parents are intending to use that instead.

If Lostdreams isn't a lying bastard that distorts articles I'm too lazy to follow the link to then their middle name is Tom: viewtopic.php?p=2819150#p2819150

Side Question: @Lostdreams - are you a lying bastard?
double epsilon = -.0000001;

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:07 pm UTC

Hm... everyone seems to have remarkably not noticed that Lostdreams actually said that his middle name is Tom. It's true! It's right there! I'm not making this up, go look at the post.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:07 pm UTC

I actually think Dovahkiin is a pretty decent first name. Shortens to Dove, which is also nice.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:12 pm UTC

Dason wrote:Side Question: @Lostdreams - are you a lying bastard?

Not if I can help it, generally.

Dason

Postby Dason » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:16 pm UTC

Lostdreams wrote:

Awesome. Feel free to have the other granola bar in the pack that I am currently consuming. This is a limited time offer.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:47 pm UTC

Dason wrote:
Lostdreams wrote:

Awesome. Feel free to have the other granola bar in the pack that I am currently consuming. This is a limited time offer.

Excellent, I do enjoy granola. *nomnomnomnom*

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:53 pm UTC

Turns out the Motherboard is busted, so I'm getting a (mostly) new computer! It's half good (More than 2 FPS for once), and half bad (money and time).
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:31 pm UTC

Out of interest who else used the console and cheated a bit? I increased my carry capacity by 100 or so when I couldn't be bothered to throw things away, and I used god mod once to surivive the fall from mountain (that was today, I just defeated an elder dragon and the top of the mountain hat ledges and I walked on one of them, my follower followed me and when trying to get past her I fell. My last save was in winterrun and fighting dragons on mountains is annoying.)
Anyway carrying more isn't a game breaking advantage (well i guess you could carry 200 extra potions) so I will leave it in it's modified state.
Oh and which enchantments do you use, I just put paralyze and life steal on my bow. Paralyze probably won't work on any hard enemies but it looks amusing when they keel over.

Obby

Postby Obby » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:43 pm UTC

The only console cheat I've used to far is to give myself 1000 gold. I wanted that horse in the beginning, goddamnit.

Aside from that, I haven't needed to use it again. I'm currently sitting on about 13k gold at level 19. I just don't have anything else to spend it on anymore until I discover another place to buy a house.
The story so far:

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:50 pm UTC

I put 2 perks in speech so that I can sell anything to all merchants, since then I basically pay in potions.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:54 pm UTC

Only thing I've used the console for is "fov 75" because the view is a bit narrow and started to make me motion sick. I need to figure out if that's in the .ini file somewhere though because I have to redo it every time I start up the game.

I haven't cheated with it yet though, I see little reason to, though it was tempting to revive Lydia or to kill a boss I was having trouble with.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:59 pm UTC

Haven't used on console cheats, but I did use the console to for the sexchange command to remove an arrow that was sticking out of my char.

I'm around level 31 now, maxed out Blacksmithing, one hand is at ~65-70, block and light armor in the 50s somewhere. I was going to work on enchanting but it was just pissing me off at how annoying it was to improve. I'll let it level by recharging items and maybe enchanting things with extra soul gems to sell for more money. Finished the Companions and Dark Brotherhood quest lines which were pretty interesting.

Spoiler:
Shadowmere is a monster in combat too. He tanked a Blood Dragon for me while I cut it up

Also got the Mace of Molag Bal and Black Azura's star which work pretty well together. Main weapon is still a glass sword with a 20 damage fire enchant on it that I found. Similarly I have a glass frost bow and a soul trap dwarven bow. I've run out of hotkeys which is kinda annoying though:
1: Sword/Shield (dps)
2: Glass bow (dps)
3: Dwarven bow (soul trapping)
4: Mace of Molag Bal (soul trapping)
5, 6: One hand ring and Dragon helm
7,8: Archery ring and Archery hood

I could easily make/buy some more archery/one-hand items but I don't have enough hotkeys to easily switch between them. Its annoying to have to go through the alphabetical order favorites list to do it. I need to find a mod for more hotkeys which I imagine should be out there somewhere.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:10 pm UTC

Finished the main quest and I can confirm dragons are still there, as I've killed 3 after defeating the big bad.

Just a question about Paarthurnax after the end
Spoiler:
Did he just use me to get Alduin out of the way? Should I take his final speech as: 'Gonna rule the dragons now, kthxbye!' or is he going to unite them and teach them to be peaceful. 'Cause if it's number one, I might just reload an old save and kill him before I kill Alduin!

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:45 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:Finished the main quest and I can confirm dragons are still there, as I've killed 3 after defeating the big bad.

Spoiler:
Did he just use me to get Alduin out of the way? Should I take his final speech as: 'Gonna rule the dragons now, kthxbye!' or is he going to unite them and teach them to be peaceful. 'Cause if it's number one, I might just reload an old save and kill him before I kill Alduin!

Spoiler:
So far as I know, it is ambiguous. But I was reminded of an earlier quest, where at the end I was remarked at "You're too good to fall for a pretty face so easily" and it got me worrying about Paarthuurnax.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:48 pm UTC

Thanks for the info on post-MQ dragons, been looking for that for a while :)

Wonder how that'll fit in with the next games' lore...
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Reassuring Curve

Postby Reassuring Curve » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:50 pm UTC

fov 90
player.setav carryweight 1000
showquesttargets
movetoqt
tcl (bugs)
setstage (more bugs)
setav health 1 (for fistfights; I play pure mage on masters, no chance in hell otherwise).

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:56 pm UTC

Reassuring Curve wrote:setav health 1 (for fistfights; I play pure mage on masters, no chance in hell otherwise).
Whiner, they're totally possible as pure mage, you just suck.

I'll admit that punching a guy for the tinyest sliver of his health at a time can be... slow... though. :P

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:59 pm UTC

Reassuring Curve wrote:setav health 1 (for fistfights; I play pure mage on masters, no chance in hell otherwise).

Just cheat. Restoration magic works fine during brawls.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:01 pm UTC

PeteP wrote:Out of interest who else used the console and cheated a bit? I increased my carry capacity by 100 or so when I couldn't be bothered to throw things away, and I used god mod once to surivive the fall from mountain (that was today, I just defeated an elder dragon and the top of the mountain hat ledges and I walked on one of them, my follower followed me and when trying to get past her I fell. My last save was in winterrun and fighting dragons on mountains is annoying.)
Anyway carrying more isn't a game breaking advantage (well i guess you could carry 200 extra potions) so I will leave it in it's modified state.
Oh and which enchantments do you use, I just put paralyze and life steal on my bow. Paralyze probably won't work on any hard enemies but it looks amusing when they keel over.

I've used tcl + tgm combined with whirlwind sprinting for travelling large distances quickly, I've also noclipped to get out of the odd bug. I also gave a shopkeeper a load of gold because the way they run out gold 1. doesn't make sense (really cheap things don't lower their gold) and 2. is too much (they run out too quickly, an entire town's shopkeepers run out of gold after one good dungeon crawl).

ArgonV wrote:Finished the main quest and I can confirm dragons are still there, as I've killed 3 after defeating the big bad.

Spoiler:

RE:post-mq dragons, yay! Now I can complete the main quest without fear of being short loads of shouts.

Spoiler:
If you kill paarthurnax (as I did), he starts by saying you should never trust a dragon (he never would). It's pretty ambiguous, but I'd take it to mean he probably is going to take over and, whilst maybe being a bit nicer than alduin (he seems rather fond of the world for one thing), he probably isn't going to stop them all from attacking people.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:15 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:
PeteP wrote:Out of interest who else used the console and cheated a bit? I increased my carry capacity by 100 or so when I couldn't be bothered to throw things away, and I used god mod once to surivive the fall from mountain (that was today, I just defeated an elder dragon and the top of the mountain hat ledges and I walked on one of them, my follower followed me and when trying to get past her I fell. My last save was in winterrun and fighting dragons on mountains is annoying.)

I've used tcl + tgm combined with whirlwind sprinting for travelling large distances quickly, I've also noclipped to get out of the odd bug. I also gave a shopkeeper a load of gold because the way they run out gold 1. doesn't make sense (really cheap things don't lower their gold) and 2. is too much (they run out too quickly, an entire town's shopkeepers run out of gold after one good dungeon crawl).

Apparently, spouses make great merchants

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:44 pm UTC

One thing I'm annoyed about is that higher level destruction spells are just plain bad. They have a lower damage to magicka ratio, and while their DPS is better, that doesn't really matter much because they still can't defeat the toughest enemies before your magic pool will run out (working on more destruction echantments, but this is even with higher level equipment). And that's before you even take into account stunning, which makes dual casting lower level spells way better.

Return to “Gaming”