Dork Soulds

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Ratiqu
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:36 pm UTC

Dork Soulds

Postby Ratiqu » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:32 pm UTC

Spiritual successor to Demon's Souls, apparently, and I believe it. From the trailer, it looks just as hellishly difficult, though it's hard to tell. And it's on the 360 now, too!

Regardless, I'm pretty excited for this. Demon's Souls was the first proper mindfuck I'd had since Metroid: Fusion at 8 years old. Though I have to say, I just started Dead Space the other day and I'm a little more afraid of the dark now...

But yeah, on topic. Thoughts, hopes, fears for this not-technically-a-sequel? Personally, I'm hoping for improved messaging systems and better PvP. Oh, and that World Tendencies don't reset every time you connect to the server this time 'round.
Mario did mushrooms until '96! Donkey Kong is a convicted kidnapper! Link is a satanist! He eats hearts to restore his strength!

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Project Dark

Postby emceng » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:56 pm UTC

Bumping this, because Dark Souls comes out in one week. I am super excited. Probably more excited for this game than any other this year(unless TOR actually comes out).

Demon's Souls was amazing. The world, the scenery, the darkness. It was hard too. Super hard. It could be incredibly frustrating, but it also was rewarding when you beat a boss, or did something cool.

Dark Souls looks to expand on that. More of an open world to explore, but more enemies, and they respawn. This may be my pick to play instead of Skyrim for quite a while.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Project Dark

Postby emceng » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:03 pm UTC

Yes double post. Sue me. Or, to be more productive - go buy Dark Souls! I don't know why no one else here wants to talk about it. Hell, I heard that places oversold the collector's edition, and there was a shortage! It seems to be selling very well.

Anyone else played it so far? I haven't had much time on it yet, but what I did I really enjoyed. The combat is very similar, targeting, controls, etc. all like Demon's Souls. The scenery and views - Wow. Just wow. They did an amazing job with the environment.

Again, it's not easy. Died a fair amount in the tutorial. They don't explain everything, but the inventory system is slightly improved and gives more info. Still getting used to the changes in the menu.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26201
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Project Dark

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

Man, I need to go buy this. My problem is, basically, finding a store. I think there's a non-gamestop place I can get it. Should be able to.. I think they're still there.. maybe...
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Chen
Posts: 5470
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Project Dark

Postby Chen » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:01 pm UTC

Not having played Demon Souls certainly didn't help when I started this. The controls are fairly unintuitive at first, with melee attacks not being the actual buttons but rather the triggers. That got me killed a few times. The combat is tough but not in an unfair way. The fire throwing zombies are kind of a pain in the ass though with no real ranged weapon. I've quickly learned that impatience in combat gets you killed EXTREMELY fast. Also locking targets in a multi-enemy fight is a pretty bad idea. I'm not sure if the game is supposed to be grindy but things seem ridiculously expensive. 4k souls for the lowest healing spell seems very pricy without grinding. Of course that may also be because I'm dying fairly frequently which is causing me to lose the souls I do collect. Leveling is fast currently since its only about 1k per point so I usually have enough to level. But saving up seems like an excercise in futility at this point. I don't particularly mind grindy games in any case so this isnt that big an issue. The one point that continues to annoy me is that when exiting the menus you have to exit twice. Once from the full screen menu and then once from the small taskbar like thing that appears on the top right. I've died a few times already to not being able to do anything because I didn't realize that top menu was open. Would it really have been that bad to exit the full screen menus back into the game? You can even select the other menu options from the full screen one so there's almost no reason at all to have to go back to the mini menu when exiting.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Project Dark

Postby emceng » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:38 pm UTC

Yeah, not playing Demon's Souls will be an impediment.

The double menu close definitely got me killed a few times. It's annoying, but becomes habit.

Patience is incredibly important. Even high level players can get dropped if they try to rush.

Dying all the time is normal. In Demon's I died to every single enemy in the first level at least one time. The costs for items/spells aren't that out of line though. I'm not super far in, but if it's like Demon's, you'll find stronger enemies that give you significantly more souls. At least for the last one, no grinding was required. It was a good idea to do a bit to get levels for more stats, but you could beat the game without grinding. Early on it might be better to explore and use your souls for levels, instead of purchases. Once you are stronger and know the areas it is much easier to collect souls in bigger amounts.

I am stoked, didn't get to play last night at all, but tonight I can sit down with it some more.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Chen
Posts: 5470
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Project Dark

Postby Chen » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:46 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Yeah, not playing Demon's Souls will be an impediment.

The double menu close definitely got me killed a few times. It's annoying, but becomes habit.

Patience is incredibly important. Even high level players can get dropped if they try to rush.

Dying all the time is normal. In Demon's I died to every single enemy in the first level at least one time. The costs for items/spells aren't that out of line though. I'm not super far in, but if it's like Demon's, you'll find stronger enemies that give you significantly more souls. At least for the last one, no grinding was required. It was a good idea to do a bit to get levels for more stats, but you could beat the game without grinding. Early on it might be better to explore and use your souls for levels, instead of purchases. Once you are stronger and know the areas it is much easier to collect souls in bigger amounts.

I am stoked, didn't get to play last night at all, but tonight I can sit down with it some more.


Yeah I have been throwing most of my souls into levels currently since I have a nice spear that I need 1 more Str to use (found it in a suicide run into the graveyard). Another thing I couldn't figure out are the letters next to some of the Stats that are on weapons. I mean my scimitar is E under the Str symbol and B under the Dex symbol. I have no clue what that means and it doesn't seem to be explained anywhere.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Project Dark

Postby emceng » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:28 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
emceng wrote:Yeah, not playing Demon's Souls will be an impediment.

The double menu close definitely got me killed a few times. It's annoying, but becomes habit.

Patience is incredibly important. Even high level players can get dropped if they try to rush.

Dying all the time is normal. In Demon's I died to every single enemy in the first level at least one time. The costs for items/spells aren't that out of line though. I'm not super far in, but if it's like Demon's, you'll find stronger enemies that give you significantly more souls. At least for the last one, no grinding was required. It was a good idea to do a bit to get levels for more stats, but you could beat the game without grinding. Early on it might be better to explore and use your souls for levels, instead of purchases. Once you are stronger and know the areas it is much easier to collect souls in bigger amounts.

I am stoked, didn't get to play last night at all, but tonight I can sit down with it some more.


Yeah I have been throwing most of my souls into levels currently since I have a nice spear that I need 1 more Str to use (found it in a suicide run into the graveyard). Another thing I couldn't figure out are the letters next to some of the Stats that are on weapons. I mean my scimitar is E under the Str symbol and B under the Dex symbol. I have no clue what that means and it doesn't seem to be explained anywhere.



Ok, you get bonus damage based on those numbers. The letters from best to worst are S, A, B, C, D, E. You get bonus damage based on the stat, and the letter. So for example for your scimitar, you get bonus damage from your STR and DEX, and more bonus damage from the DEX because of a better letter(assuming your STR and DEX are the same). Using made up numbers - say you have 10 STR and 10 DEX. You'll get 15 bonus damage from your dex, and 5 from STR.

This bonus shows up when you look at weapons. There is a base damage number, then there should be a +number in the next column. That's the bonus damage from the extra stats. Not sure for Dark, but there's probably 4 potential bonuses - str, dex, int, and religion(or whatever the faith one is). You want to find weapons that match your build. If you are building mainly a melee fighter, you'll want weapons that have say an S or A bonus for STR. Int weapons for mages, etc.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Chen
Posts: 5470
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Project Dark

Postby Chen » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:40 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Ok, you get bonus damage based on those numbers. The letters from best to worst are S, A, B, C, D, E. You get bonus damage based on the stat, and the letter. So for example for your scimitar, you get bonus damage from your STR and DEX, and more bonus damage from the DEX because of a better letter(assuming your STR and DEX are the same). Using made up numbers - say you have 10 STR and 10 DEX. You'll get 15 bonus damage from your dex, and 5 from STR.

This bonus shows up when you look at weapons. There is a base damage number, then there should be a +number in the next column. That's the bonus damage from the extra stats. Not sure for Dark, but there's probably 4 potential bonuses - str, dex, int, and religion(or whatever the faith one is). You want to find weapons that match your build. If you are building mainly a melee fighter, you'll want weapons that have say an S or A bonus for STR. Int weapons for mages, etc.


Ah that makes sense. So its included in the + bonus already, but the lettering tells me how well its going to scale later. Since the spear I found is more damage but a lower letter that might mean its better now, but eventually if I keep raising dex my scimitar may actually outclass it?

Oh and the faith based stat is called...Faith :P

User avatar
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist
Posts: 8635
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Basingstoke, England.
Contact:

Re: Project Dark

Postby Jesse » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:19 pm UTC

Neither got released on PC, so no playing for me. Makes me sad :(

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Project Dark

Postby emceng » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:27 pm UTC

Chen wrote:Ah that makes sense. So its included in the + bonus already, but the lettering tells me how well its going to scale later. Since the spear I found is more damage but a lower letter that might mean its better now, but eventually if I keep raising dex my scimitar may actually outclass it?

Oh and the faith based stat is called...Faith :P


Yep, exactly. Certain weapons are great for certain builds. So yeah, what stats you concentrate on, and what weapons correspond to those stats.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Chen
Posts: 5470
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Project Dark

Postby Chen » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:41 am UTC

Played more yesterday. Putting it in spoilers since there's a number of plot points.

Spoiler:
Killed the Taurus demon pretty easily, though the first time he knocked me off the cliff. Was much easier when I figured to climb the tower and jump on him which took off more than half his life. Stopped using my scimitar since I found a nice magic sword near some drake in the valley of the drakes. Of course the drake killed me dead but I still managed to grab the sword and shield near him. There's another shiny nearby but now the drake is constantly spewing out some sort of purple death so I decided not to try and run by it.

The dragon guarding the bridge is a pain in the ass. I only got by it because it didn't seem to breath on the bridge at one point for a long time and I managed to run down the stairs nearby. Shot off its tail and got the Drake Sword but I don't have the strength to use it yet (since I had to spend some points on faith to use the magic sword). Its pretty funny how deadly some of the areas are. I climbed a tower and behold a knight in gold armor one shot me. Climbed down a tower in another area and bam killed by a big hammer thing. I wish there was some indication of how strong something was before just trying to hit it. There's a big knight in black armor in the Undead Parish, but he's killable. That gold knight who doesn't look nearly as big or intimidating is completely unkillable at this point (my weapon was doing like 3-5 damage to him, unblocked).

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Project Dark

Postby emceng » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:26 pm UTC

So I am doing my best not to read any spoilers. I want to experience the whole game on my own, as much as possible. That said, I'll discuss things I've already beaten, so...

Spoiler:
Took down the Taurus demon. Was relatively easy, once I found there was a ladder to climb up and kill those damned crossbowmen.

Have also killed the boar, black knight, and mage/priest guy. Boar took a few tries, knight was easy because I summoned another player. Released some guy in gold armor, need to find out what my reward is though. Also have another key that I don't know what to do with, though it may be for the bottom of the Taurus demon's tower.

I am growing a little frustrated at this point though, because I am stuck. There are five paths I can take, but I can't really go anywhere on any of them. I'm at Maneaster 2(the twin gargoyles), The Butterfly, and three other places. Each of the others I am stymied by normal mobs - ghosts, diamond guys, and skeletons. The big issue is that I do very little damage to any of them. I'm hitting them for maybe 15-22 damage each time. They all have a fair amount of hit points, and when facing 2, or even 1, hitting for so little means 1) it takes forever to kill them and 2) there's much more room for error.

I am trying to do a magic build, but haven't found any new spells. I'm stuck with just the fireball I started with, which is of limited use. I have also found zero weapons that have damage bonuses based on magic/INT. Oh, and I'm around level 20 at this point.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
Vapour
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:19 am UTC
Location: Forest and Hills Zone.

Re: Project Dark

Postby Vapour » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:06 pm UTC

Oh god, so many deaths.

Level 7 wander at the bonfire before the Taurus Demon. Didn't notice the ladder to the skeletons so struggled to do anything to the demon.

Resorted to farming souls at bonfire for a bit.


Best point so far would be on the way to the Taurus Demon, instead of going into the tower, I decided to go down the steps which lead into an alleyway. From there, I saw a figure stood in the door way.

Thought to myself 'Oh, he looks human, lets run up to him'

NOPE, the thing* turns around and proceeds to take off like half my health, so I run back to the previous courtyard and climb up the ladder. Hoping to be able to get easy hits on it when it climbs. Turns out it can't climb, so it sits there and after a minute or so, wanders off further into the map. Seeing the perfect opportunity, I rush to where I first met it and find a corpse to loot, receiving a ring which grants extra def when low on hp.

Feeling smug with myself, I trot back up to the tower intending to carry on with my game. For me to find that the thing is back and now charging down the stairs. It then takes off the rest of my health and another death is added to pile.**

*Turns out to be a Dark Knight
**Girly screaming is had throughout.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Dork Soulds

Postby emceng » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

Played more Monday night. It was brutal.

Spoiler:
Tried the gargoyles again. ABout 15 times. It goes great until the second one shows up, then I am screwed.

Found another path to take, and explored and had some fun. Found a guy to teach me spells. Then I found the Capra Demon. Reminded me of Roberto from Futurama. Lots of stabbing me in a tiny little space. Tried him maybe 10 times, at least three times my attempt lasted less than 30 seconds.

We'll see what happens tonight. Maybe I'll try the dragon or butterfly. Or farm souls to open the garden door. The one thing I really need though is a better weapon. I'm a mage, I shouldn't be using a freaking battle axe.

Hmmm, and I wonder if Soul Arrow will be more effective against that giant crippled dude by the blacksmith.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
Endless Mike
Posts: 3204
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:04 pm UTC

Re: Project Dark

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:37 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:Neither got released on PC, so no playing for me. Makes me sad :(

Playing Demon's Souls made me sad, so I have no intention of bothering with this.

ProZac
Posts: 891
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 3:57 pm UTC

Re: Dork Soulds

Postby ProZac » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:28 pm UTC

Note to self: I should pay more attention to threads in the gaming forum if I don't realize what the topic is referencing. I never made the Project Dark -> Dark Souls connection until the thread rename.

I have it, it's sitting next to my PS3. I got Catherine at the same time and opted to play it first, but I'll probably start this tonight. I played the hell out of Demon's Souls and loved it, so any "out the door" advice for me going in? I did start it up and kinda poke around character creation. Guessing it's like Demon's Souls in that "lowest level class is technically optimal class?"

User avatar
Vapour
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:19 am UTC
Location: Forest and Hills Zone.

Re: Dork Soulds

Postby Vapour » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:39 pm UTC

Only good can come from rolling Deprived.

No armour, a wooden stick and a plank for a shield.

Woo

I went Wanderer, but might reroll Warrior or knight.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Dork Soulds

Postby emceng » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:42 pm UTC

Same basics of Demon's Souls.

Sorceror is easy mode
Use your freaking shield
You're going to die all the time
Yeah, the lowest level guy allows the most customization - also has the worst gear to start
Otherwise - go enjoy!
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

ProZac
Posts: 891
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 3:57 pm UTC

Re: Dork Soulds

Postby ProZac » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:15 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Use your freaking shield

Actually, I never did this in Demon's Souls. Well, I did, I had that nice health regen shield that I loved so very very much. But eventually it became clear I was just regen'ing health I lost through blocking. I eventually threw away my shield, wielded all weapons 2 handed, and relied I dodging exclusively. Worked out for me much better.

Chen
Posts: 5470
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Dork Soulds

Postby Chen » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:49 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Played more Monday night. It was brutal.

Spoiler:
Tried the gargoyles again. ABout 15 times. It goes great until the second one shows up, then I am screwed.

Found another path to take, and explored and had some fun. Found a guy to teach me spells. Then I found the Capra Demon. Reminded me of Roberto from Futurama. Lots of stabbing me in a tiny little space. Tried him maybe 10 times, at least three times my attempt lasted less than 30 seconds.

We'll see what happens tonight. Maybe I'll try the dragon or butterfly. Or farm souls to open the garden door. The one thing I really need though is a better weapon. I'm a mage, I shouldn't be using a freaking battle axe.

Hmmm, and I wonder if Soul Arrow will be more effective against that giant crippled dude by the blacksmith.


If you're human you can summon an NPC to help with the gargoyles (the sign is right outside their door). I couldn't beat them without him. Capra demon was monstrously difficult. I found running straight in to the right and then rolling behind him is a great way to avoid the first attack and get to the stairs. Once you can get to the stairs the fight is over. Kill the dogs and then jump off the top when the demon gets close up the stairs and beat him when he lands. The whole fight is not getting stun-locked by the damn dogs. It also helps to have high Poise armor and a good shield since the demon will just knock you down otherwise and something (be it the demon or the dogs) will murder you. It easily took me 10-15 tries on the demon before I got the right combination of skill and luck (so that the dogs wouldn't block my way up the stairs) to kill him.

For the crippled dude, do you mean the big rock statue thing that throws lightning? You can kill it without taking any damage with a bow and arrow if need be. I'd imagine Soul Arrow would make it even quicker. He doesn't come and melee you if you stay back, and dodging his lightning is super easy.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Dork Soulds

Postby emceng » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:54 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
emceng wrote:Played more Monday night. It was brutal.

Spoiler:
Tried the gargoyles again. ABout 15 times. It goes great until the second one shows up, then I am screwed.

Found another path to take, and explored and had some fun. Found a guy to teach me spells. Then I found the Capra Demon. Reminded me of Roberto from Futurama. Lots of stabbing me in a tiny little space. Tried him maybe 10 times, at least three times my attempt lasted less than 30 seconds.

We'll see what happens tonight. Maybe I'll try the dragon or butterfly. Or farm souls to open the garden door. The one thing I really need though is a better weapon. I'm a mage, I shouldn't be using a freaking battle axe.

Hmmm, and I wonder if Soul Arrow will be more effective against that giant crippled dude by the blacksmith.


If you're human you can summon an NPC to help with the gargoyles (the sign is right outside their door). I couldn't beat them without him. Capra demon was monstrously difficult. I found running straight in to the right and then rolling behind him is a great way to avoid the first attack and get to the stairs. Once you can get to the stairs the fight is over. Kill the dogs and then jump off the top when the demon gets close up the stairs and beat him when he lands. The whole fight is not getting stun-locked by the damn dogs. It also helps to have high Poise armor and a good shield since the demon will just knock you down otherwise and something (be it the demon or the dogs) will murder you. It easily took me 10-15 tries on the demon before I got the right combination of skill and luck (so that the dogs wouldn't block my way up the stairs) to kill him.

For the crippled dude, do you mean the big rock statue thing that throws lightning? You can kill it without taking any damage with a bow and arrow if need be. I'd imagine Soul Arrow would make it even quicker. He doesn't come and melee you if you stay back, and dodging his lightning is super easy.


Yeah, my first shot at the gargoyles I had summoned a guy, but was down to 1 flask, and didn't know what was going on. Before I try Capra again though I need a better weapon. It takes three hits for me to drop those dogs, which is too many, gives the demon too much time. I've been up on the stairs, and still got demolished. Not sure what Poise is, but want to learn about it on my own(or wait until I am super frustrated and say fuck it and check the wiki).

Yeah, the lightning guy. With fireballs and melee I can get him to about half health pretty easily. Then it starts to drag, since my melee is doing about 17 dmg per hit. So it would take me about an hour to kill him. Now that I have Soul Arrow, going to try and nuke him to death.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Chen
Posts: 5470
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Dork Soulds

Postby Chen » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:09 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Yeah, my first shot at the gargoyles I had summoned a guy, but was down to 1 flask, and didn't know what was going on. Before I try Capra again though I need a better weapon. It takes three hits for me to drop those dogs, which is too many, gives the demon too much time. I've been up on the stairs, and still got demolished. Not sure what Poise is, but want to learn about it on my own(or wait until I am super frustrated and say fuck it and check the wiki).


Poise isn't anything special. Its on the stat page and using the help or whatever the description command is tells you what it does. 3 hits per dog is no good though. And upgraded Halberd should one shot them both with the swing attack. Getting one of the early special weapons is also useful

Yeah, the lightning guy. With fireballs and melee I can get him to about half health pretty easily. Then it starts to drag, since my melee is doing about 17 dmg per hit. So it would take me about an hour to kill him. Now that I have Soul Arrow, going to try and nuke him to death.


Each arrow I shot at him was doing like 12 damage, but it still only took maybe 5-10 min to kill him. He literally does not move if you stay back (but within lock on range) and just shoots slow moving lightning at you.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Dork Soulds

Postby emceng » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:47 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
emceng wrote:Yeah, my first shot at the gargoyles I had summoned a guy, but was down to 1 flask, and didn't know what was going on. Before I try Capra again though I need a better weapon. It takes three hits for me to drop those dogs, which is too many, gives the demon too much time. I've been up on the stairs, and still got demolished. Not sure what Poise is, but want to learn about it on my own(or wait until I am super frustrated and say fuck it and check the wiki).


Poise isn't anything special. Its on the stat page and using the help or whatever the description command is tells you what it does. 3 hits per dog is no good though. And upgraded Halberd should one shot them both with the swing attack. Getting one of the early special weapons is also useful

Yeah, the lightning guy. With fireballs and melee I can get him to about half health pretty easily. Then it starts to drag, since my melee is doing about 17 dmg per hit. So it would take me about an hour to kill him. Now that I have Soul Arrow, going to try and nuke him to death.


Each arrow I shot at him was doing like 12 damage, but it still only took maybe 5-10 min to kill him. He literally does not move if you stay back (but within lock on range) and just shoots slow moving lightning at you.


Hell, I didn't even think of looking on the stat page. Thanks for that advice.

Yeah, if I had a bow that might work on that guy, but with melee it was hit him once or twice, dodge, dodge, roll, hit, roll, etc.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
Vapour
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:19 am UTC
Location: Forest and Hills Zone.

Re: Dork Soulds

Postby Vapour » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:39 pm UTC

Taurus demon down!

Now working on that Dragon Sword. :)

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Dork Soulds

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:49 am UTC

I think calling Demon's/Dark Souls hard isn't exactly the right way to categorise it. It's not difficult per se, it just doesn't hold your hand or give you everything for free like every other modern game does. From my experience it's about as difficult as Monster Hunter (and has a fairly similar gameplay).

Anyway recently there has been heaps of really awesome JRPGs coming out... so, I like that :-).
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
Vapour
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:19 am UTC
Location: Forest and Hills Zone.

Re: Dork Soulds

Postby Vapour » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:17 am UTC

Yeah, now that you mention MH, it does feel kind of familiar.

Horrible steep climb if you're on your own, but once you start to get the gear. It improves.

Made a load of progress last night (About 30 minutes in game time)

Got past the Dragon (Didn't get the sword, turns out you need soul arrows for the method I was trying), then the boar. (Bitch killed himself on the burning corpse)

Made it to the next bonfire with the blacksmith.

Decided to go down from the Blacksmith, turns out that the demon at the end of the room hurts. I could avoid lightning by hiding behind the fallen pillars, but once I got close enough. He just 2 hit me by swinging.

So I tried going up, into the Chapel. Thinking to myself, this seems nice and quiet. I look to my left, nothing there, begin to look to my right. Proceed to fly across the screen, while screaming. Turns out there is a massive fucking black knight there guarding a important item. So I'm a bit screwed at the moment. I have the item, but I can't kill the knight. If I try and run, the only way is up some stairs. I tried running up there, but there is a smaller knight cockblocking me on the stairs, and by the time I can get past him. The big knight has caught up.

I've yet to make it up the stairs yet :(

Chen
Posts: 5470
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Dork Soulds

Postby Chen » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:44 am UTC

Vapour wrote:Yeah, now that you mention MH, it does feel kind of familiar.

Horrible steep climb if you're on your own, but once you start to get the gear. It improves.

Made a load of progress last night (About 30 minutes in game time)

Got past the Dragon (Didn't get the sword, turns out you need soul arrows for the method I was trying), then the boar. (Bitch killed himself on the burning corpse)

Made it to the next bonfire with the blacksmith.

Decided to go down from the Blacksmith, turns out that the demon at the end of the room hurts. I could avoid lightning by hiding behind the fallen pillars, but once I got close enough. He just 2 hit me by swinging.

So I tried going up, into the Chapel. Thinking to myself, this seems nice and quiet. I look to my left, nothing there, begin to look to my right. Proceed to fly across the screen, while screaming. Turns out there is a massive fucking black knight there guarding a important item. So I'm a bit screwed at the moment. I have the item, but I can't kill the knight. If I try and run, the only way is up some stairs. I tried running up there, but there is a smaller knight cockblocking me on the stairs, and by the time I can get past him. The big knight has caught up.

I've yet to make it up the stairs yet :(


The game is similar to Monster Hunter (though I've only played Tri). The enemies tend to die quicker here than the long drawn out monster hunter fights, but the bosses seem a LOT deadlier here too to compensate for the reduced fight time.

For the drake sword you just need to shoot the dragon's tail with a regular bow and arrow (from the merchant under the crates by the 2 spearmen in the undead burg). It takes a bunch of hits but its easy and has no real risk. The sword is good, though it doesn't scale at all and needs Dragon scales to upgrade. I've found Astoria's sword to be better mainly because the strong attack is a nice straight lunge which is pretty quick and has fairly long reach for a sword.

The knight in the chapel is definitely beatable. I lured him outside into the open area and he's easier to fight there. He's not nearly as strong as the other big knights like that that are around. He's meant to be killed at that point unlike the knight guarding the ring in the undead burg or the one on top of the tower near the boar. I've found having a polearm helps against the big slow knights. You can keep your distance and whittle away at them fairly safely. There's a winged spear in the graveyard at the start (you need to just run through and grab all the items then die to the hoard of skeletons) and there's also a Halberd near the front entrance to the chapel I believe.

User avatar
Vapour
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:19 am UTC
Location: Forest and Hills Zone.

Re: Dork Soulds

Postby Vapour » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:11 pm UTC

Yeah, I got the Halberd. I'll try that out.


I shot the Dragons tail with about 15 arrows (Only light, bough 20 but missed with a few) and that didn't work. So i gave it up as a loss and moved on.

The demon in the next room to the Blacksmith, what is that?
Is he guarding something?

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Dork Soulds

Postby emceng » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:59 pm UTC

I killed the knight at the boar tower last night - and he killed me at the same time. So no souls, no loot. Anyone know what he dropped anyway? I was pretty pissed.

Took down the gargoyles by going in soul form. Also took out the crippled guy. Took a shot at the butterfly. Still no idea how to hit it, since I have low dex, so don't use a bow. Tried shooting the dragon's tail, but got frustrated and quit. Tonight I'll check and see if I have enough dex to use a shortbow effectively.

Another thing though. I was looking at upgrading a weapon. Apparently upgrading them changes the stats needed for use - so if I upgrade most of my better weapons, I'll no longer be able to use it.

I did realize I could use magic weapon though. Bought it, and tried Capra Demon. First time I died in maybe 10 seconds. Second time went a bit better, third I got him to half health. Said screw it and moved on. Going back when I have a few more levels. Got the Wolf Ring. Then decided to farm souls to open the forest door. Took me maybe an hour, found a spot I can get 500 souls in less than 2 minutes. Once I went through the door I got demolished.

I'm also trying to figure out where I could use that softfall spell. I found one place already, but I already looted everything in that area. I could just start jumping off cliffs, but that doesn't seem like the best way to do it.

Vapour wrote:The demon in the next room to the Blacksmith, what is that?
Is he guarding something?


Not really. You can actually run past him to the next area. He just drops a nice upgrade item.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Chen
Posts: 5470
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Dork Soulds

Postby Chen » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:38 pm UTC

emceng wrote:I killed the knight at the boar tower last night - and he killed me at the same time. So no souls, no loot. Anyone know what he dropped anyway? I was pretty pissed.


The one at the top of the tower? He's a random "black knight" (even though he looks gold if I recall) and I think he has a chance to drop the Black Knight Greatsword. Its a low chance though. I think all I got from him was some sort of titanite (same as the first black knight that was guarding the ring in the undead burg).

Took down the gargoyles by going in soul form. Also took out the crippled guy. Took a shot at the butterfly. Still no idea how to hit it, since I have low dex, so don't use a bow. Tried shooting the dragon's tail, but got frustrated and quit. Tonight I'll check and see if I have enough dex to use a shortbow effectively.


Is the crippled guy the guy in the cell before the gargoyles? If so, his ring is absurdly good, though if you take it off it breaks. If thats not him, which crippled guy are you talking about?

Another thing though. I was looking at upgrading a weapon. Apparently upgrading them changes the stats needed for use - so if I upgrade most of my better weapons, I'll no longer be able to use it.


Hmm I never noticed this. The stats needed on the Winged Spear and Astoria straight sword I've upgraded haven't changed. Stats needed on my shield either. There is a place showing the change to the stat reqs but its always just stayed white for me.

I did realize I could use magic weapon though. Bought it, and tried Capra Demon. First time I died in maybe 10 seconds. Second time went a bit better, third I got him to half health. Said screw it and moved on. Going back when I have a few more levels. Got the Wolf Ring. Then decided to farm souls to open the forest door. Took me maybe an hour, found a spot I can get 500 souls in less than 2 minutes. Once I went through the door I got demolished.


Which spot is that? The only decent grinding spot I know is either the dragon bridge or back at the Undead Asylum.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Dork Soulds

Postby emceng » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:29 pm UTC

Chen wrote:Is the crippled guy the guy in the cell before the gargoyles? If so, his ring is absurdly good, though if you take it off it breaks. If thats not him, which crippled guy are you talking about?

I did realize I could use magic weapon though. Bought it, and tried Capra Demon. First time I died in maybe 10 seconds. Second time went a bit better, third I got him to half health. Said screw it and moved on. Going back when I have a few more levels. Got the Wolf Ring. Then decided to farm souls to open the forest door. Took me maybe an hour, found a spot I can get 500 souls in less than 2 minutes. Once I went through the door I got demolished.


Which spot is that? The only decent grinding spot I know is either the dragon bridge or back at the Undead Asylum.


Crippled guy I was talking about was the one-legged lightning thrower by the blacksmith.

Grinding spot I was using was in Deep Root Garden, but the door that needs 20k souls to buy a thing from the smith to open it. Essentially, start at the bonfire, go down the path to the three bush/tree guys, kill them with fireball, run back up, take the path left back towards the smith's tower, kill two bush/tree guys(I was using battle axe + magic weapon). Repeat. Like I said, unless you screw up you can kill five tree guys at 100 souls each in less than two minutes. I went from 4k souls to 20k in maybe an hour.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Chen
Posts: 5470
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Dork Soulds

Postby Chen » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:09 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Crippled guy I was talking about was the one-legged lightning thrower by the blacksmith.

Grinding spot I was using was in Deep Root Garden, but the door that needs 20k souls to buy a thing from the smith to open it. Essentially, start at the bonfire, go down the path to the three bush/tree guys, kill them with fireball, run back up, take the path left back towards the smith's tower, kill two bush/tree guys(I was using battle axe + magic weapon). Repeat. Like I said, unless you screw up you can kill five tree guys at 100 souls each in less than two minutes. I went from 4k souls to 20k in maybe an hour.


Ah ok that makes sense. The dragon on the bridge can get you ~300 souls every minute or so (maybe less). You activate the bonfire in the undead burg and climb the ladder to the bridge. Run up the stairs and the dragon will roast everything on the bridge and you get the 300 souls. You can just jump back down to the bonfire and reset it to do it again. Its pretty mind numbing though. The other place is in the Undead Asylum at the beginning (which you can get back to via the Raven nest). There are 4 Torch wielding Zombie guys and 2 sword wielding ones right near the big room where you fought the demon at the start. They each give 100 souls so you can kill those 6 pretty damn quick too. Watch out for the floor in the middle of that room though. It would be annoying to grind there and then fall through it and get murdered :P

I hadn't thought about grinding there since I don't have fireball and the group of 3 tree guys is a pain to kill with a spear or sword. The single ones do die pretty fast though.

User avatar
Vapour
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:19 am UTC
Location: Forest and Hills Zone.

Re: Dork Soulds

Postby Vapour » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:13 pm UTC

I appear to be at the Boss fight ontop of the Undead Parish.

Oh boy.

Attempt 1) Got his tail axe, and almost got him to 50%

User avatar
Kag
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:56 am UTC

Re: Dork Soulds

Postby Kag » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:07 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:It's not difficult per se, it just doesn't hold your hand or give you everything for free like every other modern game does.


Having beaten the game: no, it's hard. I promise.

Also, pro tip: damage scaling on weapons has HARD diminishing returns. Once you can hold the weapon you like, endurance and vit are better almost always.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Dork Soulds

Postby emceng » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:21 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:
emceng wrote:Use your freaking shield

Actually, I never did this in Demon's Souls. Well, I did, I had that nice health regen shield that I loved so very very much. But eventually it became clear I was just regen'ing health I lost through blocking. I eventually threw away my shield, wielded all weapons 2 handed, and relied I dodging exclusively. Worked out for me much better.


Yeah, Adjudicator's Shield was nice. The thing is, you need to look at blocking percentage. It only blocks 90 or 95% of the damage. Other shields will block 100%. Same thing in Dark Souls. Look at the percentage reduction numbers.

I guess I never did much with two handed weapons. I had much more success using a shield.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

ProZac
Posts: 891
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 3:57 pm UTC

Re: Dork Soulds

Postby ProZac » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:09 pm UTC

I did start playing last night, as a Wanderer. Beat the first boss thing (not sure it really counts...) and got to what it claimed was the hub, though it didn't seem very hub like. I've remembered that "Ah, yes, parrying is an extremely valuable skill, this is why shields are nice. Oh fuck, timing that is HARD. Wield weapon with two hands, dodge everything." Believe I'll probably stick to using whatever I find with 2 hands, and boosting stamina so I can swing/dodge more effectively.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Dork Soulds

Postby emceng » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:17 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:I did start playing last night, as a Wanderer. Beat the first boss thing (not sure it really counts...) and got to what it claimed was the hub, though it didn't seem very hub like. I've remembered that "Ah, yes, parrying is an extremely valuable skill, this is why shields are nice. Oh fuck, timing that is HARD. Wield weapon with two hands, dodge everything." Believe I'll probably stick to using whatever I find with 2 hands, and boosting stamina so I can swing/dodge more effectively.


You don't just hold your shield up? That's how I do it. Pretty much never parry because it is so hard to time. Easiest way I've found to kill most stuff is let it swing, hit your shield, then pound on it while it's recovering from hitting your shield.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
Vapour
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:19 am UTC
Location: Forest and Hills Zone.

Re: Dork Soulds

Postby Vapour » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:49 pm UTC

I can see these Bell Gargolyes are going to be a LOT of fun...


Edit

Woohoo

Farmed Drake Sword, went human and summoned the sun knight.

Killed them within 30 seconds.

If you ever need help, and you're apart of the Sun covenant. Then let me know and I'll drop a summon patch thingy. (As you can see, I'm good with the terminology)

Chen
Posts: 5470
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Dork Soulds

Postby Chen » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:38 am UTC

Kag wrote:Also, pro tip: damage scaling on weapons has HARD diminishing returns. Once you can hold the weapon you like, endurance and vit are better almost always.


So even if its got "A" scaling, the gain per stat point still diminishes at higher stat levels?

On another note I killed Havel and got his sweet +50% equip weight ring. Can now wear almost my entire Elite Knight set and still be below 50% burden. Killed the Gaping demon (absurdly easy) and most of the random knights that were around up until Blightown too (1 on the boar tower, 1 guarding the ring in the undead burg, 2 back at the asylum and 1 in Darkroot basin guarding a shield). Funnily enough the one guarding the shield also dropped the "Black Knight Shield". Shame both it and the Stam regenning shield are worse than my Baldur Shield +7. I suspect the Black Knight Shield would be better if similarly enchanted, but I don't have enough Twinkling Titanite to enchant it (used all the Titanite to make my Astoria Straight sword +4 or +5). The dragon that guards the Astoria sword and the Dragoncrest shield is also apparently a joke to kill since you can just stand outside his breath range and bow/magic him to death. An easy 3000 souls + dragon scale + 2k soul item if you didn't grab it on the first run through.


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests