SpaceStation 13

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

CogDissident

SpaceStation 13

Postby CogDissident » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:33 pm UTC

I didn't see a thread for this, so thought I would post some info.

Here is a game that many have said is basically Dwarf Fortress, in space, with each one of the dwarves being played by a single person. Its a really great game, and really quite fun to play, but it has an equally steep learning curve.

So, here is some info.

You are a citizen of Space Station 13, and you are expected to do your job. This can be anything from station engineer (fixing damage to the station), security personel (arresting people who damage the station), doctor (treating people), or janitor. And many other jobs too. What makes the game fun however, is that every round there is something "wrong" with the station. There could be a traitor on board who has a mission to blow up the station, or to steal an item from the captain. There could be rogue meteors coming to depressurize the station. There could be a viral outbreak of Clown-itis. Or the station AI could go rogue and attempt to space people at random. Usually the mode is played as described on the smaller severs, though the goon server tends to have people randomly running around spraying acid in people's faces or murdering people and assuming their identities.

Info you will need to play:
The game client, Byond,
http://www.byond.com/

The wiki on getting started,
http://ss13.donglabs.com/index.php?titl ... ng_Started

And, if any of you want to join the Bay 12 folks, they have a server of their own going (invite only), though XKCD could start up its own server if it gets popular enough.

Azrael001

Re: SpaceStation 13

Postby Azrael001 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:13 pm UTC

This sounds like something that I would be interested in. This post is for my egosearch so later, when I have time, I can examine it properly.

Awia

Postby Awia » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:32 pm UTC

I've been playing this lately, it's pretty fun to play between the rampant cyborgs and the engineers letting out the singularity in every game.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:47 pm UTC

Say. I just started playing, but now I have been banned from 3 of the major public servers. One was for filling the station with plasma before I understood that it tells you if you are syndicate if you actually are, and you aren't automatically syndicate if you select "yes"...

The other two must have happened while I wasn't even online in the server, because it never kicked me out saying I was banned....
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:03 pm UTC

Awia wrote:I've been playing this lately, it's pretty fun to play between the rampant cyborgs and the engineers letting out the singularity in every game.

Or having broken into the EVA storage room, commandeered space suits after murdering someone with toolboxes, leaving a cap at the scene of the crime and flying off helplessly into space and suffocating. Then discovering, hours later, that I was in fact the traitor and should have done more to kill everyone, rather than just steal an EVA suit in order to avoid the inevitable decompression.

The game is awesome.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:11 pm UTC

When I have the time, I'll check it out. Sounds Awesome.

savanik

Postby savanik » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:33 pm UTC

Vieto wrote:When I have the time, I'll check it out. Sounds Awesome.

I checked this out last night. The interface is a little cumbersome, but once you get the hang of dressing yourself and using tools, it does indeed become awesome.

I started out attacking a jumpsuit with the shoes I was holding, but by the end of the night I was hacking my way into the atmospherics bay to let out all the oxygen, only to be caught by a secret agent who beat me to death with a rolling pin he stole from the chef.
"If it were up to the copyright lobby, owning a pen would be punishable by fines." ---Arancaytar

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:07 pm UTC

Doing the same thing Azrael did. I'm intrigued by the idea of filling a station with plasma...

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:15 pm UTC

I tried it, for 15 minutes, until my dad took me shopping for a laptop (at the most inconvenient of times; I just got a toolbox :(), but I had no locker-striking moments (I'm the kind of guy who reads the manual before playing)

Awia

Postby Awia » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:13 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:Doing the same thing Azrael did. I'm intrigued by the idea of filling a station with plasma...
Personally I prefer letting out the singularity, takes much longer to notice and it can't be fixed once it's out. (Barring a suicidal person with a lot of explosives)

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:49 am UTC

Well, I've already been banned.

My crime? Trying to follow a bloody tutorial! :roll:

Cecilff2

Postby Cecilff2 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:13 pm UTC

Typically the Bay12 dudes are a bit nicer to newbies. They differ a bit from the goons on game mechanics though. Power generation is different for one. The map is completely different.

http://baystation12.co.cc/index.php

savanik

Postby savanik » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:42 pm UTC

Cecilff2 wrote:Typically the Bay12 dudes are a bit nicer to newbies. They differ a bit from the goons on game mechanics though. Power generation is different for one. The map is completely different.

http://baystation12.co.cc/index.php

The atmospheric system on that map was broken last time I tried to play an Air Tech, too. You can't reprocess air, so if you don't finish the game in about 30 minutes, everyone dies.

Fun times!

Sav
"If it were up to the copyright lobby, owning a pen would be punishable by fines." ---Arancaytar

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:31 pm UTC

Sounds fun from the description. Now I just have to not be lazy/forgetful and try it!
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:17 pm UTC

Apparently the ban from one server was changed from 10 days to permanent... I am annoyed...
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

New User

Postby New User » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:50 am UTC

This game looks cool, but this thread makes it sound like the game moderators take pretty extreme actions. Is that still the case?

Coin

Postby Coin » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:31 am UTC

Maybe I don't play frequently enough, but I've never seen anyone banned who didn't deserve it...
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

Cecilff2

Postby Cecilff2 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:13 pm UTC

New User wrote:This game looks cool, but this thread makes it sound like the game moderators take pretty extreme actions. Is that still the case?

Depends on which server you go to. Anyone can set up their own game server and appoint whoever they want as mods/admins.

savanik

Postby savanik » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:57 pm UTC

I tried playing for a while, but gave up for three reasons:

1. Not enough people around to actually get the space station to function well enough to keep people from dying
Most of the time you'll get someone in charge of atmospherics who doesn't know what 'partial pressure' is, much less why breathing pure oxygen at 25 psi and -50 Celsius would be a bad thing.

2. Maps that are broken by default and CAN'T function well enough to keep people from dying
One of the really popular maps is completely broken in atmospherics. They don't work. At all. You will all die within a certain amount of time from CO2. Have fun playing!

3. Extremely, extremely cumbersome inventory interface.
Want to pick up that wrench? Your hands are full with a PDA and a piece of metal, so put your PDA in your pocket first. Which requires that you have an open slot there. So you'll need to get into your backpack - wait, have to take off backpack. Can't do that without putting metal down on floor. NOW IT COVERS UP THE WRENCH. Fine we don't need the wrench without the metal, so take off the backpack, put it on the ground, chuck some things from your belt there, then finally Oh me yarm LAG, somebody comes by at Mach 5 and steals your backpack, metal, wrench, blowtorch, spare oxygen cylinder and mask while you're waiting for the screen to refresh.

Did I mention the lag, by the way?

And finally,
4. Poor warning indicators.
If you walk into an area with poor oxygen content, your first (and only) warning before falling unconscious is a little symbol on the side blinking. Very easy to miss when you're trying to watch the screen for any Mach-5 laggers.

So yeah, it could be fairly fun - if you had a group of people who all knew what they were doing, no griefers, and a server with a very good connection the whole way through. You'd have to be very patient with the inventory, though.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:53 pm UTC

savanik wrote:I tried playing for a while, but gave up for three reasons:

1. Not enough people around to actually get the space station to function well enough to keep people from dying
Most of the time you'll get someone in charge of atmospherics who doesn't know what 'partial pressure' is, much less why breathing pure oxygen at 25 psi and -50 Celsius would be a bad thing.

2. Maps that are broken by default and CAN'T function well enough to keep people from dying
One of the really popular maps is completely broken in atmospherics. They don't work. At all. You will all die within a certain amount of time from CO2. Have fun playing!

3. Extremely, extremely cumbersome inventory interface.
Want to pick up that wrench? Your hands are full with a PDA and a piece of metal, so put your PDA in your pocket first. Which requires that you have an open slot there. So you'll need to get into your backpack - wait, have to take off backpack. Can't do that without putting metal down on floor. NOW IT COVERS UP THE WRENCH. Fine we don't need the wrench without the metal, so take off the backpack, put it on the ground, chuck some things from your belt there, then finally Gee Willikers LAG, somebody comes by at Mach 5 and steals your backpack, metal, wrench, blowtorch, spare oxygen cylinder and mask while you're waiting for the screen to refresh.

Did I mention the lag, by the way?

And finally,
4. Poor warning indicators.
If you walk into an area with poor oxygen content, your first (and only) warning before falling unconscious is a little symbol on the side blinking. Very easy to miss when you're trying to watch the screen for any Mach-5 laggers.

So yeah, it could be fairly fun - if you had a group of people who all knew what they were doing, no griefers, and a server with a very good connection the whole way through. You'd have to be very patient with the inventory, though.

Is it bad that I'm more interested in it after reading your post? I seriously lol'd at #3.

Cecilff2

Postby Cecilff2 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:22 pm UTC

byond://whoopshop.com:8000

Ask for help there, they'll help ya. Pretty much any mod/admin will respond to adminhelp questions about the game.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:25 pm UTC

I have lost count of how many times I have accidentally created an unstable black hole that ate the station.

I wish there was better information out there about how to do the respective jobs.

On the other hand, when I figured out how building stuff and taking them apart worked, I was very proud. Proud enough to disassemble walls to get into locked rooms anyway.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Levi

Postby Levi » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:08 pm UTC

Cecilff2 wrote:byond://whoopshop.com:8000

Ask for help there, they'll help ya. Pretty much any mod/admin will respond to adminhelp questions about the game.

I don't know if I'm going to be able to manage not clicking on that link for the two weeks until finals are over.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:09 pm UTC

Was thinking about DF in space just the other day. Can you build station modules? I'll probably get board quick if I cannot make my own capsule to go crazy in. :D
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:04 pm UTC

Technical Ben wrote:Was thinking about DF in space just the other day. Can you build station modules? I'll probably get board quick if I cannot make my own capsule to go crazy in. :D

In theory you can by cannabilizing enough material to build a little room off the side of the station.

In reality though, the station most likely will have blown up by that time. Also people seem to get upset by your cutting into their offices/labs for steel.

At the end of the day though, you just need to pick a role that isn't that important but comes with its own room that you can lock yourself inside. Like... the chaplain >_>

At least until someone starts knockin down your walls either for access or materials.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Awia

Postby Awia » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:35 am UTC

The postman used to be the best for that, you got stuck on a nowhere part of the station that people rarely came to and you got a full set of internals so you could survive almost anything.

That and the pet monkey.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:04 am UTC

Hmmm. The making constructions bit is half the fun. Any servers offer store rooms full of steel then? :)
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:21 pm UTC

Just yell at the QM to order some for you.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:49 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:Just yell at the QM

There lies the problem with your solution.

(In reality, I suppose you could get a good QM but you could also not have a roboticist knock you out, bring you to the lab, and turn you into a cyborg)

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:14 pm UTC

My favourite thing about this thread is how specific people are with their analogies.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:24 pm UTC

Okita wrote:
Amnesiasoft wrote:Just yell at the QM

There lies the problem with your solution.

(In reality, I suppose you could get a good QM but you could also not have a roboticist knock you out, bring you to the lab, and turn you into a cyborg)

You are obviously not playing with the same people I play with... So I guess you never had Charlie Sheen break you out of prison using a floor tile...

JamesP

Postby JamesP » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:24 pm UTC

Well this was... an experience.

I spawned in maintenance, run over to the medbay to see if I can help. Some guy shoots me in the ass with tranquilisers and KO's me for about 5 minutes. I wake up, find my stuff (Wirecutters, Fire extinguisher, fire suit/gas mask) in a corrider. The guy comes back so I retreat into the maintenance tunnels. Deciding to have some fun I cut random wires, burning myself horrifically in the process. I stumble to the pool where I go critical. The chaplain pulls me to the chapel for some reason and leaves me on a pile of bodies (never found out why there was a pile of bodies there.)

I recover somehow and go back into the world, hoping to find the bridge. Then alarms start going and some guy tells me to hide in maintenance. I do that and half the station gets horribly injured by radiation. The alarums stop and I go out to help take people to the medbay but get killed by residual effects. I find my self in the medbay again where 3 guys are trying to tend to the wounded whilst a black hole creeps closer and closer. I am fit to go so I try to run but the door is blocked by a monkey in a nappy trying to kill me with a crowbar. I attack him with my wirecutters but he overpowers me and KO's me again. I recover but the black hole sucks me in.

I think I'm gonna like this game.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:07 am UTC

JamesP wrote:...Deciding to have some fun I cut random wires...

And you weren't perminantly banned? Things sure have changed. Since I attempted to play a year ago.

JamesP

Postby JamesP » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:54 am UTC

Nope, I just got outlawed and Sec got sic'd on me. It was a 'random events' game which are usually pretty uneventful so I simply provided a bit of challenge. :D

A guy got banned for going after me in the next game though, despite my attempts to say it was roleplaying and he had no reason to go after my new char etc. T'was a goonserver if it makes a difference.

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:19 pm UTC

The admin just banned space because of mass complaints about it griefing...
I can haz people?

Levi

Postby Levi » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:22 am UTC

Just played pretty much the most epic round I've been in so far. And it was as a counselor, no less. A meteor shower hit the ship and an engineer and I spent forever trying to repressurize the chapel. After expending two full oxygen canisters, we ended up just opening all the doors to everywhere else on the ship. This reduced the entire station's pressure by ~10 kPa and set off atmosphere alarms all over the place. It was surprisingly hard to get air back into an area even as small as the chapel. Also, I had some fun going to any lengths necessary (including attacking someone with a fire extinguisher) in order to recover the body of my one and only friend, who had committed suicide, in order to give him a proper burial, with the help of my professionally diagnosed as incurably insane (by my humble self) girlfriend. I never did find it :cry:

Apparently there was also some dramatic action going on elsewhere at the same time. Maximillian is the captain and there are at minimum two NT agents, but I don't know who they are.

New User

Postby New User » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:34 am UTC

I'd like to give this game a try. Anyone still play this? It looks like the major servers (something awful's Goonstation, and Baystation 12) are role-playing servers. Is that normal for this game? I'm not big into roleplaying.

Yubtzock

Postby Yubtzock » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:01 am UTC

From what I remember the game could be played without much roleplay but you'd need it to be like all friends-only and preferably everyone should at least read some of the instructions for it beforehand (at least for the few roles they might want to play). It's not that you need to read every line of a manual, because figuring out how to do stuff in this game is kinda part of it and, frankly, there is no full breath manual anyway (I never got how to use the computers on the research station and do some explosive cocktails...), BUT you can easily spoil the game if you uncover that your role is that of an evil-doer, be it vampire, traitor or alien.

The minimal rule would be to simply not reveal that, but you can quickly notice that without a roleplay the captain can simply order AI to lock down everyone and then make a thorough screening. (which in my opinion would actually be most realistically accurate considering any sign of a threat on a space station, but then you wouldn't get the "surprised on his way to kitchen by a shapeshifter and consumed in the maintenance shaft" kind of deal)

Also: if you ever get some people to play, do constitute the internal "communication" system with some sort of real voice communication. Teamspeak seems to be best solution (Mumble would work too I think) as it allows to create special rooms which people can simply join to have "their" channel. (as in security channel, tratoirs, general, and so on). Mainly because the in game system sucks, but more so because it just breaks the supposed immersion when you cant just shout for help because it takes you several seconds, which you can better use to run away from danger. Which makes most of the action in the game look like people randomly running around the station for no apparent reason or without realisation what is going on.

If you plan on gathering a group of players you might sign me in. I haven't play the game in years though, so I only remember how to play Sec-mook (bash people with stun baton) or janitor (clear floors), but that would be fun to try it again... Private room might also mean less lag and no admins behaving like dicks, because that was basically what turned me off from those servers - you can sometimes play your 40-60 minutes match (long) that is nearing to some spectacular showdown, but the admin comes in and decides "it takes too long" and unleashes pure chaos onto the station... It's only funny the first few times. Also (IIRC) some racist/childish rules like "no mentioning of anything Japanese otherwise BAN".

EDIT because I forgot to mention: There is (or I think should be) a way to play this game almost completely without enemies - simply set up some basic mine stations and the portion of station with packages and arriving inventory (I forgot the name - the arrivals for the "bought" stuff) and you can basically play this game like minecraft or cooperative dwarf fortress with the objective to "build a station". I don't know however how persistent the changes you make can be and for how long you can host one game before the server implodes on itself. That would require some experienced players though.

thorgold

Postby thorgold » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:39 pm UTC

I pride myself on being a highly competent engineer who knows his way around a singularity breach. Ever fought the gravitational pull of a singularity while activating electronic barriers that, oh yeah, zap you if you don't get away in time? And if you don't turn everything on in time, SINGULOTH WILL DEVOUR THE SOULS OF ALL!

Yeah, engineer is fun.

Good tip for newbies? Stay the FUCK away from Goonstation servers. In typical Goon fashion, "pubs" are treated with open disdain and the admins take pleasure in handing out random bans. Try Facepunch (RP heavy, though), Liberty Station (LLA), or Pleasure Palace (usually on "extended," the unending sandbox mode). The hardest part of the game is the mechanics - once you understand how to efficiently manage your inventory and do your job, you can do pretty much anything.

My favorite experience happens on Libertystation a lot, where they run zombie outbreak events on boring nights. Essentially, at a random point in a round (usually right after the traitor set us up the bomb), zombies start killing everyone. They're Mach 5 laggers with super-fast attacks who, yeah, infect you on a successful attack. Me and a few other guys almost always turn EVA into a fortress of remote-controlled quarantine airlocks and killzones, selling metal and guns looted from security until the shuttle arrives.

Also, I played as a traitor chaplain once. After a failed attempt at subverting the AI with a hacked module, security was called to arrest me. I managed to elude capture long enough that a Perseus Agent (LLA server's "Special Forces" squad for whitelisted players, given ridiculous gear and firepower) was called in to bring me down. Using nothing but the "disarm" command, I managed to fight off four security officers, the Head of Security, and the Perseus agent for half the round. In the meantime, the other traitors were blowing up hydroponics and the medbay. I was arrested, put on FULL trial, and very nearly managed to prove my innocence (they got me on assault, but couldn't prove I was a traitor based on faulty evidence). I was sent to the prison station, escorted by the Captain and HoS, where I promptly escaped detention and flushed myself out the waste disposal system... into space. They got no information from me, and I was the only traitor to "fail" his objectives.

It looks like the major servers (something awful's Goonstation, and Baystation 12) are role-playing servers.

Whoever told you that Goonstation is an RP server is either a complete noob or a Goon troll. Goonstation is possibly the farthest thing from a RP server you can get.

And in any case, RP is light, even on Baystation. RP is pretty much defined as "Do stuff your job calls for, don't be a roaming crazy vigilante" and "Don't beat up everyone you see because you can."
You can refuse to think, but you can't refuse the consequences of not thinking.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:19 am UTC

thorgold wrote:
It looks like the major servers (something awful's Goonstation, and Baystation 12) are role-playing servers.

Whoever told you that Goonstation is an RP server is either a complete noob or a Goon troll.

To be fair, half the fun of the game is trying to troll without getting caught!

Return to “Gaming”