Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

headprogrammingczar

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby headprogrammingczar » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:36 pm UTC

Definitely nostalgia. The only thing I want is SoaSE: Rebellion.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Obby

Postby Obby » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:24 am UTC

Oh boy... So far:

Anno 2070
Mirror's Edge
Civilization 5
SpaceChem
Torchlight 2 pre-order (with Torchlight as a bonus to play in the mean time)

I was really close to picking up Fallout: New Vegas just because it was $5, but then I remembered that I never really got into Fallout 3 at all, and decided against it.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:34 am UTC

Not so much a Steam deal (like there's a shortage of those at the moment anyways...) as Steam news, but Steam on Linux has been officially confirmed to be in the works, with L4D2 being the probable launch title for it.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:27 am UTC

...damn you people and your willpowers.

I'd rather not talk about what all I've picked up.

Menacing Spike wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:*[The Ultima 6 Cover] is great just because it pretty much describes the entire game plot in one image. You're the great hero vanquishing the Gargoyle... you're a false prophet and a giant dick to the essentially peaceful Gargoyle race whose only "crime" is looking like a stereotypical demon, you racist jackass.

Didn't they abduct you and like try to kill you?

Sure.

After you'd doomed them to extinction and the whole thing was a last-ditch effort to prevent their entire species, cultural knowledge, architecture, and all that from being exterminated. And you had no idea they even existed. Because you're a dick.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:31 am UTC

So is Dear Esther worth $2.50? What say you?

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:19 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:...damn you people and your willpowers.

I'd rather not talk about what all I've picked up.

A lot of the really tempting deals have been for games I already own, which has helped. Though even then I've still been tempted to pick up extra copies of some games on the off chance I might want to gift them to somebody in the future.

Still waiting for ArMA and SoaSE to go on daily/flash sale though.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:41 pm UTC

Haha this morning I got the Bethesda Pack, Rage (I realized that it's the only thing I wanted from the id Pack), and Dear Esther.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:38 pm UTC

Shoot Many Robots 4-pack, anyone?

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:40 pm UTC

Train Simulator 2012 is on sale. I'm tempted. If only to further this fine genre of videos.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:01 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Train Simulator 2012 is on sale. I'm tempted. If only to further this fine genre of videos.

Choo Chooo Motherfuckers!

I bought it as a gift and have it stored on my steam account so at some point I can gift it to someone at random for the WTF value.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:26 pm UTC

That is not a bad idea.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:42 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:So is Dear Esther worth $2.50? What say you?
Eh. The game is about an hour, the graphics are pretty, but the story takes about a paragraph to explain fully and the hour is you slowly walking around the island learning the story in a roundabout fashion. Was it a better experience than a beverage from Starbucks? Sure, but that doesn't take an hour to drink.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:47 am UTC

Bit late for that now. :P

I dropped another $5 on Fortune Summoners, having already purchased Chantelise and Recettear a while back. Of course I haven't played them yet. :roll:

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:55 am UTC

So, what are the odds of Sins: Rebellion going on flash sale for more than 25% off?
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:31 am UTC

I would guess fairly low, since it's so new. I have it bookmarked and check it daily anyway though...
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:26 pm UTC

It looks like the flash sales and the community choice sales are all pulling from the daily sales pool - at least for the games that have appeared in all three to date, they had identical discounts. So, I'd say there's no chance.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:38 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:So, what are the odds of Sins: Rebellion going on flash sale for more than 25% off?
25% isn't much of a discount at all really, since Stardock sells it directly for that price if you already own Sins.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:26 pm UTC

Nexuiz is 2 quid for the next 11 and a half hours. Is it any good?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:23 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:...damn you people and your willpowers.

Willpower? Oh no, that's not it, I just already own everything on Steam.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:06 pm UTC

Well, I think I've bought everything I want - New Vegas DLC, Civilisation V, Thief Collection, Hitman Collection and Bastion. Not much, but I've had my eye on these for a while, and they should keep me occupied for a veeery long time. Cost me around £20 for the lot, <3 Steam Sales
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:11 pm UTC

After so many sales, I'm really beginning to scrape the barrel.

Seems to be around

40% owned
45% crap
5% apparent crap with enough potential to gamble on in the hope that they'll be underrated <-- what I'm buying for the most part
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:31 pm UTC

Ah, I have bought too much.

I said that yesterday, but now that I've bought even more stuff, I mean it.

This sale, on top of my enormous pile of unplayed games from the holiday sale, I bought digital copies of the total war series (most of them I only had on CD), all their DLC, the sniper elite franchise, dragon age origins, dead space, ME2 (I got 1 in the holiday sale, still haven't played it), LA Noire and Gods and Kings (I got civV in the holiday sale, not played it yet). My list of uninstalled games (some of which I have played, some I haven't) is at least as long as my list of installed games which double counts a load because it's got about fifty-billion different source games many of which have shared meshes, textures etc. (I'm looking at you hl2).

So yeah, I bought too much :(
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:44 pm UTC

I think I'm about to buy New Vegas, although I really ought not to. As a question, though, I'm curious as to how much higher the system reqs are than Fallout 3. I ask, even though I can look at the system requirements directly from the Steam page, because I sometimes find them a bit misleading. AFAIK, I have all the requirements to play Assassin's Creed II but can't actually play it because I end up moving in slow motion with all the graphics turned down. Other games, though, run just fine. Can anyone here make an apt comparison?

Edit: This is what I miss occasionally about my 360. No worries about requirements.
I looked out across the river today …

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:48 pm UTC

Radical_Initiator wrote:I think I'm about to buy New Vegas, although I really ought not to. As a question, though, I'm curious as to how much higher the system reqs are than Fallout 3. I ask, even though I can look at the system requirements directly from the Steam page, because I sometimes find them a bit misleading. AFAIK, I have all the requirements to play Assassin's Creed II but can't actually play it because I end up moving in slow motion with all the graphics turned down. Other games, though, run just fine. Can anyone here make an apt comparison?

Edit: This is what I miss occasionally about my 360. No worries about requirements.

I don't think the requirements are higher than those of FO3 at all. Besides the more more fallout-like gameplay, it's basically the same game.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:22 am UTC

eSOANEM wrote:I bought digital copies of the total war series (most of them I only had on CD)
I've thought a few times about buying stuff I only have on CD. My concern is that if I ever actually get around to trying to play them sometime, I'll discover that the hassle of getting the things to work under Windows 7 will draw a substantially greater toll than paying Valve $2.50.

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:23 am UTC

Yeah, a while ago I bought FO3 on steam, still haven't been able to make it work and I've tried all the known fixes online but none of them seem to work so now, I've got a game I can't play at all. The total wars all seem to work fine though. I've played as far back as Rome before with no problems and I don't think I'm likely to go back to the original Medieval or Shogun games.
my pronouns are they

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:26 pm UTC

http://www.gog.com/en/promo/kalypso_weekend_promo

You know you want the Creatures games and the original Stronghold.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:17 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:Yeah, a while ago I bought FO3 on steam, still haven't been able to make it work and I've tried all the known fixes online but none of them seem to work so now, I've got a game I can't play at all.

I know that feel. Someone gave me the FO3 games on the xbox, and it would crash. I enjoyed FO3 NV enough to buy it on the PC, but I can't get it to not-crash either! Grrr.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:27 pm UTC

NV is quite crashy. But the latest patches does help a lot.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:20 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:NV is quite crashy. But the latest patches does help a lot.

The original Fallout 3 is also very crashy. I have never been able to play past the point where I leave the vault because the game always crashes at that point. This actually seems to be a feature of Bethesda games because Oblivion and Morrowind were also buggy as hell. The only Bethesda game I've ever actually played without running afoul of bugs is Skyrim, which is odd because everybody tells me it's their buggiest game ever.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:24 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:The only Bethesda game I've ever actually played without running afoul of bugs is Skyrim, which is odd because everybody tells me it's their buggiest game ever.
That's completely false. Morrowind was far and away buggier, if only because of crazy as shit like the boots of blinding speed, levitation and fortify acrobatics by 1000(You could jump 50 feet into the air). Also the cities were rendered in the world instead of separately so it could cause issues.

Daggerfall was also buggy as hell, but it was a different era then; I expected games to be more buggy.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:02 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:NV is quite crashy. But the latest patches does help a lot.

The original Fallout 3 is also very crashy. I have never been able to play past the point where I leave the vault because the game always crashes at that point. This actually seems to be a feature of Bethesda games because Oblivion and Morrowind were also buggy as hell. The only Bethesda game I've ever actually played without running afoul of bugs is Skyrim, which is odd because everybody tells me it's their buggiest game ever.

That sounds similar to the problems I was getting with FO3. The screen would just freeze on whatever it was doing before but the audio would keep going. I think the furthest I ever managed was just after (less than a minute) you become an adult.

I did some digging and, judging by the fixes it seems to be mainly that FO3 doesn't like windows 7 or Vista (or really anything later than XP, I doubt it'd like 8 for instance), CPUs with more than 2 cores or you have "too much" RAM (not sure how much it gets annoyed at. Unfortunately I have at least two of those and the fixes which are meant to make it work for them (adding an extra line to one bit of the code to make it use a certain number of cores, compatibility mode etc.) did nothing, they just meant I could play for about a minute instead of 30s.

So yeah, I was annoyed about that, it wasn't even on sale at the time so I blew a fair bit of money on it too. This was just before I got RAGE too and that didn't work out so well either...
my pronouns are they

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:20 pm UTC

I assume the steam version has the latest patch. I have a non-steam CD version of Fallout 3, and with the latest patch the game would crash constantly. I rolled back to a previous patch and the game was stable. Not sure if it's possible to do that with the steam version, unfortunately.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:54 pm UTC

yeah, I don't think there's a way to unpatch steam games without installing a mod which undoes the relevant changes. I think I tried the unofficial fallout3 patch too but it didn't work out :/

I've basically given up any hope of playing it on this machine. I might give it a try on my next one though (hopefully not too long on that count though).
my pronouns are they

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:06 pm UTC

Got Krater. It wasn't very expensive to begin with, but now it's just ridiculously cheap.

I like it. It plays a bit like Dungeon Siege, and is set in a fallout-esque post-apocalyptic Sweden.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:48 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:The only Bethesda game I've ever actually played without running afoul of bugs is Skyrim, which is odd because everybody tells me it's their buggiest game ever.
That's completely false. Morrowind was far and away buggier, if only because of crazy as shit like the boots of blinding speed, levitation and fortify acrobatics by 1000(You could jump 50 feet into the air). Also the cities were rendered in the world instead of separately so it could cause issues.

Daggerfall was also buggy as hell, but it was a different era then; I expected games to be more buggy.

I'm going to add on to what Dark said - Bethesda games, while still giant bugpiles, are getting less and less and less buggy. Even after several playthroughs of Skyrim, I only crashed to desktop a handful of times and experienced fewer than 15 game-breaking bugs.

Any other company would illicit cries of "What the hell is this shit?" but it's quite literally the least buggy Bethesda game I've ever played.

What appears to be happening is - with every game Bethesda puts out, they get more new players. A lot more. 5-10 times more. New players seem to outnumber people who've played their earlier games (or the old players are just being quiet) and as a result, you have people encountering games that - if released by another company - would get shoved to the bargain bin for being buggy messes.

Bethesda somehow gets a pass on this due to.... I dunno. History?

Arena was buggy. Daggerfall was more buggy to the point where it was literally unbeatable without a patch. Morrowind was less buggy than Daggerfall. Oblivion was less buggy than Morrowind. Fallout 3 was less buggy than Oblivion. And Skyrim is less buggy than Fallout 3. Just people are getting in to Bethesda games without the proper introduction of "You're going to play that? But they haven't released a patch yet - how do you know the menu is going to work?"

Seriously, the person saying Skyrim is Bethesda's buggiest game literally has no idea what they're talking about.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:58 pm UTC

Skyrim had some very high visibility bugs though. Mammoths dropping from the sky was common place. And an uncomfortable amount of z-fighting in distant terrain.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:29 pm UTC

Bioshock for $5?

Yippie!

Also: Borderlands is awesome. Hurray for being behind on the gaming curve.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:41 am UTC

Apparently everyone with a copy of Aah! A Reckless Disregard for Gravity got a 50% off coupon for Aah! For the Awesome. Though I actually own two copies of Disregard (because of the Potato Sack), so I got two coupons. I also already own For the Awesome.

Does anyone want the coupons? They're worthless to me, but I don't want them to go to waste. They expire August 13th.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:45 am UTC

I also have a coupon to spare. the Aah! games are a lot of fun, definitely worth 5 dollars with the coupon.

For the Awesome is also on sale as part of Indie-bundle VI on Steam right now, which is $10 and includes DEFCON and SpaceChem both of which I recommend heartily, the bundle also includes two other games I'm not familiar with.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

Return to “Gaming”