Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

oscar_spider

Re: Minecraft

Postby oscar_spider » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:41 pm UTC

_infina_ wrote:Updated creeper killer to to them into the void. No more random item drops

That will make Gunpowder very rare to get. How about doing: /gamerule mobGriefing false

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:21 pm UTC

oscar_spider wrote:
_infina_ wrote:Updated creeper killer to to them into the void. No more random item drops

That will make Gunpowder very rare to get. How about doing: /gamerule mobGriefing false

It only happens at night. Still can get gunpowder from cave creepers.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:41 pm UTC

raudorn,
http://i.imgur.com/aLtkYRx.png
that building looks a lot like a church/congregation place rather than a house. :wink:

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:10 am UTC

Somehow a villager I was transporting by boat disappeared between log on sessions and is apparently lost and nowhere to be found. Major bummer as it was an irreplaceable old style trading villager I was delivering to Zephyr. :( There's no way the villager could have gotten out of the boat and I was logged off in the middle of the ocean where nothing could have happened to it.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:11 am UTC

_infina_ wrote:
oscar_spider wrote:

It only happens at night. Still can get gunpowder from cave creepers.

Ok. Thanks for the info. Will the cave creepers be killed once night arrives?

EDIT: What about just doing the /gamerule mobGriefing false? What's the downside, if any?

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:21 pm UTC

The downside is that it's not as vanilla as I'd like it to be. :oops: But that goes for teleporting creepers, too.
The only possible downside is that creepers won't be able to blow away your "carefully constructed" dirt path at the top of a ravine, leaving you to fall to your death or be consumed by lava. And endermen will no longer be able to pick up blocks and decorate trees with them (well, there's a lot of less intrusive vandalising or even improvement to the landscape, but dirt in trees is the most common downside of roaming endermen).

The upsides are that you don't need to use questionable commands and creepers will still be a hazard to players themselves.

Also found out why the End map wasn't updating: tectonicus crashed upon seeing 1.11-specific stuff, which only affected the End so far. It would seem that my inventory is at -5600,1200.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:56 pm UTC

Yay, found my inventory, boo, lost a lot of it because my items didn't drop after dying in the overworld. :| (the pool of water at the arcology is smaller than I remembered :roll: that would merely be a small inconvenience if my items weren't lost to the nothingness)
At least I'm still at +4 elytra (2 lost in rescue missions, at least 6 found), so raudorn, there's elytra waiting for you at the arcology, and zephyr, yours is in the gear chest at the Moon.

Also shulker boxes are niiiiiiiiiiiice. :D I'm currently stuffing my ender chest choke full of them.

What's a good suit setup? I'm currently thinking of making a couple (because of expected mortality) of these sets:

Code: Select all

Helmet      Unbreaking III, Mending, Protection IV, Respiration III, Aqua Affinity
Chestplate  Unbreaking III, Mending, Fire Protection IV, Thorns III
Leggings    Unbreaking III, Mending, Protection IV
Boots       Unbreaking III, Mending, Protection IV, Feather Falling IV, Depth Strider III

Sword       Unbreaking III, Mending, Sharpness V, Knockback II, Looting III (, Sweeping Edge III)
Bow         Unbreaking III, Mending, Power V, Infinity, Punch II, Flame
Last edited by Flumble on Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

timrem

Postby timrem » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:27 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:

Boots       Unbreaking III, Mending, Feather Falling IV, Depth Strider III

Unless my knowledge is out of date, Feather Falling is compatible with other forms of damage protection. So unless the exclusion was intentional, you could add some Blast Protection or other to those boots.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:55 pm UTC

Oh, right, it's not in the way. In that case let's add some more regular protection.

I'm hesitant about thorns: yes, it damages any attacker, but it also wears your armour significantly. Then again, when mending the whole bunch, you ought to farm xp without getting hit, so it fits.

[edit]fire aspect on a sword is also nice, but only for cattle and other non-teleporting mobs.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:34 pm UTC

You can add Thorns to any armour now, so might be worth adding to your leggings - adding it to helmet and boots gets costly what with all the other enchantments on them. What do you mean about it wearing your armour out faster?

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:14 pm UTC

This is a silly and obvious thing, but a few weeks ago when I was on a hiatus from internet connectivity I also acquired the useful-to-me awareness and habit that:

If you don't want to use diamonds to make a tool or item of armor but you want it unenchanted, buy two of that thing from a villager and repair them together on a crafting grid.

Server sound effects seem to have scrambled but it might be my end; has anyone else got this? Zombies making wolf and horse sounds, lightning having a metal clank mixed in, and other weird stuff. It's kind of fun.

liberonscien
-ce

Postby liberonscien » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:47 pm UTC

Could I be white listed for the server, please?
My username is "liberonscien".
Warning: This user is currently questioning its beliefs. This user offers its sincerest apologies if it accidentally offends another user. This user never offends others on purpose and may accidentally offend other users because it lacks knowledge regarding how to be a normal human.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:10 am UTC

Feylias wrote:Server sound effects seem to have scrambled but it might be my end; has anyone else got this? Zombies making wolf and horse sounds, lightning having a metal clank mixed in, and other weird stuff. It's kind of fun.

Yes, myself and others are getting the random sound effects too. Was quite startling the first time I heard Vindicator sounds. It makes it hard to identify what is really around you. :(

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:12 am UTC

Mutex wrote:What do you mean about it wearing your armour out faster?

Armor enchanted with Thorns takes extra damage when it deals the Thorns damage. Thus it wears out faster.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:29 pm UTC

oscar_spider wrote:What about just doing the /gamerule mobGriefing false? What's the downside, if any?
I'm kind of out of the loop as to why creepers need nerfing at all, but assuming they do need nerfing, mobGriefing is a workable but often problematic method because of all the other, somewhat counterintuitive stuff it does:

Mobs can't pick up items (so you can't give arm and armor mobs). Snow golems don't leave a snow trail. Ender Dragons don't remove any blocks. Villagers can't harvest crops (so bread farms stop working). Withers can be generated in cages and murdered there. Weird stuff.

I wouldn't ever prefer it, but I wouldn't object, and it *would* get rid of all the legacy gunpowder-toting zombies (though I begin to think they're cute)

...if I weren't lazy, I'd create a minecraftpedia entry for mobGriefing.

A stackexchange post recommended this untested-by-me command instead:

/entitydata @e[type=Creeper] {ExplosionRadius:0}

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:34 pm UTC

Seeing as I advocated about solving "the Creeper problem" in the past, I feel the need to explain what we're trying to solve anyway:
The problem is that Creepers blow holes into structures and delete blocks from the game. Now, that is precisely their function, but it gets a bit problematic for a simple reason: You don't have a choice in where a creeper spawns, but when it blows up it's your fault for destroying someone else's building. For new buildings we say it's the responsibility of the builder to ensure no mobs spawn there. But unfortunately this can't be said for "historic" buildings, as is evidenced by the fact that Creepers spawn in the middle of Plains City, the most densely populated region on the server. It'd be a monumental and tedious task to refit all notable buildings and surrounding area with lights.

So we have the choice of either preventing (in any fashion) the Creepers from destroying blocks or accepting that the server will, over time, be blown to pieces by Creepers. If you want to know how that will look like, just look at the area around the Mordor Outpost or below the Cookie Kingdom. It's a cratered, marred area difficult to navigate.

Edit: Basically, I wanted to say: It's not about Creepers being too difficult, but about preserving the server history instead of watching erosion take it away.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:50 pm UTC

Can't you just make it the responsibility of whoever let a creeper explode to fix the mess?

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:43 pm UTC

That's not always realistic. A server 'archaeologist' exploring older structures won't have detailed memory of the structure's they're exploring, and some structures may include blocks or block-arrangements that are no longer possible to obtain/replicate.

For example, the Moon at clocktown had a free-floating water-source-block elevator to reach it, but a creeper explosion caused a block update at the top of the elevator, causing the water source-block there to flow and update all the water sources below it, ruining the elevator.

Updates since the water-elevator was originally constructed have made it so that free-floating water-source-blocks are no longer possible, that elevator was irreplaceable.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:11 am UTC

raudorn wrote:Edit: Basically, I wanted to say: It's not about Creepers being too difficult, but about preserving the server history instead of watching erosion take it away.

Originally that was the main reason for nerfing creepers, and I do not object to it at least in the main cities. Out in the untamed wild it doesn't make much sense. Prior to that nerfing, it was whoever caused the creeper to explode did their best to fix the damage or at least post what was damaged and where so the owner could fix it.

The most recent concern was with the method used to nerf them - it caused them to leave gunpowder behind for zombies to pick up and thus an ever growing population of gunpowder toting zombies that wouldn't despawn.

I also no longer advocate turning off mob griefing for the other unintended side effects that Feylias mentioned:
Feylias wrote: mobGriefing is a workable but often problematic method because of all the other, somewhat counterintuitive stuff it does:

Mobs can't pick up items (so you can't give arm and armor mobs). Snow golems don't leave a snow trail. Ender Dragons don't remove any blocks. Villagers can't harvest crops (so bread farms stop working). Withers can be generated in cages and murdered there. Weird stuff.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:57 pm UTC

"Look Out! There are Llamas!!"

Yesterday I finished a 12000+ block trek to bring Llamas back to my Parthenon. Frost Walker Boots for the win!!
Attachments
2017-02-01_16.48.19.png

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:21 am UTC

We are running vanilla 1.11.2 now for the server. I have also created a sleep voting system with command blocks so that if more than 50% of the players are in bed, the server will skip the night. Let me know about any additional lag issues.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

liberonscien
-ce

Postby liberonscien » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:27 am UTC

Could I be white listed for the server?
Warning: This user is currently questioning its beliefs. This user offers its sincerest apologies if it accidentally offends another user. This user never offends others on purpose and may accidentally offend other users because it lacks knowledge regarding how to be a normal human.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:24 am UTC

_infina_ wrote:We are running vanilla 1.11.2 now for the server. I have also created a sleep voting system with command blocks so that if more than 50% of the players are in bed, the server will skip the night. Let me know about any additional lag issues.

Now to get some Sweeping Edge enchantments to add to swords.

Is that a different Sleep voting than appeared recently? A couple times over the last few weeks there were "Wakey Wakey" messages when someone slept - so I assumed it was a server side mod.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:45 pm UTC

oscar_spider wrote:
_infina_ wrote:We are running vanilla 1.11.2 now for the server. I have also created a sleep voting system with command blocks so that if more than 50% of the players are in bed, the server will skip the night. Let me know about any additional lag issues.

Now to get some Sweeping Edge enchantments to add to swords.

Is that a different Sleep voting than appeared recently? A couple times over the last few weeks there were "Wakey Wakey" messages when someone slept - so I assumed it was a server side mod.

Yes, I was using morpheus on the server side. Now that I have found a way to do it with command blocks, I have switched to vanilla.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

Fractangle

Postby Fractangle » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:59 am UTC

I've been getting back into vanilla Minecraft again! :)

I'm on the whitelist, but I was hoping a friend of mine could get whitelisted too? Her IGN is "renee_h".

renee_h

Postby renee_h » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:44 pm UTC

Yes, if I could please be added to the whitelist that would be great :)

Like Fractangle said, my IGN is "renee_h"

I too haven't really played vanilla Minecraft in a while, I'm looking forward to see what's new.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:23 pm UTC

renee_h wrote:Yes, if I could please be added to the whitelist that would be great :)

Like Fractangle said, my IGN is "renee_h"

I too haven't really played vanilla Minecraft in a while, I'm looking forward to see what's new.

Done
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

Fractangle

Postby Fractangle » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:52 pm UTC

Renee and I have fixed the enderman farm! Now it runs on a minecart-bound endermite named Feature. Ender pearls and XP for everyone! :D

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:16 pm UTC

The server just crashed. A bunch of us on (4 total). It crashed just as Ganalef & WeirtScott were going throught the nether portal into Mordor.

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:16 pm UTC

All, I think the server is currently down.

edit: what oscar_spider said
these are words
type, type, type

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:17 pm UTC

Oh shit, now I'm getting emailed by my server every minute that the server is unreachable (i.e. crashed). Stop it, cron! :shock:

[edit] Also wow! 5 players online at the same time! We haven't had that many concurrent players in at least the past 6 months. :O
Last edited by Flumble on Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:19 pm UTC

Storytime (or, as I used to say, "Blagtiem")

Weirdscott and I met at spawn so I could show him the way to Mordor/Fiddler's Green!

Why? Well, things changed. I had this lovely portal connection that linked to the basement of the abandoned-and-horror miner outpost (which incidentally hosts Roos' IWBTS), but the portal link broke and now the portal exits the Nether on the land. Beneath the cobble sky. In Mordor proper. Danger zone.

So, we've gone through some travails and darkness and danger and complication just to get to the proper spot in the Nether together, and I give him the gouge: "The outpost is north of here, and the doors are on the east side. There's a lake; it'll make it easier." And he's all business and badass with his "I'll be right behind you watching your back" or similar.

...and then the server crashes just as I step into the portal (well, probably moments before; Fract and Renee went offline a second before.)

...so, anticlimax? Now I know how my exes felt. : /

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:23 pm UTC

Feylias wrote:...and then the server crashes just as I step into the portal (well, probably moments before; Fract and Renee went offline a second before.)

Renee left about 50 minutes earlier. Fractangle and I were still on when the server crashed.

I sent a message to infina to check on it.

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:25 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:[edit] Also wow! 5 players online at the same time! We haven't had that many concurrent players in at least the past 6 months. :O

It was nice to see it so active
these are words
type, type, type

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:32 am UTC

Anyone have any experience with Industrial Craft 2s nuclear reactors? It's part of the modpack on a server some of my friends set up and I'm interested in playing around with them, but a lot of the info I've been able to find seems to be incomplete or outdated.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:10 pm UTC

Infina - it looks like the Status Page at https://xkcd.flumble.nl/status.html is no longer updating.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:48 pm UTC

That's out of infina's control, but thanks for saying it in the topic. :P

Going by

PAM unable to dlopen(/usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so): /usr/lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.25' not found (required by /usr/lib/libcrypt.so.1)

it seems I need to restart the server after updating a lot. :oops: (strange that it didn't send error messages in the mail this time)

[edit]now it's monitoring again

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:01 pm UTC

_infina_? You have a PM.

Rarely, a crash will involve the loss of all player inventory and ender chest inventory for whoever was online at the time.
For valuables that are difficult to replace (maps, sponges, elytra) it is handy to have a screenshot of anything you habitually keep in the Enderchest so that if a crash occurs, you don't have trouble remembering what to request refunded. Fortunately, I had backups of all my maps and had a screenshot from September (recent, by my standards.) : )

I have a ridiculous amount of mending bows and of enchantment books in general. If there are enchantments anyone's looking for, feel free to come visit! Bring excess cobble. : )

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:21 pm UTC

Also I last synced the world on 2017-03-05, so if the inventories were unfucked back then, I'll send them/the world to you (to merge or replace the current world).

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:49 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
Also I last synced the world on 2017-03-05, so if the inventories were unfucked back then, I'll send them/the world to you (to merge or replace the current world).

Can you put the player.dat files back on the server. That should resolve it...
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

Return to “Gaming”