Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Feylias

Re: Minecraft

Postby Feylias » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:41 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Has Feylias been playing somewhen in the past 20 hours? The server was running like a charm yesterday and now it's dead. :o
I promise not to try to get on again until I'm told to. : )

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:47 pm UTC

Okay, so I think I have the server so that it will restart without issue automatically when it shuts down...Now I need to find the issue that causes it to crash due to ticking and remove it.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:20 am UTC

Thanks _infina_!

I've come up with a better name for the to be city: the barren lands. Other than the odd patch of trees it's just snow and ice everywhere. It's taken me more than an hour to find some animals and get them to (15000,0). :shock: (only sheep and cows so far, but those are usually the only animals you really need)

Anyway here's the first residential building (under construction) on site:
[house intensifies].png

(perhaps the roof should be made of planks instead of stone, but nostalgia is telling me it must be stone half slabs)

I encourage others to come play again and get to (15000,0) for a bit of adventure. (there is no teleport or portal yet)

Feylias wrote:
Flumble wrote:Has Feylias been playing somewhen in the past 20 hours? The server was running like a charm yesterday and now it's dead. :o

heheh :P

[edit]
Finally I've "solved" my frame hiccup problem! By setting a framerate cap of 30 and turning vsync off (and "of course" setting a draw distance of <5 chunks), the game finally has enough spare time to do the garbage collecting (or whatever it is) between frames instead of postponing it and then taking half-seconds to catch up. :shock: (and this epiphany comes rather late, since I'll have a new computer next week)

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:24 pm UTC

_infina_ wrote:Okay, so I think I have the server so that it will restart without issue automatically when it shuts down...Now I need to find the issue that causes it to crash due to ticking and remove it.

Well, it's crashed right now.

I don't know what you currently have set up to auto-restart the server, but perhaps you can make a monitor (cronjob?) that checks every minute whether a tcp connection to :25565 is possible (or an http-request given that dynmap is enabled) and kills and starts the server if it's not. (e.g. netcat -zvw 1 localhost 25565 and then a conditional that tests if there's anything written to stderr)

Also can you try running the server without dynmap for a bit? I think a server mod that is resource-intensive and may need to access unloaded chunks is a likely candidate for crashing the server.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:35 pm UTC

So, my entire server had a restart while I was asleep, but I have a surprise for whoever can actually get on.

What I was using didn't like the small change I made, but the minecraft server is up.

Just an FYI, the world folder is 6.2G in size right now...I will have to do some filesystem pruning to be able to test it, so for now, I am moving resetting ganalef's player.dat.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:03 am UTC

_infina_ wrote:So, my entire server had a restart while I was asleep, but I have a surprise for whoever can actually get on.

Woot! Now I can reduce my bone storage from 12+ double chests to 4+. :)

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:57 am UTC

Or you could, you know, not store all the bones you encounter. Though if you must, you should at least make a large bone temple for the bone god in Essos Easteria Midgard Destiny.*
There's a clocktower now too. For what it's worth, you can read the time from up to 5 chunks away (more if you have a ridiculous resolution or FoV).

In other news, 1.10 has brought auto-jumping to the PC. It's nice to have when you're running around outside, but it's really finnicky when working somewhere inside (e.g. redstone circuits in the clocktower).

*We really need to settle on a name for this place...

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:28 pm UTC

The server is very slow to load chunks when connecting, and abysmally slow when trying to open chests after moving to nearby chunks.

Edit: There are also places so laggy as to be difficult to move and unplayable.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:19 pm UTC

oscar_spider wrote:
The server is very slow to load chunks when connecting, and abysmally slow when trying to open chests after moving to nearby chunks.

So, I have restarted the server to see if there was something loaded that should not be, I have no idea if this has helped yet.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:28 pm UTC

_infina_ wrote:
oscar_spider wrote:

So, I have restarted the server to see if there was something loaded that should not be, I have no idea if this has helped yet.

It might be a tiny bit better, but not by enough to make much difference.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:44 pm UTC

I'm not noticing (and haven't noticed the past week) slow chunk loading or chests taking time to open. Are you sure the problem is at the server side, oscar?

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:57 pm UTC

I had a little bit of slow chunk loading earlier, but not bad and mostly restricted to when I logged on or changed zones (nether). Didn't have any problem with chests.

I did notice that if I used a teleport, then I couldn't use my elytra until I logged off and back on. Otherwise it worked fine though, so a huge improvement over before the update.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:25 pm UTC

I am looking at a possible replacement for DynMap. It may take some time to work on getting working correctly.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:02 am UTC

Flumble wrote:I'm not noticing (and haven't noticed the past week) slow chunk loading or chests taking time to open. Are you sure the problem is at the server side, oscar?

Pretty sure not on my side. I also have no issues on local worlds or another multiplayer world I tested on.

I noticed the first time I logged in after the update that initial chunk loading was very slow. Once the chunks load at the Parthenon I'm fine unless I go to my nearby golem farm, try to go through my nether portal, or to oscarville. If I go back to the parthenon chests are slow for a while then they go back to normal.

Edit: Also just noticed one of my skeleton horses is gone and nowhere in the area. :(

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:33 am UTC

_infina_ wrote:I am looking at a possible replacement for DynMap. It may take some time to work on getting working correctly.

Does it not play well with 1.10?

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:08 am UTC

Flumble wrote:In other news, 1.10 has brought auto-jumping to the PC. It's nice to have when you're running around outside, but it's really finnicky when working somewhere inside (e.g. redstone circuits in the clocktower).

I ended up disabling it. It would be really good if you could assign a hotkey to toggle it on/off, then I'd use it (turn it on when outdoors). The other issue is that if you have jump boost, then when you go up one block you end up jumping two blocks in the air, it's ridiculous.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:53 pm UTC

oscar_spider wrote:
Flumble wrote:I'm not noticing (and haven't noticed the past week) slow chunk loading or chests taking time to open. Are you sure the problem is at the server side, oscar?

Pretty sure not on my side. I also have no issues on local worlds or another multiplayer world I tested on.

I noticed the first time I logged in after the update that initial chunk loading was very slow. Once the chunks load at the Parthenon I'm fine unless I go to my nearby golem farm, try to go through my nether portal, or to oscarville. If I go back to the parthenon chests are slow for a while then they go back to normal.

Edit: Also just noticed one of my skeleton horses is gone and nowhere in the area. :(

This morning it is working just fine with no login chunk load lag and no delays when I go to my usual haunts or into the nether.

sardia

Postby sardia » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:12 am UTC

I just transfered my legacy account, has anyone tried realms yet?

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:05 am UTC

I didn't bully you off the server just now, right, zephyr/infina? :o

Anyway, vivecraft is really nice. Things become as big as they actually are —chickens and sheep are really oversized. :P You do need /tp permission on servers, though, because otherwise you have to move joystickally which leads to instant nausea. (your eyes register an accelerating reference frame while your vestibular system doesn't)

So, pretty please, may I have teleport permissions? :roll:

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:38 am UTC

I've been playing a bit on the server again, making a few additions to... to... uhm.

• Whittington
  • The Barren Lands
  • Hope
  • Destiny

With this selection, I honestly vote for Whittington.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:55 am UTC

I have constructed Elytra launch pads at Pandora and the moon over Clocktown and completed a few proof-of-concept non-stop flights between the two using a punch 2 bow, just short of 7,000 blocks.

The launch pads work very well, I tried a flight from the Moon to Pandora without and had a couple of close calls with the ground before slamming into a tree by the Pandora airport, but with the Launch Pads you get enough altitude that I'm not even sure a punch bow is necessary to make the flight.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:02 pm UTC

So I was trying to fly non-stop from the Moon to Spawn, when I was randomly teleported from mid-air into an underground dungeon of some sort where I fell into lava and died, losing my elytra.

:x
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:12 pm UTC

Near the clocktower?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:44 pm UTC

Not sure where I was when I got teleported. I did take a screenshot with the console open of where I got teleported to though.

It was X: -14992, Y: 28, Z: -6294

Also, the server appears to be down at the moment.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:32 pm UTC

So, err, what's the Moon? Is it available on the old map? (your target coordinates are; that doesn't look like a regular teleport destination: the airship for the library is only a few chunks away and a lot higher)

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:49 pm UTC

The Moon is the giant cobblestone moon I've been building out by Clocktown, not on the old map. It's between the Clocktown Airport and the Rocket, roughly X:-9500, Z: -8300

My initial thought was that I'd somehow just glitched underground, but those coords aren't even anywhere near my flightpath. And it's not like Iw as wildly off course or flying in the wrong direction either, I have another screenshot of a mesa biome I found on the same flight a few minutes earlier and that's at X: -232 Z: -5182, so basically the complete opposite direction from where I was teleported too.

I don't believe the current server outage is related either. After I respawned I was able to rebuild most of my inventory (aside from the elytra) from stuff I had at my base before logging off normally, didn't notice any other anomalys other than that one teleport.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:14 pm UTC

So, of the old admins for the server, who is comfortable with using csh on FreeBSD? I will need an rsa public key for you to use to get on to the server if you want access to it.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:01 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:Not sure where I was when I got teleported. I did take a screenshot with the console open of where I got teleported to though.

It was X: -14992, Y: 28, Z: -6294

Also, the server appears to be down at the moment.

What the shit? Huh. Well, that.. May? mean something was moving around down in my old dungeons, as that's the Air Temple and lava Tower and such that I built forever ago.

I completely forget how any of it works.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:38 pm UTC

Feylias wrote:
This promise expired. I will jump on the next time I can. I can't yet, though; it appears the server is down. : (

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:13 pm UTC

Feylias wrote:
Feylias wrote:
This promise expired. I will jump on the next time I can. I can't yet, though; it appears the server is down. : (

ok, so I have restarted the server. Did not know it was down. I think I moved your player file to put you at spawn. If not, I will need to download the entire map and take a look tomorrow.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:32 pm UTC

I mentioned that it was down in my post. I thought since you were looking for more people to be server admins that you had seen it but just couldn't do anything about it at the moment, otherwise I would have pinged you or got on IRC
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:36 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:
I mentioned that it was down in my post. I thought since you were looking for more people to be server admins that you had seen it but just couldn't do anything about it at the moment, otherwise I would have pinged you or got on IRC

Ah, I did not see it in your post...server randomly restarts on me some days. Still looking for a cause.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:18 pm UTC

_infina_ wrote:
Feylias wrote:
Feylias wrote:
ok, so I have restarted the server. Did not know it was down. I think I moved your player file to put you at spawn. If not, I will need to download the entire map and take a look tomorrow.
Alas. I logged in and did nothing but look around; my feet and hands stayed idle. I was not at spawn; was still where I left off, atop my sky. Same crash; it said "Server Closed" and died. I regret the murder.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:26 am UTC

Feylias wrote:
_infina_ wrote:
Feylias wrote:
Feylias wrote:
Alas. I logged in and did nothing but look around; my feet and hands stayed idle. I was not at spawn; was still where I left off, atop my sky. Same crash; it said "Server Closed" and died. I regret the murder.

So, I can get no errors in single player for your data...but I have moved you to pandora to see if you can login now.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:01 pm UTC

Last night I entered the nether portal under Gana's cobble sky to spawn and came out... in the End?

Wasn't really a problem, more convenient actually since I was headed back to my base anyway so I just used the exit portal to spawn back at my bed. But still fairly odd.

(EDIT: I was mistaken earlier, I entered the nether-side spawn nether portal. It happened again. I've now tried several times and every time I enter that portal, it takes me to the end instead of to Spawn.)

I've added an elytra launcher to the End now as well. Using an elytra + punch bow to hunt End Ships was surprisingly easy. Though I've had lots of practice with high-endurance elytra flight now. The End Ships spawn right about normal cruising altitude, so spotting them and landing was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Was able to grab two elytra and return to the island in about a half hour and still had about 50% condition on my enchanted elytra. Punch bow was a little the worse for wear though, next time I'll probably take a spare.

It's gonna get harder as the nearby end ships are exhausted as well. not sure what to do about, may have to start considering some kind of network of End outposts.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:13 am UTC

For no particular reason, other than that I have way too much time on my hands, Pandora and Clocktown are now connected by an underground two-way rail line via the Mysterious Isle and VULCAN Alpha Shaft.

if I don't find something more productive to do with my time soon, there may be a subterranean rail line connecting Clocktown to the Eastern Doohickey's subway system before long.

But seriously though, I have a problem, I need help.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:37 pm UTC

Yes, your problem is that you're still in the Old World.
Go to The East instead and populate the place. It's not even large enough to deserve railways yet. :oops: (though last time I checked there was one smallish single-track railway)

As for help: it's at (15000,0).

MrMonkey

Postby MrMonkey » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:43 am UTC

Dropbox has informed me that it is discontinuing hosting public HTML pages on October 3rd, so the old map will no longer function soon. I've made a zip of it if someone wants to rehost it:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/372 ... %20map.zip

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:46 pm UTC

I'll give it a shot.
[edit]done: xkcd.flumble.nl/map/[/edit]

Today I learned blocks of coal are a fire hazard.
sundown.png

Ah, that's a relaxing view after unknowingly setting your new project on fire.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:14 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Yes, your problem is that you're still in the Old World.
Go to The East instead and populate the place. It's not even large enough to deserve railways yet. :oops: (though last time I checked there was one smallish single-track railway)

As for help: it's at (15000,0).

The Metrorail in Whittington is alive and well, but I have no idea where we'd get the 5625 iron ingots necessary for a railway from Whittington to spawn. Unless there's an existing railway connection closer than spawn, but if I remember correctly from my survey, the best we could do is to connect to the broken rail from the Racing Track to Roosevelt Airport, which still is a 14k line or so. It's probably better to go for either a nether rail or build an airport and request a flight connection.

However, we could also construct a port at Whittington and open the first shipping line, which thematically hide a command block teleport just like the airplane/zeppelin lines, provided a mod likes the idea and sets up the actual connection.

Return to “Gaming”