Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Feylias

Re: Minecraft

Postby Feylias » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:39 am UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klHE8Q5Fc0k

By my drunken calculations, while carrying a full inventory of gold blocks and wearing gold armor, "Steve" can carry 87,071,306.7 pounds. This is more than 850 aircraft carriers would weigh. More than your mom AND your sister! And my mom!

This is even more impressive than the number of metal buckets filled with hot lava that he can carry. So let's not worry too much about lava. Steve's got it.

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:58 am UTC

Roosevelt wrote:
Feylias wrote:
mieulium wrote:Um... has the server been down since GMT +8 1 am till now, 11:16 AM? Or is it just only me?

I've been online almost constantly for the past eleven hours. ^_^; Good luck, I hope it fixes.

Edit: Whose is...this?
Spoiler:
2011-10-20_19.14.22.png
Not that it matters; I'm just trying to get the Monkey chest's location known. ^_^ In that vein, I took a picture of clue 6:
2011-10-20_19.58.35.png
So, to recap:
Spoiler:
Clue 1-4 were simply a chain that led to clues 5-7, which continued the chain and also gave the X, Y, and Z coordinates respectively.
Clue 5 wrote:The chest x is at a famous ratio that is below you times the normal base squared
The ratio's gonna be pi (duh), "below you" may mean the coordinates you're standing on when you read this (X420, Y120, Z-490, but it's probably just the X.) I don't know what "Normal Base Squared" means. My beloved thinks it means 7, because she uses 22/7 for pi. I use "I need a drink, alcoholic of course, that's the truth"...but I'm a drinker, and drinking now.
Clue 6 wrote:The chest why: the base of the only self derivating function by the integral from 0 to pi of 5sin(x)
I don't really need the Y coordinate. A google search says this may be the "inverse function", so I'll read about that.
Clue 7 wrote:The chest's z is the rectangles' 63mccxf 3523m57/ 7ctm6 21m 7e286x1d (times e^(i*pi))
786b63646d696e656372616674

so are these the seeds? ...or are they still stashed in a chest?
And as e^iπ+1=0 wrote, "786b63646d696e656372616674" is merely "xkcdminecraft" in hex ascii
At the moment, I'm not having any revelations, so I'll leave this stuff in case it helps someone else find the chest that has(?) the pumpkin seed (or other treasure) in it.

Spoiler:
Oh no! I've been found out! You'll never take me alive!

Oh, and thanks for spoiling clue #8 :P . There still is a super-ultra-secret better prize, if ya wanna keep going.

Please, no lava ignition. That stuff can just go die in a fi... Oh wait...

so are these the seeds? ...or are they still stashed in a chest?

Chaoszerom
Like stale dumplings for breakfast

Postby Chaoszerom » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:10 am UTC

Is the server up or is my Minecraft just being a derp?

Also is gold the heaviest thing Steve can carry? Probably, but we must RESEARCH! (And by we I mean you, since I am lazy :D)

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:20 am UTC

Feylias wrote:
Spoiler:
Clue 6 wrote:The chest why: the base of the only self derivating function by the integral from 0 to pi of 5sin(x)

Spoiler:
As Meteroswarm pointed out, the clue is talking about ex. And the integral from 0 to π of 5sin(x) is 10. So I guess he means e*10≈27? That sounds like a reasonable y-value.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

mieulium

Postby mieulium » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:27 am UTC

Chaoszerom wrote:Is the server up or is my Minecraft just being a derp?

Yup I have no idea whats going on, and I disabled my antivirus and my Spybot S&D. Its neither. So I'm going to try on my other laptop, when I come home later....
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

Chaoszerom
Like stale dumplings for breakfast

Postby Chaoszerom » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:35 am UTC

I'll try my other laptop... Just have to install about *everything* again, on account of formatting and reinstalling Windows. Won't be a mo.

EDIT: No dice.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:43 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:
Feylias wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
As Meteroswarm pointed out, the clue is talking about ex. And the integral from 0 to π of 5sin(x) is 10. So I guess he means e*10≈27? That sounds like a reasonable y-value.

Spoiler:
(sorry for not spoiling before, it was late and I was tired and forgot)

You could also just go to that x,z and dig down to bedrock until you hit something. It doesn't take that long, although it is a little cheatery.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

Decker

Postby Decker » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:51 pm UTC

Feylias wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klHE8Q5Fc0k

By my drunken calculations, while carrying a full inventory of gold blocks and wearing gold armor, "Steve" can carry 87,071,306.7 pounds. This is more than 850 aircraft carriers would weigh. More than your mom AND your sister! And my mom!

For extra credit, how much is all that gold worth?
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:09 pm UTC

Hard to say, as 133 stacks of Gold Blocks would be a hair or two more than all of the gold we have mined on Earth. So.. he's capable of hauling 25% of the gold mined, ever. Assuming I did my math right.

I guess what I'm saying is, Steve can totally destroy the Gold Market single-handed should he decide to unload his wealth all at once.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:13 pm UTC

Gold is currently worth $1639.19/oz according to goldprice.org. That's $26 227.04/pound. So.. $2283622643673.17?

Edit: Although, of course, ST is right and it would totally devalue gold.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:02 pm UTC

Sober now. Redid the math, because.

Steve can carry 97,926,913.3 pounds, or 44512.2333 long tonnes

The USS Roosevelt weighs 104,600 long tonnes, so Steve would need a couple friends to carry that off.

BUT, he can sprint, float in a dingy made out of one and a half cubic meters of wood, swim, fight, and sleep, all while bearing this load.

Math:
Spoiler:
Steve's armor = 2 1/3 cubic meters of gold.

Steve's inventory = Four rows of NINE slots of 64 cubic meters of gold.

Total, Steve can carry 2306 and 1/3 cubic meters of gold.

A cubic meter of gold weighs 19.3 long tons.

Steve can carry 44,512.2333 Long tonnes, which equal 2200 pounds.
Last edited by Feylias on Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Levi

Postby Levi » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:37 pm UTC

Feylias wrote:he can sprint, float in a dingy made out of one and a half cubic meters of wood, swim, fight, and sleep, all while doing bearing this load.

This means it's probably not even half his maximum carrying capacity.

Scallel
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Postby Scallel » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:58 pm UTC

So have we found the long hidden pumpkin seeds? Or do I get to just cause a line of destruction from two coordinates, then spanning out on the one we dont know.
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:06 pm UTC

I don't know that we even know two of them. I found out about this late and have just added a couple bits, but if my reading of Feylias' post is right then we have all the clues for the x, y, and z, but haven't really figured them out. I took a stab at figuring out the y, but seeing as how that's the least important coordinate, that's not much help. And then part of the x is figured out and a useless part of the z is figured out. Or at least that's my impression.

Additionally, I haven't actually been able to play minecraft multiplayer lately because my uni's caching system thing claims that the client isn't properly configured. Even though configuring my browser was actually a system-wide change, not a browser setting. So I have no idea how to fix it.

tl;dr Iunno and I can't get on anyway.

(Avatar by Sungura)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:15 pm UTC

Feylias wrote:Math:
Spoiler:

Minor quibble.
You cannot discount the action bar. The inventory is five rows of nine slots, not four.

So he can pack 55,584, not 44,512.

Assuming my math is correct

Spoiler:
9*5 = 45
64*19.3 = 1235.2 (Weight of a stack)
45*1235.2 (Weight of all inventory slots filled with stacks) = 55,584
And now I see I cannot count. Why did I think it was four in the inventory, one for the bar? Ah well, I'm wrong, and foolishly so. That's the important thing here.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

mieulium

Postby mieulium » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:43 am UTC

mieulium wrote:
Chaoszerom wrote:Is the server up or is my Minecraft just being a derp?

Yup I have no idea whats going on, and I disabled my antivirus and my Spybot S&D. Its neither. So I'm going to try on my other laptop, when I come home later....

Q
Chaoszerom wrote:I'll try my other laptop... Just have to install about *everything* again, on account of formatting and reinstalling Windows. Won't be a mo.

EDIT: No dice.

Me too, Chaos, are you in Oceania?
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:19 am UTC

Multiplayer is down globally at present; it's a problem with minecraft.net's authentication servers.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:26 am UTC

So I come home from the pub to an enforced break from SMP. ...okay, I load up Skyblock
Spoiler:
--there's a new version, so everything will be different (not sure I like that, but I'm not hating either; I'll try it.)

I punch the tree apart, being careful to lean way out over the edge so that I can catch as many saplings as possible.

I watch as the leaves decay. Slowly. one by one.

Not even ONE sapling. Great.

Give up? I probably ought to. ...but Skyblock is now actually "Skyblocks", and maybe the block on the horizon has a sapling. I make all the wood into planks, gather the chest and all the dirt blocks available, and I bridge way way way over to the sandy island on the horizon. ...and then dig myself steps in the side of the sandy island so I can ascend.

The entire island falls into the abyss. I suck.

But it has a chest! So I grab the chest's contents and then the chest. It has ten obsidian blocks in it! And melon/pumpkin seeds. :/

I build a portal back on dirt island, and put the lava next to it hoping for fire to spread to it.
Of course, I've used every wood block I had in making the bridge. I try parking the lava in front of the obsidian (I've lost a half dozen dirt blocks to the abyss by now) The lava fire DOES spread...to the wooden bridge that extends towards where sand island used to be. I'm not fast enough to put it out.

When you mine blocks that are below your footlevel (not straight down, of course) sometimes they bounce up and you can collect them. I use dirt to repair my bridge and go out, attempting to harvest SOME of the wood. While I do that, I place a chest near the lava in the hopes that fire will spread to its surface and start the portal. As I kill a zombie for meat on my bridge, I hear the portal start. Yay! I can go into the Nether and then travel to kinder terrain!

...Well no; the portal links to a sky island in the Nether. But, I have a birch sapling! I can nearly start over!

...and the birch drops exactly one sapling. Off the edge. Before I can grab it. T_T
Last edited by Feylias on Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:56 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

MrMonkey

Postby MrMonkey » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:17 pm UTC

Feylias wrote:Sober now. Redid the math, because.

Steve can carry 97,926,913.3 pounds, or 44512.2333 long tonnes

The USS Roosevelt weighs 104,600 long tonnes, so Steve would need a couple friends to carry that off.

BUT, he can sprint, float in a dingy made out of one and a half cubic meters of wood, swim, fight, and sleep, all while bearing this load.

Math:
Spoiler:

Interestingly enough, if you were to stand, say, 10 cm next to Steve, who was carrying all this gold, you would feel a gravitational force of 0.297 N/kg (About 15 N(1.5kg of weight) for a 50 kg person).

That's not the real question though. The real question: what would happen if TWO Steves carrying gold stood in the world?
At *10m* away: they would feel 1319N of attractive force (135 kg of weight). At 1 meter, 131947 N (13463 kg of weight)! Ridiculous!

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:44 pm UTC

MrMonkey wrote:At 1 meter, 131947 N (13463 kg of weight)!

So, pretty much nothing for steve.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

Scallel
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Postby Scallel » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:45 pm UTC

Hmmmm. While my attempts to show off ganalefs area to my friend failed, due to the constant almost comical deaths, I have made great advancements in operation Vanguard: To make the small lovely village blossom into a sprawling beautiful city meant to rival the great city of Roosevelt's. I have 1600 stone brick ready and waiting to be used in the name of Russ!

Also, in other news I am fully willing to search through aether and nether for the pumpkin seed chest as soon as someone tells me two of the three coordinates. From what I've read the y is twenty seven. With that all I need is the x or the z and I have enough TNT to carve a three by three path thousands of meters from anyplace I start.
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:53 pm UTC

Clearly we need a research lab to sort out the physics in this game. Who wants to build a supercollider?

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:07 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Clearly we need a research lab to sort out the physics in this game. Who wants to build a supercollider?

Lets see... There's tnt-based, minecart based, and then there are enderman-based...
a.k.a. Cazador

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:07 am UTC

Scallel wrote:Hmmmm. While my attempts to show off ganalefs area to my friend failed, due to the constant almost comical deaths, I have made great advancements in operation Vanguard: To make the small lovely village blossom into a sprawling beautiful city meant to rival the great city of Roosevelt's. I have 1600 stone brick ready and waiting to be used in the name of Russ!

Also, in other news I am fully willing to search through aether and nether for the pumpkin seed chest as soon as someone tells me two of the three coordinates. From what I've read the y is twenty seven. With that all I need is the x or the z and I have enough TNT to carve a three by three path thousands of meters from anyplace I start.

Hey, now, put down the TNT. Don't make me sic my boy Pershing on you.

Besides, wouldn't the TNT just destroy the chest?

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:54 am UTC

Speaking of science:

ChaosZerom and I were talking about his SSP attempts to grow pine trees underground.

...I can't do it. I don't KNOW that it's impossible, but I've carved HUGE rooms, lit them very well, and spammed lots of bonemeal, and I've tried this at varying heights..

...and then I made one successful tree at Y 2 but there was a 1mx1m hole all the way to the sky directly above it, and it was day above.

I wasn't able to repeat this result at Y 10 or above.

Birch and Oak trees grow easily underground, but these pine trees...

Also, Scallel: Those deaths *were* comical, and I've got your drops stored in a chest on the sky now. Same place as before. ^_^
Last edited by Feylias on Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:34 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:09 am UTC

I briefly had pine trees in the botanical garden, until the surprise creepers became annoying.

This was well before pistons though.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:12 am UTC

Feylias wrote:Speaking of science:

ChaosZerom and I were talking about his SSP attempts to grow pine trees underground.

...I can't do it. I don't KNOW that it's impossible, but I've carved HUGE rooms, lit them very well, and spammed lots of bonemeal, and I've tried this at varying heights..

...and then I made one successful tree at Y 2 but there was a 1mx1m hole all the way to the sky directly above it, and it was day above.

I will "soon" have a large open pit at bedrock, so feel free to experiment in it.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:16 am UTC

Feylias wrote:Speaking of science:

Also, Scallel: Those deaths *were* comical, and I've got your drops stored in a chest on the sky now. Same place as before. ^_^

I did get some pines to grow in the nether.

WarDaft

Postby WarDaft » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:49 am UTC

Did you guys forget the 2x2 crafting square? As soon as you close your inventory it's gone, but if you leave it open, you can get another 4 stacks. You can't run while doing this, but you can still float in a boat. This gives us a better lower bound on the density of water in minecraft.
All Shadow priest spells that deal Fire damage now appear green.
Big freaky cereal boxes of death.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:29 am UTC

WarDaft wrote:Did you guys forget the 2x2 crafting square? As soon as you close your inventory it's gone, but if you leave it open, you can get another 4 stacks. You can't run while doing this, but you can still float in a boat. This gives us a better lower bound on the density of water in minecraft.

Wouldn't that mater WATER the densest thing in the game? It's a small wonder the oceans haven't collapsed upon themselves.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:50 pm UTC

Roosevelt wrote:
WarDaft wrote:Did you guys forget the 2x2 crafting square? As soon as you close your inventory it's gone, but if you leave it open, you can get another 4 stacks. You can't run while doing this, but you can still float in a boat. This gives us a better lower bound on the density of water in minecraft.

Wouldn't that mater WATER the densest thing in the game? It's a small wonder the oceans haven't collapsed upon themselves.

Wouldn't sand and gravel be denser?
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:56 pm UTC

Well, that density must explain why water seems to expand indefinitely. It's just a really viscous and dense liquid.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

WarDaft

Postby WarDaft » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:02 pm UTC

Amishdemon wrote:Wouldn't sand and gravel be denser?

It is consistent with all of my tests so far that both sand and gravel are highly magnetic, and sink in water due not to their weight, but magnetic attraction to Minecraft's extensive iron deposits.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:10 pm UTC

WarDaft wrote:
Amishdemon wrote:Wouldn't sand and gravel be denser?

It is consistent with all of my tests so far that both sand and gravel are highly magnetic, and sink in water due not to their weight, but magnetic attraction to Minecraft's extensive iron deposits.

Shouldn't they be able to fall upwards in proximity to iron then?
a.k.a. Cazador

WarDaft

Postby WarDaft » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:41 pm UTC

Only if there is enough iron above them to counteract the massive iron deposits located deep in the Minecraft's mantle and their own weight. My theory predicts that we can measure the density of deep Minecraft iron by the minimum amount of iron necessary to levitate sand beneath it.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:55 pm UTC

But Minecraft doesn't have a mantle. It has a void. Unless you think the Nether is beneath the void.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:19 pm UTC

The void is highly magnetic.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:23 pm UTC

Actually, there must be something in the void apart from air, otherwise you wouldn't die. Unless it is a lack of air that kills.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:25 pm UTC

Well, yes, but wouldn't the air expand freely into the void? Or is there some sort of invisible air-blocker that is created when bedrock is mined through?
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

I'm proposing that there is an air gradient, as there is on Earth (though for different reasons).

Edit: Anyone here use buildcraft? I'm trying to make an oil rig. I can't seem to connect pipes to the driller.

Return to “Gaming”