Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Enokh

Re: Minecraft

Postby Enokh » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:29 pm UTC

You can apparently wear a pumpkin on your head in order to keep Endermen from going all Nightcrawler on you.

Yes, Endermen -- when not trying to murder you -- just randomly wander around and move things. Building a moat or water-wall is kind of necessary if you want to make sure they don't wander in to your camp/town during the night. It'd probably only be worth it once you start building with rare things (ore blocks for example). Pretty much entirely necessary if you mess with Redstone, since moving a single anything completely destroys whatever contraption you built.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:37 pm UTC

In the single-player game I'm running now, I plan on fully exploring the region where strongholds can spawn, and linking everything up by railways (which are super-abundant thanks to abandoned mines). I'll probably have to have those rails be in the Nether, though, since it'll be easy to surround them with glass and keep ghasts out whereas moats to keep out Endermen seems like significantly more work.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Levi

Postby Levi » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:48 pm UTC

Moats to keep them out would have to be rather big. I watched one walk into the ocean once and it made it 10 blocks in, and could swim.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:31 pm UTC

Why don't you make walls with water inside? Then when the Endermen move the wall, the get murdered :D
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Scallel
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Postby Scallel » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:32 am UTC

So, oh kind and merciful ST, when shall we expect the server back?
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:43 am UTC

Scallel wrote:So, oh kind and merciful ST, when shall we expect the server back?

My esteemed friend,

The server is active now.

I'm having all kinds of adventures with the way water flow misbehaves when sheeting off of my cobble sky. I may give up on the whole grass-killing part of the adventure. Maybe.

The server is not, of course, 1.8.

I remain,

cordially yours,

Gan Alef

Kain

Postby Kain » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:54 am UTC

Oh, Feylias/Ganny: is lava still not catching things on fire? (That should change when the server gets changed to 1.8, just fyi).

How often are all of you getting the invisible land glitch? I can't really complain: its rather nice being able to scout out the entire cavern systems from the ground, but it does cause some crashes... (I've found that I can force the crash by trying to get a screenshot of the affected area...)
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:59 am UTC

Scallel wrote:So, oh kind and merciful ST, when shall we expect the server back?

If you don't explain what the problem is? Never. Because I can't fix something if it's not broken for me without knowing what's broken for someone else.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:04 am UTC

I assume what he means, as Feylias pointed out, is "When is the server going to update to 1.8?"
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:08 am UTC

Kain wrote:Oh, Feylias/Ganny: is lava still not catching things on fire? (That should change when the server gets changed to 1.8, just fyi).

Fire still doesn't jump from lava on ST's server. When it starts, I'll know about it; part of my cobble generator is made of wool. ^_^ I suppose I should prioritize changing that. I'm busy playing with water now.

Also, playing with water on a big flat surface with holes in it? FUN! You can set it up like dominoes, so that one bucket of water starts a chain reaction that makes an acre go from being dotted with individual bits of water to utterly flooded.

If I weren't trying to kill grass, and if I weren't doing pre-enderman preventative measures, I'd wait until my whole sky was done to do this. ^_^ But this way it's fun too.

Once you've got an L-shaped group of water springs (which stays L shaped because of holes in the inner elbow of it), you lay a series of 1m slots over the land you wish to soak. Then, you fill these slots one at a time, and every time you fill one (starting from the inside of the angle) the water expands to the next one. Very satisfying, in a bubble-wrap kind of way, and not at all drudgery or super slow. I was worried I'd have to swim against the current, but this way I don't need to.

Good times.

mieulium

Postby mieulium » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:26 pm UTC

So, I got excited with mushroom houses and water....
Attachments
2011-09-17_20.11.12.png
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:05 pm UTC

Levi wrote:Moats to keep them out would have to be rather big. I watched one walk into the ocean once and it made it 10 blocks in, and could swim.

Ah. Well, then I guess it's either waterfall walls, or normal walls that have to be constantly repaired.

I'm hoping that when Notch adds the Aether, there's a lightstone-esque block that produces light which counts as sunlight. That'd be rather cool.

Also, just now figured out that you can changed server settings to increase view distance (only +50% from default, but still). And found a mod that increases view distance by something like 600-800%, with corresponding lag for people who don't dump tons of money into computers.

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:19 pm UTC

Enokh wrote:I'm hoping that when Notch adds the Aether, there's a lightstone-esque block that produces light which counts as sunlight. That'd be rather cool.

Glowstone already produces the same amount of light as sunshine.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:41 pm UTC

I was more referring to the "burns various monsters" part of sunshine.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:50 pm UTC

Enokh wrote:
Levi wrote:Moats to keep them out would have to be rather big. I watched one walk into the ocean once and it made it 10 blocks in, and could swim.

Ah. Well, then I guess it's either waterfall walls, or normal walls that have to be constantly repaired.

I'm hoping that when Notch adds the Aether, there's a lightstone-esque block that produces light which counts as sunlight. That'd be rather cool.

Also, just now figured out that you can changed server settings to increase view distance (only +50% from default, but still). And found a mod that increases view distance by something like 600-800%, with corresponding lag for people who don't dump tons of money into computers.

What I have is a lava trench, it seems to work perfectly fine. Not as neat as water trenches, with variable slushing lava areas, but gets the job done. Also gives off enough light locally to prevent most things from spawning.

Also, minecraft really embodies human fear sometimes. Playing creative, while I enjoyed the invulnerability towards everything and anything, I realized that I couldn't die when I was lost in a cave, and it terrified me. Sure I could dig up, but realizing there was "no escape" from that world kind of freaked me out. I then realized I could dig through bedrock, and was worried I would just float in the nothingness void forever. Turns out I do die.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:53 pm UTC

Steax wrote:I then realized I could dig through bedrock, and was worried I would just float in the nothingness void forever. Turns out I do die.

You could have flown. Of course, it's a bit tricky getting back up, but only because it's dark.

Kain

Postby Kain » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:58 pm UTC

Vieto wrote:
Steax wrote:I then realized I could dig through bedrock, and was worried I would just float in the nothingness void forever. Turns out I do die.

You could have flown. Of course, it's a bit tricky getting back up, but only because it's dark.

Just turn the brightness setting off of moody, and even that disappears. Of course, that means that its harder to remember to get to a bed/shelter in time in survival, but what have you
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:55 pm UTC

Enokh wrote:I was more referring to the "burns various monsters" part of sunshine.

The only thing that makes sunlight do that is that it's light level 15. Glowstone is too, but the mob has to be standing on it for it to burn.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:00 pm UTC

Huh, didn't know that. So a feasible mob trap would be to make them fall onto glowstone?

(Avatar by Sungura)

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:09 pm UTC

For zombies, skeletons, and endermen, yes, I think so.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:16 pm UTC

Is it just me, or is clay now everywhere, and hence no longer a rare resource...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:05 pm UTC

It is, and I don't think it was meant to be as rare as it was. As is, it's still .. difficult to build a giant brick house, but no longer effectively impossible.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:17 pm UTC

That's good. Having bricks be a rare item always seemed odd to me.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:20 pm UTC

I juet don't understand where the idea to turn them into clay balls, then make the balls into bricks and bricks into blocks, came from. Why not just harvest clay blocks and bake them into brick blocks?

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:40 pm UTC

Before the update, you could find a lot of clay just from exploring. That's true for most of the 'rare' items - it really just depends on what biomes you spawn near.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Whitelist Update

Postby blalobw » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:52 pm UTC

rhetorical wrote:Could I be whitelisted on Talon's server?
Username: rhetorical575

Thanks.

You are now on the whitelist.

Here is the current whitelist, in some sort of order:

Code: Select all

_infina_
137_036
786b6364
amishdmeon
antiorb
arata_daichi
blalobw
brachiocyborg
brianblox
cadiac
cazador0
chibbell
chrispkale
cjdrum
doctorug
dthen
esoanem
expotential
fouriuosman
ftswcaan
ganalef
gatchaman
gorbash84
groundlicker
heatherd
jahoclave
jestingrabbit
legopelle
logansch
magnanimous_xkcd
mcuser
meteorswarm
mieulium
mistermoses
monsterkort
mr_roosevelt
nbonaparte
neixs
niexs
nordahn
predator_freeman
rhetorical575
roberii
scallel
secondtalon
shootthechicken
skydivingyeti
stanley1996
surgicalsteel
swordbreaker
tgservers
thadexmachina
theamazingrando
thecommabandit
themonkey1000
tilt
ulharvutha
walkerm930
weirdscott
xanthir
zimm66

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:48 pm UTC

It's too bad that self-repairing houses got broken... That would be really useful against Endermen.

Levi

Postby Levi » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:56 pm UTC

There's still the problem of the mechanism itself. What's necessary is a self-repairing house-repairing mechanism.

New User

Postby New User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:39 pm UTC

Can I be whitelisted? I have played on ST's server before but not since the whitelist put in effect. My minecraft name is Freemond.

Kain

Postby Kain » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:36 pm UTC

Heh, just had a moment of awesome: I was exploring a set of ravine-intersected abandoned tunnels and managed to get lost with a lovely load of cocoa, lapis and etc. Eventually I realized that I must have fallen down a level or three, and figured that I would just go to the ravine to re-orient myself. Amusingly enough, my original base was right at the start of the ravine: I had never noticed (only realized this because I saw the half-controlled poison spider spawn that caused me to go a different direction in the first place (fighting upstream against poison spiders isnt fun).

Anyways, I now find that I have to take out two spider spawns in order to get back to base... the first one was easy enough, but the second one was giving me a lot of trouble (it was over empty air, and the current was obnoxious). I had just decided I would try to dig my way around it (no pickaxe left, though) when seemingly out of nowhere a creeper appeared. I panic, swing whatever I was currently equipped with, knock the creeper back, and boom. No more spider spawn :)

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:36 am UTC

has any one else in 1.8 finding spots that look like some one took tnt to it but you hadn't.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:40 am UTC

I've found NPC villages that look like some walls had been torn down or blown apart. I think some areas are supposed to look like people were there and things happened before you got there.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Xerillum

Postby Xerillum » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:44 am UTC

It could be endermen. I've found buildings that were sunken into the ground, though, so it could just be a world-gen thing.

Scallel
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Postby Scallel » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:58 am UTC

Anyone else absolutely love staring at the new vastness of oceans, the large lakes they were before, as the sun slowly rises? It's almost as tranquil in minecraft as it is in real life. Almost, in that I was ruined for me by looking down at the sun rising and accidentally attracting an enderman. Anyone else get absolutely terrified of those things?

So I'm betting bout a week maybe two for a 1.8 complient server? Or am I wrong?
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:04 am UTC

Amishdemon wrote:has any one else in 1.8 finding spots that look like some one took tnt to it but you hadn't.

I think it's just the generator. I've seen a lot more surface features than before.

I've even seen a village bisected by a ravine, as if a giant had come in and swung a sword straight through it.

@scallel it was actually the rivers and bays that made it for me. Also seeing giant mountains looming just over the horizon. It's extremely peaceful.

And yes, endermen are terrifying. It's almost as if they were built to trigger that "uh... hi... I'll be going now" response.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Kain

Postby Kain » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:32 am UTC

Steax wrote:
Amishdemon wrote:has any one else in 1.8 finding spots that look like some one took tnt to it but you hadn't.

I think it's just the generator. I've seen a lot more surface features than before.

I've even seen a village bisected by a ravine, as if a giant had come in and swung a sword straight through it.

@scallel it was actually the rivers and bays that made it for me. Also seeing giant mountains looming just over the horizon. It's extremely peaceful.

And yes, endermen are terrifying. It's almost as if they were built to trigger that "uh... hi... I'll be going now" response.

Did your village have the cobblestone flooring towers? Hillarious looking, right?
Also, endermen go down quick with a bow (helps that if you stare at them they don't move...)
With the bow change, skeletons scare me. Like, crazily so. Almost as much as poison spiders do.

@Scallel and Amishdemon: The mountains are indeed truly majestic, especially with the new moonlight.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:43 am UTC

Kain wrote:Heh, just had a moment of awesome:

Experiences like this are what make me really love Hard Mode.

I think the reason for the complicated brick-making process is because, assuming clay was as common as it ought to be, the process compensates for the product being a durable building material that you can gather and process with bare hands.

I'm not at 1.8 yet (well, one of my lesser computers is) and I learned something that interests me: I downloaded the Minecraft Donkey Kong in order to understand how the redstone wiring worked for the arrow dispensers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHMd5nVyrNk
...and, upon digging my way outside, saw poison spider lairs. Apparently, (maybe this is trivial) save files are largely backwards compatible.

Regarding making walls Enderman-resistant, Blal mentioned that the wiki advises putting vines on the wall; the Enderman take vine, and it just grows back.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:41 pm UTC

I REALLY love the new world-gen. I love huge biomes, the rivers (expecially the lakes with rivers that lead to the now-huge oceans). Also, the coastlines seem far smoother, now. I could run my server as a more-or-less vanilla server, but unfortunately my friends are all dead-set on /home and /back -- the latter basically making dying not matter, unless lava is involved.

Speaking of -- I'm looking for a good Protection Mod. Last time I ran a server, I had to mess around with a good 4 or 5 before I found a good one, and I can't remember it's name. The primary feature I'll need is Domains and Sub-Domains, for cities with plots of land. Anyone know of one?

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:07 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:I juet don't understand where the idea to turn them into clay balls, then make the balls into bricks and bricks into blocks, came from. Why not just harvest clay blocks and bake them into brick blocks?
There's a reason people make bricks the size they are, rather than a meter long. (Though that wouldn't really be true in a Minecraft universe.)
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:09 pm UTC

I have to admit that it was kind of funny when I discovered how much more common clay is now.

"Oh cool. Swamp biome. Oh man! There's some clay!"
*digdigdig*
"Oh man! There's some MORE clay! What luck!"
*digdigdig*
"There's another patch over there! And...there. And there. Wait a second."
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Return to “Gaming”