Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Re: Minecraft

Postby Steax » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:26 am UTC

Pro tip: destroy those wooden mineshaft frames and block the water/lava flows. I wonder how many mobs I've had to fight in close quarters because they hide behind those frikin pillars.

Also, the only real way to defend yourself at night now is with moats. Endermen can and will take apart any sort of walls or barriers you set up.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:33 am UTC

Just don't make eye contact and keep your walls well lit and you should be fine.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:39 am UTC

Or, be a badass!

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:47 am UTC

Inspired by Gatchaman, I made a larger hedge maze over at (151,534).
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:31 am UTC

I'm going to be away from my computer for the next week (well, I'll have my netbook, but it can't minecraft well). Can we postpone the nether journey to the new lands until after next week is over?
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:12 am UTC

Kain wrote:
Scallel wrote:So its officially out? And I have a functional keyboard with which to use my computer? And I cant connect to minecraft.net? I feel as if my karma score must be horribly low. Maybe I shouldn't have blown up most of the earth.
Anyone else not being able to log in?

I got forcibly disconnected about the time I decided to detonate a ravine full of TnT... something about exceeding allocated memory. Then, for a good hour or so, I couldn't even get onto the site. Maybe the traffic is a bit overwhelming at the moment?

And no, the amount of water in seed: Miami isn't excessive. Its all shallow, so its pretty clearly the flat banks...

I haven't been able to log in all day. I figure everyone excited for the update broke something/ crowded me out. (it does this weird flickery thing, then tells me "Login Failed"

Steax wrote:Also, the only real way to defend yourself at night now is with moats. Endermen can and will take apart any sort of walls or barriers you set up.
Aaugh. Do they spawn in any dark area like all the other mobs, or only at night?

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:25 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Just don't make eye contact and keep your walls well lit and you should be fine.

One night I was working rather close to a wall when suddenly I got swept away. 3 endermen had unplugged a section of my water-wall and they subsequently died in the torrent, as well as ruining some grass I was turning into a garden. Argh.

cephalopod9 wrote:
Steax wrote:Also, the only real way to defend yourself at night now is with moats. Endermen can and will take apart any sort of walls or barriers you set up.
Aaugh. Do they spawn in any dark area like all the other mobs, or only at night?

I think only at night, they're pretty big and I've never seen one underground.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:27 am UTC

Holy crap... 1.8 added a ton of stuff. I just spent a good hour reading the wiki.

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:12 am UTC

Steax wrote:
cephalopod9 wrote:
I think only at night, they're pretty big and I've never seen one underground.
They most definitely spawn underground and fighting other mobs whilst trying not to look at the Endermen is tricky.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:20 am UTC

... So they spawn underground? Okay, yet another reason to stay on peaceful.

STRONGHOLDS ARE EPIC! Libraries... lots of dungeons.. even spiral staircases and fountains.

I like the new stone brick block, I prefer them over smoothstone now for building. I'm a bit worried if destroying them can cause silverfish to spawn, though, those things are disgusting.

Also, I find this picture, off the mcwiki, hilarious.

Now everyone will want one of these!

Windowlicker

Postby Windowlicker » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:52 am UTC

Based on the Yogscast videos, they have trouble moving around in cramped spaces..

Anybody else changed the FOV? What're you all running on?

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:23 pm UTC

Steax wrote:... So they spawn underground? Okay, yet another reason to stay on peaceful.

STRONGHOLDS ARE EPIC! Libraries... lots of dungeons.. even spiral staircases and fountains.

I like the new stone brick block, I prefer them over smoothstone now for building. I'm a bit worried if destroying them can cause silverfish to spawn, though, those things are disgusting.

Also, I find this picture, off the mcwiki, hilarious.

Now everyone will want one of these!

That's a very nice creeper in a box you have there... ssssssssssss

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:41 pm UTC

And this is just what I needed to convince me to start my server back up.

It's my dream that someone makes a mod that lets you Teleport between servers (with various access and item restrictions). It's a bit silly -- you could just log out and log in, after all -- but I still think it'd be kinda cool. And screw it, silly semi-pointless things is what this game's all about.

mrmoses

Postby mrmoses » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:12 pm UTC

I have seen a few endermen, but they never teleported.

I'm pretty sure I picked up an ender pearl from the bottom of a well in a village. The village looked like it had been hit with a gravel land slide. Front doors and widows were blocked by piles of gravel. I expect thats a bug, but still pretty cool.

Jahoclave wrote:Also, I should ask that if you want to be hooked up to the nether rail and you're not gan's, monkey/spawn, Scallel's joint, the embassy tower/the airporttown thing, or that other mob spawner that you let me know.

Could my stadium be in that list? It's being built near 921,-800, across the desert east of Xkcdia (airporttown thing).

Enokh wrote:It's my dream that someone makes a mod that lets you Teleport between servers...

Transfering to another server would be awesome if it could happen when crossing a large ocean.

Levi

Postby Levi » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:42 pm UTC

Enokh wrote:And this is just what I needed to convince me to start my server back up.

It's my dream that someone makes a mod that lets you Teleport between servers (with various access and item restrictions). It's a bit silly -- you could just log out and log in, after all -- but I still think it'd be kinda cool. And screw it, silly semi-pointless things is what this game's all about.

I've seen plugins for bukkit that let you use nether portals to move between servers.

Kain

Postby Kain » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:41 pm UTC

Okay, so creative mode has given me way too many ways to crash the game (fly to about y = 500, for instance)...

Oh, is ST's server available if we are up to 1.8.1?
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:54 pm UTC

mrmoses wrote:I have seen a few endermen, but they never teleported.

I'm pretty sure I picked up an ender pearl from the bottom of a well in a village. The village looked like it had been hit with a gravel land slide. Front doors and widows were blocked by piles of gravel. I expect thats a bug, but still pretty cool.

Jahoclave wrote:Also, I should ask that if you want to be hooked up to the nether rail and you're not gan's, monkey/spawn, Scallel's joint, the embassy tower/the airporttown thing, or that other mob spawner that you let me know.

Could my stadium be in that list? It's being built near 921,-800, across the desert east of Xkcdia (airporttown thing).

Enokh wrote:It's my dream that someone makes a mod that lets you Teleport between servers...

Transfering to another server would be awesome if it could happen when crossing a large ocean.

I need the nether coords.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:56 pm UTC

Kain wrote:Okay, so creative mode has given me way too many ways to crash the game (fly to about y = 500, for instance)...

No. It's not 1.8 yet.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:35 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Kain wrote:Okay, so creative mode has given me way too many ways to crash the game (fly to about y = 500, for instance)...

No. It's not 1.8 yet.

Ah well. Guess I'll spend more time crashing my connection to the site/ doing homework

Oh, and since I don't think I've ever directly said it to you before: thanks for hosting the server!
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:42 am UTC

Was there water at the bottom of the well? It might have died in there.

I've seen them teleport several times, it happens when they're far away.

mrmoses

Postby mrmoses » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:23 am UTC

Steax wrote:

The well was full of water and at least 10 blocks deep. It also had a top on it that was only 2 blocks tall, so I don't think an endermen could fit.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:49 am UTC

Can anybody else connect to the server? My client sits at "Connecting..." forever.

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:03 am UTC

mrmoses wrote:
Steax wrote:

The well was full of water and at least 10 blocks deep. It also had a top on it that was only 2 blocks tall, so I don't think an endermen could fit.

Those wells really annoy me, given that you cant get out of them without either placing a block in the water and deal with the current annoyance, or break open the side of them, which seems excessive.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:07 am UTC

Maybe an enderman spawned around there, triggered the gravel collapse by picking one up, and suffocated/drowned.

I always feel bad whenever I damage stuff in strongholds/villages. This was someone's home! =(

Also, the dungeons in strongholds become rather creepy. There's also a tendancy for caves/mineshafts to intersect with giant strongholds. The results are a bit alarming.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:10 am UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:Can anybody else connect to the server? My client sits at "Connecting..." forever.

I just connected fine.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

mrmoses

Postby mrmoses » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:22 am UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:
Meteorswarm wrote:Can anybody else connect to the server? My client sits at "Connecting..." forever.

I just connected fine.

I can't connect either. I get "Connection Lost End of Steam" almost instantly.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:33 am UTC

Ah, my problem was that I had omitted the "1" from the beginning of the IP address.
Now I get "Outdated server" D:

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:34 am UTC

You updated, didn't you?

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:15 am UTC

It was just too good of an offer. Its not you, its us... we just really really wanted to be chased by endermen, and to have lava actually light stuff on fire.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:51 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:You updated, didn't you?

I... no, I... well, certainly, I didn't...

Yes.

FWIW, it still works fine with my old client (I had a spoutcraft file lying around)

mrmoses

Postby mrmoses » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:10 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:You updated, didn't you?

I updated from within the client and also tried re-downloading the client.

If I try Direct Connection it says "Disconnected by Server Outdated server!". If I add the server, on the server list it says "Communication error" and whey I try to join it says "Connection Lost End of stream".

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:45 pm UTC

...right. That'd be why it's not working, because I know my server isn't updated. Unsure on the status of Psion's server, but it's probably not updated as well.

Look, I like Minecraft. A lot. But I'm not running their initial release of a server jar, because their history has shown they always patch it anyway in a few days to fix the crap they missed.

mrmoses

Postby mrmoses » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:34 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:...right. That'd be why it's not working, because I know my server isn't updated. Unsure on the status of Psion's server, but it's probably not updated as well.

Look, I like Minecraft. A lot. But I'm not running their initial release of a server jar, because their history has shown they always patch it anyway in a few days to fix the crap they missed.

No problem, my mistake. I thought the server was updated. I were confused :?

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:38 pm UTC

Played SMP for the first time in ages -- I forgot little things like "start off planning how to not die". Then the sun set. And I guess they turned up the spawn rate, because oh god.

And it looks like Endermen will cause all of my structures to be surrounded by water-based barriers.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:04 pm UTC

mrmoses wrote:No problem, my mistake. I thought the server was updated. I were confused :?

Yeah, I wasn't disappointed, just puzzled until I figured out what was going on.

Levi

Postby Levi » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:10 pm UTC

Do the endermen pick up blocks at random, or do they have to be looked at first?

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:57 am UTC

Levi wrote:Do the endermen pick up blocks at random, or do they have to be looked at first?
I've come across a lot of trees with missing parts of their trunks. I think the Endermen will move stuff around if you're not looking.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:28 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
Levi wrote:Do the endermen pick up blocks at random, or do they have to be looked at first?
I've come across a lot of trees with missing parts of their trunks. I think the Endermen will move stuff around if you're not looking.

Wow, great. I'm sure the game is much more fun now...
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:30 pm UTC

Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:36 pm UTC

Pro tip: don't join untrusty servers.

Re:Enderman movin blocks. Considering that I've yet to see Endy in the official 1.8, it's not that big of a deal. Just keep your stuff well lit. Endy hates light.

Return to “Gaming”