Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Steax » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:26 am UTC

Pro tip: destroy those wooden mineshaft frames and block the water/lava flows. I wonder how many mobs I've had to fight in close quarters because they hide behind those frikin pillars.

Also, the only real way to defend yourself at night now is with moats. Endermen can and will take apart any sort of walls or barriers you set up.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26196
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Minecraft

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:33 am UTC

Just don't make eye contact and keep your walls well lit and you should be fine.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Minecraft

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:39 am UTC

Or, be a badass!

User avatar
e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:41 am UTC
Location: Lancaster

Re: Minecraft

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:47 am UTC

Inspired by Gatchaman, I made a larger hedge maze over at (151,534).
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

User avatar
Meteorswarm
Posts: 979
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:28 am UTC
Location: Ithaca, NY

Re: Minecraft

Postby Meteorswarm » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:31 am UTC

I'm going to be away from my computer for the next week (well, I'll have my netbook, but it can't minecraft well). Can we postpone the nether journey to the new lands until after next week is over?
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

User avatar
cephalopod9
Posts: 2004
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:23 am UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:12 am UTC

Kain wrote:
Scallel wrote:So its officially out? And I have a functional keyboard with which to use my computer? And I cant connect to minecraft.net? I feel as if my karma score must be horribly low. Maybe I shouldn't have blown up most of the earth.
Anyone else not being able to log in?


I got forcibly disconnected about the time I decided to detonate a ravine full of TnT... something about exceeding allocated memory. Then, for a good hour or so, I couldn't even get onto the site. Maybe the traffic is a bit overwhelming at the moment?

And no, the amount of water in seed: Miami isn't excessive. Its all shallow, so its pretty clearly the flat banks...

I haven't been able to log in all day. I figure everyone excited for the update broke something/ crowded me out. (it does this weird flickery thing, then tells me "Login Failed"

Steax wrote:Also, the only real way to defend yourself at night now is with moats. Endermen can and will take apart any sort of walls or barriers you set up.
Aaugh. Do they spawn in any dark area like all the other mobs, or only at night?
Image

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Steax » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:25 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Just don't make eye contact and keep your walls well lit and you should be fine.


One night I was working rather close to a wall when suddenly I got swept away. 3 endermen had unplugged a section of my water-wall and they subsequently died in the torrent, as well as ruining some grass I was turning into a garden. Argh.

cephalopod9 wrote:
Steax wrote:Also, the only real way to defend yourself at night now is with moats. Endermen can and will take apart any sort of walls or barriers you set up.
Aaugh. Do they spawn in any dark area like all the other mobs, or only at night?


I think only at night, they're pretty big and I've never seen one underground.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3486
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Minecraft

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:27 am UTC

Holy crap... 1.8 added a ton of stuff. I just spent a good hour reading the wiki.

User avatar
SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good
Posts: 990
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:07 am UTC
Location: Liverpool, England
Contact:

Re: Minecraft

Postby SoapyHobo » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:12 am UTC

Steax wrote:
cephalopod9 wrote:
Steax wrote:Also, the only real way to defend yourself at night now is with moats. Endermen can and will take apart any sort of walls or barriers you set up.
Aaugh. Do they spawn in any dark area like all the other mobs, or only at night?
I think only at night, they're pretty big and I've never seen one underground.
They most definitely spawn underground and fighting other mobs whilst trying not to look at the Endermen is tricky.
Image
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Steax » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:20 am UTC

... So they spawn underground? Okay, yet another reason to stay on peaceful.

STRONGHOLDS ARE EPIC! Libraries... lots of dungeons.. even spiral staircases and fountains.

I like the new stone brick block, I prefer them over smoothstone now for building. I'm a bit worried if destroying them can cause silverfish to spawn, though, those things are disgusting.

Also, I find this picture, off the mcwiki, hilarious.

Image

Now everyone will want one of these!
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Windowlicker
Posts: 323
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:57 pm UTC
Location: St Andrews, Scotland

Re: Minecraft

Postby Windowlicker » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:52 am UTC

Based on the Yogscast videos, they have trouble moving around in cramped spaces..

Anybody else changed the FOV? What're you all running on?

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Minecraft

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:23 pm UTC

Steax wrote:... So they spawn underground? Okay, yet another reason to stay on peaceful.

STRONGHOLDS ARE EPIC! Libraries... lots of dungeons.. even spiral staircases and fountains.

I like the new stone brick block, I prefer them over smoothstone now for building. I'm a bit worried if destroying them can cause silverfish to spawn, though, those things are disgusting.

Also, I find this picture, off the mcwiki, hilarious.

Image

Now everyone will want one of these!

That's a very nice creeper in a box you have there... ssssssssssss

Enokh
Posts: 473
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:55 pm UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Enokh » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:41 pm UTC

And this is just what I needed to convince me to start my server back up.

It's my dream that someone makes a mod that lets you Teleport between servers (with various access and item restrictions). It's a bit silly -- you could just log out and log in, after all -- but I still think it'd be kinda cool. And screw it, silly semi-pointless things is what this game's all about.

mrmoses
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:13 pm UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby mrmoses » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:12 pm UTC

I have seen a few endermen, but they never teleported.

I'm pretty sure I picked up an ender pearl from the bottom of a well in a village. The village looked like it had been hit with a gravel land slide. Front doors and widows were blocked by piles of gravel. I expect thats a bug, but still pretty cool.

Jahoclave wrote:Also, I should ask that if you want to be hooked up to the nether rail and you're not gan's, monkey/spawn, Scallel's joint, the embassy tower/the airporttown thing, or that other mob spawner that you let me know.

Could my stadium be in that list? It's being built near 921,-800, across the desert east of Xkcdia (airporttown thing).

Enokh wrote:It's my dream that someone makes a mod that lets you Teleport between servers...

Transfering to another server would be awesome if it could happen when crossing a large ocean.

User avatar
Levi
Posts: 1294
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:12 am UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Levi » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:42 pm UTC

Enokh wrote:And this is just what I needed to convince me to start my server back up.

It's my dream that someone makes a mod that lets you Teleport between servers (with various access and item restrictions). It's a bit silly -- you could just log out and log in, after all -- but I still think it'd be kinda cool. And screw it, silly semi-pointless things is what this game's all about.

I've seen plugins for bukkit that let you use nether portals to move between servers.

Kain
Posts: 1140
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:29 am UTC
Location: At the center of the observable universe.

Re: Minecraft

Postby Kain » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:41 pm UTC

Okay, so creative mode has given me way too many ways to crash the game (fly to about y = 500, for instance)...

Oh, is ST's server available if we are up to 1.8.1?
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Minecraft

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:54 pm UTC

mrmoses wrote:I have seen a few endermen, but they never teleported.

I'm pretty sure I picked up an ender pearl from the bottom of a well in a village. The village looked like it had been hit with a gravel land slide. Front doors and widows were blocked by piles of gravel. I expect thats a bug, but still pretty cool.

Jahoclave wrote:Also, I should ask that if you want to be hooked up to the nether rail and you're not gan's, monkey/spawn, Scallel's joint, the embassy tower/the airporttown thing, or that other mob spawner that you let me know.

Could my stadium be in that list? It's being built near 921,-800, across the desert east of Xkcdia (airporttown thing).

Enokh wrote:It's my dream that someone makes a mod that lets you Teleport between servers...

Transfering to another server would be awesome if it could happen when crossing a large ocean.

I need the nether coords.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26196
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Minecraft

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:56 pm UTC

Kain wrote:Okay, so creative mode has given me way too many ways to crash the game (fly to about y = 500, for instance)...

Oh, is ST's server available if we are up to 1.8.1?
No. It's not 1.8 yet.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Kain
Posts: 1140
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:29 am UTC
Location: At the center of the observable universe.

Re: Minecraft

Postby Kain » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:35 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Kain wrote:Okay, so creative mode has given me way too many ways to crash the game (fly to about y = 500, for instance)...

Oh, is ST's server available if we are up to 1.8.1?
No. It's not 1.8 yet.


Ah well. Guess I'll spend more time crashing my connection to the site/ doing homework

Oh, and since I don't think I've ever directly said it to you before: thanks for hosting the server!
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Steax » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:42 am UTC

mrmoses wrote:I have seen a few endermen, but they never teleported.

I'm pretty sure I picked up an ender pearl from the bottom of a well in a village. The village looked like it had been hit with a gravel land slide. Front doors and widows were blocked by piles of gravel. I expect thats a bug, but still pretty cool.

Was there water at the bottom of the well? It might have died in there.

I've seen them teleport several times, it happens when they're far away.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

mrmoses
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:13 pm UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby mrmoses » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:23 am UTC

Steax wrote:
mrmoses wrote:I have seen a few endermen, but they never teleported.

I'm pretty sure I picked up an ender pearl from the bottom of a well in a village. The village looked like it had been hit with a gravel land slide. Front doors and widows were blocked by piles of gravel. I expect thats a bug, but still pretty cool.

Was there water at the bottom of the well? It might have died in there.

I've seen them teleport several times, it happens when they're far away.


The well was full of water and at least 10 blocks deep. It also had a top on it that was only 2 blocks tall, so I don't think an endermen could fit.

User avatar
Meteorswarm
Posts: 979
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:28 am UTC
Location: Ithaca, NY

Re: Minecraft

Postby Meteorswarm » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:49 am UTC

Can anybody else connect to the server? My client sits at "Connecting..." forever.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

Kain
Posts: 1140
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:29 am UTC
Location: At the center of the observable universe.

Re: Minecraft

Postby Kain » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:03 am UTC

mrmoses wrote:
Steax wrote:
mrmoses wrote:I have seen a few endermen, but they never teleported.

I'm pretty sure I picked up an ender pearl from the bottom of a well in a village. The village looked like it had been hit with a gravel land slide. Front doors and widows were blocked by piles of gravel. I expect thats a bug, but still pretty cool.

Was there water at the bottom of the well? It might have died in there.

I've seen them teleport several times, it happens when they're far away.


The well was full of water and at least 10 blocks deep. It also had a top on it that was only 2 blocks tall, so I don't think an endermen could fit.


Those wells really annoy me, given that you cant get out of them without either placing a block in the water and deal with the current annoyance, or break open the side of them, which seems excessive.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Steax » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:07 am UTC

Maybe an enderman spawned around there, triggered the gravel collapse by picking one up, and suffocated/drowned.

I always feel bad whenever I damage stuff in strongholds/villages. This was someone's home! =(

Also, the dungeons in strongholds become rather creepy. There's also a tendancy for caves/mineshafts to intersect with giant strongholds. The results are a bit alarming.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

User avatar
e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:41 am UTC
Location: Lancaster

Re: Minecraft

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:10 am UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:Can anybody else connect to the server? My client sits at "Connecting..." forever.

I just connected fine.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

mrmoses
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:13 pm UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby mrmoses » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:22 am UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:
Meteorswarm wrote:Can anybody else connect to the server? My client sits at "Connecting..." forever.

I just connected fine.


I can't connect either. I get "Connection Lost End of Steam" almost instantly.

User avatar
Meteorswarm
Posts: 979
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:28 am UTC
Location: Ithaca, NY

Re: Minecraft

Postby Meteorswarm » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:33 am UTC

Ah, my problem was that I had omitted the "1" from the beginning of the IP address.
Now I get "Outdated server" D:
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26196
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Minecraft

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:34 am UTC

You updated, didn't you?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Kain
Posts: 1140
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:29 am UTC
Location: At the center of the observable universe.

Re: Minecraft

Postby Kain » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:15 am UTC

It was just too good of an offer. Its not you, its us... we just really really wanted to be chased by endermen, and to have lava actually light stuff on fire.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

User avatar
Meteorswarm
Posts: 979
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:28 am UTC
Location: Ithaca, NY

Re: Minecraft

Postby Meteorswarm » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:51 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:You updated, didn't you?


I... no, I... well, certainly, I didn't...

Yes.

FWIW, it still works fine with my old client (I had a spoutcraft file lying around)
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

mrmoses
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:13 pm UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby mrmoses » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:10 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:You updated, didn't you?

I updated from within the client and also tried re-downloading the client.

If I try Direct Connection it says "Disconnected by Server Outdated server!". If I add the server, on the server list it says "Communication error" and whey I try to join it says "Connection Lost End of stream".

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26196
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Minecraft

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:45 pm UTC

...right. That'd be why it's not working, because I know my server isn't updated. Unsure on the status of Psion's server, but it's probably not updated as well.

Look, I like Minecraft. A lot. But I'm not running their initial release of a server jar, because their history has shown they always patch it anyway in a few days to fix the crap they missed.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

mrmoses
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:13 pm UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby mrmoses » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:34 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:...right. That'd be why it's not working, because I know my server isn't updated. Unsure on the status of Psion's server, but it's probably not updated as well.

Look, I like Minecraft. A lot. But I'm not running their initial release of a server jar, because their history has shown they always patch it anyway in a few days to fix the crap they missed.

No problem, my mistake. I thought the server was updated. I were confused :?

Enokh
Posts: 473
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:55 pm UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Enokh » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:38 pm UTC

Played SMP for the first time in ages -- I forgot little things like "start off planning how to not die". Then the sun set. And I guess they turned up the spawn rate, because oh god.

And it looks like Endermen will cause all of my structures to be surrounded by water-based barriers.

User avatar
Meteorswarm
Posts: 979
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:28 am UTC
Location: Ithaca, NY

Re: Minecraft

Postby Meteorswarm » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:04 pm UTC

mrmoses wrote:No problem, my mistake. I thought the server was updated. I were confused :?


Yeah, I wasn't disappointed, just puzzled until I figured out what was going on.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

User avatar
Levi
Posts: 1294
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:12 am UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Levi » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:10 pm UTC

Do the endermen pick up blocks at random, or do they have to be looked at first?

User avatar
Vaniver
Posts: 9422
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:12 am UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Vaniver » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:57 am UTC

Levi wrote:Do the endermen pick up blocks at random, or do they have to be looked at first?
I've come across a lot of trees with missing parts of their trunks. I think the Endermen will move stuff around if you're not looking.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

User avatar
SirBryghtside
Posts: 909
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:42 pm UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:28 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
Levi wrote:Do the endermen pick up blocks at random, or do they have to be looked at first?
I've come across a lot of trees with missing parts of their trunks. I think the Endermen will move stuff around if you're not looking.

Wow, great. I'm sure the game is much more fun now...
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

User avatar
_infina_
Posts: 391
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:55 pm UTC
Location: R'lyeh

Re: Minecraft

Postby _infina_ » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:30 pm UTC

Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26196
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Minecraft

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:36 pm UTC

Pro tip: don't join untrusty servers.

Re:Enderman movin blocks. Considering that I've yet to see Endy in the official 1.8, it's not that big of a deal. Just keep your stuff well lit. Endy hates light.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests