Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Re: Minecraft

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:39 pm UTC

Kain wrote:On the topic of the game (or rather ST's server): I went by the comunarium (sp?) to drop off some stuff I had found in my first dungeon (already have when pigs fly, so didnt need the saddle, etc), only to find that apparently it had a fire.

Also, apparently you shouldn't start chatting to find out what everyone knows when standing next to several chests... creeper found his way in and detonated next to me before I could respond. (I fixed it as best I could, but there is now no organization in about three chests.

Oh yeah... We're reorganizing the whole thing because going into different buildings for supplies is annoying. So the fire was intentional. :P

Kain

Postby Kain » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:41 pm UTC

Okay, fair enough. Sorry bout the setback to organization then...
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:20 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:If nothing else, I agree with Author that the code is horrible. No one else - not even Obsidian - could create a game that crashed as much as it did for me in the last couple of hours.

I agree that Minecraft's code is terrible. It literally never runs for me. And before anyone tries to start shifting blame from where it truly belongs—on the code—there's no way it's my fault or my system's fault, because I haven't even installed Minecraft. So obviously the problem is notch's shitty code. I'm gonna take a MATLAB course soon and then I'll make a better game than Minecraft.

In other news, to the user who just happened to be passing by when suddenly King Author came by with another load of bullshit: My sympathies. Please do pass by again.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:27 pm UTC

...I'm not entirely sure what the point in that post was.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:32 pm UTC

I think it was "lol kingauthor"
Ⓞⓞ◯

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:36 pm UTC

I wondered what post you were talking about, but then I realized I have him foed.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:46 pm UTC

To be fair, King Author didn't interrupt this thread. He made another one and it got merged.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:52 pm UTC

No, he didn't. Not as far as I can tell. I did not merge it nor do I see a merge in the mod logs. He.. actually did the correct thing. I'm rather impressed.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:08 am UTC

So he changed the title of his post from "Re: Minecraft" to "Let's talk about Minecraft"... just in case it wasn't clear enough that his post was going to be talking about Minecraft?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

Windowlicker

Postby Windowlicker » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:11 am UTC

It's.. the sort of thing he'd do.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:33 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:
SirBryghtside wrote:If nothing else, I agree with Author that the code is horrible. No one else - not even Obsidian - could create a game that crashed as much as it did for me in the last couple of hours.

I agree that Minecraft's code is terrible. It literally never runs for me. And before anyone tries to start shifting blame from where it truly belongs—on the code—there's no way it's my fault or my system's fault, because I haven't even installed Minecraft. So obviously the problem is notch's shitty code. I'm gonna take a MATLAB course soon and then I'll make a better game than Minecraft.

In other news, to the user who just happened to be passing by when suddenly King Author came by with another load of bullshit: My sympathies. Please do pass by again.

Oh yeah, I'm going to use my Masters in English to write a choose your own adventure version of Minecraft that will be totally more awesome than anything, and my code will be fantastic.

I mean, there are some legitimate criticisms to be had and I can't say I've been impressed with some of the recent updates, but Jesus.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:38 am UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:...I'm not entirely sure what the point in that post was.

"Notch is a shitty programmer because Minecraft is unstable on my system" is a sentiment that deserves to be ridiculed nearly as much as "Notch is a shitty programmer because Minecraft is based on Infiniminer," or "Notch is a shitty programmer because he codes in Java." So yeah, I was poking fun at you as well.

For all I know, you may have actually looked at his code, unlike 90% of the people on any of the aforementioned bandwagons; you may have written some wonderfully elegant Minecraft mods of your own; you may even have an extensive background in programming and/or game development. But if that were the case, I doubt you'd have expressed your frustration in quite so silly a manner.

In other news, apparently someone I have absolutely no recollection of ever having interacted with dislikes me enough to mention having foed me in a thread where he can be confident I'll read it? Intriguing. I wonder if he'll view this post to see how I react. Maybe I should make a show of being irked. Harbingers! Philately! Usufructuary! Hmm.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Feylias

Re: Moar talk about Minecraft and Notch and desserts.

Postby Feylias » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:56 am UTC

EDIT: And OH MY GOD I WAS WRONG! Mobs are spawning ALL OVER the rails! My hypothesis that they couldn't spawn on rails, which I tested with big dark rooms that had floors entirely covered by rails, was conclusively disproven. :( Torches are needed, alas.

Edit: Pointless room-taking-up drivel removed.
Last edited by Feylias on Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:32 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:03 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:
SirBryghtside wrote:...I'm not entirely sure what the point in that post was.

"Notch is a shitty programmer because Minecraft is unstable on my system" is a sentiment that deserves to be ridiculed nearly as much as "Notch is a shitty programmer because Minecraft is based on Infiniminer," or "Notch is a shitty programmer because he codes in Java." So yeah, I was poking fun at you as well.

For all I know, you may have actually looked at his code, unlike 90% of the people on any of the aforementioned bandwagons; you may have written some wonderfully elegant Minecraft mods of your own; you may even have an extensive background in programming and/or game development. But if that were the case, I doubt you'd have expressed your frustration in quite so silly a manner.

I would write a massive, ragey rebuttal to this, but the thing is I totally agree with you :P

I made a stupid post. You're right. I guess I was just a little annoyed after having it crash that often... no other games do that on my system, but I guess comments like that are just digging me a deeper hole. Although I disagree with the whole 'you can't hate it if you couldn't do any better' attitude - I doubt I could have made a better storyline than Other M's, doesn't mean I can't say it's completely awful.
In other news, apparently someone I have absolutely no recollection of ever having interacted with dislikes me enough to mention having foed me in a thread where he can be confident I'll read it? Intriguing. I wonder if he'll view this post to see how I react. Maybe I should make a show of being irked. Harbingers! Philately! Usufructuary! Hmm.

He probably thought I was referring to KA.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:42 am UTC

I've only had Minecraft crash, like... twice. That's my client personally, though; I can't say the same about servers. :roll:

From my perspective it seems like Mojang focused more on making an accessible/popular game than a great game, for which I can hardly blame them. It's pretty much the Tetris Friends philosophy of game design: You could spend your time making a good game better, but 99.9% of people are already happy so you choose to focus on expanding your userbase.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:45 am UTC

Currently, if I play minecraft for longer than 5 minutes (that is - right about when you start getting interested in the game and are beyond the "Just loaded up.. where was I?" moment) it crashes.

I'm relatively certain it's on my end, but I've uninstalled and reinstalled Java multiple times and have patched it up to the most recent version of Java, as well as trying just a few of the older but recent builds, and still no luck. So I'm kinda... in a holding pattern.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:39 am UTC

Maybe it's something to do with the amount of memory the world takes up - mine's on over 30 MB. Or is it 50?

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:51 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Currently, if I play minecraft for longer than 5 minutes (that is - right about when you start getting interested in the game and are beyond the "Just loaded up.. where was I?" moment) it crashes.

I'm relatively certain it's on my end, but I've uninstalled and reinstalled Java multiple times and have patched it up to the most recent version of Java, as well as trying just a few of the older but recent builds, and still no luck. So I'm kinda... in a holding pattern.

Yeah, I just have hope that at some point they decide to go through and optimize the code after they get done adding things in, which seems like a reasonable thing to do. If you're doing a lot of that while still adding things I just imagine it'd be less effective.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:10 am UTC

Hey, know what crashes more than Minecraft?

STEAM.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:50 am UTC

Nothing wrong with being pissed at a game not working. I had to give up on PS:T entirely because of unrecoverable crashes and corrupted saves. Guess that's what I get for not playing it ten years earlier, though.

I never had issues with Minecraft crashing, but I also never played SMP, which going on hearsay alone seems less stable. Though that could just be due to the added factors of server and connection stability.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:14 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Nothing wrong with being pissed at a game not working.

Yeah, that's why I'm pissed at Steam.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:19 am UTC

You wake up on a sandy beach slightly after dawn. Your eyes drift across an endless ocean. Turning around you see a sparse treeline near the end of the beach.

A. Head towards the treeline.
B. Sit down, do nothing, and lament whatever the hell happened to make you wake up on an abandon beach, which may or may not be because your friends are total assholes.

B: You sit down and cry like the complete wimp you are. Night falls and from behind you hear, in a voice similar to the snake in that really bad Garden of Eden animation they showed you at Sunday school, "That's a very nice nothing you have there. . .sssssssssss." You are promptly exploded to death. Sucks to be you.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:52 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Oh yeah... We're reorganizing the whole thing because going into different buildings for supplies is annoying. So the fire was intentional. :P

Done-ish. I added another sand gate (with two levers! XOR gates are cool) and got pretty far in setting up the chests.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:57 am UTC

The candy store, of course, is long dead. It was neat, but I was relieved.
...and I'm simultaneously disappointed and glad that I didn't think of THIS back when it was possible:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbFYE0Njcfo
It's a candy store that automatically harvested the blocks it duplicates by duplicating a block of TNT and activating/dropping it near a sheet of extended other blocks.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:15 am UTC

Feylias wrote:The candy store, of course, is long dead. It was neat, but I was relieved.
...and I'm simultaneously disappointed and glad that I didn't think of THIS back when it was possible:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbFYE0Njcfo
It's a candy store that automatically harvested the blocks it duplicates by duplicating a block of TNT and activating/dropping it near a sheet of extended other blocks.

We couldn't have actually done that on the server anyways. Well, we could, if we wanted to be extremely diligent. The lag would have destroyed the server otherwise. I mean, just the incident with the sand was a pain.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:00 am UTC

Feylias wrote:I suggest that, if you give him a single-player world with it, make the seed his name or his handle. It's always neat to know what the word is that generates a world.
Oh definitely. Part of the idea was also to pre-explore a map he could recreate and start over fresh. And the world I got putting his name in is pretty awesome.
seed.png
seed.png (807 Bytes) Viewed 4153 times

I found 2! spawners right on the surface, so even though I'm not good at making traps, I got him set up with infinite feathers and bones.
Okita wrote:Well, setting up a whole bunch of stored resources sounds like a good way to start.
It's a little hard to know which resources to save and which to build into new things. Like sand has a lot of uses that make cool things, but you can't get more of it without generating more land. Not to mention, emptied out quarries kinda take away from the fun for me.
The other hard part is organizing things in a way that makes sense and not according to my bizarre brain patterns.

He's also not really a noob, but we are rivals.

I'm kind of running out of time on this, so it probably won't be all that impressive. I should still be able to get some farms, some redstone, and a small palace set up.
And of course, cakes. Might build a cake out of cakes.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:17 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:I wondered what post you were talking about, but then I realized I have him foed.

I get that sometimes. :(
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

King Author

Postby King Author » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:16 pm UTC

SecondTaIon wrote:Here - What happened to Infiniminer - last few questions of the interview.

RPS: Could you talk a little about what inspired you to design Infiniminer?

ZB: Infiniminer is a combination of Infinifrag, Team Fortress 2, and Motherload. I wanted to make a competitive mining game, and this was it.
RPS: What led to the decision that you were finished with Infiniminer, and that you wanted to return to your trademark puzzle games?

ZB: I stopped working on Infiniminer when the source code was leaked. It was totally my fault, as that’s what I get for releasing an un-obfuscated .NET assembly, but it nevertheless enabled hackers to create hacked clients and players upset with my balancing decisions to fork and write their own clients and servers. In the months after the leak, I thought a lot about how and why I made games in the past. It became obvious to me that if I wanted to make better games and reach more people, I needed to step it up. I assembled an awesome team, cranked up the polish, and made a game that happened to be SpaceChem.
RPS: I’d imagine that creating the precursor to the million-selling MineCraft would raise conflicting emotions. Do you ever lie awake at night, howling into your pillow?
ZB: The act of borrowing ideas is integral to the creative process. There are games that came before Infiniminer, and there are games that will come after MineCraft. That’s how it works.
RPS: Are you one of the many, many gamers who doesn’t see the entertainment value in simply building and landscaping this blocky world for the sake of it?

ZB: Hell no; I think it’s terrific. That’s why I made a game about it!
RPS: Thanks for your time.

There you go. Anyone could have made Infiniminer by just mashing Motherload and a FPS together.

I've gotten rusty. I can't tell when someone is being purposefully glib, or just doesn't realize what they're saying. Presumably, the ZB guy was talking about what games inspired him to make Infiniminer. Presumably, he didn't use TF or Motherload's code.

What ZB presumably did (I could be wrong, the wording is vague) is say, "I wanna make a game that's like a combo of TF and Motherload." So then he did.

What Notch did was to take an existing game and twerk it a bit, then call it his, slap a price tag on it and make millions. It's as someone had coded everything in Super Mario Bros. except breakable blocks and powerups, then released the source code. He picked it up, added breakable blocks and powerups, and called it his own.

I just find dishonesty, in all its forms, distasteful. Weird, I know. It's like, Dan Brown. I don't think he's a hack because he has absolutely no talent as a writer. Most writers have no talent - talent isn't what the writing business is about, it's about marketability. But he presents his works as historically accurate and well-researched when they've been proven time and time again not so.

Notch should be coyly saying, "Shucks, I don't deserve all this praise and attention. I'm glad everyone likes the game, but I barely did anything." Cockiness is only attractive when it's deserved. When it's intolerable.

("Lolol KA, that applies to you."
Clever. Dja think that one up all by yourself?)

And that Notch thing is pretty cool.

Its inefficiency is the worst, though. I can accept the crashes -- it is an indie game with a very small dev team, after all. What I can't accept is how atrociously inefficient it is. With the ultra-low rez graphics and almost complete lack of physics (sand and gravel drop down when you knock blocks out from under them...that's about it), Minecraft could be running smoothly on a computer from 1995. Fact is, however, because of Notch's poor coding practices, even high-end machines experience lag and slow startups. There's absolutely no excuse for that.

SecondTalon wrote:No, he didn't. Not as far as I can tell. I did not merge it nor do I see a merge in the mod logs. He.. actually did the correct thing. I'm rather impressed.

What I wanted to say could easily fit into this existing Minecraft topic. Unlike all my topics you've merged, which shouldn't have been merged because they were singular and unique enough from the topic you merged them into to justify - like the cheese - standing alone.

Magnanimous wrote:I've only had Minecraft crash, like... twice. That's my client personally, though; I can't say the same about servers. :roll:

From my perspective it seems like Mojang focused more on making an accessible/popular game than a great game, for which I can hardly blame them. It's pretty much the Tetris Friends philosophy of game design: You could spend your time making a good game better, but 99.9% of people are already happy so you choose to focus on expanding your userbase.

I disagree. I think he did make a great game. It's not that the game isn't great, it's that there should be a baseball-style asterisk next to "he made." The core of Minecraft is someone else's work, and that fact is swept under the rug. Pretty much nobody knows or talks about the fact that Notch and his fellows at Mojang are multi-millionaires off of what's mostly someone else's work. And indeed, even at Mojang, Notch does barely any of the work. Mostly it's everyone else -- Jeb, Junkboy, etc.

And again, I always wanna be clear -- this is totally kosher. Using open-source code, modifying it to make something of your own and selling it is perfectly legitimate. My problem is that if I were Notch, I would be deflecting and deferring any and all compliments, praise and awards I got with "ahh, I didn't do as much as people think, I'm not even that great a programmer. And my team at Mojang, they're so great." Instead, Notch accepts all the undeserved praise that comes his way.

And I'm still serious. Someone needs to make a free, open-source Minecraft clone. It'd be piddlingly easy for anyone who's a decent programmer -- most of the work is already done. Seriously! Just go over to Google Code, download the Infiniminer source, and start building. Hell, if you want, if you're dedicated to the project, I'll even take the code and convert it to another programming language for you. Because Java is...yeah. We all know what Java is.

No, seriously seriously. Why is no one taking me seriously? You can make a Minecraft clone. Right now. And it's perfectly legal, no one can stop you. It might not even take you the full weekend, most of the code is already there. All you gotta do is add mobs (easy), add a GUI (pretty much easy), code in the basic tools (moderate) and alter the way ore blocks and such work (the hardest of them all, but still pretty easy). It's unfathomable that after all the success of Minecraft and the fact that most of the core code is open-source and not affiliated with Mojang, no one has come out with a free Minecraft clone. Utterly unfathomable. You could even charge money and make millions!

Millions of dollars! Yours! Just make a Minecraft clone and do a better coding job than Notch.

The world's insane. I'm the only bastion of sanity in a roiling sea of insanity.

Oh. Nevermind. I'm not the only bastion. It looked that way, but the other chunk just hadn't loaded yet. There it is.

Hah! And they even converted it to C. That's awesome. Hell, they might not have even used Infiniminer's source. I'm totally joining their dev team if I can. I was working on Minecraft mods (simple stuff -- dyeable armor, un-dyeable everything, magic chests, mob fences) but why do work for someone else's money-costing game and not see a cent when I can work on an open-source version (and not see a cent :p), and it's in C instead of Java? Swiz-eet.
I have signitures disabled. If you do, too...you can't read this, so nevermind >_>

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:30 pm UTC

King Author wrote:I've gotten rusty. I can't tell when someone is being purposefully glib, or just doesn't realize what they're saying. Presumably, the ZB guy was talking about what games inspired him to make Infiniminer. Presumably, he didn't use TF or Motherload's code.
Source?

This makes no mention of it, only that he reused old code of his own.

Googling variations of "Minecraft uses Infiniminer source code" reveals... a shitload of posts of random people insisting that it doesn't use it's source code, lots of posts calling Minecraft an Infiniminer ripoff with no mention of if the source code was used, and ... that's it. I've yet to find anything saying "Minecraft used Infiniminer's source code", much less some sort of proof.

(Of course, how translatable is C# to Java? I am not a programmer, I am bad at these things.)

Or... strike all that. Give item one on this list a good, hard read and then cite your source(s) or drop it.

There are tons of legitimate complaints you can have about Minecraft and about the coding output of Mojang. Tons. Stolen code, from everything I can see, is not one of them. Which means you're just being a dick.

Windowlicker

Postby Windowlicker » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:00 pm UTC

I'm not liking all of this anecdotal evidence. The ONLY time I've had minecraft crash is when I tried to set off 2000 TNT at the same time, and that was really my own fault. I've also never had Steam crash.
I'm also using a vaguely high-end computer from a couple of years ago, and get neither lag nor long start-up times.

I'm not sure if I want to go to the effort to compare the source code from Infiminer and Minecraft or if I'll just dismiss this as more KA troll bullshit and move on with my life.

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:14 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:(Of course, how translatable is C# to Java? I am not a programmer, I am bad at these things.)

I've never used C# personally, but I would imagine that it would be kind of like trying to turn a horse into a motorcycle.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:19 pm UTC

Even if the code was 80% Infiniminer code, who cares? That code was released for anyone's use and someone did something with it that resulted in a game that's popular enough to have made quite a bit of money. C'est la vie; that's how the adult world works. It's a non-issue.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:25 pm UTC

Well.. released in response to it being leaked due to Infiniminer's programmer making a huge mistake. A "I totally could be rolling in the Minecraft riches had I played my hand a bit different" mistake. Assuming he recognized that the building aspect was more entertaining than the multiplayer gameplay he had rolling....

I suppose what I'm saying is that, if Zachronic had done things precisely right, we'd be playing a game that was natively Minecraft and Ace of Spades in one. Also, if I had done everything precisely right, I'd be a billionaire from my wise investments from doing things like buying the fuck out of Apple stock when they were in the shitter back in the late 90s.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:40 pm UTC

Besides that, not writing the backbone of a product you release, particularly a game, is spectacularly common. Not every game written with the source engine or the unreal engine or any other engine was written by the people that created the engine. That's kind of common practice with engines now: write a good engine, make a couple games in house with it to both show it off and get the kinks worked out, then license it out to other studios who don't have the time/money/skills/desire to write their own engine. Hell, even the people who write game engines themselves often use other people's code for their graphics/physics/sound/what-the-fuck-ever libraries.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Windowlicker

Postby Windowlicker » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:20 pm UTC

It seems to be raining on me fucking all the time. Could it have something to do with the fact that I turn it off with SPC every time it comes on? I don't know how rain is coded.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:54 am UTC

Windowlicker wrote:It seems to be raining on me fucking all the time. Could it have something to do with the fact that I turn it off with SPC every time it comes on? I don't know how rain is coded.

Seriously, I have 1400000 square meters to deforest, and it seems like Every. Fucking. Time I have just used half a flint and steel, the fucking rain starts up again.

I don't think I've seen four game-time days go by without rain...but I've seen rain happen twice in a three day period more often than I can count. RRgh.

When it happens I log out as fast as possible to try and preserve SOME of my flames. ...and log back in later. So if I do this and I haven't arranged for you to set it to nightfall and then sleep (which kills the rain), apologies for not saying goodbye.

Fuck rain. Once I'm done with Fiddler's Green I'm moving to a snowy climate.

Windowlicker

Postby Windowlicker » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:00 am UTC

I definitely like desert biomes for killing the rain. I've desanded a couple and dirted them in just to have an easy haven or two.

Levi

Postby Levi » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:06 am UTC

Hopefully there will be an option to turn off weather in the future. I can't imagine why I thought it would be a good idea. Variety, I suppose.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:25 am UTC

I'd like to see a lot more world options as a whole. Something like a dialog box that pops up when you create a world, and has sliders sunny <-> stormy, water <-> land, and continents <-> archipelago, and radio buttons to select world height. Some way to play with the world generator a bit.

EDIT: Having played with alternate world generators, it can change the way the game plays quite dramatically. Sphereworld (can't remember the mod name) is pretty awesome, and makes resource gathering much different (ie, the easiest (only?) way to get flint was from the nether):

Spoiler:
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Windowlicker

Postby Windowlicker » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:34 am UTC

Ah yes biospheres. I accidentally messed up a portion of my normal word by generating some new land, forgetting it was installed. MCEdit to the rescue!

I'm not sure what the plans are for world generation in the future.. apparently they're taking out support for seeds, so maybe they are implementing something more in-depth? It seems wrong to go back a step in that regard..

Return to “Gaming”