Infiniminer!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Steve Zissou

Infiniminer!

Postby Steve Zissou » Tue May 12, 2009 4:54 pm UTC

Infiniminer!

Not sure how many people have seen this, but it is a *great* game that's being developed right now. Lots of fun to play with a good group of friends. Just mind the crappy netcode, which seems to enjoy randomly disconnecting players. You'll need .NET Runtime 2.0 and the XNA 3.0 Runtime as well, if you don't have them already.

Let's get some people together and organize a game!
The Horrible Fanfare - A Journalist's blog.
bigglesworth wrote:Steve Zissou! Steve Zissou!
Will you do the fandango?

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Re: Infiniminer!

Postby Jessica » Tue May 12, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Oh man, Infiniminer is awesome!
Me and my friends played all on the same team and just built shit all over and tried to kill each other with lava.

The actual vs game may or may not be worth it, but that doesn't matter. Building stuff like mansions and roads and pits of doom is good enough for me.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Tue May 12, 2009 6:12 pm UTC

...The site has no ideas about the game. What is it?

Steve Zissou

Postby Steve Zissou » Tue May 12, 2009 6:51 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:Oh man, Infiniminer is awesome!
Me and my friends played all on the same team and just built shit all over and tried to kill each other with lava.

The actual vs game may or may not be worth it, but that doesn't matter. Building stuff like mansions and roads and pits of doom is good enough for me.

That's actually all me and my friends did last night. We ladder'd down to the bottom, and then built a strange house-type thing at the top, whilist funneling lava around it. Totally fun.

Shadic wrote:...The site has no ideas about the game. What is it?

Think Dwarf Fortress, but 3D, with classes, and lots of lava. Basically, you build various structures out of blocks, fuelled by the ore you collect, in an attempt to mine more diamonds/gold/loot than the other team first. But Jess is right; playing on the same team and just fucking around is quite fun as well!
The Horrible Fanfare - A Journalist's blog.
bigglesworth wrote:Steve Zissou! Steve Zissou!
Will you do the fandango?

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Tue May 12, 2009 8:06 pm UTC

Steve Zissou wrote:
Jessica wrote:Oh man, Infiniminer is awesome!

That's actually all me and my friends did last night. We ladder'd down to the bottom, and then built a strange house-type thing at the top, whilist funneling lava around it. Totally fun.

Shadic wrote:...The site has no ideas about the game. What is it?

Think Dwarf Fortress, but 3D, with classes, and lots of lava. Basically, you build various structures out of blocks, fuelled by the ore you collect, in an attempt to mine more diamonds/gold/loot than the other team first. But Jess is right; playing on the same team and just fucking around is quite fun as well!

The only difference from DF there is multiplayer and classes. You build stuff out of other stuff you dug out of the ground in an effort to have cooler shit that the goblins when they attack. And yes, DF has lava. Lots of lava. And lava cannons.

Pro-Tip: z-levels are a poor man's 3D, but they're still a third dimension. So it's 3D.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Tue May 12, 2009 8:17 pm UTC

Downloading now, and I am definitely up for a game. Tip for Vista users: run it in XP-SP2 compatibility mode.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Awia

Postby Awia » Thu May 14, 2009 6:24 pm UTC

version 1.5 has been released, it adds a sandbox mode, bloom effects and animated lava, among other things.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Thu May 14, 2009 6:29 pm UTC

Sandbox mode is awesome, building crazy stuff is the best part of the game. Now there's no need to hunt for ore between constructing your map-spanning tower of doom!
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

Awia

Postby Awia » Thu May 14, 2009 6:36 pm UTC

Or in your case, spending 2 hours flattening the surface and covering it with road.

SoapyHobo

Postby SoapyHobo » Thu May 14, 2009 6:47 pm UTC

Awia wrote:Or in your case, spending 2 hours flattening the surface and covering it with road.
Don't pretend you weren't there helping me with it. T'was awesome, anyway.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

Amalith

Postby Amalith » Thu May 14, 2009 11:56 pm UTC

Just downloaded, and I must say this game is awesome. I'd add something else, but I don't think I can.

Oh, yeah... lava waterfall. I'm interested to see all the epic things people can make.

Texas_Ben

Postby Texas_Ben » Fri May 15, 2009 2:30 am UTC

I just downloaded it because of this thread, and it is AWESOME!

However, is there a way to change classes? It would be nice to be able to flatten the map with a demo guy and then switch to engineer to build my doom fortress.

madprocess

Postby madprocess » Fri May 15, 2009 2:36 am UTC

Texas_Ben wrote:I just downloaded it because of this thread, and it is AWESOME!

However, is there a way to change classes? It would be nice to be able to flatten the map with a demo guy and then switch to engineer to build my doom fortress.

At the surface, hit the 'm' key. It'll bring up the class selection screen. Also, all the keys are listed by holding down 'F1'

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Fri May 15, 2009 6:45 pm UTC

Absolutely awesome game, yes, but when I try to join a server/game thing it just says 00% loaded and then goes back to the main screen.
Very annoying.
I only managed to play by myself by putting my own ip address into the DIRECT CONNECT thingy.
EDIT: It won;t even do the direct connect thing anymore...

Why won't it work? :(
I'm probably not doing something, I no next to nothing about this whole server business so an explanation would be lovely.
Ⓞⓞ◯

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun May 17, 2009 12:11 pm UTC

Right, I've figured out how to play it by myself again, but that's become boring.
I think I might need to be using something called Hamachi to join a server or something, but I really don't know what to do.
Ⓞⓞ◯

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sun May 17, 2009 12:51 pm UTC

You don't need Hamachi specifically; any VPN program will do fine. We should have a game sometime, maybe coordinated in one of the IRC channels.
<Cheese> I love you

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun May 17, 2009 2:20 pm UTC

Well, for the time being, I'll use Hamachi because I downloaded it.
I think I need to connect to a network using Hamachi (I don't know what network or how) and then I guess that means I'll be allowed to access the server run games.
Or something.

Do I have to connect to a specific network/sever which would allow me to connect to only one of the server games?
I'm really clueless here.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Amalith

Postby Amalith » Sun May 17, 2009 4:00 pm UTC

Hamachi would allow you to connect to a specific server, so you can run games. I don't know why you can't load games from the server list, I know some of the servers don't load for me, but most of them do. Hamachi is completely seperate from that, connecting to someone's computer, allowing you to join any LAN games they have running. (I think. I haven't used Hamachi for some time, and can't remember it fully. If I'm wrong, someone else correct me)

Nemiro

Postby Nemiro » Sun May 17, 2009 5:10 pm UTC

Pretty much Hamachi tricks your computers into believing they are on a LAN together. Thus allowing you to play games in LAN mode. More importantly, it allows you to then just use the Hamachi address of the hosting player to join the game, *usually* preventing the need for static IP and port forwarding stuff.

Infiniminer is awesome. I've gotten into the habit of continuing tunnels dug by our team along a straight route, then turning a corner, immediately after which I dig down in place. Then wait for people to come running along, and turn the corner. Then fall to their doom screaming :D.

Oh, and letting lava into the mine workings..
Joshua wrote:GREETINGS, PROFESSOR FALKEN.

Spam here please

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun May 17, 2009 7:31 pm UTC

So, can I use Hamachi to play Infiniminer with random people?
I think what I'm asking for is a step by step guide for multiplayer Infiniminer :D
I'd love to get in on a game with some of you lot, but there's not much chance of it happening right now.
Last edited by TaintedDeity on Mon May 18, 2009 3:37 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Texas_Ben

Postby Texas_Ben » Mon May 18, 2009 1:59 am UTC

I showed my friend this game, and then watched in horror as he chose sapper and immediately proceeded to blow up everyone else's stuff.

On an unrelated note, I've been on several servers where the lava raises very fast seemingly spontaneously, going from a map with no lava above ground to being several towers in a sea of fire.
What makes that happen?

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Mon May 18, 2009 3:16 am UTC

Ok, I'll bite.

Downloading now.

Awia

Postby Awia » Mon May 18, 2009 2:15 pm UTC

It's now open source! To the coding-mobile!

Phen

Postby Phen » Mon May 18, 2009 4:32 pm UTC

... I can't find any ore. Maybe it's because I joined a server that had already been done strange things to. Also no lava.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon May 18, 2009 4:53 pm UTC

Ok, I;ve roughly figured out how to use the Hamachi thing, and I reckon from there I'll be able to figure out how to join a server/game thing.
We just need to organise one now.
Ⓞⓞ◯

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Mon May 18, 2009 5:04 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:Ok, I;ve roughly figured out how to use the Hamachi thing, and I reckon from there I'll be able to figure out how to join a server/game thing.
We just need to organise one have a game right now.

Fixed. Sign me up for a game.
<Cheese> I love you

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon May 18, 2009 6:03 pm UTC

Before I start saying "Hey, come and join me here!" what's the worse A Bad Person can do if they join the same Hamachi server as us?
EDIT: Not just Hamachi, obivously.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Nemiro

Postby Nemiro » Mon May 18, 2009 6:07 pm UTC

Awia wrote:It's now open source! To the coding-mobile!

Bigger maps! Bigger bigger bigger! (If I can work out how)

TaintedDeity wrote:Before I start saying "Hey, come and join me here!" what's the worse A Bad Person can do if they join the same Hamachi server as us?

Not much - by default "vulnerable Windows services" are disabled (no idea what those are), and unless you set up shared folders, no one can access your files (even if they click browse, they'll have to supply a username and password to access it anyway). Also they'd have to guess the network name (unless they read this thread) and then the password. The connection goes through Hamachi's mediation servers, and can be encrypted with AES-256 if you wish (advanced peer options).
Joshua wrote:GREETINGS, PROFESSOR FALKEN.

Spam here please

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon May 18, 2009 6:44 pm UTC

Yeah, I was assuming they'd found the network names and passwords here or anywhere else we put them.

So, um, anyone want to host a server so we can play around and build shit together?
I'd put up a server of my own but, as I've said, I'm really not confident enough with networks/servers/whatever to start playing around with settings and making things accessible.
Ⓞⓞ◯

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Mon May 18, 2009 7:28 pm UTC

Played around with this last night, it's really creepy to just dig straight down to the -30s and just explore...like really creepy.

Edit: But yes, if someone would want to host a game, I'm eager to learn/partake in shenanigans

Phen

Postby Phen » Mon May 18, 2009 9:28 pm UTC

crucialityfactor wrote:Played around with this last night, it's really creepy to just dig straight down to the -30s and just explore...like really creepy.

Edit: But yes, if someone would want to host a game, I'm eager to learn/partake in shenanigans

... Why is it creepy? Don't you just fall down when there's no more squares?
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Amalith

Postby Amalith » Mon May 18, 2009 10:15 pm UTC

Phen wrote:
crucialityfactor wrote:Played around with this last night, it's really creepy to just dig straight down to the -30s and just explore...like really creepy.

... Why is it creepy? Don't you just fall down when there's no more squares?

Thats -52 not -30's. I don't think its creepy down there, usually thats my favorite thing to do.
especially if there is lava, building paths over it is fun.

Even more fun if the surface is flooded with lava and the only way down is jumping off the side and hitting a ladder. I have no idea how they did that (pre-build map?), but it was awesome. Nothing like a whole cave system with lava paths, and no other people. Great place for a base even if exploring isn't your thing.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Mon May 18, 2009 10:59 pm UTC

Well...i thought it was creepy cause...you're like all alone, and just surrounded by stone...like if that were irl...fuck that.

Texas_Ben

Postby Texas_Ben » Tue May 19, 2009 12:33 am UTC

I definitely agree that it is very creepy exploring the deep underground alone. Because you do feel so very alone.

SoapyHobo

Postby SoapyHobo » Tue May 19, 2009 10:41 am UTC

Awia wrote:It's now open source! To the coding-mobile!
Alright, I've dug around in the code a bit and changed a few things (mostly to make sandbox better, and messing around with textures):

Awesomeminer v3 features wrote:-Miner has all tools and blocks available
-Miner can carry 2000 ore and 20 gold
-ore blocks now give 25 ore
-diamond weight increased from 1 to 5
-added lava, metal and dirt blocks for construction
-walking speed and jump height increased
-mining speed increased by lots
-fall damage decreased
-able to remove lava with deconstructor (though good luck clearing any area larger than 2x2)

-changed the constructor tool sprite to the bfg, because i could
-changed lava, tnt and ladder textures
-new crosshair
Get it from here!

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Tue May 19, 2009 6:07 pm UTC

How long do I have to wait for one of you guys to make an Infinimer/Dwarf Fortress crossover?
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue May 19, 2009 8:14 pm UTC

Goldstein wrote:How long do I have to wait for one of you guys to make an Infinimer/Dwarf Fortress crossover?
I've been very tempted to see if I can make the board huge and implement lava pipes/pockets.

We'd need a lot of people to run a proper fortress though. :P

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Tue May 19, 2009 9:02 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:We'd need a lot of people to run a proper fortress though. :P

Don't let that stop you. If it is awesome, people will play.
<Cheese> I love you

Notch

Postby Notch » Wed May 20, 2009 12:54 am UTC

Goldstein wrote:How long do I have to wait for one of you guys to make an Infinimer/Dwarf Fortress crossover?

I'm working on it! I don't want to be one of those spammy people, so I'll just put a tiny link here.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Wed May 20, 2009 4:54 pm UTC

That was the greatest thing I have ever seen.
<Cheese> I love you

Return to “Gaming”