PS3, Xbox360, Wii, Atari 5200. Why buy? (PS3 vs XBox360)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

GrawSith

PS3, Xbox360, Wii, Atari 5200. Why buy? (PS3 vs XBox360)

Postby GrawSith » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:52 am UTC

Recently I've hit a dry spot in my gaming. I compulsively sell my games after I'm finished with them, so I can afford new ones, so as of right now, I have an XBOX 360 with 5 games (the only one I care about is my special edition GTA4), a DS with no games, and a dozen PC games I haven't touched in ages. This should all sell for a semi-decent amount.

I've also become somewhat enamored with the PS3, and I'm tempted to buy one, with one or two games to start with. My questions are:

- From an XBOX perspective, is the PS3 a quality console? The controllers are my main worry, but also the XMB interface. Also, does it have a good library?

- The other question is: I play my XBOX on a 22-inch VGA computer monitor. Obviously there are VGA cables available, but if anyone has tried this on a PS3, please share your experience.

Thanks guys.

(Also, how's that whole Blu-ray thing ?)

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Re: Should I sell my 360 and get a PS3?

Postby Jack Saladin » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:25 am UTC

Well, as for the games, the Xbox 360 and PS3 libraries are like 90% the same. It's the 10% of exclusives that makes the difference there, and that's solely personal opinion. I mean, personally, I find Gears of War boring as hell, so that's not compelling me to swing Xbox; whereas I'd suck the eyeballs out of an orphans skull to play two minutes of ICO3, a PS3 exclusive. And MGS4 is my game of the generation so far, another PS3 exclusive. But if you're really into Fable or Halo or whatever there is on the Xbox, obviously it has the better library for you.

As for your other questions; the monitor's fine, I don't know what cables or adapters or anything you'd need or want, but it's not any different to any other device in that regard. It'll work fine.

And quality? Fuckin' lol. Sony is a hardware company. They've been a hardware company since they made PDAs for, like, fucking ancient ninjas. The Xbox 360 has been cheaply cobbled together from the most convenient available suppliers and has a 25% failure rate to show for it. The PS3 bends the 360 over a table and tears its anus out when it comes to hardware quality.

Controllers are again pretty much personal opinion - I do like the 360's triggers, but I find the Dualshock 3 much better for marathon gaming. It's just more ergonomic over long periods of time.

And you may or may not be interested in this, but a big draw for some people is the blu-ray drive in the PS3. It's still one of the best value for money blu-ray players out there. I don't get a whole lot of blu-ray movies, but I do like getting my absolute favourites (TDK looks great).

Really it's up to which games you enjoy the most. Sony has some of my favourite development teams working for them, and exclusivity arrangements with a whole bunch of others. Every year there are a bunch of upcoming PS3 exclusives I'm really excited about, and I can't name a single 360 exclusive I'd want to play. If the situation is reversed for you, don't swap. But if you're looking forward to God of War 3 or something, go ahead and do it.

Tomo

Postby Tomo » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:50 pm UTC

Absolutely no chance. as the above poster said, the libraries are 90% the same anyway. although I also echo his statement about Ico 3, it's not out yet. In fact I've said multiple times that its release date will be the day I buy a PS3 :p But then I'm far from bored with my 360, I don't sell games so I currently have around 60 to choose from. Also, I've never liked MGS, but then I don't actually like Halo or Fable either, so that's a fairly moot point.

Also the controllers are an issue, I personally find the dual shocks incredibly uncomfortable, whereas the 360 controllers are some of the best I've ever used. This really is a matter of preference though.

What it comes down to really, is are there enough games on the PS3 to warrant you buying the console? If there are 4-5 top quality titles you'd love to play, it'll definitely be worth the investment. But personally I'd wait a little longer, maybe save up and buy both if you're not too short on cash. That's definitely what I plan to do.
"Pick a number between 1 and 10."
"0.9999...?"

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:31 pm UTC

I have both but unless there's some exclusives (that 4-5 number is pretty good) that are REALLY compelling to you, I wouldn't bother trading one for the other since, like everyone has said, the libraries are otherwise identical. Hardware-wise, it seems like there's very few problems compared to the 360, and I haven't had any (it's also WAY quieter) but saying that it's fine because Sony is a hardware company is a bad argument since both the PS1 and PS2 were pretty shitty pieces of hardware until the last few iterations. I, personally, find the 360's controller to be way better except for the d-pad which the PS3 wins with both in position and usability, but d-pad games are pretty uncommon now. The XMB is okay, but I find the New XBox Experience to be somewhat better, at least a gaming interface. XMB is very much designed to be a do it all interface, and it works well at that since it's a LOT easier to access any network folders you have. I'm not a fan of the absurdly long system update times and game installations, but the former, at least, can be ignored if you're not planning to play online or are just watching a movie. (As an idea, updating the 360 from the old OS to NXE took me no more than 10 minutes, and there's only major updates a couple times a year, whereas PS3 updates seem to come once a month or so and take 10-15 minutes of downloading, installing, and rebooting. It's a minor annoyance, but it's still an annoyance).

As it is, I use the 360 for *gaming* far more than the PS3, but I think if I just had the PS3, I wouldn't be much worse off since virtually everything is built for multi-platform, anyway.

GrawSith

Postby GrawSith » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:56 pm UTC

I see your point. Sony is crazy good with build quality (my brother's fat PS2 is still working), and if GTA4 was sony-exclusive I would have immediately bought a PS3.

Thanks guys.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:36 am UTC

GrawSith wrote:I see your point. Sony is crazy good with build quality (my brother's fat PS2 is still working), and if GTA4 was sony-exclusive I would have immediately bought a PS3.

Thanks guys.

Don't judge the current batch on the last generation. The old xBoxes still work fine too. Also, don't judge the current ones by the name tag on the side. Microsoft may not be a hardware company, but its not like they actually build the things anyway. All that gets handled by company's like ATI and Foxconn. Hardware wise the ps3 is better, but that's only because of the blu ray player and the fact they shelled out the production costs for proper cooling. Cell architecture is pretty much a moot point gamewise, because the non exclusive devs refuse to program for it anyway. Basically it boils down to if you want ps3 exclusives; buy a ps3. If you want x360 exclusives; buy an x360. If don't want exclusive games, well, the x360 is cheaper, but the ps3 has bluray and linux.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:06 am UTC

At the moment my xbox is being used to l4d and RE5(which you can get on the 360 anyway...) while my ps3 is getting used for killzone 2 (speaking of which, Jack, we should play together, now that I am on broadband speed internet again). I like my ps3 more than my 360, the only thing keeping me from selling it are the amount of friends that i play with online. Online is much better than ps3, mainly because most people i dont seem to have a bluetooth headset.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:14 pm UTC

GrawSith wrote:I see your point. Sony is crazy good with build quality (my brother's fat PS2 is still working),

Er. I've known multiple people who've gone through more than one PS2 simply becuase they shat out for no apparent reason, and there's tons and tons of anecdotes of them randomly not reading certain discs over time, as well as overheating quite regularly. Same with PS1s (I have a friend whose release PS1 eventually got to the point where it would only run if it was upside down at a 45 degree angle). It mostly depends on when you got it, since the later revisions fixed a lot of the problems. That said, yeah, the PS3 seems to be a pretty well-designed piece of hardware, and it's readily noticable in its weight alone.
LuNatic wrote:, but the ps3 has bluray and linux.

It has crappy versions of Linux that have exceptionally limited resources to run with due to Sony's lockout of a lot of the system's RAM (only 256 MB shared memory is available). It's barely usable and shouldn't really be used as a selling point.

Tomo

Postby Tomo » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:20 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Er. I've known multiple people who've gone through more than one PS2 simply becuase they shat out for no apparent reason, and there's tons and tons of anecdotes of them randomly not reading certain discs over time, as well as overheating quite regularly. Same with PS1s (I have a friend whose release PS1 eventually got to the point where it would only run if it was upside down at a 45 degree angle). It mostly depends on when you got it, since the later revisions fixed a lot of the problems.

I had a friend with an upside down 45 degree PS1 as well! Back in the day we had real hardware errors. PS2s also had horrific lasers, a lot of people I knew had them conk out after a few years of so.

Neither the PS3 or 360 has the reliability or design of the consoles in the previous generations, but honestly the replacement scheme for the 360 is excellent and the PS3 seems fairly sturdy - I wouldn't let this affect your decision too much.

It still just comes down to; buy whichever has more exclusives you enjoy, and if you're a real gamer, get both!
"0.9999...?"

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:39 pm UTC

One thing to consider is that more people have 360s. Even if you buy non-exclusives, there will be a larger userbase for you to play with on the 360.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:14 pm UTC

Another side effect of that is the 360 often gets exclusive DLC for multi-plat games. Not that I'd ever personally shell over my hard earned money for horse armour or multiplayer that should have been on the disc, but if that's your scene.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:54 pm UTC

The sad part is that there's been cases where the "DLC" IS on the disc, and you have to pay to unlock it. That's the developer/publisher's bullshit, though. There is occasionally exclusive *content* where content is defined as new gameplay material with GTA4 being the best example.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:35 pm UTC

You could just sell your xbox and upgrade your PC...
(begin religious wars)
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

TheOtherDOOMGuy

Postby TheOtherDOOMGuy » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:40 pm UTC

I wouldnt.
Unless you are a very big fan of the whole Sony thing.
I HAD both consoles, and never played my PS3, except on rare occasions.

I found that games generally ran better on the xbox, and the controller was muvch more comfortable to use.

But Im not you, so my opinion doesnt really count for much.
I may regal the world with my console stories in time, but Im too lazy to write it now.
Lets just say, I currently have neither console, because I have gone through 1 xbox, and 3 PS3s, and got bored of repairing and all that crap.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

And on my car:
Sic hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades

adunebutt

Postby adunebutt » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:15 pm UTC

If you value any type of multiplayer experience, keep the 360. The PS3 will never amount to what Microsoft has so easily constructed and monopolized, the online console gaming community. Although, if you are purely after single player games and have NO intent on multiplayer, I'd suggest the PS3. The value of the PS3 is excellent, getting a Blu-Ray player and a great console for $300-$400 is an amazing bargain. Although, I would really stress your value on multiplayer. If any interest exists, the PS3 will greatly disappoint.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:46 pm UTC

I play plenty of online on my PS3 and have no problems.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:40 pm UTC

You people are all forgetting that there are loads of good PC games out there. Just saying...
<Cheese> I love you

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:17 pm UTC

Well, yeah, but this is about consoles, and many console games never make it to PC. There are plenty of great games on the DS too, but that's not really relevant to the conversation at hand.

Personally I've got a PS3, PC, DS, and PSP. Covers all the bases. There are like four games released every year I can't play, and I have no interest in any of them.

Tomo

Postby Tomo » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:14 am UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:You people are all forgetting that there are loads of good PC games out there. Just saying...

Yeah but.. everyone has a PC.
"0.9999...?"

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:07 pm UTC

Tomo wrote:
headprogrammingczar wrote:You people are all forgetting that there are loads of good PC games out there. Just saying...

Not that can play games.

TheOtherDOOMGuy

Postby TheOtherDOOMGuy » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:57 pm UTC

Tomo wrote:

I dont.
This is just an illusion
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

And on my car:
Sic hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:39 pm UTC

Tomo wrote:

If I see another "Just get a PC" comment in this goddamn thread, I'm deleting your children.

"But ST, I don't have kids" you say.

Exactly

PS3 vs 360, with .. I don't know.. Wii defense if you want.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Sharlos

Postby Sharlos » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:07 pm UTC

There aren't many interesting games on the wii tbh. Fun controls when your playing with friends or whatever but one your own its kinds boring.

TheOtherDOOMGuy

Postby TheOtherDOOMGuy » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:29 pm UTC

Sharlos wrote:There aren't many interesting games on the wii tbh. Fun controls when your playing with friends or whatever but one your own its kinds boring.

Except for Zelda, Metroid Prime, and No More Heroes.

Other than that, you really need more people.

And on my car:

NeoTechni

Postby NeoTechni » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:11 pm UTC

One of my friends did this, he was fed up with the whole RROD thing, MS screwed him out of a month of Live, and once he used the PS3 he was so impressed with the lack of DRM (ie: on media, save games, downloadable content) how it worked with stuff 360 didn't (ie: his $100 gaming headset) online multiplayer was pretty much the same as Live only free, he never looked back

And this guy had like 20 Arcade games and hundreds of downloaded Guitar Hero/Rockband songs. (Which he gave the harddrive to me as a birthday present :D )

TheOtherDOOMGuy

Postby TheOtherDOOMGuy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:40 pm UTC

NeoTechni wrote:One of my friends did this, he was fed up with the whole RROD thing, MS screwed him out of a month of Live, and once he used the PS3 he was so impressed with the lack of DRM (ie: on media, save games, downloadable content) how it worked with stuff 360 didn't (ie: his $100 gaming headset) online multiplayer was pretty much the same as Live only free, he never looked back

And this guy had like 20 Arcade games and hundreds of downloaded Guitar Hero/Rockband songs. (Which he gave the harddrive to me as a birthday present :D )

Classic fanboy story, except for the part where you get the xbox harddrive.
And the online isnt the same.
Mainly because nobody talks... Ever.

And over here (Europe) The quality of online is the worst I have ever seen.
Even comparing to the days of 26.6K Dialup. The whole thing is poorly done over here.
At least with live, I GOT a good connection speed, no lag, etc.

But both my PS3 and Xbox have broken, so no online for me at all.
Consoles really are made of scrap nowadays.

And on my car:

GCM

Postby GCM » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:50 pm UTC

Yes.

/thread.

Joking, of course. XD

For me, the only exclusives to the 360 I've seen are really Halo, GoW and Dead Rising, none of which I'm really that interested in. Probably more, but then I wouldn't have heard of them. =P Everything else is cross platform with at least the PS3 (which I have), if not the PC and maybe even the Wii.

You played all that you want on the 360? A PS3 would at least open you to the Ratchet & Clank series, Little Big Planet, Resistance + Killzone (though they sound quite similar to Xbox titles anyway, I must say), and Metal Gear.

I can think of absolutely nothing that you'd want the Wii for.
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:53 pm UTC

SMB:Galaxy was good if you like platformers, and Metroid Prime 3 was good if you ignore that it wasn't Metroid Prime 1, but yeah, what GCM said.
<Cheese> I love you

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:39 am UTC

People actually like the 360 controller? I always used it as a horror story to scare small children.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:21 am UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:People actually like the 360 controller? I always used it as a horror story to scare small children.

The D-Pad is kind of lame, but I've not taken issue with anything else. In fact, one thing I really dislike about the D-Pad is that it's significantly easier to break as well, probably. I've got a regular PS2 gamepad and a third party one. The third party one is similar to the 360's, and it snapped off from overuse :P

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:51 pm UTC

There's only two things they could do to improve the 360 controller: put on a better d-pad, and add two face buttons in a non-stupid position (i.e. NOT like the original X-Box controllers). Seriously, it's my favorite pad of all time, and I've used every major and a lot of minor console controllers since the NES, plus a some random PC pads now and then. I had no idea there were people who disliked it.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:23 pm UTC

Sharlos wrote:There aren't many interesting games on the wii tbh. Fun controls when your playing with friends or whatever but one your own its kinds boring.

I hate it when people just come out and play this card, because it is demonstrably a load of shit. $10 says he doesn't own one. If he does, he's clearly too stupid to use the internet and find many of the dozens of solid single-player games out there.

I might as well say "there aren't many interesting games on the 360 tbh. Fun if you like shooting people with friends or whatever but if you don't want to play a shooter its [sic] kinds [sic] boring." Demonstrably a load of shit- there are lots of good non-shooter games to play, but the shooters happen to be the highest profile games.

TheOtherDOOMGuy

Postby TheOtherDOOMGuy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:02 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:There's only two things they could do to improve the 360 controller: put on a better d-pad, and add two face buttons in a non-stupid position (i.e. NOT like the original X-Box controllers). Seriously, it's my favorite pad of all time, and I've used every major and a lot of minor console controllers since the NES, plus a some random PC pads now and then. I had no idea there were people who disliked it.

You should have tried playing breakdown with the original controller. It was really made for the S-controller, because the jump button, which was used a lot, was mapped to the black button.

Quite a stretch for your thumb on those big old controllers.

But yes, I totally agree.
With the black and white buttons included, where the S-controller had them, the xbox 360 controller would be great.
And fgor the d-pad thing, americans must have reall, really bad quality controllers.
Over here,(Irelandabad) we havent had that problem at all.
Except for PS3 fanboys, again.
They heard this, and use it over here.
And yet, our PS3 controllers have been giving a lot of trouble, the same stuff as the older Playstations.
You know, the cable covering coming loose, the analog sticks coming loose, sometimes falling off completely.
But I havent heard this problem from over in Americastan.
Maybe you don't have it?

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:People actually like the 360 controller? I always used it as a horror story to scare small children.

That is because your thumbs are on the wrong side of your hands.

And on my car:

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:25 pm UTC

No, I'm not talking quality-wise (although the second controller I got had a goofy d-pad out of the box; I *really* should have returned that), I'm talking about usability. It's really vague and difficult to hit the direction you want compared to, well, pretty much anything with a good-sized d-pad and not the Master System (god that thing was terrible). It's really just not well-designed in that respect and makes things like Street Fighter difficult to play with it. Thankfully, most games use the analog stick, which is really very good.

My main problem with the PS3 pad is that the sticks are poorly placed and too close together. It was acceptable back on the PS1 when a) they were optional to use 99% of the time and b) no one knew any better anyway. PS2 was the first out the gate with dual sticks in its generation, so again, no one knew better, though they should have figured it out. Then the GameCube and XBox came out and oh shit, (not) surprisingly it's way more comfortable to have them offset with the left stick being the most prominant position when the vast majority of games require you to use at least it, if not both sticks.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:42 pm UTC

... I really like the Dualshock stick placement. It's much more comfortable than the 360 layout, for me. And the fact they aren't symmetrical really bugs my brain and hurts my input, I think.

Maybe I have unusually big/small/long/short hands.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:25 pm UTC

Honestly, I wouldn't think it was that bad if they moved the sticks further out. It's just that the d-pad is in the spot where my thumb naturally wants to fall, and no games actually make use of it beyond being an extra set of buttons. Well, maybe not *naturally* but it's what my hands expect after years of console gaming.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:48 pm UTC

Eh, hold your hands open losely, then turn your hands so that your thumbs are on top while keeping them even.

Your hands .. or, at least my hands.. look like they're ready for a NES or Genesis controller to be shoved in there for gameplayin'. The Dualshock also fits nicely. The XBox requires that I move my left thumb in a different position, while keeping my fingers on both hands in identical, if mirrored, positions.

Like Jack said - cognitive dissonance or something, because that's weird as hell to me. And makes me thing the controller was designed by people who hadn't really used game controllers before or since.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:58 pm UTC

My favorite long-term controller is the wiimote because you've got your arms spread out to your sides while you're sitting/laying on the couch. My wrists can face any way thats comfortable at the time. I would love to see the devs (or, if I HAVE to use it, madkatz) to come out with some PS3/360 controllers that can come apart and are attached by a cord. It may not give you the quickest response times, but its the most ergonomically sound.

TheOtherDOOMGuy

Postby TheOtherDOOMGuy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:44 pm UTC

Jebobek wrote:My favorite long-term controller is the wiimote because you've got your arms spread out to your sides while you're sitting/laying on the couch. My wrists can face any way thats comfortable at the time. I would love to see the devs (or, if I HAVE to use it, madkatz) to come out with some PS3/360 controllers that can come apart and are attached by a cord. It may not give you the quickest response times, but its the most ergonomically sound.

This actually sounds amazing!
I want something like this. You could probably alleviate the response times a bit with a wired connection to the console.

And on my car:

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:33 am UTC

..I don't even own a 360 (Nor a PS3) and I LOVE the 360 controller. The left stick is in a more natural place for my thumb to rest over the PS1/2/3, (And I hold the N64 controller from the outside) and the whole feel goes into my hands much better. I find the bumpers a bit goofy, but PS3 has the same sorta thing with L1, L2, R1, and R3.

Return to “Gaming”