Fable 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Fable 2

Postby Xeio » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:41 am UTC

Wow, so it's been out a week and no one made a topic? :P

Just got it today, have an exam tomorrow so I've only played about an hour or two. It's pretty, though it took me a while to figure out how to get rid of the annoying interface for impressing people. The dog is neat though (not much I can do with him so early in the game though), and it's definitely more open than the original (haven't explored that a lot, but the first town in large enough to get lost in, though maybe that just says I'm a bad navigator). My first play through is a good character, though I'm already thinking it will be fun to play the badass and see how the world ends up comparatively.

Amnesiasoft

Re: Fable 2

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:05 am UTC

Spoiler:
MY DOG IS DEAD D:

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:21 am UTC

I've been playing it on my friend's Xbox. I've done the storyline up to meeting the first hero, and so far have made a ton of money blacksmithing, which I've used to buy a bunch of vendor stalls in Bowerstone. I also own and rent out half the gypsy camp.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:36 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:
Spoiler:
MY DOG IS DEAD D:

Spoiler:
But... then how do you find buried treasure? :X

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:04 am UTC

...you don't.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:07 am UTC

A fate worse than death.

Whispering

Postby Whispering » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:03 am UTC

If you just play the storyline you can beat it in a day. Or at least I did but I've also been accused of having no life. It's a lot bigger than the first Fable. I'm not to sure of the usefulness of the dog. My first character owns all the houses and all the shops and is working towards the 2.5 million dollar real estate achievement. My second character is going to be a utter bastard so it should be fun.
Spoiler:
Gah, I want to know how Teresa survived for 600 years maybe they'll explain that in a DLC.

Spoiler:
Anyone else think finding those Gargoyle's annoying? I can hear the stupid things insulting me but I can't find them half the time.
Kendo_Bunny wrote:The only thoughts you don’t tell him are the ones where you want to ride that sparkly ass like Seabiscuit.

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:32 am UTC

Spoiler:
I am somewhat unhappy about not being able to keep both the Temple of Light and The Temple of Shadows. Also, the lack of clothing options is rather sad. I'm loving the introduction of guns, however. My Evil/Pure character was made to have perfect shooting abilities (in this case, Chain Attack, a maxed out Skill tree, and maxed Time Control). I find that bodies do the most humorous things when several bullets hit multiple parts of them simultaneously.

Also, I'm very unhappy about not having access to the Hal suit, energy sword, and extra dungeon from the LE. Are any of those confirmed DLC yet?

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:59 pm UTC

I got it this past weekend and I'm impressed, which I wasn't so much with the first. Between this, LBP, and Fallout 3, I'm flooded with games. And I have Lost Odyssey on the way.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:51 am UTC

Ew, freezes. THIS is why you don't rush patches through QA. :|

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:34 am UTC

I now have about 40,000 gold in investments (real estate and shops) but haven't bothered finding the second Hero yet.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.

SJ Zero

Postby SJ Zero » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:59 pm UTC

For the people who have played it, how are the non-plot game elements?

I ask because it felt like a lot of the stuff in Fable was tacked on. You could buy houses, but the only things they were useful for is marrying and renting. They had an awesome non-linear mission selection system, but only two or three missions that weren't part of the plot. It had marriage, but you never really cared about your love doll because he or she never really did anything. Even Lady Grey became a RealDoll you needed to flex a couple times to impress. By the end of the game, I had pretty much done everything interesting to do, so even though I was free to keep going, I couldn't find any real reason to.

I've been doing non-linear life simulators since Elite, so I'm always looking for that feeling of "Holy crap, this feels like a real world!"

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:53 pm UTC

Well, I've seen some interesting things happen in the game related to marriage. Because I had tow wives, I was being blackmailed by some guy named "D." Then at another point my daughter decided to wander off to go adventuring, just like mommy! And got herself kidnapped by Hobbes.

House buying still seems to be a marriage/rental thing though.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:18 am UTC

Has anyone else had any problems with the game yet? My game crashed. Upon reboot, the disk was unreadable. I thought it was the disk, so I returned it for a new one. The new one doesn't work at all.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:09 am UTC

Azrael001 wrote:Has anyone else had any problems with the game yet? My game crashed. Upon reboot, the disk was unreadable. I thought it was the disk, so I returned it for a new one. The new one doesn't work at all.
Yes, it killed my 360. Though, if you Google 'fable 2 freezes' you get quite a few hits on the results. I don't think its isolated to you, and hopefully they patch it soon. I only got the disk read error once before it froze for the last time. If you haven't tried clearing your cache, I'd try that, but, other than that I dunno, just hope lionhead is working on it I guess...

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:28 am UTC

How do I clear my cache? Also, it is no longer isolated to just my fable disk. Now none of my games work.

This is the second time that my disk drive has died.

Whispering

Postby Whispering » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:13 am UTC

SJ Zero wrote:For the people who have played it, how are the non-plot game elements?

I ask because it felt like a lot of the stuff in Fable was tacked on. You could buy houses, but the only things they were useful for is marrying and renting. They had an awesome non-linear mission selection system, but only two or three missions that weren't part of the plot. It had marriage, but you never really cared about your love doll because he or she never really did anything. Even Lady Grey became a RealDoll you needed to flex a couple times to impress. By the end of the game, I had pretty much done everything interesting to do, so even though I was free to keep going, I couldn't find any real reason to.

I've been doing non-linear life simulators since Elite, so I'm always looking for that feeling of "Holy crap, this feels like a real world!"

Yes if you have a kid it's integral to the plot but other than that no they just sit there and give you gifts/want sex . And there are tons of non storyline missions this time around.

Spoiler:
Lady Grey makes a comeback.
Kendo_Bunny wrote:The only thoughts you don’t tell him are the ones where you want to ride that sparkly ass like Seabiscuit.

Whispering

Postby Whispering » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:16 am UTC

Azrael001 wrote:How do I clear my cache? Also, it is no longer isolated to just my fable disk. Now none of my games work.

This is the second time that my disk drive has died.

To clear the cache:

Go to the system blade and then select memory.

Press Y on the HD symbol and then press X,X,Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X,X. Once you do this a messsage will appear saying: Do you want to perform maintenance on your Xbox 360 storage devices?

Bummer I haven't had any problems with my 360 other than it doesn't like Oblivion. Knock on wood.

Avelion

Postby Avelion » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:20 am UTC

Anyone else think that the ending of the main story was depressingly anti-climactic?

Spoiler:
Seriously, whose idea was it for you to simply walk into the bad guy's chamber, with no resistance, to just play a music box at him. Granted the ability to one hit kill the big bad with a shot to the groin was funny it just wasn't satisfying at all.
Last edited by Avelion on Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Cory Doctorow

Whispering

Postby Whispering » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:48 am UTC

Avelion wrote:Anyone else think that the ending of the main story was depressingly anti-climactic?

Spoiler:
Seriously, whose idea was it for you to simply walk into the bad guy's chamber, with no resistance, to simple play a music box at him. Granted the ability to one hit kill the big bad with a shot to the groin was funny it just wasn't satisfying at all.

Spoiler:
I was like that's it? I just shove him off and it's over? Well that sucks, oh well off to buy the whole world now.

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:02 am UTC

The ending:
Spoiler:
I thought the ending was sort-of-cool actually. Lucien didn't actually have any super-powers like you and your friends did (the hero-power, which makes you a hero), plus you got fate on your side. If it's predestined that you're going to win, why would you bother breaking a sweat for it? I wanted to hear his mad ramblings so I could laugh maliciously at him for being crazy, but thenFry Reaver killed him. Not too awesome, I admit, but I still feel it was better than ye clichèe grande battle...e I've had probably more than a hundred of in my career as a gamer.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Rizzo

Postby Rizzo » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:08 pm UTC

I've only played the game once, on my friend's 360. I found it sort of enjoyable, even though I was not able to do much as a secondary character. The dog in the story is a pretty sweet idea, simply because he changes his appearance based upon your choices. I also found the cities/the world to be huge, so that was what really made it enjoyable for me.

My friend said the storyline was terrible compared to Fable 1. Oh well...

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:14 pm UTC

My dog is awesome and everyone loves him. :)

I finally got married and had a kid for the achievements last night. I also shot a bunny.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:10 pm UTC

I want to play this again! my friend has it on the 360, and I want to play more...
Damn you! (I don't have a 360).
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:20 pm UTC

I have two. They are both broken. :cry:

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:25 pm UTC

Azrael001 wrote:I have two. They are both broken. :cry:

My friends who have fable went through I think 3 360s before their current one. They're none to happy with the faulty hardware, but love the games.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:37 pm UTC

I too love the games. I also hate the controls of every other game system, other than "the Duke" controller from Original Xbox.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:55 pm UTC

I'm just sad that between buying the wii and now, I've realized that I really don't want a wii.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:09 pm UTC

I now have a second wife. But didn't knock her up. I don't her filthy bandit germs. I made her live in a gypsy cottage.

mobikwa

Postby mobikwa » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:17 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:I now have a second wife. But didn't knock her up. I don't her filthy bandit germs. I made her live in a gypsy cottage.

I had a second wife, unfortunately I forgot where the first one was and they ended up meeting each other... so I killed them both and child protective services took my kid. But its ok, I have a new wife and daughter now.

I freaking love this game, I beat it a few days ago and I still cant put it down.

MechanicalPen

Postby MechanicalPen » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

I am loving Fable 2! I wish I had time to actually play it, though. I've been having fun running around and entertaining NPCs with my lute.
Spoiler:
My current wife is the one from the "death do us part" quest. My friend has hinted about being able to have a "zombie wife." This is awesome.

The thing that bothers me is the dieing. I wish it was more dramatic than just falling over and popping back up again. I was so angry the first time I died. ("You jerks ruined my face!")

Berengal

Postby Berengal » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:20 pm UTC

I died a couple of times, got a couple of scars, became somewhat angry because I was going for the "captain perfect" look with a halo and everything, but I ended up not caring too much because my guy was getting somewhat fat anyway (to the point of extreme obesity at the end of the game, which was a pretty funny look for him).

My current guy is going for the gnarly burly evil bad man look, but he just won't die, and all the food I find is either carrots or celery... It's a good thing being evil gives him some wannabe scars, or he'd look like a saint. Well, apart from the horns and glowing eyes. It's a good thing becoming evil is as easy as rampaging through a town or two, and you might get a few scars in the process as well. Doing that has opened my eyes to a rather appalling lack of greater consequences though. I got away with Murder x 20 by whacking a few hobbes. Doesn't seem right to me, does it?
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:35 am UTC

The community service seems a bit easy I agree.

Anyone else:
Spoiler:
Killed their wife for the dark sword from the shadow temple? I married a whore especially for it. I love the wheel of misfortune.

Berengal

Postby Berengal » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:06 pm UTC

Spoiler:
A friend killed ten wives to get that. He was adamant about about not killing one of them however, as she was his "real" wife. Then he got the quest to massacre Oakfield, and killed with the sword instead...

Whispering

Postby Whispering » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:36 pm UTC

Ian Ex Machina wrote:The community service seems a bit easy I agree.

Anyone else:
Spoiler:
Killed their wife for the dark sword from the shadow temple? I married a whore especially for it. I love the wheel of misfortune.

Spoiler:
And about 10 other people at the same time. I love having renown of 100k

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:51 pm UTC

So, I guess there is no way to fix broken windows and doors, ever?

Awia

Postby Awia » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:23 pm UTC

I've just completed the story and I'm now trying to do all the quests and buy everything in the world. Estimated time of completion: 2010
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:35 pm UTC

lowbart wrote:So, I guess there is no way to fix broken windows and doors, ever?

Not that I know of?

On the subject of petty vandalism, does anyone else cast Vortex near windows to smash them, and also when cast near some chairs anyone else seen them just fly out the walls in a circle?

MWPPrule215

Postby MWPPrule215 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:02 am UTC

I don't have an x-box so I can only play fable 2 when I'm at my boyfriend's house :(
I married the guy Alex from the Death do us part quest but I dont really like him too much... he's whiny because I've only visited him once since I married him, which was like 2 weeks ago but I havent played since then.... oh well. And I was broke because i didnt own any businesses and his allowance took all my gold.
we have a kid.... he doesnt like me.
And i FINALLY got some cool clothes yesterday...
I want to be evil but I dont want the horns.... my bf wouldnt let me kill Alex even though hes annoying.
I would get lost in this world if i didnt have the handy-dandy magic gold thread to tell me where to go :)
I Love this game.... especially the puppy who tells me where the treasure is :P
anyone know where I can get some cool looking clothes?

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:19 am UTC

Stuff of Awesome Magnitude:

-First, to be noted, me and my friend played as super-evil-badasses
-First town we enter, huge battle ensues, large civilian population dies, we murder over ten innocents and probably more guards, our orrid punishment:
Spoiler:
COMMUNITY SERVICE!

-We stop slaughtering for a bit and end up in a new town (brightwood?) well we marry there, then kill our wife, we then fight a few guards and run to the lake area.
-By now we're pretty powerful, we hold up our own against the onslaught of guards, then we go and kill a gypsy camp, completely and utterly decimated
-More guard killing

-The uber moment though, my friend was out of the room taking a call when we're about to pay 1000 gold for a map, I'm not about to lose that money, especially when I have the name of crazy to keep up.
-Safety: Off
-Bribing bastard: Dead
-The moral: Don't bribe psycho killers
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

Return to “Gaming”